A Fancy Flight

Dizlexus
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

A Fancy Flight

#1 Post by Dizlexus »

The Philosophers Fly

Arkady shows his new friends around the flying device. Arkady knows how to keep the gasifier stoked and full of Ankeg poo. He helped Dedalus with the tethered test flight. He lays out pelletized Ankeg poo, clears the flu, and makes sure the gas flows to the now billowing balloon.

Dedalus
shows Svent that the device is rather simple, at least, in the Gnome's opinion. You see Svent, heat on poop makes this gu, gu, gas. The gas is bu, bu, bu buoyant and if trapped in the balloons, it lifts the vessel.

He continues, I had the idea after the night sky was filled with those iron dragons like a few nights ago. The air ship came to me in a dream after I saw several of those.
Dedalus' reference if familiar from night 9 -- when the strangeness occurred.
Milli loads the wagon and one horse for every person -- including one for herself -- should escape ever become an issue.

Freki
finds a spot under a gang-box and curls up for an early evening nap.

Dedalus climbs atop a high deck and addresses the entire party. A glint of emotion enters his voice and his speech impediment disappears,
Gentlemen! May I have your attention. He continues, I have calculated that you will be in the air for approximately 3 hours. You must decide whether you leave tonight. If you do you will land at or around sunset -- as many as 220 miles away. You could chose to fly in the darkness. You will not see where you land or know where you are, should that be the case. Or you could fly in the morning.

Arkady will take it from here. I'll go drive that wagon of gear and the horses to the rebel camp. May the gods bless you all and may those rumors be true about the Fortress of Wo and a device to save our Queen. I hope you choose to leave now, as I wish to see her fly. But my time is precious, and so too are the weapons and armor I am to deliver. I must get moving -- for the cause.

Should fate bring you to Olens, take heart. Ask for the captain of the guard, a man named "Hal". Tell him I sent you.

His bit said, Dedalus collects things he forgot the 1st time he left his home. He packs saddle bags full of miscellaneous gadgets, spell components, and strange stuff the likes of which Gnomes sometimes collect. He stands bye long enough to see when the party chooses to fly -- then he will head back down the hill.

The spies sit atop horses smiling. They too are eager to see this thing fly. We have settled on Currus as our destination. Idolon says. Perhaps we meet again. If you wish, we will return your 3 prisoners to a commander in Currus, unless we meet one in the field. Unless, of course, you gentlemen wish to execute them.

ACTIONS!

The party must choose when to fly -- the ship is ready. ANd what to do with the 3 prisoners
All GMs are evil.
What foulness goads your laughter? (Pulpatoon, 03/26/14)

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

Re: A Fancy Flight

#2 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Garrett "I suggest we fly as soon as we can. Best to leave before trouble finds us again. Who knows if more of Merit's men are not on their way here to check on the prior group."

Svent "You bring up a good point Garrett. Let us take our flight when the ship is ready this night."
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Dizlexus
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#3 Post by Dizlexus »

I stuck in a bit about what to do with prisoners while you were not looking
All GMs are evil.

GreyWolfVT

#4 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Garrett acting as a spokesman for the party "Take the prisoners to Currus I'm sure they will do what is needed."
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#5 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Montego

I too agree that we should leave now! I think we still need to use as much stealth as possible until we reach our destination. We should fly under the cover of darkness. It shouldn't be that hard to figure out where we are when we land. He then looks to the spies and says Do what you will with the prisoners, they are no longer our concern.

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by shaidar »

Arkady will wish his friend a safe journey"Oghma's blessing on you old friend, until me meet again."

Arkady agrees that we should fly during the night, best to prevent spying eyes from seeing us.

MonkeyWrench
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by MonkeyWrench »

Calen checks over himself, making sure he has all of his things, "We should leave now, enough time has been wasted." at the mention of the prisoners he doesn't even bother to answer, not caring what happens to them at all.
Life is a roller coaster, if you don't stop to enjoy it then you may as well not even ride.

Dizlexus
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#8 Post by Dizlexus »

Dedalus

The Gnome quitely approaches Baruch after he has made preparations to leave.

Brother, he says, if you can bring forth the blessing of Guth upon the vessel, I trust it will go farther, and be all the more safe.

I'll wait to watch it fly.
All GMs are evil.

GreyWolfVT

#9 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Svent smiles and looks to Dedalus "You keep yourself safe Dedalus. The world needs someone with your ingenuity and genius."

Nordbo
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#10 Post by Nordbo »

Baruch agrees to Dedalus' idea, but: "For maximum at-one-with-the-universe effect, it would be better if I could bless all of us faithful travellers and this cosmic contraption at the same time! If we leave this earthly abode to enter the heavens we will all need spritual protection."

If this is somehow possible, 'The caster determines at what range (up to 6") he or she will cast the spell, and it then affects all creatures in an area 5" square centered on the point the spell was cast upon.' eg we all get in and Baruch then does a mega-bless-selfie on the vessel + everyone including himself, then that's his next move

"As for the prisoners...set them free. We can fly - they can't. We will be more free than they ever were. And Dedalus...you seem to be free of your stammering? It's....an omen!!!!"

Dizlexus
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#11 Post by Dizlexus »

Dedalus

Brother Baruch, your idea is spa, spa, splendid. He stammers, no longer emotional enough to escape the impediment.
Huddle up around the gu, ga, gasifier and ask for the blessing. That way the most ga, gu, good might be accomplished.

