Arpad

Eulalios

Re: Arpad

#41 Post by Eulalios »

A fair plan stumbles at the point where you ask the Gaulish warrior to hold your horse. He stares at you, blond unibrow high up a wrinkled forehead. "Lord a mercy," he responds, "who are you think you are, horse man? We both be servants to princes, no more princes us. And my prince is bigger brother. Hold you own horse, or bid him stay if he a mindful." He brandishes the spear that he's carried from his saddle holster. "Mine had sense to with peasants stayed. I go stick a pig. You stay in tree and shoot straight, I go aside and for you pull him out."

enn.in.me
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#42 Post by enn.in.me »

Trusting my horse, I will continue with the rest of the plan as stated.

Eulalios

#43 Post by Eulalios »

Your steed stays put, flaring his nostrils at the sweet poisonous leaves of the oleander bushes, but not even nibbling.

Ogier, spear held ready, short sword on his hip, moves ahead of you and aside from where you point the crossbow. When the sound of hounds rises, without sight of any, he flinches and glares at you. "... witch?! ..." he half shouts, then jerks his head back toward the belching low grunt of a full grown boar.

The boar crouches chest-high before you, thirty yards distant, chin low, eyes squinty, jaw hung open so the big tusks protrude. You have time for one shot or maybe two shots with the crossbow, if it charges. Ogier continues sidelong, at a smooth pace, spear tip always toward the boar. Your illusory hounds bay all around you, clamoring in the shrubs and treetops. Your horse rears up, hooves flailing, screaming his warcry and thrashing the green poison bushes. The boar grunts and paws the ground. Its head sways, rolling a little, eyes to you - to Ogier - to you.

What do you do?

Be mindful of my initiative house rule - post your intended action and your relevant rolls together. There is a helpful thread about using the die roller.

enn.in.me
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#44 Post by enn.in.me »

Condition - treed HP: 8; AC: 13; Active Spells: Mage Armor, Minor Illusion (dogs braying)

Using my readied action (I hope), I will take my first shot. Staying int he tree, I will then take a shot on the next round on my initiative. I will NOT cancel the illusion yet.

To hit (light crossbow): 12+2 = 14
Damage: 4 Piercing

Initiative: 1-1 = 0 (Lesser of (Dex (0)+Int (-1)+Wis(-1) = -1 and Level = 1) = -1)

To hit: 4+2 = 6

See PM re. Roller

Eulalios

#45 Post by Eulalios »

http://www.unseenservant.com/default.as ... amp&id=204 no worries though

I will post details later tonight or afternoon

enn.in.me
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#46 Post by enn.in.me »

Bracing against a tree, Ogier sets his spear to receive the charge of the pig.

For Initiative [1d20] = 14
Spear to hit [1d20+4] = 19+4 = 23
Seems like a two-handed operation Spear 2-handed damage [1d8] = 4 + strength bonus

Eulalios

#47 Post by Eulalios »

Boar Tusk attack on Ogier [1d20+3] = 19+3 = 22 :: 4 sls

The hulking boar initiative 19 suddenly springs forward, hooves churning the gently sloped grassy ground. You find it hard to keep aim on the moving beast, so that your first bolt Initiative 11 thunks home just above its shoulder Wound 4 and just after it closes with Ogier, who at the last moment had scrambled awkwardly -4 hp out of its path. Though he thrust his spear hard at the beast Initiative 14, it swerved -6 hp. Ogier finds his feet again, spear point toward the boar, which wheels toward him, blood oozing purple-red around the feathers that protrude from its shoulder ongoing CON save to avert hp loss / increasing wound severity.

Conditions
Arpad: reloading
Boar: -6 hp, Wound 4
Ogier: -4 hp

What do you do?

enn.in.me
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#48 Post by enn.in.me »

Condition - treed HP: 8; AC: 13; Active Spells: Mage Armor, Minor Illusion (dogs braying)

