Agrom Alone I

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Agrom Alone I

#81 Post by Keehnelf »

12 Brightmorn, 814 - Turn 14 - Near a Mysterious Icon

Agrom struggles and struggles to get his torch lit, looking up occasionally at the darkening sky and wondering how much time he has before light is a basic necessity, and how much time he has before that sound he heard echoing from the depths finds its way to his friends. He has almost given up hope, and asks his questions of the kobold as much in anger and frustration as out of any real hope that the answer might illuminate something new.

The kobold gets extremely angry himself at the mention of the crows, and begins cursing, first in common and then in koboldish, before gesturing dismissively at the icon. The crows don't serve anyone represented by the icon. They are simply evil, interfering interlopers and thieves.

Agrom, a bit confused, makes one more effort to light the torch and is pleasantly surprised to see it light this time. His anger fades happily away into dull exhaustion, and he sets himself back to the task at hand, when he is startled by a distant, resonant sound coming across the landscape. A horn of some kind has been winded. There is a pause as the echoes die down over the valley, and then it sounds a second time. Agrom, orc-wise, recognizes the sound. A war party of orcs is somewhere in the valley, and they are on the march. (TWIST!)

---
Party Status:
Agrom, Exhausted and Sick, with Torch (2 Turns remain) and Shield in Hand (2 Checks)
Kobold, Captive

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#82 Post by sulldawga »

Keehnelf wrote:The supplies are simply those things that are necessary to do your basic work with those skills--so for Survivalist, things like bits of twine, a skinning or woodworking knife, etc. Not disposable supplies that would provide dice bonuses. Firelighting items aren't default Survivalist skill tools, they're covered under the specific item "Tinderbox", which includes a flint and steel.
Sorry, I got Tools and Supplies confused. Tools are the default in your backpack, Supplies are the expendable stuff that gives you a +1d.

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#83 Post by Keehnelf »

Yup, exactly right.

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#84 Post by sulldawga »

Son of a hairy-assed goblin. The orcs are back. How does that make you feel, buddy?

Agrom doesn't wait for an answer from the kobold. He pushes it north through the narrow stone door, then east through the narrow archway into the Stairway Room.

Then, with the kobold leading the way, he'll head down the stairs.

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#85 Post by Keehnelf »

Agrom hurries the kobold down the steps. The kobold resists at first, and then exclaims that the proper sacrifice hasn't been made and the red-faced one will be even angrier that his temple is being invaded without permission. From his wails of misery, he seems to fear not only death but also mutilation and dismemberment and other forms of grisly divine wrath.

Ignoring his commentary for now, Agrom and the kobold make it to the bottom of the twisting and narrow stairway and find themselves in a similarly narrow passage. The ceiling is high--perhaps nine feet--and tightly arched, but the hall is only perhaps four feet wide. It extends forward perhaps ten feet before it appears to open out into a chamber of some kind.

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#86 Post by sulldawga »

Agrom will have the kobold halt for a moment. He'll quickly take off his pack and leave it at the base of the stairs. Then he'll proceed to the end of the hallway and let the kobold lead them into the chamber.

I hope I won't regret this decision but if I get into another conflict, I need all the dice I can get.

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#87 Post by Keehnelf »

The kobold leads the way into the chamber, which is round with a domed ceiling about fifteen feet high. The ceiling is ornately carved throughout into little recesses in which Agrom can dimly make out frescoes or carvings of some kind. Humanoid figures make an appearance regularly, but at ground level using only a single torch he can't make out much of the detail.

The chamber has four obvious exits in total: the passageway from which the duo have just arrived, and three other narrow arches of similar size leading essentially in the other cardinal directions. The room itself is perhaps twenty or twenty five feet across the middle, and dominated in the center by a ten foot tall statue that is obviously the Pilgrim. It towers over the chamber, with one hand at its hip clenched into a fist and the other held up with palm and closed fingers facing forward alongside its head. The stonework, like with the statue by the creek, is intricate and masterful, but the face of the figure is indistinct. The statue, unlike its counterpart by the riverside, is a kind of mottled rusty orange-red all over.

The floor of the chamber is covered with skulls and bones of various shapes and sizes, from those of small animals to those of obviously human or humanoid origin.

