2. Into the dark

mb.
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

2. Into the dark

#1 Post by mb. »

Although the torch is likely to alert anyone in the cave that you're coming, it's clear as soon as you try to enter that blundering into the cave in complete darkness is a very dangerous idea.

The cave is a wide crack at the bottom of the cliff, about twice your height, and at least 300 feet wide, although you can't see the other side in the dark. Most of the floor of the opening is underwater where the small lake around the ancient sentry flows swiftly into it, but at the very edge is a path, obviously carved from the stone of the cave, which is wide enough for two men to pass abreast. The path is well made and smooth, with mortared stones at the edge and occasional pairs of steps, and not far from the cave mouth the stone of the walls have obviously been worked and reenforced by occasional pillars of large square stones.

Who's going first? Two will fit comfortably, so maybe the better question is "who's in the back?"

As you descend through the extremely wide, straight tunnel, you are blasted with both the sound and spray of the waterfall that must be not too far ahead of you. You unavoidably slip on the slick stone floor, but by moving with care you manage to not fall. What with the spray in the air and the constant dripping from the stone ceiling, you're all quickly soaked through and quite chilly, and Boggs' torch sputters and hisses constantly. The tunnel eventually narrows, and the opposite wall comes into view.

After a few minutes the end of the tunnel becomes visible ahead, where the water falls into blackness. You also think you can see a narrow, dark entry on the wall across the water.

What do you do?

KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: 2. Into the dark

#2 Post by KingOfCowards »

Boggs will take the lead. I will allow the others to fall in line where they might. Is there a ledge to follow to the narrow entry, and if so how wide?

mb.
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#3 Post by mb. »

A little clarification:

– if you continue straight on the path you're on you'll come to a large dark opening where the water flows into blackness.
– to your left is the wall of the large tunnel you're in.
– to your right and a bit below the edge of the path is the swiftly flowing water.
across the water (about 20 feet) is the other side of the tunnel, and another path like the one you're on, with a narrow, dark opening in the wall.

mb.
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#4 Post by mb. »

Also for clarification: I'm assuming you're all in danger-ready pose, i.e. Boggs is holding torch and drawn shortsword, Bedwyr has his sword drawn and probably one hand free and Oelle has a hand on his staff and one hand free. If you're doing anything different than this, let me know.

Also, to save asking over and over, can we assume that this is your default pose while delving into these dangerous caves, unless otherwise stated?

KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#5 Post by KingOfCowards »

mb. wrote:A little clarification:

– if you continue straight on the path you're on you'll come to a large dark opening where the water flows into blackness.
– to your left is the wall of the large tunnel you're in.
– to your right and a bit below the edge of the path is the swiftly flowing water.
across the water (about 20 feet) is the other side of the tunnel, and another path like the one you're on, with a narrow, dark opening in the wall.
Understood, I can now picture the room much better. I'd say we need a way across the 20 foot span of swiftly flowing water. It seems like too much to walk through, but I guess that depends on how deep it is. I wonder how the gnolls cross?

mb.
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#6 Post by mb. »

Hrm, seems like I really need to practice my descriptions. ;) There are two obvious possible ways to go: onwards, and see what's beyond the end of the tunnel, or somehow cross the water and explore the narrow opening. The easiest of the two at first glance is onwards.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by Pulpatoon »

Oelle hangs back a bit, assuming that Bedwyr with his sword and elf-eyes will want to take the lead. He whispers, "Shall we carry on forward, then?"

KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#8 Post by KingOfCowards »

mb. wrote:Hrm, seems like I really need to practice my descriptions. ;) There are two obvious possible ways to go: onwards, and see what's beyond the end of the tunnel, or somehow cross the water and explore the narrow opening. The easiest of the two at first glance is onwards.
Probably not your fault. I was thinking that going forward was an opening downward where the water flowed into blackness. I guess we can explore straight ahead first.

Spartakos
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#9 Post by Spartakos »

Bedwyr will be in the middle, ready to assist in either direction. "Keep a watch to our back, doctor...if you see anything creeping up to bite us in the arse, sing out and then flatten against the wall so I have room to bring my lovely lass into play." He gestures with his sword for emphasis.

