Magnus
Ranger
Ranger

Words from the War (G2 Prologue)

#1 Post by Magnus »

Date: Autumn, 432 ca., Campaign Day 12
Time: 8:15
Weather: 45 degrees, Cloudy

The party, equipped and ready, strolled into the greyclothed tent of Lord Stark. The tent, something of a mobile command post for Lord Stark, was well-appointed but spartan. The heroes were the first in the room - the Lord Commander and Lord Stark himself would undoubtedly soon arrive.

The map below was spread on the tent before them on a table, with colored markers denoting the locations of the now-destroyed Steading and, as the party could best surmise, the location denoted on their recovered map - likely their next target.

Map:
1000px-Beyond_the_Wall.png
1000px-Beyond_the_Wall.png (549.07 KiB) Viewed 1276 times
Orange = Steading
Blue = Likely location of Glacial Rift
River in the East = Antler River
River in the West = Milkwater River

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Thenns
Last edited by Magnus on Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

Magnus
Ranger
Ranger

Re: Taking the Fight to the Giants! (G2 Prologue)

#2 Post by Magnus »

Time: 8:16

Raven-sized scroll tubes were also arranged on the table, marked with the names of (groups of) party members.

Gaerys, Hollis, Vorsyin
The following message is scrolled with charcoal on a coarse cloth in the crude runes of the Old Tongue:

CLAN BEAR Of RIVER MILKWATER

Brothers and sisters of our Clan have returned to us from capture by the foul Hill Giants, they say by the hands of two Crows and a Priest of the Old Gods. They have told tales worthy of the darkest Winter.

These Free Folk will stand with the Crows and those through whom the blood of the First Men flow against the Giants and the cold darkness they bring.

Our three War Mammoths stand at the ready to serve at your aid. Return to us tidings of the War against Giants and let us stand at your side.

[Bear Paw Print]

Lorath
The scroll unrolls neatly, revealing the fine script of Valyeria. A gold ring with three pearls falls out of the case as well. Lorath is able to catch it before it hits the ground.

The scroll reads:

Brother Lorath,

We wish you the best in the service you have taken with the force battling the Giants. We enclose a ring, which may be of use to you in your travels.

Our doors remain open for your return.

In Solidarity,

Aerys Aeleyeron
Spellsword Guild of Valyeria

Lorath receives Ring of Spell Storing, with spells of Invisibility, Polymorph Self, and Charm Monster
Olaf
No Cheating! ;)
Arqos, Flambeau
Date: Autumn, 432 ca., Campaign Day 1

It has been approximately one week since the Lord of Light has taken you from leading our service in his glory to what is unquestionably a higher purpose in his name. I have seen in my fires that you have carried further with strength and valor, and that we will once again reunite and serve in the Higher Glory of our Lord. So I have sent this note to Hardhome and Eastwatch with the hopes that it will find you.

To tell of our mission, we have cast out the deep Shadow which had hung over this Village of "Tanaroa". Our vessel is now safely in harbor, and we now bring the Loving Light of R'hllor to this village. The folk have taken well to the Truth. We remain secure and well-fed for the time being and intend to bring Light to the villages that neighbor us in the days to come.

But we fear the Other holds the interior of this Island strongly in its grasp. This in mind, and what we have been told about the strange and horrible beasts that dwell within, we hesitate to strike out within in your absence.

We pray to the flames in the hope that we will hear from you again and of which our Lord has foretold. Tell us what you wish, tell us what we need to know.

The Night is dark and full of terrors.

Karigon, Humble Servant of R'hllor

The heroes have a few minutes to reflect, speak to each other, and contemplate this news in light of their future, both immediate and long-term.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Words from the War (G2 Prologue)

#3 Post by Zhym »

Gaerys reads his group's scroll. "We seem to have made some friends among the wildlings," he says. "Although I confess I'm not sure what we would do with war mammoths. Is this to be an infiltration, or a siege?"

Magnus
Ranger
Ranger

#4 Post by Magnus »

"An infiltration, then a siege would be fine. But an infiltration that makes a siege unnecessary would be better! the unmistakable voice of the Lord Commander billows forth. He was accompanied by the Maester and four Lieutenants.

"We've studied the map that you recovered, and realized that it lead to a Glacial Rift reported back by one of our long-range Ranger squads sent up into the Frostfangs. That squad sent several reports of Frost Giants and Ogres amassing along a key pass - and they had even spotted Jotunn! That squad went quiet, and never returned. But we know, thanks to them, this is both the position from which they control the Milkwater and bring forces from the Lands of Always Winter to fight for their cause.

