(IC) Acrewood College Prep - Homeroom, scene 3

Q.Q Elf
Ranger
Ranger

Re: (IC) Acrewood College Prep - Homeroom, scene 3

#61 Post by Q.Q Elf »

Okay... so, Seth is tagged with Blame. I think Clarence can tag 2 people... actually, it says to give 2 people Blamed. You may have an option in that or not. The other part for 7-9 says "up to 2 people", but there's consequences with the option. I guess I'm just thinking it through. If you'd like to spread the fun, consider it.

As for mechanical effects of being a Ghost, I would say that the book is as clear about that as being a Werewolf. It's really about the symbolism of being a monster, and the impact of that on the story.

So, yes, the Werewolf can affect the Ghost with Harm. 2 Harm on Clarence.

The response... Clarence attacking the Werewolf.
So, clear hit.
1 Harm.
+1 Harm from Vengeful attack on the blamed (automatic).
Potentially +1 Harm from a successful 10+ roll for the Vengeful/Lash Out.
So it's 3 Harm, assuming you choose Harm at every choice you can make.

Blamed is a Condition, but a Condition shouldn't affect Harm (aside from enabling Vengeful, which we've accounted for).

(Actually, re-reading the Harm section, it says, "If you have giant f***ing claws... it's 2 Harm." Of course, the "Lash Out Physically" section says 1 Harm on a successful attack. Maybe I should have looked at the Werewolf's attacks differently... I'll have to do more research and think about it some more. Apocalypse World says more about this stuff (especially since there are assault rifles & such in there), so I'll read through it. Well, we are where we are at, in any case.)

Anyway, as I see it, it's a potential for 3 Harm. Putting it in perspective in Apocalypse World, 3 Harm is similar to a blast from a Sawed-Off Shotgun.

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#62 Post by Rukellian »

So Monkeywrench, it would appear as if we are about to knock each other out with bullets and claws. Call it a draw and think about what we've just done afterwards? :lol:
Even a child that receives one bit of praise has the ability to excel in a single talent, and those who receive regular encouragement can feel confidence, achieve success, and become leading members of society. Because they don’t believe they are worthless, they don’t need to raise a fist and have vengeance against fate or the world at large… ~Inspector Lunge

Q.Q Elf
Ranger
Ranger

#63 Post by Q.Q Elf »

So...
At Harm 4, we have options.
  • Death. Character exits the game. (We can introduce a new student at this point.)
  • Become Darkest Self. (This isn't on the table since both Seth and Clarence have gone over to the Dark side.)
  • Lose all Strings on other characters. (The least catastrophic.)

Avoiding Death also gives you the drained Condition.

Anyway, I'll have more when I'm back from Church.

Q.Q Elf
Ranger
Ranger

#64 Post by Q.Q Elf »

Krakkrakkrakrak! The assault rifle spits hot steel jacketed fire all around Seth. While his Werewolf form likely wouldn't be killed by the bullets, they hurt. (mc voice: 3 Harm on Seth. While I could probably find a case in Apocalypse World to make the situation worse off for Seth, I don't think we'll go there... yet.)

Seth instinctively rips through the air all around the assault rifle. The Werewolf claws don't connect with anything physical, but in the nightmare realm of the spirit, they rip giant tears through Clarence's non-corporeal essence. (mc voice: 3 harm the other way, too, right?)

The nurse and the librarian dive for the floor, whimpering in fear. There are shrieks and screams in the classrooms all around where the gunfire erupts. It's everyone's worst nightmare - a shooting, in the school.

Buzrrzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzrrrrrr! Someone's pulled the fire alarm. Doors slam shut all along the hallway as classroom begin to shelter in place.

Frederick fades in and out of consciousness. Vanessa convulses, the Wolf saliva coursing through her veins like fire. She moans in agony, making swiping claw-like motions with her hands.

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#65 Post by Rukellian »

The ghost will hightail it out of the school, running towards any kind of exit he can find, as fast as he can in his wounded state, dropping the gun which is just extra weight at this point.

Damn that monster! Its instincts are too damn sharp. If I weren't a ghost, I'd be dead right there and then! Need to get away, fast! Where though... where is it safe now?! W-what is this feeling? I'm losing my grip on this realm?! Damn it, give me some time!

