Pre-Game Discussion. Laying the Foundations.

Q.Q Elf
Ranger
Ranger

Re: Pre-Game Discussion. Laying the Foundations.

#41 Post by Q.Q Elf »

Rukellian wrote: Clarence Dufonte (the now-named-ghost) may have seen through Summer's lies, but I am building him up to be the good guy kind of archetype, but was a wall flower all of his highschool life up until his death. So though he may know someone's secret, he won't use it as blackmail or leverage, or at least doesn't think of such things. He's got his own problems right now... ;)
Never say never! :lol:

You're roleplaying teenagers. You're supposed to have some element of being fickle because you don't know yourselves, you don't know how to live in an adult's skin, and you f*ck things up all the time because you're all elbows & thumbs.
Rukellian wrote:The ghost skin said that I have a string on someone and someone has a string on me, does it have to be a PC? I originally had an NPC have a string on me, for she knew that I was actually dead and how I died. I planned on her being a witch named Vanessa Lokhart that generally hated and was disgusted by everyone around her, except Clarence. Clarence was the only one who she could hang out with and not feel uncomfortable. Though it was never intimate, I'd like to think that they were very good friends, perhaps on the verge of taking it to the next level? I may be thinking a bit too far ahead here or demanding too much of what I'm allowed, but hey, I'm open to changing my character sheet. :)
Yeah, the Ghost skin says you've been in someone's bedroom to watch them sleep. That's damn creepy. Who fascinates you?

If you don't feel comfortable pushing that on a player's character, yeah, we can go with an NPC. And the NPCs can have strings on you too.

During the Seating Chart exercise, you can define NPCs. I'll ask leading, provocative questions about your NPC... but it doesn't mean your answer can't rope in what you're thinking about a story that you'd like to run down later. If you have ideas about your NPC, hold onto them... but once the NPC gets in play, get that string in play because it's an NPC.

NPCs exist to make you better. They're YOUR supporting actors. They need to push your art, to make you run harder, and make you run like the roleplaying machine that you can be.

(The book says I am to treat NPCs like I would drive a stolen car. Have fun, step on the gas, and go all out because it isn't meant to last. It's a brilliant analogy.)

Last note... if you want to swap Backstory strings around during the Seating Chart phase, I'm cool with that. Someone else might come up with a freaky awesome idea that you'd like to STEAL for your own character's story. Hell, two of you might come up with the same love interest or something. THAT'S AWESOME!

Once we start the game itself, then the sheets get locked down... but I don't consider the Seating Chart to be the game. We're just talking prep work with the Seating Chart.

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#42 Post by Rukellian »

You're roleplaying teenagers. You're supposed to have some element of being fickle because you don't know yourselves, you don't know how to live in an adult's skin, and you f*ck things up all the time because you're all elbows & thumbs.
I am basing my character off of what my teenage years were like. I matured pretty quickly but was still very naive about a lot of things. I apologize if he is coming off as being too polite or nice. If after reading his character sheet, you think that it is too 'clean' do give me some suggestions as to how it should really look. Everything that this campaign stands for is a whole new experience for me and is very different from what I am used to (the subject material that is).

By the way, when is this provocative questioning process taking place? Did I miss it while at work :lol: ? And who will it be for, my pc, the npc I made, both?
Even a child that receives one bit of praise has the ability to excel in a single talent, and those who receive regular encouragement can feel confidence, achieve success, and become leading members of society. Because they don’t believe they are worthless, they don’t need to raise a fist and have vengeance against fate or the world at large… ~Inspector Lunge

Q.Q Elf
Ranger
Ranger

#43 Post by Q.Q Elf »

Well, for myself, I know I rewrite the story of my glorious teen years, but living it was different & I can say that now.

I know I felt like I knew everything, and did the right things, but I also know (looking back) that I got into a lot of stupid situations and bullshit because I did lash out stupidly. I had the benefit of people who also called me out on my shit, which helped, but I did f&ck things up a lot more than I would have admitted at the time.

Anyway, some security in okay for your character... but don't get comfortable with it. I know some kids are solid & the ones the others look to when shit goes down, but the game is about the drama. :lol:

And Clarence is the Ghost! You've got that deep trauma that destroyed you & turned you into a Ghost. That should be one of the fracture points that make you lose your shit... the bitter memory of losing a happy life.