Ogier, angered by not getting out of the way, attempts to close for a killing thrust:
Ogier's Initiative [1d20] = 15
Spear to hit [1d20+4] = 13+4 = 17
Spear 2-handed damage [1d8] = 1 + strength bonus Piercing
Arpad, concerned (a little) about this oddly heroic man, brings a little magic to bear as he unleashes his next bolt at the pig Tides of Chaos – gain advantage on one attack roll per long rest, can cause Wild Magic upon subsequent use of 1st level or higher spell.
We must kill it quickly if it is to be good eating!
Initiative [1d20-1] = 7-1 = 6
Crossbow with advantage [2d20k1+2] = 19+2 = 21
Light Crossbow damage: [1d8] = 1
I'm a little confused about wounds and HP - Ogier rolled a 19+4 and did HP damage, while Arpad rolled 12+2 and did wound damage. Based on House Rules, I would would have expected neither to do Wound damage, or, if anybody did, Ogier. Or did Ogier take out all the HP and so the subsequent bolt did wound damage? Also - it appears Ogier has +2 dam due to strength? If so I'll make his macro to match. Finally - PHB says reloading only means that no more than one shot per action can be made, so I presume there is no problem with Arpad shooting in this round. If there is, I would have cast a spell instead.

Eulalios

#49 Post by Eulalios »

Re the wound to the boar, I'm having missile weapons be deadlier at short any ranges (i.e., if you hit, you wound) and harder to hit outside of short range. For now its to your advantage, just keep this in mind for later... I have updated the house rules thread to explain.

Re my post facto initiative scheme, I mean to just take the same d20 rolled for an attack or whatever and modify. Thus those with good rolls most likely get to execute their actions, those with poorer rolls may get bumped. The boar last round should have acted -after- Ogier, I forgot its penalties for int and wis and also got confused by your separate roll for Ogier's initiative.

All this been said,

Boar Tusk [1d20-1] = 7-1 = 6 :: 4 sls; CON save [1d20-3] = 10-3 = 7

Arpad initiative 18 based on crossbow roll wounds the boar again Wound 1, in its ham. This slows the beast enough that Ogier initiative 13 based on spear attack roll can close and make a spear thrust, which the boar ducks (-1 hp) more by awkwardness than purpose. The boar initiative -2 based on attack roll attempts to gut Ogier, but is slowed by its wound from last round. Dark blood continues to ooze from its left shoulder.

The boar no longer seems interested in fighting. It moves with heavy and painful caution, grunting. From the shadow under the bluff you hear the sow and piglets crying to their big piggy. "I think we end it now!" shouts Ogier.

Conditions
Arpad treed, down two bolts, invoked the Tides of Chaos and at risk of Wild Magic; hounds still baying?
Ogier -4 hp
Boar -11 hp, Wound 5, Wound 1

enn.in.me
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#50 Post by enn.in.me »

Condition - treed HP: 8; AC: 13; Active Spells: Mage Armor

Arpad turns off dog noises

Ogier stabs at the beast (brutally, it turns out): Spear to hit [1d20+4] = 20+4 = 24
Spear damage [1d8+2] = 3+2 = 5

"Good show Ogier. You are skilled with the spear."
Arpad clambers down from the tree and gives his horse a small treat for bravery and good spirit. Initiative [1d20-1] = 20-1 = 19

After the combat is over, Arpad plans to examine the boar for any signs that it has been cursed or otherwise magically induced to charge down a hill and attack the locals. Arcana Check [1d20-1] = 11-1 = 10 Simultaneously, he attempts to recover his bolts (5e rules allow for 50% recovery, not sure if you have house rules on this.)

So this is correct - no initiative check because you will modify Ogier's to hit roll to use as initiative, but rolled one for Arpad in lieu of an attack or other action roll?

Eulalios

#51 Post by Eulalios »

Tides of Chaos ... do they surge? [1d20] = 18 nope

The boar gives a final horrible squeal and tumbles to its knees, then its belly. Its blood gushes in pulses from the hole that Ogier's spear thrust initiative 20! has made in its neck. Arpad initiative 19 - correct starts clambering down the tree!