We have all signs pointing to that Rift as both a massing point for our enemies and the most likely spot to learn more about what drives the giants to organize. We need you all to strike as quickly and deeply as you can into that Rift.

The sooner more Frost Giants die, the better. But an infiltration or recon-in force, followed by a siege backed by your new allies, may be necessary as well. Lord Stark is taking a force far northward, and needs to move past the Frost Giants to reach his goal.

The party were obviously prompted to ask questions or make comments.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J%C3%B6tunn

Cwreando
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#5 Post by Cwreando »

Lorath reads his scroll as well, "The guild must have faith in our mission Friends. I just hope we are up to the task. A Jǫtunn is no small task to say the least. It would seem I am able to freelance a bit and support your cause."

Did Lorath gather any useful intel himself as part of his capture that would be useful here?

Lorath takes in the meeting and any discussions by the others, He considers his response/questions if any. He does not want to step on any toes here.
Trist Flameheart Multi-Class in progress Gray Elf Fighter/Mage 3/3 - Grey Wolf's Mystara Adventures (Ad&d 2e) Active
Durgo Brigthboon Fighter Human Level 3 - Spearment's Barromaze

saalaria
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#6 Post by saalaria »

"Well, well the Gods truly do move in ways we can not foresee! An alliance with the Wildings? Something I never expected to hear in my lifetime. Their mammoths are certainly impressive beasts but if we are on another infiltrtion mission I must confess I am unsure of what help they will provide...unless we get caught of course."
The cleric ponders the new information.

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#7 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Rommel looks a little sad "Well it appears I don't have a scroll. I guess that is due to my new recruit status." his shoulders slump a little but he listens to the others.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#8 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Flambeau

Flam reads his scroll and contemplates its words for a moment before handing it to Arqos. After the slave is done reading he says. We must make haste with this mission my brother. It seems that our own need the help of R'hllors servants as much as these northerners do.

Flam sees the new paladin slump after not receiving a note and walks over to him. What gods do you serve holy warrior? Surely none that would accept one of their followers to act out such self pity. Flam looks Rommel up and down, then continues. If I may give you a bit of advice before we head out......If what we are about to do is anything like the last endeavor we faced, this will be NO place for emotions like that sir! You might want to toughen up a bit.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by Zhym »

Arqos's brow furrows as he reads the scroll. His lips move as he slowly works his way through the message. Just getting through the word "approximately" takes the better part of a minute for the barely-literate Soldier of the Fiery Hand.

"I do not understand," he finally admits. "Are we needed at Skane, or is Karigon offering his assistance here? I am glad to hear that the the Lord's word is being spread though that island, and that the people there are receptive to the Truth. If only I could be two places at once! But only the Lord can be everywhere." He makes the sign of the flame over his heart.

After Flambeau chastises the new paladin, Arqos gently chides his fellow priest. "Have compassion, my brother. Though we strive for virtue at all times, even the best of us are only human. Perhaps our new friend is sad for lack of news. Wouldn't you have been disappointed had you not heard from our men in Skane?"

"Let us speak of plans," he continues. "We were brought here because we are needed here. I think I would tell Karigon to continue spreading Light in the villages around Tanaroa, but to stay away from the interior of the island until we return. I fear the Others are too strong for them alone. But the Lord of Light gave you the talent for strategy. What do you say?"

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#10 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Flambeau looks back at Arqos with a confused expression.

We are not babysitters brother. If there are those amongst us who are not fit for this journey, would it not be best to know that now? Before we set out?

And as far as our personal strategy, I would say in this instance, I would agree with you wholeheartedly my friend. You have come a long way in the learnings of the Illuminated One my son. You will make me and the Lord very proud with your actions on this quest. I have seen it in the flames with my own eyes.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by Zhym »

"Who can know who is fit for the journey until it has begun?" Arqos asks Flambeau. "Who acts meek may be the fiercest in battle, and who speaks boldly may cower with fear when danger comes. We judge by actions, brother Flambeau, not by words, do we not?"

Arqos slaps Rommel on the back in a friendly manner. "Your symbols are strange to me," he says. "You dress all in black as would a member of the Watch, yet you have not taken the oath? Tell me, are you a follower of the One True God?"

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by Zhym »

Gaerys salutes the Lord Commander, then asks his questions.

