IC XV

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: IC XV

#421 Post by thirdkingdom »

Round Five

Severi and Quint both cast their spells of sorcerous somnolence; to their collective dismay none of the large, exceedingly angry charging ur-orcs are affected by the magics. Semele looks nervous but ays her hands on Rhys' injury and calls upon her patron to grant her healing magic.

The ur-orcs are now a mere thirty feet away; the ground is shaking from the pounding of their massive feet and more debris begins to shake itself loose from the ceiling.

phil285
Tracker
Tracker

#422 Post by phil285 »

Can we estimate how many ur-orcs are coming our way, and given their speed, can we get the whole party away to the south before they close on us?

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#423 Post by Alethan »

Rhys the Traveler

Rhys calls out,"Quick, adjust our formation!"
Thurgan and Severi in front, with Tev behind Thurgan and Rhys behind Severi, ready to take his place, should he fall back?
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

Wyzard
Ranger
Ranger

#424 Post by Wyzard »

Put Severi in the second rank, so he can cast Mirror Image on himself before he has to take over the front rank, maybe?

Atlictoatl
Ranger
Ranger

#425 Post by Atlictoatl »

Tev Meren, Fighter

Tev scoops up his dropped halberd and gets into formation.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#426 Post by Alethan »

Wyzard wrote:
Put Severi in the second rank, so he can cast Mirror Image on himself before he has to take over the front rank, maybe?
Rhys steps up and takes one of the front rank positions, then.
Are we still in an area that holds the ur-orcs to two at a time?

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#427 Post by thirdkingdom »

Rounds Six through Eight

The adventurers quickly assume their formation in the hallway and face the oncoming onslaught of charging ur-orcs. Because of their position, only two of the ogre-sized monsters are able to assault the front line with any chance of success; the two creatures crash into the formation with devastating effect, dealing mighty blows to both Rhys and Thurgan. Rhys lands an equally damaging attack to the ur-orc facing him, and Thurgan is able to distract his opponent and allow Tev to nearly disembowel it with a wicked slash from his halberd.

Combat soon assumes a regularity of strike and counterstrike. Rhys manages to deliver a killing strike soon afterwards, and the fallen ur-orc's corpse is dragged bodily to the side by another monster, who takes the now opened place in the line. Thurgan manages a weak hit against the one facing him, but on the whole the battle assumes a regularity of parry and attack, parry and attack. The ur-orcs are both strong and skilled enough to deflect all but the most precise blows, and the adventurers are grim and determined in their attacks, aided by blades of puissant enchantments.

Round Eight

Semele announces to those around her that she hears something, akin to the scuttling of many insectile feet, approaching at great speed from the direction of the guardroom.
Rhys takes 10 hp damage first round, Thurgan 8. Given the number of deflect attempts, I wanted to be able to roll out multiple rounds. Folks in the back ranks, let me know if you want to take actions. Given the close quarters, it would be possible to cast spells on the ur-orcs, assuming you were either Severi or could switch positions with the elf.

Wyzard
Ranger
Ranger

#428 Post by Wyzard »

Hey, I don't like to try and backdate stuff, but Severi was going to cast mirror image on himself. Could he have accomplished that while he was stuck in the back rank with nothing else to do? For reference, he gets 1d4 images.

phil285
Tracker
Tracker

#429 Post by phil285 »

Vanco Basou, cleric
In an attempt to block the corridor ur-orcs from continuing to attack down the hallway, Vanco tries to position himself to cast hold person.
No idea if this'll work. More in OOC in a moment.

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#430 Post by thirdkingdom »

Wyzard wrote:
Hey, I don't like to try and backdate stuff, but Severi was going to cast mirror image on himself. Could he have accomplished that while he was stuck in the back rank with nothing else to do? For reference, he gets 1d4 images.
No problem. I kind of figured there'd be some jockeying around. I'm learning that, especially with the ability to deflect on both sides, going one round at a time in situations like this is pretty slow.

Koren n'Rhys
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#431 Post by Koren n'Rhys »

Quint Kacie
Upon hearing the scuttling noises coming from the opposite direction, Quint prepares to cast his remaining sleep spell, hoping that it will prove more effective against these new foes than it did on the more massive ur-orcs.
With that, I'm off for a couple of days with family. Won't be online until Monday morning, I expect. Hope you all had a good Christmas and enjoy the weekend!

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#432 Post by Alethan »

Rhys does a fighting retreat. When he has a chance to catch his breath, he drinks his potion of healing.

Atlictoatl
Ranger
Ranger

#433 Post by Atlictoatl »

Tev Meren, Fighter

As soon as Rhys pulls back, Tev drops his halberd and steps into Rhy's old position, drawing his sword and attacking the ur-orc in front of Thurgan.