Maybe the living Clarence was all cool... but now Clarence has crossed over to Undeath. Now he's f*cked in a way that his living life couldn't imagine, and he's in an Afterlife of pain because of that one time.

As for the Seating Chart... I didn't kick it off yet. I wanted characters to be locked down a bit more... but I think we're getting to that point. Let me come up with a good question about your NPC, and I'll throw it in the Seating Chart thread.

Q.Q Elf
Ranger
Ranger

#44 Post by Q.Q Elf »

The other thing is this...

With this kind of game, I don't get to railroad you. That's wrong if I try to do it.

What I need, though, is the ability to knock you on your ass. I need levers on your character so that I can flip your shit on its head.

If you write your character too hard into a corner, then your play will suffer.

It's easier for me, as MC, if you give me examples of how your character is off-balance. Yes, the house of cards might be pretty, but what I want is to know the one part that will make it crash and burn. How do I set your dumpster on fire & burn up all your shit?

While that could be a character secret (and probably should be), getting those handles out in front & NOT making it a player/table secret will probably make for better play!

I can't put your shit in play if I don't know how to play it.

Sorry for language... coffee hasn't set in yet.

MonkeyWrench
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#45 Post by MonkeyWrench »

Keehnelf wrote:Gotcha, thanks.

It seems like overkill and double-stacking to get Summer's fancy, so I think I'll say that I've captured the werewolf's fancy (if that's ok with MW) and make things dangerous.
You can certainly try to take his fancy. Dog boy is hetero and not too keen on the whole "loving" aspect in relationships until he gets more feral, then its mostly physical.
Life is a roller coaster, if you don't stop to enjoy it then you may as well not even ride.

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#46 Post by Rukellian »

Q.Q Elf wrote:The other thing is this...

With this kind of game, I don't get to railroad you. That's wrong if I try to do it.

What I need, though, is the ability to knock you on your ass. I need levers on your character so that I can flip your shit on its head.

If you write your character too hard into a corner, then your play will suffer.

It's easier for me, as MC, if you give me examples of how your character is off-balance. Yes, the house of cards might be pretty, but what I want is to know the one part that will make it crash and burn. How do I set your dumpster on fire & burn up all your shit?

While that could be a character secret (and probably should be), getting those handles out in front & NOT making it a player/table secret will probably make for better play!

I can't put your shit in play if I don't know how to play it.

Sorry for language... coffee hasn't set in yet.
I think I get where your coming from now, what I need to do... let me go back and rewrite certain bits of my character sheet, make my character more vulnerable and perhaps twistable in his now ghostly state. In regard to the seating arrangement, I may have jumped the gun on that one. Feel free to edit or flat out delete my two character placements until we are all ready to go on that.
Even a child that receives one bit of praise has the ability to excel in a single talent, and those who receive regular encouragement can feel confidence, achieve success, and become leading members of society. Because they don’t believe they are worthless, they don’t need to raise a fist and have vengeance against fate or the world at large… ~Inspector Lunge

MonkeyWrench
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#47 Post by MonkeyWrench »

Alright, sorry everyone if I seem kind of out of the loop and conversations, Kind of making stuff as I go along in work and life :?

So I guess now I will explain my character a bit here? Without giving too much info since that should all be thrown into the character sheet. As well as bring out the NPC I thought of making, which I think will be a good tool for Q.Q Elf to use for everyone, not just me.

Seth Varron has not lived in the small town for long, him and his family (father, mother, two older sisters) moving in only a year ago, they keep to themselves mostly and live in a house on the edge of town, leading off into a large patch of woods. During the day he will seem pretty cold and stand-offish, mostly keeping to himself unless someone tries to get his attention. As the day winds down and night begins to surface he will visibly get more animate, more rebellious. At night he can sometimes be seen roaming the town/city getting into fights as he visits the... "darker" parts of the town (not sure how big or expansive the place is, gangs and prostitution rampant? or non-existent?) As far as he and his family know no one knows their secret (unless someone calls them out of course).

