What would you like to play/run? (Interest Catch-all)

I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: What would you like to play/run? (Interest Catch-all)

#21 Post by onlyme »

I'd be more for a tabletop game similar to Sid Meier's Pirates. Pillage the Caribbean, making deals with countries for letters of marques, broadsiding a couple frigates, etc... with a friendly medic nearby, just in case.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#22 Post by Scott308 »

Savage Worlds has a settings book, 50 Fathoms, that is fun to play and can provide you with a seafaring campaign, allowing you to determine your own level of piracy. We played as good guys, trying to earn a letter of Marque and trading goods instead of piracy, but it would be pretty easy to use that system and be full-on pirates. There is a bit of a fantasy edge to it, as there are odd races and magic so if you aren't interested in that you may want to look elsewhere, although you could skip that if you so choose I would say. If you have not played Savage Worlds, it is easy to learn.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#23 Post by ybn1197 »

I'm in for a colonial era "weird & wild" game, Colonial Gothic, Colonial Terrors for Call of Cthulhu, or Colonial Record.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#24 Post by rredmond »

Jim Kramer of Usherwood games is putting out a Western OSRIC expansion, Revolvers & Wizardry ( http://www.usherwoodadventures.com/blog/?p=1190 ) that I've been reading beta copies of... it's been interesting for sure.

--Ron--
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#25 Post by rredmond »

Wee taste:
Picture1.png
Picture1.png (1.27 MiB) Viewed 2076 times
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

Mister-Kent
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#26 Post by Mister-Kent »

So. Much. YES
DMing DUNGEONESQUE, LL AEC Gothic-weird fantasy
DMing CAT'S CRADLE, Stars Without Number/Other Dust
Playing
Constance Wyrdweather and Ruwyn Hollowheart in Labyrinth Lord: West Marches Sandbox (LL AEC)
Formerly Numen, Thisby Queller (RIP) and Radiant Olympia (RIP)!
Frekken Ribbitowicz in Mutant Future: Tales from Gam'A Zone (Gamma World)
Anne Summerisle and Gustav the Grasping in Caves of Chaos (LL)
Elden Vodarte in The Horror at Briarsgate (AD&D 1E)
I make the comics and arts! // Tumblr // DeviantArt // EnterVOID

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#27 Post by hedgeknight »

Good lawd!!
Winter is coming...

Mister-Kent
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#28 Post by Mister-Kent »

Mmm, just can't shake this supers fixation. I'm investigating OSR-style systems, Mystery Men, Hideouts & Hoodlums...I've already got a wicked city map ready and a gang encounter list from an aborted game. Now to see what works best!

Edito: Also, what do people think about running Vornheim (er a version of it)? I'd probably use Labyrinth Lord, Advanced Ed...
Playing
Constance Wyrdweather and Ruwyn Hollowheart in Labyrinth Lord: West Marches Sandbox (LL AEC)

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#29 Post by GreyWolfVT »

There's always the old school DC or Marvel supers systems... as well as what was it called Villains and Vigilantes?
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#30 Post by Scott308 »

Yup, Villains and Vigilanties, Mutants and Masterminds, Champions...

I don't really want to get into another game right now, but a supers game would be a temptation. I played Champions and Marvel Super Heroes at Gamehole Con this last weekend, and played Mutants and Masterminds on a Saturday gameday a few months back.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#31 Post by Rukellian »

While my game is currently going through a break, I am in the process of recruiting new players to both the hero and villian side of the story at hand. If anyone is interestd in playing 4C, do send me a PM and I can get you situated, prepared for when we do resume (sometime early next year).

-Rukellian
Even a child that receives one bit of praise has the ability to excel in a single talent, and those who receive regular encouragement can feel confidence, achieve success, and become leading members of society. Because they don’t believe they are worthless, they don’t need to raise a fist and have vengeance against fate or the world at large… ~Inspector Lunge

Q.Q Elf
Ranger
Ranger

#32 Post by Q.Q Elf »

I've been checking out the "Beta" version of the Apocalypse World: Dark Ages playtest, available here:
http://lumpley.com/index.php/awda

It's missing stuff. I think it's really quiet on the topic of marriage, gender, and inheritance... which should be a HUGE thing. The Dark Ages should be all about screwed up inheritance. That's what makes the Game of Thrones work, from a "realism" point of view. You might not know Salic law (or maybe semi-Salic inheritance), but you feel it in what's going on in Westeros.