Clarence begins to head towards the room shown in his vision, hoping that he will find a safe exit through there. At this point, he will settle for anything that does not put in him in the path of the coldness or ripping claws of a beast. He will have his revenge, but all in good time...
Even a child that receives one bit of praise has the ability to excel in a single talent, and those who receive regular encouragement can feel confidence, achieve success, and become leading members of society. Because they don’t believe they are worthless, they don’t need to raise a fist and have vengeance against fate or the world at large… ~Inspector Lunge

Q.Q Elf
Ranger
Ranger

#66 Post by Q.Q Elf »

Rukellian wrote:The ghost will hightail it out of the school, running towards any kind of exit he can find, as fast as he can in his wounded state, dropping the gun which is just extra weight at this point.
Okay, I guess I need you to roll for Run Away... which is +Volatile.
It's my opportunity to mess with the situation some more, I guess.

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#67 Post by Rukellian »

Q.Q Elf wrote:
Rukellian wrote:The ghost will hightail it out of the school, running towards any kind of exit he can find, as fast as he can in his wounded state, dropping the gun which is just extra weight at this point.
Okay, I guess I need you to roll for Run Away... which is +Volatile.
It's my opportunity to mess with the situation some more, I guess.
[2d6-1] = 6-1 = 5 Have fun :)

MonkeyWrench
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#68 Post by MonkeyWrench »

So rolling a 5 means he doesn't in fact run away? Or I guess something is not able to let him run away...

After the rifle sends the school on lockdown, is there anyone else in the hallway? Or did the teachers bolt for the nearest classrooms before the doors automatically locked?

and lastly, if there is no one else I'm thinking with 3 harm Seth's instinctively going to retreat to heal up. Plus I am curious on the darkest form werewolf attacks from your last comment of the book saying big ass claws should deal 2 damage, because if so then I've killed everyone... :twisted: I'm interested in what you, the MC, comes up for it.

Seth swipes at the air, his of supernatural state allowing him to harm the entity attacking him. As the rifle drops to the ground he see's no more threat, feeling wounded he feels the need to escape and heal. As he begins to leave sniffs the air, swiveling his massive furred head towards the feverish and clawing Vanessa; He limps over and takes hold of her, dragging her away with him as he attempts to make a hasty retreat.

Seth Volatile Roll: [2d6+1] = 9+1 = 10 - Awesome! he was able to run away :lol:
Life is a roller coaster, if you don't stop to enjoy it then you may as well not even ride.

Q.Q Elf
Ranger
Ranger

#69 Post by Q.Q Elf »

Rukellian wrote:[2d6-1] = 6-1 = 5 Have fun :)
Ah, yes, time for MC f***ery. :lol:
A 5 means I can take a Hard Move. This might mean the failure of an action, or it might mean a complication. I try to opt for complicated stuff. It's more fun :)

Clarence bolts from the scene, his ghostly form weeping ectoplasm into the nightmare realm between life and death. The halls of the school are empty, quiet. Behind Clarence, the floors and walls turn white with frost.

The fire alarms still emit an ear-splitting noise. Bright lights pulse rapidly in the hallways, which would alert the hearing-impaired to the current alarm. It's altogether unsettling and disturbing, even to the dead.

Somehow, Clarence ends up in the gymnasium. The lights are on, but there are no students in the large and empty room. The fire alarm noise echos throughout the place, but it's quieter... a bit. The distance from the fire alarm speakers to the different corners of the gymnasium makes the alarm sound less piercing.

Clarence finds a place to hunker down beneath the bleachers. It's safe as safe can be at the moment. Hidden from sight, even for people who are still visible.

The door to the gym slams open, and shuts again. There's a noise of footsteps, and hushed voices. Two more people slip under the bleachers. The light filtering through the bleachers casts all sorts of shadows on Clarence's visitors, but their voices are distinctive.

Victoria says, "I can't believe this is happening... who the hell could have gone all Call of Duty on the school? Vanessa isn't here today. And what about that guy who sits next to Vanessa... Clark Defray? That creepy guy, who always shows up in weird places?"

Lucinda says, "Are we safe? This is so f***ed up, Victoria. What the f***? And when all that crazy invisible ghost sh*t happened? I thought I saw my big brother... Clarence. You remember? He died a couple years ago... I thought I saw him, for a moment, I thought I saw him."

Lucinda shivers in the dark, suddenly noticing the chill in the air.

