IC XIV

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: IC XIV

#321 Post by thirdkingdom »

Rhys hides the party's trail as best as he is able, trying the disguise the tracks of more than a score of people and half as many mounts. Either he possesses greater skill in misdirection than expected, or orcs are simply crap trackers, for the watchful party is not disturbed during the night.

Klarmont 11, AC 1000
7:00 am
In the Woods North of Threshold

The adventurers wake in the morning, refreshed if a bit on edge.
Everyone regains 1 hp due to natural healing, and can rememorize spells if needed. Koren, Quint had the opportunity to study a new spell for two hours. Let me know if you want to take advantage of this, and if so, which spell.

Wyzard
Ranger
Ranger

#322 Post by Wyzard »

Severi recommends putting a spell of Invisibility on Rhys, and letting him act as a forward scout in an attempt to strike down a few more goblinoids.

"We do need a long-term plan, however. I begin to suspect that taking the boats and meeting up with what resistance could be available within the town is our best bet for making a real difference."
Do we get XP from the diamonds if we get into the town? It seems like someone might level, and we need all the help we can get at this point.

Atlictoatl
Ranger
Ranger

#324 Post by Atlictoatl »

Wyzard wrote:

"We do need a long-term plan, however. I begin to suspect that taking the boats and meeting up with what resistance could be available within the town is our best bet for making a real difference."
Tev Meren, Fighter

"Vanco here said a thing about the orcs being afraid of something in the water. Do you know anything more about that, priest?"

Koren n'Rhys
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#325 Post by Koren n'Rhys »

Quint Kacie
"Yes, I caught that too. Can you elaborate at all, Vanco?

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#326 Post by thirdkingdom »

Farmhand

"I speak a bit of orc, sirs, and heard the heating about this monster -- or monsters; orcish isn't very clear on plurals -- that the general brought in. Some kind of troll, by the sound of it. Bunch of the fisher folk tried to escape by boat, got torn apart by this thing. Sounded like the orcs were wagering on which boat got the farthest."

Wyzard
Ranger
Ranger

#327 Post by Wyzard »

"I knew there had to be a catch."

phil285
Tracker
Tracker

#329 Post by phil285 »

Vanco Basou, cleric
"It is worrying that something tore people from a boat. Maybe we will need to see if we can trap or confuse whatever the beast is."
In terms of the next steps: I'm content to defer to the others. Did everyone want to get back to a (non-besieged) town?

(I'm nearly done for the night. Early out again tomorrow.)

Wyzard
Ranger
Ranger

#330 Post by Wyzard »

"If it's an aquatic troll, I think our best bet is to give it a wide berth." Severi sits and thinks for a while. "We can keep harassing the orcs up here, or else we can move on, or else we can head upriver, try to ford it somewhere, and advance down the other bank. That latter is risky, and it's only worth it if we intend to make a break for the city."

"My inclination is to scout a bit, see what the response to our escapades of yesterday might be, and whittle off a few more if we can."

Atlictoatl
Ranger
Ranger

#331 Post by Atlictoatl »

Tev Meren, Fighter

"I agree with that plan, Severi. Let's whittle away at them."

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#332 Post by Alethan »

Rhys agrees with this plan as well.
What hex are we currently in at the moment?
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

MonsterMash
Ranger
Ranger

#333 Post by MonsterMash »

Thurgan, dwarf

"Aye, stay here and keep killing orcs".

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#334 Post by thirdkingdom »

Alethan wrote:Rhys agrees with this plan as well.
What hex are we currently in at the moment?
52.20 on the big map, in the Maps thread.

Koren n'Rhys
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#335 Post by Koren n'Rhys »

Quint Kacie, Scholar-Mage
"We were fairly effective with both the orcs and goblins we faced, so our tactics so far seem sound enough. A troll would be a risky proposition indeed, so the boats do seem to be too risky, for now anyway. I'll support Severi's plan as well. Even if we make the trek to Verge or Highforge, there is no guarantee of assistance at either place."

Wyzard
Ranger
Ranger

#336 Post by Wyzard »

Severi casts Invisibility on Rhys, in order to assist him in ensuring the party is not ambushed. "After one more foray, we should go to Verge to see if we can hire men at arms."

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#337 Post by Alethan »

(invisible) Rhys the Traveler

Once Rhys is made invisible once more, he quickly heads off, scouting the land between them and Threshold to try and determine what all is still out there and where they might best strike the enemy.

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#338 Post by thirdkingdom »

I'm just going to post what Rhys sees here. Al, let me know if there's anything else you'd like Rhys to do.
Rhys takes off towards Threshold. About a mile from the causeway, the mystic is alerted by faint sounds from the undergrowth; over a score of goblins are crouched in the brush on either side of the road, armed and watching the road with ill-intent. As with the other goblins, many have the shriveled heads of their enemies dangling from their belts. One goblin bears a standard, festooned with at least a dozen grisly trophies.

At the causeway, two orc heads, freshly taken, are on spears in the middle of the village. He counts 17 orcs with the blood-stained mouths; an additional dozen or so orcs stride amongst them with the air of conquerors. These new orcs have cascades of ravens feathers woven into their matted hair. It appears as if the orcs stationed here have undergone a change in management.

On the other side of the river, the besieging armies have consolidated somewhat; large groups have massed before the gates of Threshold and the Keep. Savage drumbeats and the shrill call of horns assail Rhys's ears.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#339 Post by Alethan »

(Invisible) Rhys the Traveler

Rhys returns to the camp and alerts the others of what he's found.

Wyzard
Ranger
Ranger

#340 Post by Wyzard »

I think what we should do is:

1. We take all the villagers that will go, but we only expect the ones with shortbows to engage in combat. The others stay well back and just guard our backs.

2. We approach the goblins by stealth, from behind PCs only. Rhys could go across the road from them, and start yodeling from behind a tree. That might distract them. We use NO MORE than two sleep spells in this attack.

3. Depending on whether we come out of that fight largely intact, we go try to take the causeway, or burn it.

Return to “In Search of Adventure”