"What do we know about the rift and its occupants?" he asks. As the Lord Commander answers questions, Gaerys will offer more, one at a time:

"Did the scouts send back anything of the rift's layout?"
"Do you know how many occupy it?"
"Are the giants active during the day or night?"
"Is there anywhere nearby we can set camp unobserved?"
"How treacherous is the terrain?"
"Have any creatures been sighted about the rift other than giants, ogres, and Jotunn?"
"How much time do we have before Lord Stark's force arrives at the rift?"

GreyWolfVT

#13 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Zhym wrote:"Who can know who is fit for the journey until it has begun?" Arqos asks Flambeau. "Who acts meek may be the fiercest in battle, and who speaks boldly may cower with fear when danger comes. We judge by actions, brother Flambeau, not by words, do we not?"

Arqos slaps Rommel on the back in a friendly manner. "Your symbols are strange to me," he says. "You dress all in black as would a member of the Watch, yet you have not taken the oath? Tell me, are you a follower of the One True God?"
Rommel ignores Flam entirely. Looks to Arqos "I serve the old gods. If that is what you ask. The oath oh I have taken many oaths in my time. As to which oath you speak I can only guess based on my attire you mean the oath of the night watch? If that is so I cannot say I have had the honor yet." he straightens up "soldiers up" ready to go.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

Computer +1
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#14 Post by Computer +1 »

Vorsyin grimaces when he sees the distance the group will be traveling. He mutters to no one in particular We will be far away and on our own for too long...

He waits for Gaerys questions to be asked and answered in turn before asking his own question. Lord Commander why are we even venturing out to this Rift? With Lord Stark's reinforcements why are we not using the advantage of the Wall itself and repelling any attempts on it? We destroyed the Stedding and eliminated the giant's supply route, why risk going out further when we can allow them to come to where we are stronger?

Magnus
Ranger
Ranger

#15 Post by Magnus »

Time: 8:25

The heroes make some long-overdue introductions, and begin to discuss the news from afar and get their heads around their next move.

As Arqos and Flambeau discuss the news received, Arqos's pendant glows warmly at the mention of taking the Rift. It is clear that the Lord's work will proceed in steps...and the next one is going to entail bringing the Light to the Cold. Their men were safe and competently proceeding in strengthening their base for the heroes' eventual (re) turn to Skane...
Computer +1 wrote:Lord Commander why are we even venturing out to this Rift? With Lord Stark's reinforcements why are we not using the advantage of the Wall itself and repelling any attempts on it? We destroyed the Stedding and eliminated the giant's supply route, why risk going out further when we can allow them to come to where we are stronger?
The Lord Commander laughs grimly and shakes his head.

My son, I understand that a certain amount of caution is necessary for a profession so painstaking and scholarly as your own. But that caution needs to be buffered by a sense of the reality at hand. Do you not think we would be standing upon the Wall right now were that our most effective strategy?

Giants have already crossed the Gorge and attacked the Shadow Tower many times, and even ventured south. The Wall is no longer secure.

Destroying the Steading was a crucial first step, yes. But forces of stronger giants have begun to assemble - and what we have learned is that this Rift is a key command point. It is time for us to go from defense to attack. Now is the time that we crush this Giant uprising. Your taking the Rift, and learning what you can from your invasion of it is our next step.

And worry not about the journey - do you not remember that chain you recovered? Our Maester and those of the Starks have tested this thing, and your theories are correct - it will teleport up to nine men to the foot of the massive glacier in which the Rift rests.

Zhym wrote:Gaerys salutes the Lord Commander, then asks his questions.

"What do we know about the rift and its occupants?" he asks. As the Lord Commander answers questions, Gaerys will offer more, one at a time:

"Did the scouts send back anything of the rift's layout?"
"Do you know how many occupy it?"
"Are the giants active during the day or night?"
"Is there anywhere nearby we can set camp unobserved?"
"How treacherous is the terrain?"
"Have any creatures been sighted about the rift other than giants, ogres, and Jotunn?"
"How much time do we have before Lord Stark's force arrives at the rift?"
The Lord Commander sighs with a slight smile. Gaerys's rapid fire questions are a little grating and demanding in the same way as the constant cry of a hungry baby crow. Nonetheless, the Commander knows that deliberateness is one of the qualities that make Gaerys so effective. He puts his arm around the ranger and presses a piece of paper into his hand.

Brother, all good questions. Our scouts did what they could - heavy blizzards blanket that part of the Frostfangs, which limited their visibility and ability to convey full information.

