OOC 5 - Slow and Steady...

Magnus
Ranger
Ranger

Re: OOC 5 - Slow and Steady...

#461 Post by Magnus »

Zhym wrote:Ouch. I didn't think we'd get an update without Vorsyin at least being NPC'd.

How are we going to handle his actions if Computer +1 doesn't come back? We can't have another round without him doing something.
To directly answer your question, I will NPC him if we don't see CPU. But the npcing will be like he plays his character - conservative in many respects and definitely neutral.

It was a 1 seg surprise "round" and he is buried behind most of the party, so his sight of the field is limited so long as the party stays packed in like that. He thought about a lightning bolt, but did not really have a clear shot. And this is a very winnable fight without much heavy magic. The goal is to take the Rift, so V is going to hold his cards against a few giants and ogre mooks - at least for now.

If CPU is out (hopefully not though) someone has to take Flambeau before I will re-assign Vor.

PS - I will do the NPCing and round resolution in one fell swoop, so don't expect me to post separately for the character.

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#462 Post by Storm11 »

I will take Flam if you like.
Greys Campaign.

Magnus
Ranger
Ranger

#463 Post by Magnus »

Storm11 wrote:I will take Flam if you like.
Done.

:D

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#464 Post by Storm11 »

Just FYI, the dwarf has a strength spell cast upon his. But he is wearing gauntlets of ogre power according to his sheet, so wouldn't he have known that already before bestowing the spell. There for couldn't Flambeau have received the strength spell instead?
Greys Campaign.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#465 Post by Zhym »

If I could suggest a specific targeting for the fireball:
Screen Shot 2015-03-13 at 11.55.10 AM.png
Screen Shot 2015-03-13 at 11.55.10 AM.png (408.08 KiB) Viewed 1133 times

saalaria
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#466 Post by saalaria »

That's what I would support from a targeting perspective.

Cwreando
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#467 Post by Cwreando »

I changed Andor's action to reflect the new targeting parameters.
Trist Flameheart Multi-Class in progress Gray Elf Fighter/Mage 3/3 - Grey Wolf's Mystara Adventures (Ad&d 2e) Active
Durgo Brigthboon Fighter Human Level 3 - Spearment's Barromaze

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#468 Post by Zhym »

Magnus, do you have an opinion on whether paladins are obligated to accept surrender—or, conversely, not accept surrender?

Magnus
Ranger
Ranger

#469 Post by Magnus »

Zhym wrote:Magnus, do you have an opinion on whether paladins are obligated to accept surrender—or, conversely, not accept surrender?
Good question on an oft-discussed topic.

I generally believe paladins should not slaughter opponents who are surrendering...though a demon lord, etc. is probably a different story than your run-of-the-mill mooks. Terms of surrender are also fair game.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#470 Post by Zhym »

That makes sense. I've had discussions with people who swear that paladins fight evil, and <monster name here> is evil, so a paladin should always kill <monster name here> even if <monster name here> is trying to surrender. It just happens that that reasoning also lets the paladin avoid having to deal with prisoners. But a paladin's life is rarely that easy. I tend to agree that a paladin should show mercy when he can.

Magnus
Ranger
Ranger

#471 Post by Magnus »

Cool. I also believe that LAWFUL or GOOD characters need to respect the terms of a surrender.

On another note, CPU +1 is coming back. He just had a tough spell at work.

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#472 Post by GreyWolfVT »

yeah he's dropping out of the other games he started but work load was overwhelming from what he pm'd me about he plans to stay in just this game. As for the surrender I honored it even if it is a evil and enemy to a dwarf.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Magnus
Ranger
Ranger

#473 Post by Magnus »

Can you see the icy ledges in this photo?

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =1&theater

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#474 Post by Storm11 »

Yup
Greys Campaign.

Magnus
Ranger
Ranger

#475 Post by Magnus »

Storm11 wrote:Yup
Kinda sorta looks like the icy paths in the module.

PS - updated.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#476 Post by Zhym »

saalaria wrote:Not according to OSRIC but I am happy to go with whatever Magnus determines of course

Edit - as in concentration IS required
Where are you seeing that? Here's the OSRIC spell description for Insect Plague:
While casting this spell, the cleric designates a central point for the spell's origin up to 360 ft from where he or she stands. When the cleric utters the final words of the incantation, this focal point belches forth a massive cloud of stinging insects, which boils outward almost instantly to fill the spell's area of effect. Within the area of this massive cloud, visibility is limited to 30 ft, and all creatures automatically sustain 1 hit point of damage per round from the stings and bites of the number-less flying vermin. All creatures caught in the cloud with 4 or fewer hit dice must check morale, and those with 2 or fewer hit dice will automatically flee until they are 240 ft away from the edge of the roiling cloud. Fire and smoke will keep the swarm at bay (as will walls of force, etc.), but virtually the only way to disperse a swarm before the spell duration expires is to cast dispel magic upon the swarm's focal point. Even a fireball or flame strike will do nothing other than temporarily (1 turn) to clear the insects out of the area affected by their flames.
That looks like "cast it and forget it" to me, especially the part about nothing dispersing a swarm before the duration is over except dispel magic. That would seem to preclude ending the swarm by breaking the caster's concentration.
Storm11 wrote:I think it would be wise to wait and see if any dragons and their riders appear outside before we head within. The insects will keep the upper levels clear for a good while yet, we have a bit of time to wait another quarter of an hour or so and see. It takes time for word to spread and dragons to be mobilised I would think. Let's not waste what magic we have already through impatience. I mean if half of your house was suddenly infested you would wanna get outside quickly and check out what's causing it.
I wouldn't rely on the swarm necessarily keeping the levels clear. Damage of 1 HP/round is an annoyance, but hardly fatal on its own to frost giants. If the ground level of my house were suddenly infested, I might go to the basement, grab big cans of Raid and Off, and call an exterminator. Especially if I think the infestation is the result of an attack.

The giants might send more forces at us out here, but they might be building fires and finding other ways to negate the effects of the swarm. Our window to get at the rift and look around without giants getting in the way could be limited.

Besides, I'd rather fight giants in close quarters where their numbers can be limited. In the open, they could easily send a handful to engage us in melee while a dozen or more hang back and throw rocks at our casters. The first group we battled was a quick response. I'm not sure I want to hang back and wait for the giants' strategic response.

Magnus
Ranger
Ranger

#477 Post by Magnus »

Insect Plague does not require concentration. In fact, I don't think it can be directed once cast.

saalaria
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#478 Post by saalaria »

Hmm - no idea what I checked last week as clearly wasn't OSRIC or 1e as I (re)checked both and agree with you.
Oh well doesn't matter really!

saalaria
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#479 Post by saalaria »

Are you npcing Vor Magnus or waiting on Comp + 1?

Hollis wants to keep up with the party ideally.

Magnus
Ranger
Ranger

#480 Post by Magnus »

saalaria wrote:Are you npcing Vor Magnus or waiting on Comp + 1?

Hollis wants to keep up with the party ideally.
Waiting but not anymore.

I would assume that Vor follows Hollis, not the other way around.

Return to “Against the Giants (OSRIC)”