Bedwyr is fine with exploring straight ahead for the moment. But if we want to cross, I have adventuring gear...I'm sure I can produce a rope or somesuch; we could at least test the water's depth. You want I should try that?

mb.
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#10 Post by mb. »

Continuing along the path beside the water, the roar of the waterfall reaches its peak as the tunnel ends, opening up into a large cylindrical chamber. There's no floor or ceiling; the river rushes past you on the right, falling into absolute darkness, and the walls of the chamber rise roughly 30 feet above you, ending in a ring of bushes around a circle of night sky with the thin crescent moon in the middle.

As he looks around, Boggs see a fist extend out of a shadowy window in the wall across the large chamber, above and to your right. The fist is pointed in your direction, holding what looks like a curved stick vertically.

What do you do?

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by Pulpatoon »

Can I attempt to counter a spell?

mb.
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#12 Post by mb. »

Boggs is at the front, and considering the complete darkness other than a bright torch burning in front of you, for now Boggs is the only one who's seen it. After he reacts, let's see what happens.

mb.
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#13 Post by mb. »

There's been a flurry of posts, mostly just getting our new player set up, but I had an idea. Before anything else, please let me know what you think of this.

KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#14 Post by KingOfCowards »

Boggs hisses to the others, "Spread out. Someone with some type of rod up ahead."
With just a few quick words he tosses his torch ahead of him and rolls to the left towards the cavern wall.
Last edited by KingOfCowards on Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by Pulpatoon »

Oelle shuffles backwards, puts the cave wall to his back, and crouches down, all while trying to spot the wand Boggs mentioned. He will attempt to disrupt whatever magic might be coming.

mb.
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#16 Post by mb. »

Boggs
Damn, the light's really poor around here. Judging by the arrow streaking across the chamber at you, it looks like that curved stick was actually a bow. You're forced to roll towards the wall before you can finish your sentence. Please roll+DEX to Defy Danger. And considering what's in front of you is a floorless room, essentially a huge pit, into which the waterfall is falling, let's say you just drop the torch, ok?

Bedwyr
Boggs says "Spread out. Someone with..." and suddenly drops the torch and dodges to the left against the wall. Note: you still haven't seen the hand, the bow or the arrow yet. What do you do?

Oelle
What are you doing to disrupt magic?

mb.
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#17 Post by mb. »

Oelle, I'll be nice. You start to cast Spell Defense, and then notice you can't feel the tell-tale tickle of spell casting nearby...

KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#18 Post by KingOfCowards »

Defy Danger: [2d6+2] = 12+2 = 14

What I lack in object identification and room navigation, at least I make up for with the dice.

Boggs rolls out of the way as an arrow flies by. "ARCHER!"
When he finds his feet, he is perilously close to the ledge, but luckily catches his balance, and tries to find his way back to the wall and solid footing.

Spartakos
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#19 Post by Spartakos »

Question; how is Bedwyr's vision without the torch? We're not pitch black, if the cylindrical room is open to the sky...do elves actually have any special night vision in Dungeon World? I honestly can't tell from the book.

When he sees Boggs ditch the torch and dodge, Bedwyr hisses, "Back, wizard! Unless you want to catch an arrow." He suits actions to words, trying to backpedal into the tunnel, away from where he assumes the archer is. As he goes, he tries to sheathe his sword and unsling his bow.

"Boggs!" he says in a harsh whisper. "Get back and let me get a clear shot!

mb.
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#20 Post by mb. »

C'mon Boggs! With a roll of 14, you are a vision of grace & poise: you turn to the side, letting the arrow pass by close enough to stir your hair, you reach back to nudge Bedwyr just far enough that the arrow barely passes him too, and you step back into a small natural alcove in the wall, removing you from the archer's line of vision. What next?

Bedwyr, Boggs nudges you aside and the arrow slices very slightly through the cloth on your thigh, but not your thigh. The way is clear to shoot if you want to. If so, describe & roll+DEX for Volley (and on a 7+, go ahead and deal your damage too).

Oelle, the arrow clatters into the ground at your feet, skidding along the path behind you. You turn your head enough to notice two dark figures standing across the river near the narrow tunnel behind you. They also appear to have bows and are pointing them at you! What do you do?

And as for elf sight, I've always disliked "infravision", but how about "due to elves' deep connection to the moon, they can see anything in even the slightest moonlight clearly, but shadows are as dark as they are for anyone else."

Return to “The Balance Shifts... (Dungeon World)”