OOC Discussion/Rules Questions

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: OOC Discussion/Rules Questions

#21 Post by Keehnelf »

Sure, I think a power like "Portals" would be great--and the difficulty of the task (like moving someone through into another plane without opening another way out, or taking someone or something with him) would just increase the TN.

keal
Scout
Scout

#22 Post by keal »

Well, could the portals have some sort of "psi" connection (due to the concentration part) that also allows him to pull off (rip off? hehe) a Psylocke power as well... what with the creation of psi-blades that can be held or hurled at targets?

I'm thinking that will be enough for now - just two powers, both stemming from some sort of psionic connection.

Perhaps, and this is just a loose idea I'm working with at the moment, he connected with the dimension psionically and draws upon it. At this point, he's not really sure how he does what he does, so he won't be aware that it's dangerous just yet. There are inklings - strange dreams he has now and again - that something is terribly amiss, but since he can't put his finger upon it in the waking world, he hasn't given it much attention or thought.

Ahh, youth. Stupid, stupid youth. :)

Mister-Kent
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#23 Post by Mister-Kent »

Ooh! Portals would be cool. Blink was a badass in the recent X-Men movie!
DMing DUNGEONESQUE, LL AEC Gothic-weird fantasy
DMing CAT'S CRADLE, Stars Without Number/Other Dust
Playing
Constance Wyrdweather and Ruwyn Hollowheart in Labyrinth Lord: West Marches Sandbox (LL AEC)
Formerly Numen, Thisby Queller (RIP) and Radiant Olympia (RIP)!
Frekken Ribbitowicz in Mutant Future: Tales from Gam'A Zone (Gamma World)
Anne Summerisle and Gustav the Grasping in Caves of Chaos (LL)
Elden Vodarte in The Horror at Briarsgate (AD&D 1E)
I make the comics and arts! // Tumblr // DeviantArt // EnterVOID

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#24 Post by Keehnelf »

Sure, those would just be two separate powers since they do different things!

keal
Scout
Scout

#25 Post by keal »

Yeah, well the overall thing that I'm working with right now is that while asleep, he tapped into something - and that something could be Something, or Someone, or what-have-you. Perhaps his spirit even left his body totally and went on a classic Spirit Quest. Perhaps he does it all the time when he's sleeping, and he's only faintly aware of it.

But each time he visits this Place (or this Person, or this Entity, or whatever), it comes through a little bit more into this world. Certainly the portals that he opens are handy, and it gets him and his friends from place to place quickly, but the yawning chaos of the hole that opens is always a little intimidating, because just like in the movie, while it shows what's on the other side, it's also ringed by an element of, for lack of a better term, chaos (perhaps with a big C, Chaos).

If you go through the portal and look (and sometimes he warns people not to) left or right instead of straight ahead, you get a glimpse, however brief, of Something That Is Not Right.

Unfortunately, he's had to open a portal and push someone through and close it again... and he's not sure what that's like, but if he had to guess... it's not good. Nor is it Good (but it Had to Be Done). Perhaps it was a life-or-death thing.

As you can see, especially with my abuse of the word "perhaps," much of this is still fast and loose. :)

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#26 Post by Keehnelf »

That all sounds excellent! Let's leave the details vague for now, except for one or two concrete experiences he might have had, and we can use the personal scenes to work things out in play in the direction that seems coolest.

Mister-Kent
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#27 Post by Mister-Kent »

Oh snap--my mind just flooded with story pitches! :D Nice concept Keal!
Playing
Constance Wyrdweather and Ruwyn Hollowheart in Labyrinth Lord: West Marches Sandbox (LL AEC)

keal
Scout
Scout

#28 Post by keal »

His name, also a work in progress, is Kevin Dwyer, who goes by the name of THRESHOLD!

Mister-Kent
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#29 Post by Mister-Kent »

YES

*imagines whacked-out brawl to this tune--Heatseeker and Threshold back to back against a sea of ninjas (or maybe just regular gangs, but costumed-up "The Warriors"-style)*
Playing

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#30 Post by Keehnelf »

Sounds outstanding! Feel free to go ahead and work up a character sheet and post in the characters thread!

keal
Scout
Scout

#31 Post by keal »

I will be doing just that at work tomorrow.

I have already copied all of the necessary materials over to my Google drive to get things going!

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#32 Post by Keehnelf »

Threshold looks awesome! I especially like the back story you've started to draw in. A couple quick things:

His health should be 11: fighting 3 + focus 4 + endurance 4

Please mark both of your powers as level 1 since you elected to take only two!

One of your contacts should be a Super--let me know if youd prefer to convert one, or to leave one off for now and replace them with a super of some kind for early use instead.

---

General notes:

It looks like Focus will be an important attribute for Heatseeker's danger sense, coordination or fighting for his enhanced agility, and either appeal or focus for his empathy depending on what he's trying to do.

Threshold is a lot more straightforward, with his existing powers primarily mental, so focus will be his main ability except in unusual circumstances.

I'll work on getting Issue #0 going once Threshold's contacts are updated!

Mister-Kent
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#33 Post by Mister-Kent »

Threshold looks awesome.
Playing

keal
Scout
Scout

#34 Post by keal »

Keehnelf wrote:One of your contacts should be a Super--let me know if youd prefer to convert one, or to leave one off for now and replace them with a super of some kind for early use instead.
Argh.

I knew there was something amiss, but I couldn't quite put my finger on it.

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#35 Post by Keehnelf »

I'm not saying scrap the other--just leave it as something to bring into play later so we don't get overloaded with too many things to tie together from the start. I want to make sure that all characters have a foot in both worlds at least a little bit.

keal
Scout
Scout

#36 Post by keal »

I'm leaving some of the things open deliberately about his past, like where his parents went (or what happened to them) and how he ended up as a ward of the state. I didn't define anything else about his powers or Where They Come From (heh). I didn't fill out anything else about Jimmy Vespa. I left some links open via Professor Tiberius, too, I suppose.

I hope all of this is okay.

Edit: Also, the Subterfuge comes from the notion that perhaps he discovered his ability to Jump and ended up doing what most kids would do - some petty theft here and there that quickly escalated into "bigger stuff." Enough to get him a rap sheet, perhaps.

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#37 Post by Keehnelf »

Yeah, I like it. So I'm assuming you are going with the Unregistered background for him?

I'll post in a second in the Issue #0 thread with my thoughts about its structure.

Thanks!

keal
Scout
Scout

#38 Post by keal »

Oh yeah, Unregistered is definitely the way he's leaning. If he does have a rap sheet, it's not going to look good if he's gallivanting about in a costume made mostly out of black cloth! :D

keal
Scout
Scout

#39 Post by keal »

I was going over the discussion/thoughts of the First Issue for me, and I'm actually quite flexible to whatever direction you'd like to take it. I'm also very much okay with flashbacks if there's a scene that needs to be established before a current scene can take place, etc. I'd like to believe that I can fit the proverbial mold, so feel free to lean a particular direction and let's see what happens!

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#40 Post by Keehnelf »

Okay, just wanted to check in so as not to go in one direction if you had solid thoughts about a different one!

Return to “The Vanguard - Comic Book Campaign”