Adventure start: The lords manor

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

Adventure start: The lords manor

#1 Post by ToniXX »

Since the last moon, you have been working as guards for a large merchant caravan. Having reached Specularum, and thus the end of the line, your services are no longer needed. You have been floundering in the bustling port town for nearly a week, looking for something interesting to do, when you are approached by a young squire. He informs you that Lord Bârânul, cousin to King Stefan, and head of the city council of Specularum, has requested your presence at a dinner at his estate that evening. Given that you have neither current work nor any prospects, you figure there’s nothing to lose.

Upon arriving at the Lord’s manor, you discover that you are the guests of honor. You are seated to a magnificent feast, which you and the lord, along with a few of his personal guards, eat while making small talk. As the dinner winds down, the lord whispers to a guard on his right, who then produces a scroll case and hands it to the lord. He opens it and lays two pieces of parchment on the table before you.

I want to find this ‘black pearl’ that captain Rory speaks about in his ships log. This is the last entry from the log, as the captain seems to have disappeared. My birds have been watching you, and you seem just the right mix of adventurers to take on this task. Any other treasure you find is yours to keep, but return the pearl to me and I will pay a handsome reward. I have arranged passage for you, if you accept the task, on the fastest ship in the region. She is complete with a crew, and is heading in the direction of the island. She shoves off tomorrow evening.

Lord Bârânul sits back in his chair, waiting for a reply.

FronkyDondo
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Re: Adventure start: The lords manor

#2 Post by FronkyDondo »

Elrohir, Elf
"I for one am thrilled at the prospect of sailing the seas to a mostly uncharted island and searching the unknown! Explore a savage, primitive, dangerous island, and possibly find a long lost civilization? I am IN, good sir!"
The worms crawl in,
the worms crawl out,
the worms play pinochle on your snout

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Elrohir, 3rd level Elf, X1: The Isle of Dread
Coppish Freunt, Elven Fighter/Thief, Pantheons, Cabals and Divulgence
Gwydion Glyndawr, Wood Elf Ranger, Pantheons, Cabals and Divulgence
DM: The Haunted Mines of Gomor, AD&D 1st Ed.

Marcel
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#3 Post by Marcel »

Hearing Elrohir speak, the Halfling Cmo snaps out of his Dream-like stare. The thought of a long sea voyage to a mysterious island filled with treasure is an adventurers true calling. "What say ye lads?" Cmo suggests with a smile as he looks down the faces of Krank, Harick, Beya, Styrk and Lenore......As he waits for an all reply, Cmo grabs another pheasant leg from the feast spread and begins eating. "Black Pearl, nice haul".

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by AleBelly »

"I doubt the riches on the Isle will be any more than a drop in the bucket compared to the riches of the Fjell house" sniffs Styrk. "But any adventure would be superior to dying of boredom in this so-called town of Specularum."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#5 Post by OGRE MAGE »

KranK the Dwarf continues to stuff his face as the talking continues. Manners were never his strong point. When the Lord Baranul speaks of treasure that will be theirs to keep except for some little black trinket, KranK clears his throat and speaks.

Consider me in on this adventure lads. I'm not much of a sailor, but I cannot pass up an opportunity such as this. And who knows, I might even find a suitable place for my clan to populate on this "dreaded isle".

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#6 Post by dmw71 »

Apparently the idea of a mysterious island filled with treasure agrees with Lenore. "In," she replies, simply but firmly.

While her curt response isn't evidence to the fact, the normally sullen warrioress has begun to show signs of warming up to the rest of the group. She consumes her meal in much the same fashion as KranK, remaining mostly to herself, but does pay close attention to the conversations taking place around her.
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by max_vale »

Beya is enjoying the celebratory feast a good deal; though she does her best not to watch KranK or even Lenore eating too closely; lest she ruin her appetite. As for the possibility of adventuring on the high seas; her eyes light up; "I'm from a sailing family and haven't been back on the waves in FAR too long. Also; the chance to explore a mysterious island is too good to pass up; I'm in!"; she says with a happy smile.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#9 Post by OGRE MAGE »

KranK gives Lenore a bit of a smile as he sees they share the same table manners. He nods his head at her and thinks to himself How did that waif even survive in life this long me wonders? She must be a spunky little thing? Good one to have on our side!

