Sortie 1: The Cave of the Bree-Yarks

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Sortie 1: The Cave of the Bree-Yarks

#81 Post by Keehnelf »

You know, I was thinking the same thing myself. If nothing else, seeing the later rolls tells me what kinds of decisions I should be making about use of successes on maneuver, traits that need to be called on, etc.

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#82 Post by GreyWolfVT »

I wasn't thinking anything seeing as I have no idea what your all talking about, I'm just rolling with it all. ;)
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Simon
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#83 Post by Simon »

Also, am I wrong in thinking that so long as Keehnelf is testing Nature, everyone else can Help with nature? Doesn't matter what action he's taking, only what skill/ability he's rolling? I cant pull up the book right now so I could be remembering incorrectly...

All that being said, Moradin's probably right...
A little bit of damage is good for the system
-Tehching Hsieh

Harlan Wax, Halfling Burglar - Flickering Light (Torchbearer)

Q.Q Elf
Ranger
Ranger

#84 Post by Q.Q Elf »

I mostly posted rolls ahead for expedience (we can knock "dead"goblins off the back end of the dice chains), and keeping things moving, but I can refrain.

Okay, helping dice.

I have my handy dandy PDF right here... Regarding Help. Page 66 has a thing about Helping Beginners (since Erinas is using Nature in lieu of Manipulator). First, you look to skills... which are 0 in this case. Then you look at Will, Health, or Nature as appropriate.

And that is the odd one since it's beginner's luck we are talking about, so you are talking about a skill. Earlier, however, it says Abilities Help Abilities. Will helps on Will tests, etc. Nature can help on a Nature test if you have an "appropriate descriptor".

So... I think you can use Nature to Help on a Nature check for Beginner's Luck. You need to be able to link a descriptor to the test (so nothing outside of your Nature). Human Boasting and Demanding are super broad. I guess you could even shoehorn Dwarven Shrewd Appraisal into situations (though I haven't considered it).

Anyway, add dice as appropriate.
There is only one real path: the river of fire. Everything else is an illusion. Trevor Faith, in Christopher Moeller's Faith Conquers

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#85 Post by Keehnelf »

Actually, Erinas is testing Nature in lieu of beginner's luck. Which means only wises and others with the same descriptor in their nature that she is calling on can assist.

Q.Q Elf
Ranger
Ranger

#86 Post by Q.Q Elf »

I thought the language on that is kind of fuzzy, though.

There is another section on page 27 under Beginners Luck for Helping with Nature. It says you can help if the test is "associated with your Nature descriptors". It seemed to hinge on the intent of the test, and not the specifics of the Nature end. I don't think you need the same descriptor, unless there is another section or description elsewhere.

It also seems to imply that Nature is a blanket helper for a ton of stuff. I guess that is fair since Monsters Help Monsters in a much broader way.
There is only one real path: the river of fire. Everything else is an illusion. Trevor Faith, in Christopher Moeller's Faith Conquers

Q.Q Elf
Ranger
Ranger

#87 Post by Q.Q Elf »

On page 133, there is another section on Helping with Nature. On that one, it says the descriptor has to match the action of the test.

I think I lean towards the big tent view of using Nature to help on a test. If the play example says different, it wouldn't surprise me, though. 8-)

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#88 Post by sulldawga »

So... did we come to any conclusions?

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#89 Post by Keehnelf »

I'm fine with the big tent view in here to move things forward, but I'll be using the descriptor-specific limited in my game :)

Q.Q Elf
Ranger
Ranger

#90 Post by Q.Q Elf »

sulldawga wrote:So... did we come to any conclusions?
if you don't have the skill, you may use Nature to help a roll if the use of the Nature descriptor matches the intentions of the test.

Since we are relying on the tester to sum up Helper dice, the tester will add in whatever appropriate description to the ooc dice throw discussion when summing up results.

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#91 Post by Keehnelf »

Erinas makes a compelling case with her fluent memory of the history and laws of the elves and related peoples:

Erinas Nature plus 1D for Fresh [1d6] = 1, [1d6] = 4, [1d6] = 5, [1d6] = 6, [1d6] = 4

Marodin's Goblin-Wise is clearly the route to success, as he offers wisdom on how to tailor the message to the audience at hand (+1D I Am Wise), and Ahmad's Demanding Nature helps lend a ferocity to the group's chorus of cries of indignation over the misappropriation of the trappings of real power (+1D Nature Help)

Group Help [1d6] = 3, [1d6] = 5

So Ahmad's help is actually more useful than Marodin's--odd, that :)

That makes 5 successes, or three above the goblins', so before i pick a result I need to know--do these goblins have any abilities they're using that give them bonus dice? I would like to strip them of a "weapon" through disarm to even the long-term odds a bit, but this hasn't been laid out yet.

