Sortie 1: The Cave of the Bree-Yarks

Q.Q Elf
Ranger
Ranger

Re: Sortie 1: The Cave of the Bree-Yarks

#61 Post by Q.Q Elf »

Optional help for Orator... Hmmm. It seems to imply a prepared speech, "written by scholars and theologians". I don't mind giving you a benefit in Round 1 (reflecting your pre-debate discussions), but all your Scholars and Theologians are active participants (i.e. as I read it, only people who are not active during the round can provide Help). If you want to swap it around, and let Horris/GreyWorfVT take an action, that's okay.

Also, do note that you could shoe-horn Nature into this (i.e. Nature overriding Beginner's Luck for the skill-less). With Human Nature - Boasting & Demanding, that can easily parley into some sort of Orator action. It can even be a Manipulator action with the right spin. Elf Nature - Remembering or Singing might also fit, depending on how you play it. You don't get a Beginner's Luck benefit, but you've got more dice to fling, anyway.

Also, don't neglect your Traits, should they apply. Begging for bonuses is part of the game! :D

Feel free to adjust your Actions as you like since I haven't discussed the Goblin script, although I know what it is already.
There is only one real path: the river of fire. Everything else is an illusion. Trevor Faith, in Christopher Moeller's Faith Conquers

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#62 Post by Keehnelf »

My read on it is that everyone who's not the active character for a given action is available to help (the example play at the end of TB book illustrates this happening, as folks who have actions assigned elsewhere in the volley are helping on the other two), so our scholars and loremasters and such are still on the ready :)

Q.Q Elf
Ranger
Ranger

#63 Post by Q.Q Elf »

Yeah, pretty clear in the example.

Okay, you use helper die if people have the skill (please roleplay as such), without exception... but then I will say it's only good for the opening round in the case of Theologian & Scholar as help for Orator.

If you had an audience of Theologians, Scholars, or others, then I'd be open to extended use of those skills as Help... but these are Goblins, and the finer philosophical points of discussion will be lost on them.

Do take advantage of "I am Wise", though.
There is only one real path: the river of fire. Everything else is an illusion. Trevor Faith, in Christopher Moeller's Faith Conquers

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#64 Post by Keehnelf »

Oh, I certainly plan to :)

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#65 Post by Keehnelf »

OK, it looks like we have Simon's character with a Feint. Time for some description, or a reveal of his opposed action so he can narrate properly based on that!

Q.Q Elf
Ranger
Ranger

#66 Post by Q.Q Elf »

So we're good with the script? I'll reveal the Goblins' script in order if we're set?

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#67 Post by sulldawga »

The actions I listed were just suggestions. Feel free to suggest alternatives, if you guys want.

Or we can go with those to speed up the process. I don't have a strong opinion, other than to let Marodin take an Attack or Defend action so we get his Orator skillz in play.

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#68 Post by Keehnelf »

Ah gotcha--I always like starting with a Maneuver as a first action because it has no hard counters (at worst it's a versus test reducing the effectiveness of either Attack or Defend) and can improve our operation later in the volley. It's a soft entry and can really make a difference later depending on how the contests shape up.

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#69 Post by Keehnelf »

And I would be willing to take up the mantle of a Maneuver using my Nature under the guise of remembering the laws and exposing him as a fraud.

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#70 Post by sulldawga »

Maneuver - Erinas
Attack - Marodin
Defend - Ahmad

??

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#71 Post by Keehnelf »

I like that.

Simon
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#72 Post by Simon »

I'm in.
A little bit of damage is good for the system
-Tehching Hsieh

Harlan Wax, Halfling Burglar - Flickering Light (Torchbearer)

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#73 Post by sulldawga »

OK, let's do it.

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#74 Post by Keehnelf »

QQ, do you prefer me to narrate my action in isolation, or to do so in the context of what the opponent's action is?

Q.Q Elf
Ranger
Ranger

#75 Post by Q.Q Elf »

Goblins are
  • Zlatkul, King of all Caves: Attack (2 successes, 2 1 4 6 1 3 2 2)
  • Bodyguard 1 (Garblag the Thick): Attack (4 successes, 4 2 6 1 6 5 3 2)
  • Bodyguard 2 (Grimbolg the Unready): Defend (6 successes, 4 6 6 1 2 5 6 5)

With Monsters Helping Monsters & no monster skills...
Goblin Nature + 5 helpers? :shock: I guess I stacked this against you...

At least their Disposition isn't so huge since you framed it as Convince Crowd rather than Convince.

Volley 1: Zlatkul, King of all Caves ATTACK!
Your rolls are 2 1 4 6 1 3 2 2
You had 2 successes

The Goblin Chief shifts uncertainly in his seat. He licks his wine-stained lips, and begins to speak (with the book-bearer Goblin making a reasonable attempt to translate into Common so that we can have a debate):
"Manlings! Again, I, Zlatkul, King of all Caves, greet you as true master. It is said in your book of Elfy law, 'Goblins be the bosses of all. Hail Goblins. We are the strongest. You give us gift now.' Therefore, Manling intruders into my home, you should provide Zlatkul with a gift that is suitable for the King of all Caves, and Defeater of all Manlings."

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#76 Post by Keehnelf »

Yeah, 5 helpers definitely stacks things heavily against us but at least their nature is a little bit low.

Erinas will be using her Remembering Nature to recall passages of the Old Law that sound like what the goblin has just spouted, but which cast his demands as what they are: crude misrepresentations and corrupted misinterpretations of a delicate and far mightier-sounding law. She will leave openings in her speech to allow Marodin to interject with appropriate truisms or explications based on his knowledge of goblins that will help them hear the message all the better. She addresses the gathered group rather than the chief when possible.

"The elfy laws tell us that true power, true strength, comes from understanding and an appreciation for the glories of the past--the goblins of ages past knew these things well, and that is why they were able to travel freely across the land and share goods and knowledge with other peoples. It is a sorry thing that some goblins today cling to the relics of ages past without understanding their importance, or without allowing the strength that they impart to flow freely to all of goblinkind..."

This is before any bonuses for Help or other people's contributions through Wises. I'd love some help to boost my base of 5D on Nature.

Q.Q Elf
Ranger
Ranger

#77 Post by Q.Q Elf »

Attack-Maneuver is a Versus test, and Chief Zlatkul has 2 Successes. So you'll need 2 to avoid the Disposition loss.

Hmmm. Maybe we can do a Hand-wave for Help in order to move things faster instead of roleplaying all the Help. Didn't quite think that one through.

Helpers...
Certainly Goblin-Wise from Marodin. +1D
I don't know if you can fit Dark Secrets-wise in this particular point.
Nobody has Manipulator.

At some point, you can call on Fiery, but you probably don't want to use it up this time.

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#78 Post by Keehnelf »

Sounds good. On my phone until morning so no dice rolls but will post in the am.

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#79 Post by sulldawga »

I don't think we should waste any one-time shots on this round. You only have to get to 2, pretty easy. And the rest of the first round is going to be a waste of time. Whatever damage we do is going to be replenished when they get their six Defend successes.

At least we didn't Feint!

I suspect we're going to get hammered in this conflict. If they're consistently rolling 8 dice, they can just keep Attacking and we'll never stop them. We don't have enough helpers on this one.

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#80 Post by sulldawga »

Actually, I don't understand why you rolled all three Actions in advance. If we knock out some of those goblins with our Attack in the second action, they won't be able to help with the Defend, right?

Same thing with this action. If we are successful with the Maneuver, we can Impede and knock off some of their rolls.

Return to “Torchbearer: Return to the Keep on the Borderlands”