Q.Q Elf
Ranger
Ranger

#70 Post by Q.Q Elf »

MonkeyWrench wrote:and lastly, if there is no one else I'm thinking with 3 harm Seth's instinctively going to retreat to heal up. Plus I am curious on the darkest form werewolf attacks from your last comment of the book saying big ass claws should deal 2 damage, because if so then I've killed everyone... :twisted: I'm interested in what you, the MC, comes up for it.
Yeah, Frederick and Vanessa probably should be dead... let's say that Frederick is bleeding out, and going to die. He's mortal, and I think he served his purpose to the story.
Vanessa? She had the deal with the devil (or the devil's facsimile) that gives her extra powers, and you also said you wanted her to make the change. I think she may have a role to play.
As for Clarence... again, I'll pretend ignorance. I think the encounter might have been different if he were closer to death. So we'll leave that one as is.

Since the teachers are down, and cowering (not actively in the way), we can say they aren't attempting to stand in Seth's way, so he doesn't have to destroy them.

Seth bursts through the doors, and escapes into the woods. Behind him, he leaves the sounds of sirens. Seth's escape is uncomplicated, but effective, going deeper into the trees that ring the town... and into the old hunting grounds of his pack, where few humans choose to enter.

MC Voice: Since Seth is in Darkest Self, anything less than total evacuation is probably going to lead to a lot of problems... so that's how I'm interpreting the dice roll result.

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#71 Post by Rukellian »

Of course.... :lol:

Clarence, in his ghostly ectoplasmic bleeding state, finds refuge under the gymnasium bleachers. Even though he knows no one can see him, he doesn't want to take any chances. It is upon the sight of Victoria and Lucinda rushing towards his very spot and hiding as well that he looses his shit.

No no no no no no! OH GOD, YOUR F--kin' kidding me, aren't you! Of all the places, why come here?! There was plenty of bleacher space on the OTHER side! Shiiiit!
Victoria says, "I can't believe this is happening... who the hell could have gone all Call of Duty on the school? Vanessa isn't here today. And what about that guy who sits next to Vanessa... Clark Defray? That creepy guy, who always shows up in weird places?"

Lucinda says, "Are we safe? This is so f***ed up, Victoria. What the f***? And when all that crazy invisible ghost sh*t happened? I thought I saw my big brother... Clarence. You remember? He died a couple years ago... I thought I saw him, for a moment, I thought I saw him."
Clarence starts to shake and tense up when he hears the conversation being held. It would seem as if they have not caught on to his exact location yet, nor are they aware that he is here... but for how long will this last he wonders.

Interesting... that Victoria chick with the big ass cross doesn't seem to know I am here, but how did she know to use such a thing? Invoking the lord's prayer in ancient tongue as well... who is she? And that sister of mine, she knew for two whole years. I was dead for two... whole... years. How could I have not realized this sooner? Was I really in such heavy denial of my true fate? I don't remember seeing this side of her before, just what the hell is going on?

Clarence clutches his ghostly head with his ghostly hands and staggers backwards as if he still had feet. He shakes his head and stares at the ground, his mind spinning from everything that is going on. He will try to hold himself steady as best he can. [2d6+1] = 11+1 = 12

I'd like to carry one forward using this roll.

MonkeyWrench
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#72 Post by MonkeyWrench »

Q.Q Elf wrote:
MonkeyWrench wrote:and lastly, if there is no one else I'm thinking with 3 harm Seth's instinctively going to retreat to heal up. Plus I am curious on the darkest form werewolf attacks from your last comment of the book saying big ass claws should deal 2 damage, because if so then I've killed everyone... :twisted: I'm interested in what you, the MC, comes up for it.
Yeah, Frederick and Vanessa probably should be dead... let's say that Frederick is bleeding out, and going to die. He's mortal, and I think he served his purpose to the story.
Vanessa? She had the deal with the devil (or the devil's facsimile) that gives her extra powers, and you also said you wanted her to make the change. I think she may have a role to play.
As for Clarence... again, I'll pretend ignorance. I think the encounter might have been different if he were closer to death. So we'll leave that one as is.

Since the teachers are down, and cowering (not actively in the way), we can say they aren't attempting to stand in Seth's way, so he doesn't have to destroy them.

Seth bursts through the doors, and escapes into the woods. Behind him, he leaves the sounds of sirens. Seth's escape is uncomplicated, but effective, going deeper into the trees that ring the town... and into the old hunting grounds of his pack, where few humans choose to enter.

