Prologue: Mid-morning. The old North Road.

Simon
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Re: Prologue: Mid-morning. The old North Road.

#21 Post by Simon »

Ahmad is about to offer a quick retort to the laughing elf, but something catches in his mind and he finds himself without remark, for the first time in a very long time indeed. Before he can marshal himself she is off.

To Marodin and Horris he replies Tis' an odd company to be sure, but all things like and unlike... and trails off. Usually he would have no trouble speaking for several minutes on the True and Holy Relation of Incommensurate Natures, but for some reason unknown to him, he can't muster the will to do so. His eyes fall back on the mound of blackened flesh. A child's hand rises from the pile, pitted, red and peeling. He shakes his head and marches silently after Moradin.
A little bit of damage is good for the system
-Tehching Hsieh

Harlan Wax, Halfling Burglar - Flickering Light (Torchbearer)

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#22 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Horris trails the others following the elf.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Q.Q Elf
Ranger
Ranger

#23 Post by Q.Q Elf »

The drag marks and blood spatter lead to the left of the trail (vaguely north and west, with the adventurers walking mostly eastward along the Trade Road). The Elf sees many footprints, as if this is a well-used path to the road itself. The footprints range from large to small, from six-toed to boot-shod.

The blood-spattered path leads into the treeline, which echo with the normal sounds of the woods - small songbirds, chittering insects, rustling leaves. There is nothing but the path of drag marks and blood droplets and all manner of footprints that seems out of place amongst the trees.

Breaking free of the treeline, the group stares into the gaping maw of the Caves of Chaos. It is like a ravine, cut into the side of the sandstone hill from rainwash. Many cave entrances dot the interior face of the ravine, with 4 cave mouths closest the treeline.

The strong smell of death and rotting flesh comes from the highest and furthest of the four nearest cave entrances.

The closest of the four cave mouths (on the right of the ravine, with the party facing the mouth of the ravine entrance) is a small one, partly hidden behind a small stand of trees.

The drag marks mostly go towards the other entrance on the right, which is clearly marked by a hand-written sign that says, "KEEP OUT".

The fourth entrance (on the left), with less bloody drag marks than the cave entrance to the right, stinks of something other than death, which Marodin identifies as Goblin dung... all heaped around the exterior of the cave, as if a great number of goblins live within and simply deposited their night soils by the entrance.
There is only one real path: the river of fire. Everything else is an illusion. Trevor Faith, in Christopher Moeller's Faith Conquers

GreyWolfVT

#24 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Horris sniffs the air "Ah Goblins I love ta kill goblins." he looks to the others feeling a bit embarassed to express soo openly one of his favored enemies. "Pardon my outburst. So whats the plan shall we enter the cave with the obvious blood trail? Heed the warning so obviously posted on the sign back there? Head to the keep? What are ya thinkin'?" he stands there ready for whatever choice they have made "Either way I aim to help clear a few of these caves by your sides, know that now."
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#25 Post by Keehnelf »

Erinas taps her foot thoughtfully as she looks over the view. She scans the area for miscellaneous items that could be of use - significant amounts of fallen brush, large stones that would conceivably be movable for a party of this size, etc.

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#26 Post by sulldawga »

Marodin stops briefly to consider a plan.

The sign will not deter us. We have evidence that the villains responsible for the wagon ambush reside in that cave. It is there that we begin our search for justice... and vengeance.

The Paladin will begin striding toward the cave with the warning sign, slowing briefly to look over his shoulder at Erinas.

Commune with Nature on your own time, elf. The rocks and trees will still be here when we return.

GreyWolfVT

#27 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Horris even though not being an elf looks a bit upset by the paladin's words to the Elf. "No respect for others rituals eh?"

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#28 Post by Keehnelf »

Erinas just smiles at the interruption. "The impetuousness of youth! Even while following a bright torch, it often falls down dark holes."

She seems to consider this enough to get her companions to hold off on their invasion of the caves while she finishes her examination.

GreyWolfVT

#29 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Horris holds back and stays out near Erinas knowing well what she means by the latest statement. "Indeed. Like tryin' ta get blood from a rock sometimes." he continues to scan the area looking for an goblins or other evils that might try and attack them.

Simon
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#30 Post by Simon »

Beyond these four entrances what do we see? Could we keep marching into the ravine past them? Not that I want to I'm just trying to get a grasp on what we're seeing.

Ahmad murmurs a prayer to himself and again taps his forehead, thinking to himself A foul lair indeed. Would that the world had been made without the dark mark of Goblin-kind upon it...alas...

