Agrom Alone I

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Agrom Alone I

#21 Post by Keehnelf »

Since Agrom isn't a cartographer, I can't exactly do that :)

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#22 Post by sulldawga »

Agrom will head west through the door by the lecturn into the Dining Room. He will then walk south along the clean-swept pathway to the creaky door and go east into the Broken Statue Room. He'll cross that room and stop in the doorway, looking east into the Swimming Pool room. Does he see any sign of the scaly creature in the water below? If not, he'll tell Chorko to 'stay' and quietly walk into that room to retrieve his rope.

While he does this, he'll look for a few things:

He wants to know how close to the north wall the Lecturn Door is, in both the Floating Stone Room and the Dining Room.
He wants to know how long N-S the Dining Room is. Is it really 80 feet or less?
Once he retrieves the rope, he'll pace off the Statue Room both N-S and E-W.

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#23 Post by Keehnelf »

You're going to make me snap these rooms to a grid, eh? My GM-map is as impressionistic as your player map probably currently looks :) Honest to goodness.

He successfully navigates his way back to the statue room. Without a light source to hand, it's impossible to see what's going on down in the opening while standing at the doorway from the statue room. If he stepped out on the ledge he would be able to look down, but at this distance it's all just shadows. He listens hard, however, and doesn't hear any sounds of climbing, clawing, fighting, or splashing water.

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#24 Post by sulldawga »

Agrom will assume that whatever's down in the water is too busy hunting Raiz and Harlan to bother with him so he'll grab his rope and head back to the Stairway Room. At that point, he'll look to see what the light situation is at the bottom of the stairs.

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#25 Post by Keehnelf »

The kobold has been trailing along nervously with Agrom the entire way, peering into dark corners and around bits of broken stone as though expecting the worst, his relief almost palpable when each new turn is a safe one. He comes out to the top of the broken stone section where the rope is tied alongside Agrom. He gasps a bit when he sees the drop and the wide vista overlooking the courtyard, then retreats a step or two down the rubble slope.

Agrom looks out quickly to make sure there is nothing untoward approaching outside the keep to surprise the kobold, but he spies nothing but the wide open space and the open air, which must be shocking to a creature accustomed to living in darkness and closed-in stone. He shrugs and bends down to unhook the rope from its resting place, and as he does so he feels a rough shove from the kobold, who has taken the opportunity to attempt to throw Agrom down over the edge to the courtyard's flagstones below!

Make a Health Ob2 test to avoid falling over the edge (Ob1 base to resist the weak shove, but increased due to dim lighting hurting his footing and awareness of exactly where the kobold is). Agrom has a 5D Health, but reduced by -1D due to his Sickness makes 4D.

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#26 Post by sulldawga »

Agrom stumbles a bit but the shove isn't enough to knock him off the wall. He turns around and glares at the kobold.

What in the Nine Blazing Hells do you think you're doing?

Agrom will reach out and grab the kobold to keep him from running.

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#27 Post by Keehnelf »

12 Brightmorn, 814 - Turn 9 - Atop a Dangerous Pile of Rubble

Agrom's outcry is strained and oddly harsh as it comes out through dry lips--he is Hungry & Thirsty.

OK, Capture conflict time. Disposition is Fighter roll + Will ability, -1D for sick on the roll and -1 on the final disposition for Hungry & Thirsty. Kobold's disposition in this conflict is 4.

---
Agrom, Hungry & Thirsty and Sick with Sword and Shield in Hand (Dim Light) (1 Check)

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#28 Post by sulldawga »

Can I use Heart of Battle to give myself a +1d for Disposition? I rolled very poorly.

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#29 Post by Keehnelf »

Absolutely, the heart has been kindled. Trait used until camp is done next, roll that extra die!

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#30 Post by Keehnelf »

Though in general you need to declare trait activation (for checks or for bonuses) before you roll any dice.

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#31 Post by sulldawga »

Agrom felt his stomach turn as he tried to summon the strength to fight the kobold. Despite its small size, the creature was wiry and tough and wasn't about to be corralled without a fight. Maybe he should just let the little guy run away and go back to finding his friends.

