How to Gauge a Persons RPG Addiction

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: How to Gauge a Persons RPG Addiction

#21 Post by onlyme »

dmw71 wrote:
onlyme wrote:I consider it a great thing for the site, though... lots of eager new blood over the past year.
Agreed. Just don't let anyone confuse quantity with quality.
Of course, that is why I do not compare my posts to Alethan... ;)
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#22 Post by Alethan »

onlyme wrote:
dmw71 wrote:
onlyme wrote:I consider it a great thing for the site, though... lots of eager new blood over the past year.
Agreed. Just don't let anyone confuse quantity with quality.
Of course, that is why I do not compare my posts to Alethan... ;)
hehe...

It is a rare person indeed that can handle both quantity AND quality at the same time.

I think at my peak my posting rate was something around 18 posts/day. Honestly, it was too much. Too hard to keep things straight and too hard to try and really give the proper attention to the games that they required. I didn't think I was being fair to the other players, so I backed down and stopped joining new games, even when some of the games I was in played out.

At this point, I'm in just a few fairly consistent games and a few not-so-consistent games and that seems like a good mix, especially since I'm in several games on two other forums still. I just checked and one game has almost 650 posts logged for me, and that doesn't even include the two years where the game was on a different forum that didn't log post counts!
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#23 Post by Keehnelf »

I think I could probably up my average post rate a bit, but I don't think I could do so by adding more games--a strong posting rate for only a few games, where everything's distinct and I've got some ideas flowing, is my sweet spot.

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#24 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Well one must also consider Alethan is also the one making a large number of the administrative or moderator posts such as the meet your DM stuff. So one cannot completely compare a average or regular player posting in games versus one that makes a lot of helpful postings as well.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#25 Post by Keehnelf »

What do you mean? All of my posts are helpful!

;)

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#26 Post by Alethan »

GreyWolfVT wrote:Well one must also consider Alethan is also the one making a large number of the administrative or moderator posts such as the meet your DM stuff. So one cannot completely compare a average or regular player posting in games versus one that makes a lot of helpful postings as well.

Yes. Yes, this is accurate. I am VERY busy with mod stuff. That's why I'm on the forum all the time.

Do not question this statement. *waves hand in a small arc*

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#27 Post by OGRE MAGE »

ToniXX wrote:To see who wins the post count, go to 'members' at the top right of any page.
Then, click on the column title 'posts'. It _should_ sort by posts (instead of join date). It will first sort with zeros at the top of the list. Click it again and it reverses the sort. GreyWolfVT is number 2, but he's got a ways to go before he eclipses Alethan. :)

I love these little tidbits you guys put on here.
As a complete moron on the computer, I don't like to go clicking around where I shouldn't be. But when you spell it out all nice and easy like that.......it ain't so scary.

It's also pretty funny reading about a bunch of geeks sitting around on their computers arguing about how many posts they make. :lol:

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#28 Post by dmw71 »

OGRE MAGE wrote:It's also pretty funny reading about a bunch of geeks sitting around on their computers arguing about how many posts they make.
Agreed. :lol:
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#29 Post by Keehnelf »

we've got to artificially inflate our post counts somehow...

GreyWolfVT

#30 Post by GreyWolfVT »

or our egos ;) :lol:
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#31 Post by Zhym »

Well, we could keep on posting in this thread...

(Zhym post count +1...)

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#32 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Zhym wrote:Well, we could keep on posting in this thread...

(Zhym post count +1...)

Haha!
That's the reason I replied!
(+2 now)

GreyWolfVT

#33 Post by GreyWolfVT »

:lol: I'm still making it less likely for you two to catch my post count

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#34 Post by Alethan »

Apologies for not posting this when I locked the thread.

Seemed like the thread was quickly going to turn into a post trolling thread. Obviously, the point of the forum is playing and running RPGs and having discussions that contribute to this.

More than happy to open the thread back up if you think having a higher post count improves your gaming.

Again, apologies for not stating a reason when I locked the thread.

Alethan

GreyWolfVT

#35 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Oh I by no means meant to turn this into a "spam" post boosting thread it was more or less as a "for laughs" intent. But I understand your concern Alethan.

bloodymage
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#36 Post by bloodymage »

I used to be a mod on these boards, specialized in banning spammers. Got old and confused, had to give it up. Gave up moderating on Dragonsfoot, my home. Was the only mod who could police Edition Wars effectively. Steve called me the "Rottweiler of Dragonsfoot." My glory days are past me now.

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#37 Post by Scott308 »

Do those of you who are in lots of games here or in other forums play any games in different formats? I know Ogre Mage plays in a face-to-face game regularly, and I see him at the conventions that are local to us. As for me, I play in a weekly Tuesday night game at one of my FLGSs, with the occasional Saturday game with one of a couple different groups here in town. Plus, I have a weekly Saturday game on Roll20.net. I also play some other stuff on Roll20 with the same DM. Anybody else on here that claims that hat trick- Face-to-face, online and forum?
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#38 Post by Keehnelf »

I've done 2 of the 3 consistently for some time, but I vastly prefer pbp (to which I'm a total newcomer) to roll20 or g+, and sometimes prefer it to my face to face group which is a bunch of jokers :)

bloodymage
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#39 Post by bloodymage »

I used to go to cons in California regularly. At one ConQuest, I was the only GM to party in the staff lounge because I was so rabid about running games. I made a cross-country trip in 2006 that I dubbed Con Quest 2006. Hit Origins, Gencon, GaryCon and several others. I've attended Gencon Anaheim (I don't like Gencons, Origins was much better). I've made GaryCon several times and NTRPGCon several time as well. I had a sanctioned HackMaster group for 3 years, "Contents Under Pressure." Had a group in Arizona. Life now has become exhausting, confusing and expensive.

I'm new in my circumstances and haven't had time to find a group, just trying to get moved in and survive. I'm a member of too many forums (favorites are DF, Troll Lords and KenzerCo, with a nod to Yog Sothoth) tried Roll20, but they nickel and dime you. I have an extensive library and I was the member manager/lead author for Polyhedron Games LLC, but being old and infirm taxes my fixed income as well as the expense of trying to recover what I've lost in the move and furnishing stuff I've long needed and trying to downsize. I've turned from brilliant to a fool. :oops:

MonkeyWrench
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#40 Post by MonkeyWrench »

I am in a ton of games here, I also play in two different campaigns face to face that switch off every Friday, we start at 7pm and usually go until 11:30pm. Antman9 actually the DM for one of them.

Aside from that I also run a campaign of Dragon Age face to face with two guys once a week, usually on Tuesday, though we do mix it up so that schedules match and all that jazz.

And then on top of that I have been kind of working on a Only War campaign, I may change it for a Dark Heresy campaign but I am still waiting for the core rules book to be special shipped to the fantasy shop near me.
Life is a roller coaster, if you don't stop to enjoy it then you may as well not even ride.

Return to “General RPG discussion”