We know very little of the Rift's inhabitants, other than a large force of frost giants (perhaps 30) and ogres are resident in the Rift and are being joined by more frost giants, Jotuns - the larger giants who inhabit the far-flung peaks of the Frostfangs, such as Children of the Sky, and hill giants. They are active both day and night. I am sure that there are others of giantkind within, and undoubtedly slaves and pets. Whether there are more exotic and dangerous creatures therein, I do not know. The scouts report constant comings and goings from all directions, which lead us to understand the Rift is a critical juncture.

The Glacier is, of course, made of ice and very treacherous.

We have the sketch of its layout, which is what I just handed you.

G2 Rear cover.jpg
G2 Rear cover.jpg (70.97 KiB) Viewed 1190 times
Note that the entrance, at the Eastern end splits to paths on the north and south edges respectively, and there are cliffs overhanging the Rift floor. These cliffs hold the entrances to a series of caves in which giants were spotted coming and going.

And finally, yes, the scouts discovered a small but well-hidden cave approximately 1 mile from the Rift. You will be able to locate it easily when you arrive.

As I said, the scouts have disappeared, so I suspect that they've paid for this information with their lives. Use it well.

And Lord Stark is not going to the Rift. He means to strike north with a large force, which he will split at the source of the Milkwater. He will personally make his way to Thenn to negotiate an alliance with the Magnar of Thenn. He will free Thenn, then strike southward. He will send a side force, lead by Lord Cray and made up primarily of Crannogmen, into the marshes at the heart of the Haunted Forest to face a force of Marsh Giants and conduct an investigation similar to your own.

So, further questions from anyone? If not, I will leave you to prepare and recommend that you do any preparation that you wish today and depart by teleportation chain tomorrow.[/dialog]

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Crannogmen

SORRY GW - you did arrive with the Starks, so it did not make sense for you to get a note...I am certainly going to work you into the RP, but you've gotta understand that the rest of the characters have a year++ history in this game.

GreyWolfVT

#16 Post by GreyWolfVT »

I understand. It did provide some brief RP/Drama ;)
Rommel ponders a moment taking all in. "A shame there is not a way to bring something massive crashing down into the rift to crush the giants. A large peak or something seal em down there or even better killing them there." he thinks out loud.
Last edited by GreyWolfVT on Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#17 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Awesome!
Anyone have an opinion on casting the Commune from the Amulet before we leave or should we wait. It's only usable once per week.

GreyWolfVT

#18 Post by GreyWolfVT »

I'm not opposed to that or for it. In other words it could provide some useful information now but the same could be true for using it later on.

Cwreando
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#19 Post by Cwreando »

If you use the amulet to avoid memorizing the spell I'd say wait. If anyone in the party can cast commune who normally has it memorized then I'd say go ahead.

Lorath moves away from the group to a private secluded location to make his headbands. He cast Continual light on the flat discs (Rocks or coins) He then inserts them into a small opening on the upper part of the headband so that the opening is slightly smaller than the size of the disc to ensure it stays in place and 90% off it is visible. He then sews up the upper part of the headband where the disc was inserted securing it into the headband so it stays put. He sews a flap over the coin just on the upper edge so it can be lifted and tucked underneath the headband when someone wants to use the light or wraps it around the disc to prevent it from showing through. Lorath does this two times. He keeps one for himself and puts it on but has the disc wrapped so it's not showing any light.

He goes back to the group later on and says, "I've created a headband with a continual light stone in it if anyone a source of light I have a spare headband. First come first serve. I'll make more if others want one after I run out. Perhaps one of you military strategy folks can lay out our forces and give us an idea of our preliminary strategy once we get there."

What forces do we have to utilize for the siege, should that be necessary?
Infilitration was mentioned but is there a plan on how that might happen?
Are there more ways into the rift other than shown on the map?
Some of these question may be things we find out once we get there I suppose.

If possible Lorath sends a message back to the Guild thanking them for the gift and updates them on their current situation. He will enjoy a decent meal and beverage with the party since it will likely be some time before he has a meal this good again. He will rest and prepare new spells.
Trist Flameheart Multi-Class in progress Gray Elf Fighter/Mage 3/3 - Grey Wolf's Mystara Adventures (Ad&d 2e) Active
Durgo Brigthboon Fighter Human Level 3 - Spearment's Barromaze

Computer +1
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#20 Post by Computer +1 »

Vorsyin will take a headband with a nod of thanks to Lorath.

As to the strategy of this raid, Vorsyin completely disagrees with the Lord Commander but he tries his best not to let it show. The mage was used to taking orders from the highest ranking wizards in Valyeria, he would hold his tongue now. He said the words and the oath, it is not his decision to make.

Return to “Against the Giants (OSRIC)”