MC Voice: Since Seth is in Darkest Self, anything less than total evacuation is probably going to lead to a lot of problems... so that's how I'm interpreting the dice roll result.
I would agree, just some clarification though, did he drag Vanessa with him? Or does total evacuation mean he just straight up ran?
Life is a roller coaster, if you don't stop to enjoy it then you may as well not even ride.

Q.Q Elf
Ranger
Ranger

#73 Post by Q.Q Elf »

MonkeyWrench wrote: I would agree, just some clarification though, did he drag Vanessa with him? Or does total evacuation mean he just straight up ran?
MC Voice: Oh, yeah... that's what I get for posting right before bed. That's potential for MC F***ery!

Vanessa is curled in a ball, out there in the woods. She's shivering uncontrollably, a fever ripping through her wounded form. She's stopped bleeding, though. Her fingers still clutch at air, claw-like. Her scent is that of Pack, and therefore not for killing... but there's something else there. A lingering smell of sulfur and ash.

Through chattering teeth, and wandering fevered eyes, she hisses, "What did you DO to me?"

The sound of a vehicle in the woods. A 4-wheeler, rolling through this stretch of the woods. The sound of cracking and snapping branches mean that the other presence is close. Also smelling of Pack.

An older man, dressed in old Army surplus, on the back of a utility 4-wheeler that is covered in camo duct tape and sprayed with dull green paint. A shotgun is in a carrying case, strapped to the back deck of the 4-wheeler. The man doesn't just smell of pack. He smells of family.

As he dismounts the 4-wheeler, the man asks Seth, "Son, who is this? And why is she with us?"

MonkeyWrench
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#74 Post by MonkeyWrench »

Seth backs up, lowering his head in respect to his own family pack leader, his own tattered cloth remains hanging off him, as he responds his tone is respectful, "There was an attack at the school..." He looks at the feverish Vanessa as she is curled up in a ball staring at them, "Someone brought a gun and I was shot a few times then... I turned, I think I killed someone." He points to Vanessa as he continues, "She was the only one who saw me turn, I bit her and could feel the change coming onto her so I took her with me... there's something else about her too, smells demonic. I was running on instinct after being shot... I'm sorry father..." He adds that last bit with reluctance, his head hung in shame.

EDIT: looks like we made it to Seth's family, wasn't sure if we'd ever see them! Will you be making the background for them? as to why they decided to settle here and who they are? If you don't care I can certainly write a family history up and run it by you.

EDIT2: added a bit more to the dialogue...

Q.Q Elf
Ranger
Ranger

#75 Post by Q.Q Elf »

The more I thought about it, the more I realized you couldn't take Seth and a new person to the hunting grounds without getting the Pack involved... so it was time. How this will work with the Horned Prince stuff, I dunno... 8-)

The Pack Leader looks conflicted, staring at his son, the girl, and the gun strapped to the 4-wheeler. "Another death on our hands... another life at our feet. You bring us troubles, son. Why did you bring her here?"

He sniffs the air around Vanessa. "As she is, she is a threat to the hunting grounds. Her master is the true threat. If we killed her here, it would not change the threat to the Pack. If you left her there, the threat would still be the same... ready to spring upon us like the jaws of an iron trap.

"We have no business dabbling in the affairs of their kind, and you were wrong to share our gift with her... but her master would have reached us before too long, and leaving her to die would only have delayed the inevitable."

He shakes his head at the turn of events. The man considers asking his son about how he would solve the problems, but Pack leaders do not ask. "We must prepare the Pack. It is time for us to find new hunting grounds, and leave this area behind."

MonkeyWrench
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#76 Post by MonkeyWrench »

Seth looks to his father briefly, nodding in understanding. He eyes go back to Vanessa, "What of her? The world is not kind to new pups who do not know their heritage..." He turns his head to now gaze at her, "She will have to choose between the power in her veins and the master that holds her soul..."

Q.Q Elf
Ranger
Ranger

#77 Post by Q.Q Elf »

Okay, Holding 1? I guess I can't monologue too much more, then.
Of course, the question still is how we will get Clarence out of Darkest Self. Seth facing his Pack Leader... that's good enough, I guess. I don't know how to resolve the Clarence/Lucinda angle, though.

Lucinda and Victoria keep huddled together for warmth in the unusual chill under the bleachers. Both girls keep quiet as the school fire alarm keeps buzzing overhead.

There is the sound of sirens outside the school. A lot of them. It's like all the cops and fire fighters and paramedics in town have circled the school.