Nah. The hell with that. I'm always up for a scrap. I've never backed down before, why start now? You wanna push me off the wall, lizard? You're getting the flat of my blade right off your scaly skull.
Fighter 4d + Will 3d (-1d for Sick, -1d for Hungry & Thirsty)

Ugh. Disposition of 1.

[1d6] = 2, [1d6] = 3, [1d6] = 1, [1d6] = 4, [1d6] = 1

Add 1d for Heart of Battle. Up to Disposition 2.

[1d6] = 4

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#32 Post by sulldawga »

Keehnelf wrote:Though in general you need to declare trait activation (for checks or for bonuses) before you roll any dice.
Will do going forward.

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#33 Post by Keehnelf »

sulldawga wrote:Agrom felt his stomach turn as he tried to summon the strength to fight the kobold. Despite its small size, the creature was wiry and tough and wasn't about to be corralled without a fight. Maybe he should just let the little guy run away and go back to finding his friends.

Nah. The hell with that. I'm always up for a scrap. I've never backed down before, why start now? You wanna push me off the wall, lizard? You're getting the flat of my blade right off your scaly skull.
Fighter 4d + Will 3d (-1d for Sick, -1d for Hungry & Thirsty)

Ugh. Disposition of 1.

[1d6] = 2, [1d6] = 3, [1d6] = 1, [1d6] = 4, [1d6] = 1

Add 1d for Heart of Battle. Up to Disposition 2.

[1d6] = 4
Aha, I see the source of the problem! You only roll the skill and add the number of successes to the will score for your disposition. So you get fighter 4D with -1D for sick and add the results of that 3D (4D with heart of battle trait activation) to your Will score, then subtract one for hungry and thirsty.

Disposition: the most complex math possible in torchbearer!

Using your first four rolls, that gives 1 success, plus 3 for Will, minus 1 for H&T, for a total disposition of 3. Better than 2!

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#34 Post by Keehnelf »

I'll be working out the scripting for the kobold in the morning. Until then please don't post your scripted actions for the first round, but feel free to discuss your strategy with the other party members via PM or in OOC chat. If you include those deliberations in spoiler tags I will respect them until the round is complete, but it's all at your discretion.

I'll post instructions on how to share out your choices once I've made mine.

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#35 Post by sulldawga »

Still ok to add the 1d for Heart of Battle?

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#36 Post by Keehnelf »

I built that into my calculations above-it's why I took your first four rolls rather than the first three!

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#37 Post by sulldawga »

Agrom is using Sword and Shield for this conflict.

I am spoiler-ing my three actions so I don't influence you in case you haven't decided on the shaman's actions.
Maneuver (+1s for Sword)
Defend (+2s for Shield)
Attack

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#38 Post by Keehnelf »

OK, let's see how this approach works out (hopefully knowing what's coming in the next volley won't impact decisions in the current one much). I've arranged for an alternative approach for next volley if this one doesn't work out.

Kobold's actions:

Maneuver
Attack
Defend

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#39 Post by Keehnelf »

Forgot to add weapon/trait modifiers and other junk:

Might: 2
Nature: 3

Modifiers: Nimble Feet (+2D Maneuver, no other bonuses)

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#40 Post by Keehnelf »

OK, you've elected to give your Sword the +1D Maneuver roll ability for the entirety of the conflict.

That means action 1 is:

Agrom- Maneuver Ob1 (for Dim Light)
Fighter 4D + Sick -1D = 3D, +1s for Might if you meet or exceed Ob1
Let me know if you want to use a Trait against yourself to earn a check here--it seems unlikely that you could call upon Thoughtful here in the heat of the moment for a +1D but I'm open to narration if you think you can make it work :)

Kobold - Maneuver Ob0 (no light penalties)
Nature 3D + Nimble Feet +2D = 5D

Kobold Maneuver [1d6] = 1, [1d6] = 6, [1d6] = 3, [1d6] = 2, [1d6] = 5

I did a {5d6s4} roll initially with 5 successes reported, but I don't 100% trust that mechanic so I did it the verbal way above. 2 successes for the kobold, which he will use for a +2D bonus on his next action.

Return to “A Flickering Light (Torchbearer)”