He then Burps loudly in Beya's general direction and starts to laugh.

barna10
Tracker
Tracker

#10 Post by barna10 »

sorry, I'll fill this post in the morning

Harick, Cleric

Harick watches his traveling companions as they devour the wealthy man's food and their excitement grows over the prospect of adventure and riches. "I too will join in this quest. My hammer stands ready to aid the group, and I'll prepare some special blessings for our voyage."

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by max_vale »

Beya 'the Blade'; Mage

Beya rolls her eyes at the Dwarf's belch; but can't help but grin a bit at his smile and just shakes her head and was about to say 'Men'; but then she noticed Lenore's 'manners' and thought better of it.

Smiling at the Cleric; she says in a bit of a teasing tone; "Have you been sailing before Brother Harick? If you haven't, you may want to remember some prayers for keeping your food down when the waves get choppy"; she says with a smile. Despite her teasing; she had a happy gleam in her eyes; she enjoyed the company of her fellow adventurers a great deal.

barna10
Tracker
Tracker

#12 Post by barna10 »

I'm built of some tough stuff, madam Mage. It will take more than some ripples in a big puddle to unsettle me!

FronkyDondo
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#13 Post by FronkyDondo »

Elrohir, Eldritch Warrior
"What say we leave on the morrow, good folk? I for one have rested enow since our latest endeavor. Let us away on the foamy brine of Seas of Mystery! Aroint thee!"
The worms crawl in,
the worms crawl out,

barna10
Tracker
Tracker

#14 Post by barna10 »

Harick, Cleric

Harick adjusts his large frame in his seat before addressing the slim elf, Elrohir. "Aye, elf. A dawn cast-off sounds right. I am off to my chambers. G'night all!"

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by AleBelly »

Styrk pushes his imposing figure from the table, stands, and bows to his host. "Thank you, Lord Baranul. I suspect this will be the best meal I will have for some time. I will not let you down." With that, he strides purposefully from the room.

Marcel
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#16 Post by Marcel »

"I can't wait to meet the Captain, he's probably a brave man," Cmo mumbles. "I hope his ship is worthy. Ships that sail in deep waters should be stronger". [Looks around as if people are listening]

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#17 Post by OGRE MAGE »

KranK looks over at Cmo........... and continues eating.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#18 Post by dmw71 »

Lenore, Fighter
Lenore disregards the awkward stares she receives as a result of her uncouth table manners -- she's grown accustomed to those -- but the grin and nod from the dwarf was unexpected and catches her off guard. She'll return a slight nod back at KranK before resuming her meal, determined to keep up with her bearded traveling companion. "All the more to potentially lose," she says nonchalantly between mouthfuls, admitting she's unsure how her stomach will hold up on the potentially rocky seas.
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#19 Post by ToniXX »

Lord Bârânul chuckles at the party's banter. He clasps his hands together and says Your enthusiasm is inspiring, and I'm pleased that you are all willing to accept the mission. Unfortunately, you cannot stay here tonight, but I have arranged board at The Gypsy's Chain, a reputable inn and tavern by the docks. It's not the nicest place to spend the night, but it's better than on the streets.

On the morrow, head to the docks and find the bosoun of the Windcaster, a burly man named Goder. He speaks with an easterly accent, and can be a little gruff. The Windcaster is the fastest boat on these waters. Tell him Lord Bârânul sent you. The boat will be leaving just before sunset tomorrow.
"Sir, our research shows that the bird is equal to or greater than the word."

FronkyDondo
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#20 Post by FronkyDondo »

Elrohir:
Zzzzzzzz...
The worms crawl in,
the worms crawl out,

Return to “X1 - The Isle of Dread (B/X)”