GreyWolfVT

#92 Post by GreyWolfVT »

not sure if you require me to do anything.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#93 Post by Keehnelf »

Nope, not yet. I was hoping to avoid bringing your Avenging a Grudge nature into play right now--given that I'm not sure we want things to escalate to immediate bloodshed even if we win :)

GreyWolfVT

#94 Post by GreyWolfVT »

works for me. ;)

Q.Q Elf
Ranger
Ranger

#95 Post by Q.Q Elf »

Keehnelf wrote: That makes 5 successes, or three above the goblins', so before i pick a result I need to know--do these goblins have any abilities they're using that give them bonus dice? I would like to strip them of a "weapon" through disarm to even the long-term odds a bit, but this hasn't been laid out yet.
no Goblin weapons for the Conflict. They are only using Monsters Help Monsters for bonus dice.

Busier day for me at work...

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#96 Post by Keehnelf »

OK, then I'll impede them (-1D) and Position us (+2D) for the next action.

Q.Q Elf
Ranger
Ranger

#97 Post by Q.Q Elf »

GM Voice: Gosh darn it...

I was just reading the PDF while in the thinking room, and I saw on page 72 "Helpers in Conflicts", which says "Helpers can only help if they have the ability or skill listed for the current action"... or use "I am Wise". That's it. You only get the Help suggestions for a simple Versus test, and not during a Conflict. So no Nature helping Nature... you need the specific skill listed for the actions in a Convince Crowd test (Orator or Manipulator) in order to Help in the Conflict, unless you can use I am Wise.

Anyway, so Erinas' action rides as it is. Next actions need to trim back Helpers to what it says for Help in a Conflict.

Okay, better get my next Goblin up...

Okay. So Impede is "on their next roll" (according to the example of play). So that means I lose a dice to roll for my next Goblin.

I guess in the interest of suspense, I'll be making fresh rolls for the remaining Goblins in this round. Maybe because I'm listening to relaxing music right now (Aoi Teshima, "Sayonara no Natsu", from Studio Ghibli's From Up on Poppy Hill)

---

The next Goblin, who is notable for the thick padding of fat around his torso, steps forward to speak.

"I, Garblag, tell you that Zlatkul is true King of all Caves. Our neighbors, the Hobgoblins of Firetoad tribe, now recognize us as bosses! Brave Zlatkul allows them to share our Caves because we are bosses! Not even bad Hurters come to stop us! All Manlings are afraid of us, the great goblins of Bree-Yark. Zlatkul, King of all Caves, deserve tribute from Manlings, and then Manlings go fight Hurters for the brave Bree-Yark tribe!"

Bodyguard 1 (Garblag the Thick) Volley 2: Attack
Nature 3 + 5 Helpers -1D from Impede
Your roll results:
Your rolls are 1 2 4 1 1 3 4
You had 2 successes

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#98 Post by Keehnelf »

Just a note, but we should also know what their disposition overall is, and how it's divided--the Chief gets to decide now additional damage is divided up once we take out the person who's getting hit, but it's at least a bit valuable to know up front.

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#99 Post by sulldawga »

Marodin will clear his throat and begin his verbal assault on the chief. He pulls out his holy symbol and shows it to the goblins.

Your chief is a fool! He thinks he's leading you according to Maglubiyet but look at his staff! That is the symbol of my gods, the Lords! He shows you the book of elven laws but he can't even read the book! He claims that he's the boss of all the caves but, if that is so, why do you hide in this cave from The Dead Who Walk? Let a true servant of the Lords lead you and we won't hide in this cave! Follow me and we'll emerge victorious, crushing our enemies before us!
4d from Orator + 2d from last test's Maneuver + 1d for Fresh = 7d versus Ob1 for Low Light.

Output: [1d6] = 2, [1d6] = 1, [1d6] = 4, [1d6] = 6, [1d6] = 4, [1d6] = 5, [1d6] = 1

Four successes.

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#100 Post by Keehnelf »

Marodin was getting full light from Erinas' torch. The other two guys are the ones in dim light.

Return to “Torchbearer: Return to the Keep on the Borderlands”