Thats all I'll put for now, the guy was not bitten but born a werewolf, his family a standard werewolf pack... or are they standard? They may be a pretty famous pack that gets into a lot of shit because of their name... Dunno, just some fun thoughts for the GM here ;)

As for my NPC I thought it would be cool to have someone everyone can either try to get with or kill... a Chosen!

Victoria Johnson was raised in a family of hunters, she is actually the 4 generation hunter in her family. While her family (father, mother, and older brother) are strong monster hunters and haters she has conflicted thoughts about some of the monsters that she knows of, she keeps these thoughts a secret from her family of course. During the day she attends school to keep up her family secret and during the night she will sometimes try to track down and hunt monsters. She and her family have been tracking the new family in town, the Varrons, under suspicion that they may be werewolves but have not acted yet. This makes school quite awkward for her since the youngest son of the family she is inspecting is in the same class as her.

Thats kinda all I got for right now, not sure what else to really go with since she is an NPC. I personally want her to have a personality all her own, because NPC's are characters too. I dont see them any differently then my own character, when they aren't around they don't just disappear and not exist for a bit, they are off doing their own things.

Q.Q Elf if you want to remove anything or add/modify it in any way that's perfectly fine, just let me know.
Life is a roller coaster, if you don't stop to enjoy it then you may as well not even ride.

MonkeyWrench
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#48 Post by MonkeyWrench »

As for the strings I will be taking two on my own created NPC, its very likely that since she is investigating him he would be watching her. Wolves don't like being hunted after all...

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#49 Post by Keehnelf »

The thing about the background strings is that they're a done deal, it seems to me: an initial condition of play. So if you think it's completely beyond the bounds of character then it won't work since it'll need your buy-in.

On the other hand, the idea that your guy caught a whiff of James while he was in a feral state and got hooked on his faery smell is interesting if the allure stays with him and is troubling/confusing, and also more dangerous for James if the fancy is rooted in your animal nature.

If that doesn't work for you, I'll go elsewhere with it.

P.s. From my reading of the material so far, the designers seem to STRONGLY encourage starting strings to be focused on other PCs as much as possible to focus the game on us and keep it from being just an overlapping constellation of individual stories.

MonkeyWrench
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#50 Post by MonkeyWrench »

I can see where you're going with it and honestly I'm comfortable enough without my own self enough to do it. I just want to stay within my own created characters guidelines. He is feral but hetero.

However, I can see it being something to do with a Fae's own natural allure, they are creatures that's whole power comes from binding contracts and making others want them. It isn't so much you that is causing the allure but your blood-born powers.

While during the day or when he is in control of himself the most you'll maybe get from him is a shut down, unless you roll something crazy I guess. But at night? when his borders are more down and he is more the feral beast? Who's to say...

Just want to let everyone know, personally I agree with Keehnelf, I have no lines. I can roll with anything and everything that you can throw my way, I won't be offended by any of it. Any action of any kind from me will be strictly through how I view my character and what they would do.

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#51 Post by Keehnelf »

That makes sense to me-my character also identifies as hetero- but it wold be an interesting situation for him to be confronted with an opportunity to pursue his agenda for its own sake but that probably out of that context would make him feel weird.

I imagine he'll be doing a lot of borderline non-physical stuff in order to manipulate people using his natural abilities (or unnatural ones, rather), and a question for me is how far he'll go and under what circumstances, and with what incentive. Wolf-boy's fancy provides an intriguing hook in that area.

Metal Fatigue
Guide
Guide

#52 Post by Metal Fatigue »

Keehnelf wrote:I imagine he'll be doing a lot of borderline non-physical stuff in order to manipulate people using his natural abilities (or unnatural ones, rather), and a question for me is how far he'll go and under what circumstances, and with what incentive. Wolf-boy's fancy provides an intriguing hook in that area.
I will be interested to see whether the two of you can keep it to a bromance or whether it gets physical. :D

Q.Q Elf
Ranger
Ranger

#53 Post by Q.Q Elf »

MonkeyWrench, I like the concept of a pack. Your character can't make it do things yet, but it can be an undertone. I caution about being the new kid. If you flip on the outsider tags like "new kid", then I will push a certain way. I'm not saying it's bad, but I want to put that out there now.