As Marodin strides off he calls to him Hold Brother! I agree that the path to vengeance seems clearly marked, but things may not be what they seem. Erinas, do you have a plan?
-Tehching Hsieh

Q.Q Elf
Ranger
Ranger

#31 Post by Q.Q Elf »

Simon wrote:Beyond these four entrances what do we see? Could we keep marching into the ravine past them? Not that I want to I'm just trying to get a grasp on what we're seeing.
Game Master Voice: There are maybe a dozen Cave entrances, all scattered along the walls of the ravine. The intent of the original module was for adventurers to kill the easier monsters on the closest/outside caves before clearing the caves in the deep part of the ravine (where the nastier bits are).

You can shortcut the front of the cave complex if you like. I'd have to refer to the module to put some description to the other entrances.

It's not the easiest thing to describe in a map-able way since the entrances are scatted across a V-shaped ravine, all at different elevations.
There is only one real path: the river of fire. Everything else is an illusion. Trevor Faith, in Christopher Moeller's Faith Conquers

Simon
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#32 Post by Simon »

Gotcha. Thanks for the clarification.
-Tehching Hsieh

GreyWolfVT

#33 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Q.Q Elf wrote: It's not the easiest thing to describe in a map-able way since the entrances are scatted across a V-shaped ravine, all at different elevations.[/color]
I might be able to aid with a visual.....

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#34 Post by Keehnelf »

Erinas smiles at Ahmad. "A good question. I have no plan, as yet, but I have worries and I seek something that will allay them a bit."

She points at the goblin-cave. "It strikes me that if we enter that cave we may be outnumbered easily by the foul swarm of goblin-kind, or mired in a long struggle during which an alarm may sound that creates difficulties with us should we need to leave the caves and regroup."

She paces back and forth a bit. "Similarly, I am concerned that a foray into the upper caves may force us into a confrontation with enemies beyond our current resources, and if the goblin-swarm below becomes mobilized we are surely doomed. I seek a way to limit the movement and communication of our foes. Since it is daylight, we can hope that they will not have patrols--and if we move swiftly it may afford us the chance to hamper them while they dream their bloody dreams."

She taps her temple. "Can your discerning eye find a path toward any of these goals?"

Simon
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#35 Post by Simon »

Wise concerns. If we could limit the Goblin's ability to move from cave to cave perhaps we could simplify our task? Though these caves are likely to be deeply interconnected. We might try to collapse the mouths of the three caves we are not entering?
-Tehching Hsieh

GreyWolfVT

#36 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Horris scratches his vast beard looking in thought "Valid concerns. Tis part of why I am not rushing off into a cave." he ponders some more on the issue. "I think part of our issue is far too many enemies and far too few of us. While attack in daylight we are entering a cave to which the sunlight has it's limits of reach. As dumb as gobs are I still doubt they will all be asleep easy for killing. Traps are imminent, and we appear to lack a nimble fingered thief." he perks up at the idea of the "cave ins" "That could be of aid to us but if they are connected caves as I too suspect we would flush more enemies upon us in the one cave."

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#37 Post by sulldawga »

Marodin rounds on the rest of the party, anger flashing across his face.

If your aim is to talk yourself out of all action, giving you reason to turn tail and skulk back to town, you've succeeded. Quite the impressive feat, considering we've seen not one damned Goblin at all!

If there's any among you who have the fortitude to enter one of these caves and put these cowardly Goblins to the sword, follow me!

Marodin will approach the cave mouth with the sign, sheath his sword, and drop his pack. He'll dig out a torch and light it. Once that's done, he'll enter the cave.

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#38 Post by Keehnelf »

How is Marodin carrying a torch with that giant two-handed sword of his? Only one-handed weapons have belt sheaths, bigger ones are hand-carried or occupy body slots.

Erinas looks irritated for a brief moment, a shadow flitting across her features, before she masters herself. "Friend paladin, no one here has suggested that we turn back--I would simply like to see what we can do to limit our foes before rushing into danger. We will be better served facing enemies only from the front rather than both before and behind." She casts a glance to his massive sword. "Especially with a weapon as large as that, surely space will be an issue for our work within?"

Still waiting on a word from the GM as to whether there appear to be any brushpiles or movable bouldery type rocks.

Q.Q Elf
Ranger
Ranger

#39 Post by Q.Q Elf »

Keehnelf wrote:Still waiting on a word from the GM as to whether there appear to be any brushpiles or movable bouldery type rocks.
Game Master Voice: There are no large brushpiles, nor large rocks sufficient to block a passage. While there are landslides here and there along the ravine, they are made of small & loose chunks of sandstone. There are no large eroded boulders.

We are dangerously close to having actual Adventure Turns where rolls will come into play. I think we should nail down the last bits tonight & tomorrow, and then begin the dice banging in earnest.

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#40 Post by Keehnelf »

QUICK, DO ALL THE TURNS WHILE HE'S UNPREPARED!
Yes, let's be planful and conscientious about moving forward.

Return to “Torchbearer: Return to the Keep on the Borderlands”