Character Creation Thread

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

Character Creation Thread

#1 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Post questions, comments, and concerns on char gen here please.

I'm thinking about having everyone start out at 130,000 XP's and rolling up whatever they want. You will need to let me know what you decide for Class in a PM before you get started so we don't end up with 6 Rangers or something like that. I will be pretty flexible letting you play what you want but not at the expense of having a doomed party. (someone has to be the Cleric!) :lol:

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

Re: Character Creation Thread

#2 Post by OGRE MAGE »

You can use the 4d6, drop the lowest, and arrange in any order, method for attributes. Feel free to re-roll if you get a set that you deem unplayable. I would rather have above average characters that you enjoy playing than to have one or two who are completely inept. Please don't roll 300 times until you get 4-18's either. Min-maxing will be highly frowned upon.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#3 Post by OGRE MAGE »

I'm cool with some of the stuff out of the UA, but not all of it so, if you like something out of UA, run it by me and we'll discuss it. Otherwise, we will be going pretty much by the 1E books for rules. NO EVIL CHARACTERS PLEASE! Sorry, you have to be the heroes in this one. :) If you have an idea about a certain combination that bends the rules a bit, send me a PM. As I said, I will try to be as flexible as possible.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#4 Post by OGRE MAGE »

As this will be a one shot adventure, I will not require any of you to come up with a lengthy background for your character. If you want to jot down a few things like where you're each from and how you were all eventually brought together, that's really about all I would need. Feel free to make up any names that you like for your home towns or cities. I don't require anything fancy, so if backgrounds aren't really your thing, don't sweat it. Just give me something generic and I will try to tie it all together.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#5 Post by OGRE MAGE »

As far as die rolls go, you will make all of your own characters rolls and link them to your posts. DMs rolls will not be posted. The storyline will reflect what happens from "behind the screen" so I don't like spending a bunch of extra time organizing and posting all the rolls. In fact, when I'm at home, sometimes I get crazy and actually roll real dice. It's hard to link those rolls. :)

What else am I forgetting?
Any questions?

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#6 Post by OGRE MAGE »

At 130,000 XPs, some classes will be close to leveling up. Therefore I will keep track of, and reward XPs up untill that point. When it appears that no more characters will be able to level up before the end of the adventure, I will stop,tracking the experience points.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#7 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Anybody want some magic items?

I thought it would be fun to let you each pick 5 magic items of your choice. (Within Reason of course) You can pick ANY items. You don't have to take magical weapons or armor, but if you do, I will allow a total of +5 for your main weapon and your armor. (i.e. +3 axe with +2 chainmail)

I will then allow you each to pick ONE more BONUS magic item that is Mountain or Cold Climate related. (we will be high up in the mountains or flying for most of the adventure so choose wisely)

That makes a total of 6 magic items of your choice that each character is allowed.

Run your lists by me on here and I will let you know if what you selected is acceptable. That way others can see what you picked as well and we won't have any unnecessary redundancies.

Most of you will be around or at 8th level so you should have found yourselves some decent stuff throughout your careers so far. PLEASE don't overdue it though.
Last edited by OGRE MAGE on Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#8 Post by OGRE MAGE »

I will say that the party will need plenty of muscle in this adventure, but don't let that deter anyone from rolling up what you want.

I've never DM'd a TPK before. :lol:

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#9 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Hit points:

You can take max hit points for 1st level and roll a hit die for each level after that.

OR......you can take one number above half your hit die and use that for EVERY level.

MonkeyWrench
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by MonkeyWrench »

OGRE MAGE wrote:Anybody want some magic items?

I thought it would be fun to let you each pick 5 magic items of your choice. (Within Reason of course) I will allow a total of +5 for your main weapon and your armor. (i.e. +3 axe with +2 chainmail)

I will then allow you each to pick ONE more BONUS magic item that is Mountain or Cold Climate related. (we will be high up in the mountains or flying for most of the adventure so choose wisely)

Run your lists by me on here and I will let you know if what you selected is acceptable. That way others can see what you picked as well and we won't have any unnecessary redundancies.

Most of you will be around or at 8th level so you should have found yourselves some decent stuff throughout your careers so far. PLEASE don't overdue it though.
So I was thinking simply of making my +5 be a +2 magic heavy mace and +3 Chainmail.

As for the bonus magic item, you want me to just make one up and run it past you? Like a ring that is +2 to cold element saving throws or something?
Life is a roller coaster, if you don't stop to enjoy it then you may as well not even ride.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#11 Post by OGRE MAGE »

MonkeyWrench wrote:
OGRE MAGE wrote:Anybody want some magic items?

I thought it would be fun to let you each pick 5 magic items of your choice. (Within Reason of course) I will allow a total of +5 for your main weapon and your armor. (i.e. +3 axe with +2 chainmail)

So I was thinking simply of making my +5 be a +2 magic heavy mace and +3 Chainmail.

As for the bonus magic item, you want me to just make one up and run it past you? Like a ring that is +2 to cold element saving throws or something?

Looks good! Now pick 3 more of anything you want plus your bonus and, yes, you can make them up or go with something from the books. Don't be afraid I will say no, pick something awesome and run it by me. I'm pretty easy. :P

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#12 Post by GreyWolfVT »

ok so let me get my self righted on this we get the total of +5 on magical items plus 2 "other" magical items not to add to the + items? I was really going to just make my Short Sword +2 and flaming or frostbane.... so hows that play out?
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

GreyWolfVT

#13 Post by GreyWolfVT »

actually if you look over my items i put descriptions in the notes tab let me know if anything is unacceptable Ogre Mage.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#14 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Seems fine to me. I might have selected one less magic weapon and added something totally awesome and helpful.........but that's just me I guess. :)

GreyWolfVT

#15 Post by GreyWolfVT »

well I am thinking of dropping the +1 on my sword. Scratch that I did drop the + on my short sword. Put a set of leather gauntlets of dexterity on there and made the studded +2 for my total of +5.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#16 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Rodger that.

greyarea
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#17 Post by greyarea »

My character is coming along. Should be ready tomorrow.

Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by Dram »

Does that apply to me for the magic items.
Current Characters/Games
Grakluse Longleaf-A Candle in the Darkness
Jacxor Ironforge-Dungeon of the Mad Mage (5e)
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls
Xlore Strongoak-B11 King's Festival & B12 Queen's Harvest - AD&D 2e

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#19 Post by OGRE MAGE »

greyarea wrote:My character is coming along. Should be ready tomorrow.
Sweet! No rush though.

Hotgoblin informed me that hers won't be ready till after this weekend.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#20 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Dram wrote:Does that apply to me for the magic items.
I thought we had your magic items sorted out already but, if you want to dump all of your items and pick like the other players, that's fine with me.

I need to approve them first of course.

Return to “Dark Clouds Gather AD&D 1E”