I think we can do a monster hunter NPC, but let's wait to see how the classroom stacks up. Metal Fatigue's NPC is the old family, or at least the one that's in control. So there is a linkage.

Your hunter NPC concept fits the "high school bully" idea real well, though. And a Werewolf going on a rampage, with the awful school massacres in the news, is solid stuff.

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#54 Post by Keehnelf »

Metal Fatigue wrote:
Keehnelf wrote:I imagine he'll be doing a lot of borderline non-physical stuff in order to manipulate people using his natural abilities (or unnatural ones, rather), and a question for me is how far he'll go and under what circumstances, and with what incentive. Wolf-boy's fancy provides an intriguing hook in that area.
I will be interested to see whether the two of you can keep it to a bromance or whether it gets physical. :D
Me too :)

On the less light side, I've updated my character sheet and am ready to participate in seating chart (I think). Everyone else gets a string on me because I'm so out of control of myself, no matter what I may think about the situation, that I compromise myself regularly.

MonkeyWrench
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#55 Post by MonkeyWrench »

Q.Q Elf wrote:MonkeyWrench, I like the concept of a pack. Your character can't make it do things yet, but it can be an undertone. I caution about being the new kid. If you flip on the outsider tags like "new kid", then I will push a certain way. I'm not saying it's bad, but I want to put that out there now.

I think we can do a monster hunter NPC, but let's wait to see how the classroom stacks up. Metal Fatigue's NPC is the old family, or at least the one that's in control. So there is a linkage.

Your hunter NPC concept fits the "high school bully" idea real well, though. And a Werewolf going on a rampage, with the awful school massacres in the news, is solid stuff.
I put myself as the new family in town for exactly that reason. The guy is a loner during the day, needs something to throw at him.

I wanted to have someone that can be both a forbidden relationship or a hated enemy for myself and the other players which works perfectly for confused hunter and monster but no one made a chosen so I figured I'd make one myself.

Like I said, I can roll with whatever you dish out.

Q.Q Elf
Ranger
Ranger

#56 Post by Q.Q Elf »

Keehnelf wrote: Me too :)

On the less light side, I've updated my character sheet and am ready to participate in seating chart (I think). Everyone else gets a string on me because I'm so out of control of myself, no matter what I may think about the situation, that I compromise myself regularly.
Go ahead with the Seating Chart if you haven't.

(I'm on my phone, which isn't hooked to those Google docs, and I don't see what's going on there during the day. Maybe when I get a new work phone...)

Q.Q Elf
Ranger
Ranger

#57 Post by Q.Q Elf »

Okay... are we getting too detailed with the questions about everyone in the class?

Maybe we should start tapering off... I don't want to get to a point of oversaturation.
There is only one real path: the river of fire. Everything else is an illusion. Trevor Faith, in Christopher Moeller's Faith Conquers

Metal Fatigue
Guide
Guide

#58 Post by Metal Fatigue »

We have six unfilled spots in the seating diagram. Just pick names for them and assign them awfulness later?

Q.Q Elf
Ranger
Ranger

#59 Post by Q.Q Elf »

Deleted.

I'll say it in the other thread.

Q.Q Elf
Ranger
Ranger

#60 Post by Q.Q Elf »

Uniforms!

We all like school uniforms, right?

Green/white/grey tartan skirt or navy capris for the girls.
Navy pleated shorts or slacks for the boys.

On top...
White, kelly green, or hunter green polo shirt. Eye of Horus embroidered on the left chest in sky blue.
-OR-
White turtleneck with Eye of Horus in yellow.

Allowed outerwear:
hunter green cardigan, also with the Eye of Horus (in yellow).
Water-resistant, fleece-lined nylon shell (navy) with the letters ACP embroidered on the left chest.

Shoes...
Dressy shoes. No casual shoes permitted except during Phys Ed.

Phys Ed uniforms.

Navy short shorts for all. None of this few fangled baggy shit!
White T-shirts with Eye of Horus in Sky Blue on the upper left chest.
Casual shoes permitted.

Return to “Monsterhearts: Against my better judgment”