Yeah, seeing Danaerys Targartyen in the bath is nice, but the Game of Thrones isn't just about naked women. Robert Baratheon had a legitimate blood claim to the Iron Throne, the twincest-y Lannisters do not, and then you have Danaerys lurking out there. And who is John Snow's real mother?

However, I see the potential in AW:DA if people care about the Dark Ages at all. It hardly could replace Dungeon World (which is aimed at the D&D experience), but AW:DA could be its own niche. AW:DA could eventually get towards the Game of Thrones, but you'd have to be aware of how that would work (a basic understanding of Salic law, for instance) before you could do it.

Mister-Kent
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#33 Post by Mister-Kent »

Just kickstarted the beta for Silent Legions, the OSR Lovecraft sandbox by Kevin Crawford, aka Sine Nomine Productions (Stars Without Number, Spears of the Dawn). It's radical! So much richness--tables for making your own Old Ones, cults, on-the-fly investigation creation. I'm tempted to run this...
Playing

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#34 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Heck I'd be happy if someone wanted to start a Fallout game on here too. ;)
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Eulalios

#35 Post by Eulalios »

Q.Q Elf wrote:I think it's really quiet on the topic of marriage, gender, and inheritance... which should be a HUGE thing. The Dark Ages should be all about screwed up inheritance. That's what makes the Game of Thrones work, from a "realism" point of view. You might not know Salic law (or maybe semi-Salic inheritance), but you feel it in what's going on in Westeros.
Yeah, this is a common failing in sourcebooks / rule sets.

A guy named Bruce Galloway tried to tackle this kind of stuff in an epic failure of game over-design called ... wait for it ... "Fantasy Wargaming."

It was fascinating (well-researched; complex; wonky; deep) but (for the "target market" of 12-15 yo boys) completely unSELLable. Not unplayable - I actually ran a game with it when I was 13ish - but utterly lacking in all qualities that would make it a marketable product as opposed to The Original Fantasy Heartbreaker. Still, if you can find a copy, might be worth a look.

I am hoping that the 5e DMG might touch this stuff. But as I've skimmed the excerpts on WotC website, I am ... uneasy ... and doubtful. Have you seen what they've done to Poisons? Marshmallow-coated rules with a (non-toxic) candy center.

keal
Scout
Scout

#36 Post by keal »

I know that these things are taking place all over the web (here and in other places), but I would like to participate in a B/X game or perhaps something making use of the Rules Cyclopedia to run some of the original modules for oD&D that I never got the chance to play as a kid. Things like "Horror on the Hill" and "Keep on the Borderlands," et al.

I realize that most of these games are about survival and smart playing and frequently avoiding combat entirely. That's okay, too, especially if all involved were having fun.

The reason I would like to play a module is that many of them were a lot of fun that I missed out on, and they are pre-written and include so much detail that the person running the game would really only have to focus on the mechanics and keeping the game afloat instead of having to come up with ideas. More energy could be spent making sure the game *functions* and is entertaining, so it would be less stress in the long run for the DM I imagine.

Mister-Kent
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#37 Post by Mister-Kent »

Inspired by Keehnelf's lovely West Marches campaign, I was thinking of running something similar with Mutant Future. I was just rolling up some characters whilst bored at work and forgot how much fun the mutations could be! There'd have to be some logistical thinking with regards to flight and such, but I think a post-apoc sandbox West Marches style would be fun!
Last edited by Mister-Kent on Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Playing

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#38 Post by Keehnelf »

Mister-Kent wrote:Inspired by Keehnelf's lovely West Marches campaign, I was thinking of running something similar with Mutant Future. I was just rolling up some characters whilst bored at work and forgot how much fun the mutations could be! There'd have to be some logictical thinking with regards to flight and such, but I think a post-apoc sandbox West Marches style would be fun!
You know, ideas have been percolating in my head for an open-world supers game inspired by the west marches style that I have not even the tiniest shred of time to think about shaping or trying to make happen, but my takeaway is: there are elements of that conscious approach that are really usable for a number of different genres. I like the idea of a post-apoc exploration game in that style. Good luck if you give it a try! I'll try to peel some time to participate :)

Mister-Kent
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#39 Post by Mister-Kent »

Ooh West Marches supers! I had a vague inkling about that myself!
Playing

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#40 Post by Keehnelf »

Yeah, I had the idea of a very, very simple home-designed system combined with the BWHQ philosophy of "say yes or roll the dice", and what could be an interesting "issue-based" serial adventure format to keep things structured and reasonably light but dramatic...

Anyway, enough of that: I'm already overextended.

Return to “Looking for players or games”