[Closed] Briarbeard Tavern (Vaul) - II

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

[Closed] Briarbeard Tavern (Vaul) - II

#1 Post by Keehnelf »

Continued from The Tavern.
Last edited by Keehnelf on Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Briarbeard Tavern (Vaul) - II

#2 Post by Zorroroaster »

March 18, 6:30pm

Orrin looks up from his ale at both Lars and Naila.

"Are we to be mining this obsidian? If so, we're going to need a pick. If neither of you have one, I'll pick one up in the morning. I have a week's worth of hard rations. Lars, how long do you think we might be away?"
()==[:::::::::::::>
[]-Orrin Lighthammer, Dwarven Gymnast-[] The Arch-Duchy of Vaul: A West Marches Labyrinth Lord Sandbox
[]-Arnulf The Banal, Manchild SuperMage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)
[]-Nai Tnam, Dwarven Cleric-[] Lair of the Black Druid - OSRIC
[]-Bronn Arnulfsen, Half-Orc Fighter-[] Valnwall, The Barrowmaze (LL)
[]-<[RIP]>Eduard d'Arnise, Elven Fighter/Mage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)

KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#3 Post by KingOfCowards »

March 18 6:30 pm
Lars thinks about Orrin's offer. "The shopkeeper said they were scattered among the broken stone. But I can't be sure we wouldn't need to dig."

He finishes off his drink. "The goblins worry me. So a little more muscle would not be unwelcome, but finding good help could be difficult. What say you Ghrym? Any good help to be recruited in town? I suppose we could always make an offer to one of the hunters or town guard."

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by AleBelly »

"No," Crivit replies. "He's a god unto himself. Said to be formed from the roots of the underworld itself. So what's an old lady like you doing out in Vaul?" he asks.

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by Zorroroaster »

March 18, 6:40pm

Orrin
nods to Lars.

"Okay, I'll head over and grab it in the morning. One or two other things I need to purchase before we head out anyway. Better to have it and not need it..."
[]-Orrin Lighthammer, Dwarven Gymnast-[] The Arch-Duchy of Vaul: A West Marches Labyrinth Lord Sandbox
[]-Arnulf The Banal, Manchild SuperMage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)
[]-<[RIP]>Eduard d'Arnise, Elven Fighter/Mage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Keehnelf »

Let me know via OOC text when you want a new expedition set up.

keal
Scout
Scout

#7 Post by keal »

AleBelly wrote:"No," Crivit replies. "He's a god unto himself. Said to be formed from the roots of the underworld itself. So what's an old lady like you doing out in Vaul?" he asks.
From a smaller table set alongside the rear wall, Adrik Longbeard snorted and nearly choked on his malted beer. "Begging your pardon, but you might want to be a pinch more careful with tossing about the 'old' word," he called out with a smile that began to stretch across his rounded face. "Unless it's something that's only unique to dwarven women, I s'pose....," he adds thoughtfully. "I joked once with my ma like that, and she nearly brained me with a shillelagh." Parting the hair on top of his head, he leans down for emphasis to show off the knot that still remains to this very day.

Standing, he hefts his mug - trying his best not to spill a beloved drop - and waddles over, clanking the entire way, to Crivit's table. "Adrik Longbeard, as it might please you," he says, introducing himself with a deep nodding of his head.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by Zhym »

Lug hears the talk of an outing. Lug likes outings, especially if he gets to smash goblins. "Hi. I'm Lug. I'll go with you," he says.

KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#9 Post by KingOfCowards »

March 18 6:45 pm
Zhym wrote:Lug hears the talk of an outing. Lug likes outings, especially if he gets to smash goblins. "Hi. I'm Lug. I'll go with you," he says.
Lars looks up at Lug. "I guess you'll do. We'll leave tomorrow"
To the others he shrugs doubtfully, "It looks we have our fourth. Feel any safer?"

1 sp deducted to get us to move Lars to the 19th.

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by Keehnelf »

I can move the dwarf back in time to the 19th as well if he wants, and you desire a 5th.

Mister-Kent
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#11 Post by Mister-Kent »

March 27
keal wrote:"No," Crivit replies. "He's a god unto himself. Said to be formed from the roots of the underworld itself. So what's an old lady like you doing out in Vaul?" he asks.
AleBelly wrote:Adrik Longbeard snorted and nearly choked on his malted beer. "Begging your pardon, but you might want to be a pinch more careful with tossing about the 'old' word."
Constance giggles. "Oh, it's fine, but thank you for your chivalry, sir!"

"I was, until quite recently, housekeeper to Grandulo the Great, one of the greatest wizards of the South. He ventured up thisaway, and disappeared, sadly. But I haven't given up hope of seeing him again!"

"Also, if you think I'm old, Grandulo was a mentor to my father, and was still quite spry when last I saw him!"