As Arpad is about to drop to the ground, with a horrid shriek of fury and loss, the mama sow charges out from under the bluff.
The Sow: Tusk Charge [1d20+3] = 14+3 = 17 4(+3) sls

Conditions
Arpad: clinging to tree trunk, unarmed, Mage Armor
Boar: dead
Sow: raging
Ogier: -4 hp

enn.in.me
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#52 Post by enn.in.me »

Arpad: clinging to tree trunk, unarmed, HP: 8; AC: 13; Mage Armor

Ogier recovers his breath and stumbles around to get behind the tree and hopefully out of the sow's way.
Initiative [1d20] = 6

Arpad unleashes Chill Touch despite the name, this appears to be a ranged attackat the sow:
Chill Hand to hit [1d20+4] = 18+4 = 22
Chill Hand Necrotic damage (can't recover until start of next turn) [1d8] = 7

DM's choice whether I roll on Wild Magic and Recover Tides of Chaos or not

Eulalios

#53 Post by Eulalios »

your high initiative {17 vs the sow's 14} means I have to retcon some stuff ...

Before the sow can reach Ogier, you invoke a dread aspect of your wild magic. Ogier, having withdrawn his spear from the skewered boar, flinches as you outstretch aside him your suddenly over-long and shadowy arm. The sow squeals in anguish as your touch chills her vitals Wound 7; drops initiative to 7, and shies from her attack on Ogier to lurch away from you, back into hiding.

Ogier stares at you open-mouthed. "Your hand is wrong," he says. "Your hand is wrong."

The hand you stretched to chill the sow now wavers to your eyes, like smoke the color of skin. You feel a coolth from it and feel a need to hold it away from yourself.

Wild Magic surged <- check

Conditions
Cool Hand Arpad: Mage Armor, free-standing
Sow: in retreat, Wound 7
Ogier: -4 hp, freaked out

enn.in.me
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#54 Post by enn.in.me »

Yes Ogier, I seemed to have wounded it in the tree. But it not so bad as all that. Perhaps you have suffered a shock from being gored. You must try to relax - let me see if I can tend to the wound. There is nothing serious with my hand. Depending on his reactions, I will continue dialogue that is trying to convince him that he was seeing things because he was in shock, and distract him with offers to bandage the wound. Take your pick: Persuasion [1d20+4] = 15+4 = 19 and Performance [1d20+2] = 5+2 = 7

Eulalios

#55 Post by Eulalios »

Adjudicating your Persuasion DC on this basis...

"Uh ... huh. OK then," says Ogier. He examines himself. "I seem to be fine. You got hurt more in the tree! I just shooken up, I be peace again soon."

(I take HP dmg to be diminished effectiveness due to increased cortisol and fatigue. Wounds are the things that bleed and need treatment. He has none of those.

"Huh. What we do with dead big pig? I to not want it carry."

The sow and piglets are lamenting under the bluff. The sow sounds sick, like there's a cold in her chest.

enn.in.me
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#56 Post by enn.in.me »

"Well, we have two choices, I guess. We can donate it to these villagers, or we can make a litter and drag it behind the horses. Since we are to continue our review of the crops, perhaps we should leave it for these people, and carry on. Do they look like pig-eaters?"

Eulalios

#57 Post by Eulalios »

Ogier shrugs. "Sure, I guess. We have rope on your horse? We hang up the pig from tree branch here, he drip out blood. They come and get when dry. Morning, morning maybe next."

The sow and piglets continue to make sobbing grunts. Ogier jerks his head backward at them, long blond hair scrunching on his mailed shoulder. "They still be a problem to crops. Ready?"

Your horse is rubbing its neck against the oak tree trunk.

Conditions
Arpad
Cool Handed (fading / thickening): casting hand appears like flesh-colored smoke, and feels cold. Warmth and appearance of solidity seem to improve with time.
Mage Armor.
Ogier
-4 hp. Can regain 1 HD after short rest.

enn.in.me
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#58 Post by enn.in.me »

Can't imagine the piglets will be much harm, but sure, let's string up the boar and then find the sow. Reload and ready crossbow.

Eulalios

#59 Post by Eulalios »

Getting the boar up requires the aid of your horse, who again displays the calm with which he's carried you across the south of Europe.

Ogier handily guts it, once it's hung. Entrails etc. all over the ground. Your horse sniffs with interest, then goes to stand upwind at the far side of the tree.

About an hour has passed. The sun is standing past mid-afternoon.

and then ...

enn.in.me
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#60 Post by enn.in.me »

I guess we follow the long bloody trail to find the sow. Carefully. Perhaps even stealthily. Stealth [1d20] = 15

Return to “Eulalios' Iberian Campaign”