I. Swallowtail Festival

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: I. Swallowtail Festival

#21 Post by onlyme »

Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#22 Post by hedgeknight »

"Hold still, dammit!"Festus roars, getting frustrated that he can't kill a frackin' goblin!!

Battle axe: [1d20+4] = 4+4 = 8, [1d8+6] = 6+6 = 12
Winter is coming...

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#23 Post by dmw71 »

The goblin surrounded by Eohanuud and Fulp keeps its eyes fixed on Eohanuud. It brings its curved blade down and catches the unarmored mage with a serious strike, gashing him in his leg and opening a grave wound (damage private). Eohanuud spills to the ground in a puddle of blood.

Satisfied it has enough food for its next meal, the salmon-toting goblin near the wagon quickly scans the battlefield for signs of the human with the bow -- and spies Sparrow. It begins to rush at the dark-skinned human waving its short, curved blade with numerous holes drilled into it while doing so. It lashes out once reaching Sparrow, but does so wildly.

The stage-diving trouble-maker frustrating Festus interrupts its singing and issues a hideous laugh in the direction of the dwarf. It quickly licks its blade, and with a crazed look on its face, swipes at his bearded foe again, but only manages to anger Festus even further. "Hold still, dammit!" he roars, growing frustrated that the pesky goblin has been able, and continues to elude his dwarven blade.

Fulp, witnessing the wicked blow that caused Eohannud to collapse in a puddle of his own blood, brings his walking stick around again and hears a cracking sound as his staff connects with the backside of the goblins oversized head. It topples over and falls unmoving on top of the bloodied mage. Ciar, whom had ditched his sling and switched to a short sword, drops his blade and falls to his knees at the side of Eohannud. He rolls the fallen form of the goblin off his companion and attempts to blind the most serious of the wounds the mage had received.

Sparrow, now being targeted by one of the small, ugly creatures, quickly slings his long bow and switches to a curved blade of his own. He lashes out, but the goblin dives out of the way. Sylvan, whom had intended on hurling his spear at the long-eared nemesis by the wagon, calls out: "i it, kopuk ukun intikam olacak!" Instead of throwing his spear into melee, where his companion presents the much larger target, he lowers his spear and rushes at the goblin instead, hoping to skewer it. The tip of his spear drops too soon and sticks in the dirt before reaching its intended target which jars Sylvan to a halt. The goblin darts his head around at the new threat and instinctively lashes out with his own blade defensively, and somehow manages to catch Sylvan in a critical spot (damage private) causing him to topple over, unmoving.

Actions?

Notes:
1) For Sparrow, I just used your first ranged attack for your melee attack. If you subtracted two arrows for the second round of combat, you can obviously add them back.
2) For Sylvan, per my rule on critical hits and misses, your natural 1 provoked a free counter attack against you. It was my idea to switch your spear toss into a melee attack since it fit the narrative, so I apologize.
3) The die roller has been unusually cruel.

Rolls
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#24 Post by hedgeknight »

Unaware of the peril of his companions, Festus feints and then finally strikes true on the goblin foe. "HAAAH!" he yells as his axe bites deep.

Battle axe: [1d20+4] = 13+4 = 17, [1d8+6] = 8+6 = 14

He would get a second attack this round but I believe that damage would kill a goblin; let me know and I'll roll again if needed. Otherwise, Festus will look around for more goblins to kill.
Winter is coming...

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#25 Post by Alethan »

After seeing there is no hope for the weak human, Ciar once again picks up his sword and goes after the nearest goblin, assuming there are still any around...
To Hit, Short Sword [1d20+2] = 7+2 = 9 Damage [1d6] = 3
Oh, come on. Enough with the crap rolls already!
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#26 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Sparrow takes another swing at the fishy goblin.

Attack w/ Scimitar [1d20] = 9 Damage [1d8] = 1

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#27 Post by onlyme »

Fulp, fresh from knocking out his goblin, looks to find the nearest one to him, and to attempt to end this skirmish.
He approaches and swats at whichever goblin is closest to him.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#28 Post by Starbeard »

Eohannud's senses quickly dim to nothingness. He no longer discerns or recognises the sounds of the scuffle around him, or recognises the players involved. A violent spinning sensation is all he can feel, and his last thought is to realise that that too is fading from his experience…

Man, what tough luck! That's what I get for throwing a fancy pants spell caster into a melee!

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#29 Post by dmw71 »

The goblin by the stage continues to wage battle with Festus, but the dwarven warrior proves to be too difficult to connect with. At the same instant, Ciar, fresh after an inspection of the fallen form of Eohannud, swipes at the goblin battling Festus but the pesky creature continues to remain more elusive than the halfling anticipates.

Sparrow and the goblin he is matched up against exchange meaningless blows. Fulp, fresh off his kill, gets into the fray with the small humanoid engaged with Sparrow but his staff attack glances harmlessly off the creature.