Constance is listed as being on the 26th, can I pay lodgings to have her moved up to the 27th? Or else she'll just time travel :D I know she's technically inactive, but she'll just bother people at Ghrym's until she can leave town!
DMing DUNGEONESQUE, LL AEC Gothic-weird fantasy
DMing CAT'S CRADLE, Stars Without Number/Other Dust
Playing
Constance Wyrdweather and Ruwyn Hollowheart in Labyrinth Lord: West Marches Sandbox (LL AEC)
Formerly Numen, Thisby Queller (RIP) and Radiant Olympia (RIP)!
Frekken Ribbitowicz in Mutant Future: Tales from Gam'A Zone (Gamma World)
Anne Summerisle and Gustav the Grasping in Caves of Chaos (LL)
Elden Vodarte in The Horror at Briarsgate (AD&D 1E)
I make the comics and arts! // Tumblr // DeviantArt // EnterVOID

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by Keehnelf »

Of course :)

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by Zorroroaster »

Orrin looks at Lug and Lars.

"Good to have another set of hands. I've got the pick. We can leave any time."

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by Keehnelf »

March 19, 1 VC - 10:00am

After some last-minute business in town, a group led by Lars heads out from town toward the still-unvisited Finger of Doom to the northeast. The members of his party are:

Lars
Orrin Lighthammer
Naila Rahni
Lug

Wish them luck! Especially where they are going, they may never return...

keal
Scout
Scout

#15 Post by keal »

Adrik smiled affably at the human woman's words, but he was still considering the word "old." The human reckoning of time is always so amusing, he thought. Even in spite of that train of thought, he bowed a bit before her and smiled and pulled out a chair. "Perhaps you'd enjoy sitting down since we're already in conversation? We can break bread together." Grunting with a little bit of effort, he also sat himself down on a slightly smaller chair, one that was more suited to his stature.

"I'm seeking some employment myself," he said, once he was situated and comfortable. He took another long swig from his mug and cleared away any excess foam from the corners of his mouth where his facial hair grew particularly densely.

Mister-Kent
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#16 Post by Mister-Kent »

"Thank you for the offer! I reckon its time I rest these old bones," Constance says, and sits. She has some trouble setting down her ten-foot-pole, and almost trips a barmaid, but cautiously prevents it at the last second.

"A job? Oh! I'm sure you won't have any trouble with that. I'm sure I heard locals speak of the Arch-Duke's standing offer of employment. As for myself, I've been a servant for nigh-on eighty years...and I still technically have a job, if I could just find my master."

"Have either of you ever hunted goblins?"
She shakes her head.
Playing
Constance Wyrdweather and Ruwyn Hollowheart in Labyrinth Lord: West Marches Sandbox (LL AEC)

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by Keehnelf »

March 19, 1 VC - 6:00pm

The expedition led by Varas to secure the tower to the northwest and find the black wolf to enact a treaty returned to town partially successful, with some loot and the tower secure but no sign of the wolf.

The expedition thread has been closed--check the final post in that thread for rewards.

keal
Scout
Scout

#18 Post by keal »

Mister-Kent wrote:"Have either of you ever hunted goblins?" She shakes her head.
"Goblins are," Adrik finally says, choosing his words carefully, "a bane on the existence of my people." Staring into the flames of the inn's fireplace, his voice takes on a droning quality. "We have warred with one another since the dawn of time, it seems. There has never been peace between a dwarf and a goblin.

"While I fully well know the dangers, I would relish the opportunity to rid the world of the goblin menace."

Mister-Kent
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#19 Post by Mister-Kent »

"Oh, my dear--that sounds like it would be quite dangerous!" Constance says, and clicks her tongue. "If you do choose to venture out, I think I'd have to come with you, for protection!" The old woman cackles cheerily, and gently pats Adrik's arm with encouragement.
Playing

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by AleBelly »

"Pleased to meet you, Adrik" says Crivit. "I have been attempting to convert goblins to my faith. I met a peculiar one...called himself an Ithgar or something like that. He was smarter and better spoken than the others. He even gave me a chance to speak to them about Veles. Still savage, though. He cut the head right off one in front of me! But that's not the most interesting part. I met a creature that hates goblins, told me that it enjoys killing them. He changed from a rabbit to a giant wolf right in front of my eyes!" he says, his breaths becoming louder and faster as becomes more animated.

"I'm trying to decide how best to serve Veles. Perhaps he's testing me? Is the best way to create good in the world to ally with this shapechanging Mangore (that's what the rabbit wolf calls itself) and eradicate goblins, or to convert them to good? Anyway, I found where this Mangore hangs out, and I'd like to go back and use my divine powers to determine if Mangore is evil. Problem is, it doesn't pay much to do this, and I need some coin. So I can wait on the whole Mangore thing.

I guess this is a long way of saying, I'd be happy to venture out with you if you'd have me."

Return to “History - Completed Expeditions”