INTO THE RIFT!!! (G2 - Part 1)

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: INTO THE RIFT!!! (G2 - Part 1)

#141 Post by Zhym »

Nothing so trivial as a little ice is going to keep Gaerys from killing giants.

Giantbane (THAC0 12) (vs. true giant): [1d20-1] = 20-1 = 19 Dmg: [1d12x2] = 8x2 = 16+12

Natural 20, baby! Hoo-yah!

saalaria
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#142 Post by saalaria »

Hollis does indeed cast Flame Strike, shouting to Vorsyin before he does.

"Let me try this now Vor"

Can I put the strike right on top of the two giants that are close to each other by the number 16 and hit both - do you agree Magnus?

Flame Strike [6d8] = 24

Magnus
Ranger
Ranger

#143 Post by Magnus »

Yes, Sam.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#144 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Flam will wait on his spell until the group of them bunches up closer. Instead he throws Firesledge again, relishing in these huge targets.

Firesledge [1d20+6] = 8+6 = 14 Damage [1d6+4] = 1+4 = 5 + [1d6] = 5

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#145 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Rommel a bit more encouraged now that he has returned some pain to the giant that decided it was time to go clubbing. Keeps the flames of the sword burning and goes for another strike. "Tis but a scratch. Die vile villain!" he retorts to the giant.
Flaming Claymore +1[1d20 +3] = 12+3 = 15 to hit [2d4 +3] = 7+3 = 10 s/m dmg [2d8 +3] = 9+3 = 12 lrg dmg
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Cwreando
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#146 Post by Cwreando »

Lorath flies over the giants in between the groups and takes the form of Large horned devils. He cast Magic Missile on one of the three giants facing Olaf, Rommel and Flam. He directs his missile to hit live targets not slain by his friends to maximize their effectiveness. He says quickly, "3 Giants and 4 Juggernauts on the way. In Giantish he says Laughing as a devil might. Your days are numbered Giants. Devils and Demons shall visit you in your sleep."

Lorath would now be between F and M on the map. Both groups of giants above and below could see him.

Lorath hopes the visage of the two devils might cause the Giants to pause allowing his friends to exploit the situation. Speaking in their tongue would give them pause as well.

Lorath's Magic Missiles A [1d4+1] = 2+1 = 3 B [1d4+1] = 2+1 = 3 C [1d4+1] = 4+1 = 5 D [1d4+1] = 3+1 = 4

These missiles can be split to living giants as giants fall in combat.
Trist Flameheart Multi-Class in progress Gray Elf Fighter/Mage 3/3 - Grey Wolf's Mystara Adventures (Ad&d 2e) Active
Durgo Brigthboon Fighter Human Level 3 - Spearment's Barromaze

Magnus
Ranger
Ranger

#147 Post by Magnus »

Round 4

The giants take initiative!

In the close melee, all six giants still stand. They all lash out at the party's front-line fighters, all four of whom feel the wrath of the giants' steel and stone, though to greatly varying degrees.

Rommel - 12 damage
Olaf - 16 damage
Arqos - 4 damage
Gaerys - 18 damage

Those fighters strike back - Gaerys and Argos (with an assist from Marcus) each bring down their opponent. The frost giant bodies collapse heavily to the floor. Now, the three men face off against a single frost giant spearman.

Rommel also brings down his opponent, who is now reduced to a charred and bloody piece of meat. Flambeau inflicts another heavy blow on the giant fighting Olaf, while the stout fighter finally joins the party, drawing a river of giant blood with a kiss from Skullsplitter! The odds are now two party members versus two giants.

The giants in the background become interested in the fight. The juggernaut squad moves east and south - towards the boulder serving as a "back door" to the cavern. One juggernaut lingers behind...pulling a boulder from its bag. The blackguards also disperse -- two head north, while another -- the largest one -- drifts towards the south, several blocks of ice in hand...

Lorath springs into form..launching four magic missiles. He overestimates himself somewhat, as all four missles only damage -- and enrage -- the giant fighting Olaf. Two giants in Lorath's immediate vicinity -- including the largest and most horrifically scarified blackguard -- turn their attention to . The spellsword's horned devil forms do little to intimidate the bloodthirsty frost giants.

Hollis calls forth the power of the Old Gods in bringing down a great pillar of flame upon two giants in the distance. Great clouds of steam fill that portion of the cavern, obscuring all vision. Heavy sloshing can be heard from the clouds -- the giants are slipping all over the place, and some may be in pools of water.

Hollis and Vorsyin can continue to fire spells into the fog, but visibility in their location is becoming increasingly obscured. They may better serve the party in a location from which they can see..

An initiative and some good rolls would certainly change the tide of battle here...

DECLARE ACTIONS!!!

MAP:
Glacial Rift (11).jpg
Glacial Rift (11).jpg (448.69 KiB) Viewed 732 times
Red lines show dead giants (and locations of their bodies). Giants in steam clouds are shown in their last known locations. Red circle shows the flame strike.
HP:
Arqos: 40/91
Gaerys: 44/69
Rommel: 3/58!!!!
Olaf: 21/75!
Flambeau: 75 / 75
Marcus: 48/48
Lorath 43/43
Hollis: 52 /52
Vorsyin 52 / 52

GreyWolfVT

#148 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Rommel drinks half his potion of Extra-healing. Then after a long pause he downs the entire thing. Potion of Extra-Healing [3d8 +3] = 14+3 = 17
The paladin still feeling the pain of this battle is not sure what to do, stand and fight or fight in a retreat to a better position.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#149 Post by Zhym »

"I have this one. Go!" Gaerys calls to Arqos and Marcus. "Take a more defensible position! I'll catch up with you."