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#434 Post by thirdkingdom »

Note that Severi was able to cast Mirror Image the previous round.
Round Nine

A deadly and desperate ballet ensues. Rhys withdraws and quaffs a potion of healing whilst Tev drops his halberd, draws his blade and leaps forward into the mystic's position. Vanco is able to step forward into Tev's old position can implores upon his Immortal patrons to freeze his enemies where they stand; only one is affected, the one facing Thurgan. While not the best result, it gives the injured dwarf time to withdraw to the middle ranks. As Severi advances multiple images of the elf unfold from within him, dancing about the ur-orcs in a deadly dance of steel. Tev deals the ur-orc facing him a minor blow whilst managing to just dodge his enemy's stroke.

Behind the party, a half-dozen of the phlegmatic beetles scuttle from out of the guardroom; Quint's reflexes are fast, though, and he is able to send all of the beetles to sleep.
Rhys regains 7 hp from his potion of healing.

Atlictoatl
Ranger
Ranger

#435 Post by Atlictoatl »

Tev Meren, Fighter

As he fights on, Tev searches beyond the foe he fights for some sense of the number of attackers they face.
I see in the Rolls section that there are 5 ur-orcs. Can Tev also notice that?

Tywyllwch, +1 sword vs unarmed +7 to hit (+3 BAB +2 STR +1 Skilled, +1 magic), 1d12+3/1d12+3 damage, Deflect 1, +0 disarm
Tywyllwch, +1 sword vs armed +8 to hit (+3 BAB +2 STR +2 Skilled, +1 magic), 1d12+3/1d12+3 damage, -2 AC vs 1, Deflect 1, +0 disarm

halberd, +5 to hit (+3 BAB +2 STR), 1d10+2/1d10+2 damage, +0 Hook, +0 Disarm
light crossbow, masterwork, +5 to hit (+3 BAB, +1 DEX, +1 mwk), 1d6/1d6, 60/120/180 range
net, masterwork, +5 to hit (+3 BAB, +1 DEX, +1 mwk), +0 Entangle, 10/20/30 range

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#436 Post by thirdkingdom »

Atlictoatl wrote:Tev Meren, Fighter

As he fights on, Tev searches beyond the foe he fights for some sense of the number of attackers they face.
I see in the Rolls section that there are 5 ur-orcs. Can Tev also notice that?

Tywyllwch, +1 sword vs unarmed +7 to hit (+3 BAB +2 STR +1 Skilled, +1 magic), 1d12+3/1d12+3 damage, Deflect 1, +0 disarm
Tywyllwch, +1 sword vs armed +8 to hit (+3 BAB +2 STR +2 Skilled, +1 magic), 1d12+3/1d12+3 damage, -2 AC vs 1, Deflect 1, +0 disarm

halberd, +5 to hit (+3 BAB +2 STR), 1d10+2/1d10+2 damage, +0 Hook, +0 Disarm
light crossbow, masterwork, +5 to hit (+3 BAB, +1 DEX, +1 mwk), 1d6/1d6, 60/120/180 range
net, masterwork, +5 to hit (+3 BAB, +1 DEX, +1 mwk), +0 Entangle, 10/20/30 range

Tev note that there are indeed five of the monstrous humanoids facing them. One of them, the one directly in front of Severi, is held in the thrall of Vanco's spell, and is currently acting as an effective barricade between the party and the three ur-orcs in the back ranks, who are currently roaring, hooting and beating their chests in frustration at their inability to act.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#437 Post by Alethan »

Before they can awaken, Rhys swiftly moves through the ranks of beetles, killing them mercilessly.

phil285
Tracker
Tracker

#438 Post by phil285 »

Vanco Basou, cleric
Vanco appeals once more to his god, and uses his second and final hold person on the remaining ur-orcs.

Wyzard
Ranger
Ranger

#439 Post by Wyzard »

Severi prefers to attack ur-orcs that are not already rendered helpless by Hold spells, if it's reasonably possible to do so.
I don't know if I can attack on the diagonal and get the one in front of Tev, but if so that's what I'm going to do.
Last edited by Wyzard on Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#440 Post by thirdkingdom »

Wyzard wrote:Severi prefers to attack ur-orcs that are not already rendered helpless by Hold spells, if it's reasonably possible to do so.
I don't know if I can attack on the diagonal and get the one in front of Tev, but if so that's what I'm going to do.
Yeah, these bastards are pretty darn big. The only way they've got two facing you guys at a time is that each is partially "out of the corridor". In other words, the corridor is ten feet wide and you guys are at the very end of it. The ur-orcs are in the Hall of Columns, and each takes up *more* than half the corridor width.

Return to “In Search of Adventure”