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#88 Post by sulldawga »

In what direction (e.g. north, south, east, west) was the hallway at the bottom of the stairs?

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#89 Post by Keehnelf »

Agrom's best guess is that he's entering this room from the West.

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#90 Post by sulldawga »

Agrom will push the kobold through the narrow arch to the north.

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#91 Post by Keehnelf »

Agrom's feet crunch upon the old bones of the improvised ossuary as he pushes the kobold toward the northern doorway. A similarly narrow passageway to the one through which they entered leads off from the chamber in that direction, and the kobold hesitates in front of the opening.

The red-faced one forbids entry beyond this point, he intones, as if reciting some doctrine from an ancient text and in surprisingly unbroken common.

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#92 Post by sulldawga »

Agrom will push him along, forcibly if required.

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#93 Post by Keehnelf »

Agrom pushes the kobold into the hallway and the kobold timidly moves forward, unsure about what might happen as a result of his transgression. After three or four feet, the kobold suddenly disappears from view as the floor collapses beneath his feet.

Agrom, holding on to the rope to not allow the kobold sufficient slack to flee, is yanked toward the open pit as well.

Health test Ob1 (+1 for Exhausted) for Agrom to release the rope (or set himself to hold the rope but avoid falling) before he gets pulled into the pit. You pick which before you roll (at -1D for Sick, so 4D vs. Ob2).

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#94 Post by sulldawga »

As soon as Agrom hears the crumbling timbers, he sinks down and bends his knees deeply. Lowering his center of gravity, he pulls hard on the rope and tugs the kobold back to safety.

Whew. I guess you weren't kidding when you said you hadn't come this way before. You can thank me later for saving your life.

What can Agrom see, both ahead and below?
I should have complained to the dice gods a lot earlier. The roller has been quite nice ever since.

Don't let go of the kobold [1d6] = 6, [1d6] = 1, [1d6] = 6, [1d6] = 6

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#95 Post by Keehnelf »

Turn 15 - A Narrow Hall

Agrom manages to pull the ok old clear of the pit and takes stock of the situation. What he had first assumed to be more crumbling stonework appears on closer inspection to be a pit trap designed to catch unwary intruders. The opening spans the entire width of the passage and drops close to ten feet into gloom. Agrom is fairly certain he sees something glimmering or shining in the torchlight at the bottom of the hole. The opening extends about five feet ahead, making it a passable obstacle for a lightly encumbered fighter like himself, though the kobolds is unlikely to be able to make it under his own power.

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#96 Post by sulldawga »

Can I pick up the kobold and throw him across the opening?

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#97 Post by Keehnelf »

He seems pretty shaken up by his fall into the pit trap but yes.

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#98 Post by Keehnelf »

I'm going to assume you don't care much about his hesitation.

Aggro tosses the kobolds bodily over the pit, letting out enough slack on the rope to allow him to make it across. The ok old lands in a crumpled heap on the far side, and stays prone. His small form shakes, and Agrom can hear the squeaky sound of the creature's sobbing resonate through the hall.

As he contemplates his next move, a faint but distinct sound of splashing water and yelling voices reaches Agrom from behind.

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#99 Post by sulldawga »

Agrom would leave the kobold there if it weren't for the fact that he might need the rope.

Stay there. I'll be right back.

Agrom will walk back into the ossuary and listen for the noises again. Once he determines from which direction they're coming, he'll walk back, jump over the pit trap, grab the kobold, toss him back over, jump back over again, and head toward the noise.

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#100 Post by Keehnelf »

The sound appears to be coming from the eastern passage. The kobold is essentially catatonic at this point, and offers neither resistance nor cooperation, landing with a horrible crumpling after the second toss. He continues to sob inaudibly.

Agrom drives the kobold back into shuffling motion and the narrow hall opens up into a triangular chamber with two humanoid statues, both eight feet tall and heavily armored, with strong brows and square beards. They flank the other exit from the room facing one another, with tall shields planted firmly and their other arms upraised, palm open and facing forward.

The chamber is somewhat rough-hewn, but the statues are of the same gray-white stone as the fortress above and finely worked. In fact, although much of the far end of the chamber, including the statues, appears to be soot-covered, the joints in the armor are so well carved that the soot has not gotten into their recesses and they can still be clearly seen.

Return to “A Flickering Light (Torchbearer)”