He strikes twice at the remaining giant on this side.

Giantbane (THAC0 12) (vs. true giant): [1d20+3] = 17+3 = 20 Dmg: [1d12x2] = 9x2 = 18+12
Giantbane (THAC0 12) (vs. true giant): [1d20+3] = 8+3 = 11 Dmg: [1d12x2] = 6x2 = 12+12

54 damage. I hope that's enough to kill the giant.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#150 Post by OGRE MAGE »

GreyWolfVT wrote:Rommel drinks half his potion of Extra-healing. Then after a long pause he downs the entire thing. Potion of Extra-Healing [3d8 +3] = 14+3 = 17
The paladin still feeling the pain of this battle is not sure what to do, stand and fight or fight in a retreat to a better position.
I could have Flam cast a CCW so you can still attack if you want to save that potion. Unless it's too late for that?

GreyWolfVT

#151 Post by GreyWolfVT »

OGRE MAGE wrote:
GreyWolfVT wrote:Rommel drinks half his potion of Extra-healing. Then after a long pause he downs the entire thing. Potion of Extra-Healing [3d8 +3] = 14+3 = 17
I could have Flam cast a CCW so you can still attack if you want to save that potion. Unless it's too late for that?
I'm fine with either all depends on what Magnus allows.

Olaf attacks the next closest Giant with skullsplitter. you rolling for this magnus or d you need to tell me the macros for it?
Thaco 10
Olaf Skullsplitter [1d20 +4] = 16+4 = 20 to hit [1d12 +8] = 12+8 = 20 s/m dmg [3d6 +8] = 9+8 = 17 lrg dmg
Last edited by GreyWolfVT on Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

saalaria
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#152 Post by saalaria »

"Come Vorsyin I think its time to leave - unless you have something else up your sleeve?"

Hollis watches through the steam for an approaching enemy but starts to back up unless Vorsyin does not move.

Magnus
Ranger
Ranger

#153 Post by Magnus »

GreyWolfVT wrote:
OGRE MAGE wrote:
I'm fine with either all depends on what Magnus allows.

Olaf attacks the next closest Giant with skullsplitter. you rolling for this magnus or d you need to tell me the macros for it?
Please roll em from now on and check his sheet. Can you pls post the THAC0 in your post?

Magnus
Ranger
Ranger

#154 Post by Magnus »

PS you can save the potion and attack

GreyWolfVT

#155 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Rommel is persuaded to not drink the healing potion. He strikes at the same giant as Olaf.
Thaco 14?
Flaming Claymore +3[1d20 +6] = 8+6 = 14 to hit [2d4 +6] = 3+6 = 9 s/m dmg [2d8 +6] = 9+6 = 15 lrg dmg

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#156 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Flambeau steps forth and touches the black knight on the shoulder and chants briefly to R'hllor.

May the flames of R'hllor warm and heal your wounds nonbeliever.

CCW [3d8+3] = 18+3 = 21

Cwreando
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#157 Post by Cwreando »

That was not Loraths intended location. He attempted to fly over the FG's by Olaf and land between Olaf and The other group As a humming bird I thought I could get by them invisibly fairly easily. It was in my actions.
Trist Flameheart Multi-Class in progress Gray Elf Fighter/Mage 3/3 - Grey Wolf's Mystara Adventures (Ad&d 2e) Active
Durgo Brigthboon Fighter Human Level 3 - Spearment's Barromaze

Computer +1
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#158 Post by Computer +1 »

Vorsyin agrees with Hollis's assessment. He too begins to back up but he is ready to cast in an instant if need be.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#159 Post by Zhym »

Arqos steps forward into the crook in the wall, which should shield him from any rocks thrown from behind, while staying within 10 feet of Gaerys and Marcus.

If a new enemy presents itself (e.g., one of the blackguards moving to the north, though Arqos can't see them yet), he will bring the wrath of R'hllor upon the servants of dark and cold. If no enemy enters the northern fray this round, Arqos, realizing how crucial Gaerys's blade is in this battle, lays hands on the ranger to heal some of his wounds.

Rolls, if needed:
Sunfire vs. evil (THAC0 12): [1d20+4] = 16+4 = 20 Dmg [1d8+4] = 5+4 = 9 (S/M) [1d12+4] = 6+4 = 10 (L)
Sunfire vs. evil (THAC0 12): [1d20+4] = 10+4 = 14 Dmg [1d8+4] = 6+4 = 10 (S/M) [1d12+4] = 12+4 = 16 (L)

I'm hoping the conditional move is okay.

Magnus
Ranger
Ranger

#160 Post by Magnus »

Cwreando wrote:That was not Loraths intended location. He attempted to fly over the FG's by Olaf and land between Olaf and The other group As a humming bird I thought I could get by them invisibly fairly easily. It was in my actions.
I can change your position no problem, but it might be better in the future to describe your location more precisely, (e.g., I land 2 squares NW of Rommel).

Return to “Against the Giants (OSRIC)”