And so the party will huddle on deck around the gasifier while Baruch requests the blessing of Guth -- perhaps the 1st time Ankeg poop has ever been blessed in the history of fantasy gaming. . . .
All GMs are evil.

GreyWolfVT

#12 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Dizlexus wrote: And so the party will huddle on deck around the gasifier while Baruch requests the blessing of Guth -- perhaps the 1st time Ankeg poop has ever been blessed in the history of fantasy gaming. . . .
:lol:

Nordbo
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#13 Post by Nordbo »

After the blessing of Montego Python's Flying Circus, Baruch enters an even deeper spiritual state. He places his song bird on his head (where it begins a hypnotic prolonged tweet in a lower frequency rumble than you'd thought such a scraggly sparrow capable of), he holds up the symbols of Guth and St. Cuthbert to the skies, intones a spooky "Huuuuuammmmmm whazzz......huaaaammmmm kruzz" over and over, then flops, goes silent.

Then slowly lifts a face full of extatic glee. "Fellow fliers-to-be, fellow friends and fans of faith...I have just experienced an epiphany. All the powers that be have spoken to my soul and filled it with unbreakable confidence about this airship, its destiny and our mission. Be universally strong together - we can do it!! (Conditions apply)."

MonkeyWrench
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by MonkeyWrench »

Calen simply nods in agreement, not caring for any of the words that came before "we can do it"
Life is a roller coaster, if you don't stop to enjoy it then you may as well not even ride.

GreyWolfVT

#15 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Svent
Garrett

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#16 Post by OGRE MAGE »

And now for something completely different.........

Those last four posts were frickin hilarious!!!

Nordbo
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#17 Post by Nordbo »

For 35p I won't interrupt any of the next three posts
not an interruption.jpg
not an interruption.jpg (44.32 KiB) Viewed 2092 times

GreyWolfVT

#18 Post by GreyWolfVT »

out of nowhere pops Benny Hill.
Oh look the air ships captain.

Dizlexus
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#19 Post by Dizlexus »

Montego Python's Flying Circus?

After the blessing brought through Baruch, the gasifier oven begins to burn hot. The massive balloon begins to fill with gas more rapidly. It will take about an hour for the gas to fill the void. The timing will be perfect. Once the ship is ready the sun will be setting, and the party wishes to fly under the cover of darkness.

Baruch
has performed a strange ritual and has bolstered his own faith in the airship.

With the goods and live stock secured below deck, and good byes said, the party awaits on deck for Dedalus to cut the moorings.

The Gnomes yells, make ready. He recruits the spies and the captured soldiers to help him cut all the moorings simultaneously.

CHOP CHOP CHOP

The airship creaks, cracks and moans as it is eased into the atmosphere.

Dedalus, the spies and the soldiers cheer. Horah!

Party members look down and see the men and the buildings becoming smaller until they are only specks.
.Image
The ship will fly
d20+2 east
d12 north - d8 south
As the airship flies, Montego the ranger attempts to ascertain where the party is headed. To the east for sure. He thinks the north westerly wind is not having much of an effect on the flight -- if any.

Then darkness obscures the land and Montego can only guess. But, alas, about 2/3 into the voyage, far below and miles away, the ranger sees city lights. Montego is a local and he is sure the lights belong to Natans or Multa Via.

About 1/2 hour after Montego sees the lights, the gasifier begins to cool and the ship begins to descend into the darkness.

Arkady warns everyone to brace themselves for landing. Moments later, the airship meets the earth with an awful sound -- massive timbers snap, the earth shakes, the party members are jolted to their knees.

Milli runs below deck to look after the livestock and equipment. She quickly reemerges and announces that the ships hull has snapped in two. But the horses are ok.

Then the balloon begins to drape over the ship and the party members. The upper deck is uninhabitable, with the weight of the canvas pressing every one down.

The party must retreat below deck to egress.

The party struggles from under the canvas and enters the ship's hull. A breeze flows through the mighty hole.

Milli
says to Baruch and Svent, look! do you see something? She points outside. They do indeed see something with their infravision. A 4 legged creature, moving at a supernatural speed, has leaped onto the deck of the ship with a THUD. It sounds like it has taken a position over the hole in the hull. Another creature lurks 75 feet away, outside the ship.

Baruch and Svent have fought big cats, and while this looks and moves like the tiger they helped defeat, there is something very different. The head is not shaped the same. The movement is too fast.

Freik stands at Calen's side. She sniffs the air and growls a deep warning tone.

Garrettand Sanu are eager to light a lantern -- it is so dark down here.

ACTIONS!!!

The relevant portion of the ship's hull is about 40 X 20 with a big hole at one end.
The bow has snapped off.
The party does not know exactly where they are -- east of the city lights -- but how far? An immediate threat lurks outside and over the hole. The thump of the creature was loud and every one heard.

The flight took about 3 hours and it is about 11 PM in the game. Moon is a waxing crescent.

HIT POINTS
Baruch 23/23
Calen 21/26
Garrett 17/17
Sanu 15/20
Svent 8/8
Arkady 12/12
Montego 37/37
Milli 8/8
MAP
Freki 9/16
All GMs are evil.

GreyWolfVT

#20 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Still a long ass ways from where we need to be...... :roll:

Garrett gets his bow ready. "Svent could ya do me a favor and grab one of my torches from my pack and light it?"

Svent hopefully having plenty of time to relearn some spells in the flight. being half elf can see....what the other elf and half elf see. Does as Garrett asks of him takes out one of Garrett's torches and proceeds to light it. "Sure thing."

Return to “A People Divided (1e)”