SWAT officers sweep the entire school, room by room. They pause at the scene where Frederick lies dead, noting the blood spatters all around the scene of the crime. The school nurse and the librarian offer up a description of a hideous monster with an assault rifle (because who could imagine a Werewolf fighting against an invisible person with a gun?), which the police officers write confusedly into their notepads.

At the gymnasium, the SWAT team extricates Lucinda and Victoria from under the bleachers in the gym, taking them to a safe point outside to be reunited with their parents. Then Clarence is left alone again, under the bleachers. The fire alarm may be off, but the school echoes with the sound of the police officers working the scene.

MC Voice: Are we getting close to ending this scene as well? We've splintered all over again. Clarence is hiding, Seth has gone off to wolf-land. :lol: Summer is messed up, and not being Lucinda's bitch at the moment, though. :lol:

MonkeyWrench
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#78 Post by MonkeyWrench »

Id say so... and the pack is leaving? Hmmm.... I am curious as to what you have hidden in those sleeves Q.Q

Q.Q Elf
Ranger
Ranger

#79 Post by Q.Q Elf »

The father looks to his son, and shakes his head. "She is your responsibility now, son. You know she cannot go back to who she was. If she turns to serve her new master... well, you know what must be done. She cannot live, for the good of the Pack. We cannot jeopardize our safety for her, especially since she serves the Dark powers.

"Neither can she return to her old life, with her parents and family. Not yet, anyway. Until she knows herself, her new... true self, we are in danger from what little she does know now.

"Again, son, if she tries to leave for her parents' sake, you know what must be done. She must be put down, for the good of the Pack."

MC Voice: The Pack leaving? It's all about choices that force Seth into confronting adults & feeling alienated... because that's what the story demands. :lol:

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#80 Post by Rukellian »

Q.Q Elf wrote:Okay, Holding 1? I guess I can't monologue too much more, then.
Of course, the question still is how we will get Clarence out of Darkest Self. Seth facing his Pack Leader... that's good enough, I guess. I don't know how to resolve the Clarence/Lucinda angle, though.

Lucinda and Victoria keep huddled together for warmth in the unusual chill under the bleachers. Both girls keep quiet as the school fire alarm keeps buzzing overhead.

There is the sound of sirens outside the school. A lot of them. It's like all the cops and fire fighters and paramedics in town have circled the school.

SWAT officers sweep the entire school, room by room. They pause at the scene where Frederick lies dead, noting the blood spatters all around the scene of the crime. The school nurse and the librarian offer up a description of a hideous monster with an assault rifle (because who could imagine a Werewolf fighting against an invisible person with a gun?), which the police officers write confusedly into their notepads.

At the gymnasium, the SWAT team extricates Lucinda and Victoria from under the bleachers in the gym, taking them to a safe point outside to be reunited with their parents. Then Clarence is left alone again, under the bleachers. The fire alarm may be off, but the school echoes with the sound of the police officers working the scene.

MC Voice: Are we getting close to ending this scene as well? We've splintered all over again. Clarence is hiding, Seth has gone off to wolf-land. :lol: Summer is messed up, and not being Lucinda's bitch at the moment, though. :lol:
This is definitely a tough situation for Clarence, especially when it comes to getting out of his darkest self. The trigger to go back to normal requires his presence to be acknowledged by someone while also being genuinely wanted by their side. The skin was pretty specific about this. So, the way I see it, Clarence might have a chance of returning back to normal if either A) a player realizes that I am dead and has a strong reason to want to see my dysfunctional character again, B) Vanessa or Lucinda comes around and shows a different side that needs Clarence for one way or another, or C) the chosen one of the campaign, Victoria, figures out what is going on with my character, and tries to help him?

Right now, my character's immediate priority is to rest and take it easy, regain his ghostly stamina and maintain his grip to this world for another day. He will probably slip out of the school and return to his apartment, a familiar place to relax and collect his thoughts.

Upon heading to his apartment, his mind starts to finally slow down and he comes to two realizations. He won't be able to return to school anymore, or his work for that matter, and for some reason... a nagging guilt seems to be clinging in the back of his mind. Images of the hospital flash forth and he thinks of the girl he set his rage upon, that Summer Bartlett.

I was blinded by anger and vengeance, going through an incredible pain, still going through the pain of death, but still, I shouldn't have lashed out like that. Summer was only trying to protect someone. I need to apologize, somehow...

Return to “Monsterhearts: Against my better judgment”