Festus finally manages to catch the pesky critter he found himself engaged with and completely severs its arm with a vicious blow.

One heavily wounded goblin, currently engaged with Sparrow and Fulp, is all that remains.

Actions?

Rolls:
-- Project --
-- DM --

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#30 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Sparrow swings again and hopes his comrades can do better against this lowly creature.

Attack w/ Scimitar [1d20] = 7 Damage [1d8] = 7

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#31 Post by Alethan »

Angered at the amount of death the creatures have brought to their group already, Ciar rushes up to the remaining goblin and jabs his sword into its lower back.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#32 Post by onlyme »

With so many fighting the goblin, Fulp will back away and attend to Sylvan, hoping to bind his wounds and see if there is a chance to save him.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#33 Post by hedgeknight »

With goblin blood dripping from his axe (and feeling some better about himself), Festus runs over to where Sylvan lies and stands over Fulp, protecting while he works to save their companion.
Winter is coming...

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#34 Post by dmw71 »

Angered at the amount of death the creatures have brought to their group already, Ciar rushes up to the remaining goblin and jabs his sword into its lower back, running it through. Sparrow pulls back on his own scimitar swipe now that the threat has been eliminated.

Festus stands over Fulp as he attends to Sylvan, and the pair are relieved to discover the hooded human is merely unconscious.

As the group spends a moment to recover from the unexpected intrusion, they can't help but notice that chaos that has engulfed Sandpoint. Other goblins race everywhere, running amok, singing and slashing indiscriminately.

Father Zantus rushes past the group, stopping only briefly as he spies Festus and Fulp standing over the fallen from of Sylvan.
Abstalar Zantus.png
Abstalar Zantus.png (26.83 KiB) Viewed 745 times
He quickly hands Festus a small vial of a clear liquid. "For your friend," he says breathlessly before rushing off to assist elsewhere.

Rolls
-- Project --
-- DM --

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#35 Post by onlyme »

dmw71 wrote: As the group spends a moment to recover from the unexpected intrusion, they can't help but notice that chaos that has engulfed Sandpoint. Other goblins race everywhere, running amok, singing and slashing indiscriminately.

How many (ballpark) would we see? a few, or an army of them?

Fulp feels relieved to know that Slyvan should be ok to fight another round. He can only wish that the poor mage had been likewise. He sees the goblins running around, and knows that none of them are immuned to the fate if they dont clear the town of these evil critters.
Festus, let me administer that vial. I believe you do a much better job at killing than I. We need to help clear out these goblins, or we will all be dead before long.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#36 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Sparrow drops his sword and grabs his bow again. He shoots at any goblins he sees, staying near and covering the rest of the group if possible.

Longbow [1d20+2] = 18+2 = 20 Dam [1d6] = 3 2nd arrow [1d20+2] = 17+2 = 19 Dam [1d6] = 5

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#37 Post by hedgeknight »

Festus hands Fulp the potion and stomps off toward the other goblins. "Let's go boys! We can't let these damned goblins terrorize the good folk of this town! For every goblin ya kill more than me, I'll buy ya a beer!"

Festus charges into the fray, hoping to chop and hack his way through the raiding goblins.

Added three attack rolls below...cause that's all Festus is gonna be doing until the bastards are gone!
Winter is coming...

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#38 Post by Alethan »

If Ciar is not in any immediate danger of melee attack by goblins, he happily pulls his sling out and slings steel pellets at any goblins he can see.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#39 Post by dmw71 »

Taking a beat to further survey the scene, there are dozens of the wild creatures running about and wreaking havoc. They shriek and leap and race and cackle, taking great joy in the panic and fear they spread among the locals. Some goblins wavetorches and light tents on fire, while others chase children and pets with ill intent. The entire time, certain goblins sing that horrifically catchy and nervewracking goblin song at the top of their lungs, further spurring their kin into murderous frenzy.

Everywhere you look, goblins tear through merchant stalls, menace locals with their dogslicers, throw rocks through windows, and otherwise make terrors of themselves.

Sparrow and Ciar prepare ranged attacks, but notice that the area, which moments earlier was filled with local festival goers, still finds many of them running to and fro, oftentimes being chased by the long-eared menanaces. They realize that firing into the crowd could potentially be a risky proposition.

Festus grips his axe and issues a challenge to his companions - an ale to anyone able to slay more of the foul creatures than he does.

Fulp lifts the head of Sylvan and administers the clear liquid from Father Zantus to his unconscious companion a little bit at a time and, before he knows it, the hooded human appears fully restored (healing results private).

More later, but the ranged attackers can feel free to amend (or not) their actions in light of the additional details just provided.
-- Project --
-- DM --

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#40 Post by onlyme »

Fulp is thankful that the potion seems to work.
Uh guys, thank we need to retreat, or go all in? I dont know our chances being so outnumbered, especially if the townsfolks dont fight back...

Return to “Dave's 2E Sandbox”