OOC / Questions? Pt.2

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: OOC / Questions? Pt.2

#41 Post by SocraticLawyer »

Argennian wrote:Status: Hoping for a Declared Action post from SocraticLawyer for Ulrich here but know he's been super-slammed with work and things. Planning on moving us forward by this evening/early am tomorrow either way.

Thanks,

Mitch
Apologies again! :o I'll try to post something at lunch today....
How do we know you're not a donkey-brained man?

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Wait a minute... what round is it?

#42 Post by Argennian »

I was working on the next action post & realized I need to make a clarification from the last one. I had initially considered that as Round 1 and then asked for DAs/attacks for Round 2. Since going back and rereading it, that really doesn't seem correct.

The normal giant rats attacked and were dealt with by the party in Round 1. Then melee was broken when Emm cast her spell near the end of Round 1, which immediately stopped their attack. But her then getting the rats to adhere to her magical command and subsequently flee would have taken effect in the next round (Rd 2). Only then did the party see the 6 undead giant rats, which had been behind the original vanguard that got shrelped, so were not initially noticed. That makes it the group initiative roll and subsequent DAs/attacks for Round 3.

Not that that really changes anything as far as everyone's DAs go, but that does advance Emm & Lauranna further along, and gives Bogdan his extra specialized longsword attack on odd rounds!

Al: please make another attack roll for Bogdan!

I'll go back and edit that post to clarify and get the next post up later when able.
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)
Brok Sterling: Human Assassin3 (ToniXX's Incursion into Newiron OSRIC Playtest)
Tanik Tremwoodak: Dwarf Cleric3 (Dave's 1e Skype Game)

DM: home-brew OSRIC "A New Hope to the West" campaign

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

OOC for Ulrich & held attacks for Rd 3/DAs for Rd 4

#43 Post by Argennian »

SocraticLawyer wrote:OOC: Does Ulrich need to maintain his concentration on turning, or can he take an action this round?
No, he does not have to actively concentrate on the undead once he makes a successful turn on them. The giant undead rats are considered turned and as long as he keeps himself and his holy symbol visible to them, and no one moves within striking range, impedes their progress or attacks them, they will remain turned. So yes, Ulrich can still commit to other actions, such as speaking in character, casting a spell, making a melee attack or another turn attempt, etc.

Now the details in the action post about these undead being animated and compelled to attack is important to note, because normally once turned, mindless undead would have fled at best possible speed and departed as far away from the cleric as they physically could for the normal 3d4 (3-12) rounds duration. But these giant undead rats are not fleeing, but merely falling back away to give the cleric & party room to do what they will and not impede them. That being said, it's important to note that an evil cleric or individual, entity, whatever, with access to item or magic that animated them could possible again force them forward once the duration of the turn has expired! :geek:

An interesting point of note here is that in 1e, it is very clear that undead do not stay turned once they are approached closely or attacked:

1eDMG,p65 wrote:... hostile acts against the undead or associated creatures will certainly cause the cleric's effects to be totally broken and negated entirely. Hostile acts include entry into on area which the affected creatures have been commanded to guard, attempts to remove guarded items or treasure belonging to the affected creatures, attempts to prevent the affected creatures from carrying out commands. or actual attack by spell, weapon, or other forms which cause the affected creatures harm. ...

But this appears to not be the clear case in OSRIC, or rather is not mentioned specifically. Although this is the way I've always played it from AD&D, it seems that OSRIC gives the DM more latitude to decide what or how he/she wants to play it.

Held Attacks: Round 3/DAs & attacks for Round 4:
dmw71 wrote:Caelvanna waits on forecastle deck for an available target, but will hold her fire until such a time presents itself.
The giant undead rats will have fallen back enough from Bogdan and the others on the beach to present clear, unengaged targets for missileers on the ship at the end of Round 3. They will also begin Round 4 unengaged. So in Caelvanna's case/DA above, she could get 1 arrow off at the end of Round 3 and then her normal 3 arrows for Round 4. Just so we're clear, once a particular undead is attacked, it will become un-turned and act as compelled to previously.

POP: if someone does attack the giant undead rats and therefore "breaks" or negates the turn, Ulrich could indeed make another turn attempt against them. If he fails that subsequent roll, the attacked undead will be able to attack or do what it was compelled to do by it's animator. The other undead that were previously successfully turned and not attacked will remain turned for the DM-rolled 3d4 (3-12) minutes.
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#44 Post by dmw71 »

I will hold off on provoking the already turned undead, but won't hesitate to attack them once they become a threat again.
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#45 Post by Argennian »

dmw71 wrote:I will hold off on provoking the already turned undead, but won't hesitate to attack them once they become a threat again.
So noted, Dave! 8-)

~ Ok, friends! Just waiting for a pm response from Nuke for Lauranna and we'll get the action for Round 4 resolved! Work and RL drama been at DefCon2 for me for a while and just wanted to say thank you again for everyone's patience here!

Best,

Mitch

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#47 Post by Argennian »

Nuke66 wrote:Got it and response sent.......
PM received!! :?

Not sure if Ulrich is going to declare an action or hold for Round 4? Looks like Bogdan and Caelvanna are holding their attacks, at least for the moment...

Looking to update us here later as soon as I finish up my latest double shift!

Best,

Mitch

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#48 Post by Argennian »

All groups:

As if the intermittent power outages here in the ghetto weren't bad enough, think my cable modem is taking a crapola. Couldn't get on last night after the power came back on, or first thing this am (but it seems to be working now), so going to go by the Comcast store and get a replacement tonight after work.

Looking to get the next action update completed tonight and hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving and holiday weekend!

Best,

Mitch

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#49 Post by Argennian »

Got my cable modem issue resolved and looking like I'm back online solidly now, but had drama of the delaying nature pop up last night and could not get the next action post completed and in before I have to take an early repair roll this am. That and final pms going out as soon as I can swing it later today/tonight, folks.

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#50 Post by Argennian »

Status Update: Due the ongoing "bad weather" here in the bay area and having 2 field techs out again this week, the on-call has been unrelenting. Been slammed during the day and I've had to take service calls every single night this week so far, so can't seem to get a break and two free moments to put together between trying to catch up on sleep and now fighting a cold. I've been working on the next action post as I've had time here and there and hoping to be able to get that completed and up before tomorrow. Apologies again proffered for the ongoing delay and very much appreciate everyone's patience as I'm struggling through it.

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#51 Post by tkrexx »

...Aaaaaand just like that, life took me away for a couple of days. It happens, Bro.

Rxx

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#52 Post by dmw71 »

tkrexx wrote:Iiiiiiit's possible I got north & south confused. I do that occasionally. Makes being a mailman quite lively at times.
Ha! I'll bet.

So, are Emm and Lauranna plans to go north, through the tangled brush towards the two caves, or to the south where the longship and the guards are? I only ask since that decision will potentially affect what Caelvanna does.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Who's going where? / Happy New Year!!

#54 Post by Argennian »

Okay then folks, not sure how many people are still on the fence here, but looks like we have volunteers to go in both groups. So far, I'm seeing the following potentials:

Accompanying Sorel to the cliff cave off the north trail:
- Bogdan
- Ulrich

Accompanying Cutler to go for the soldiers on the southern beach:
- Caelvanna
- Lauranna

Undecided (wants to do both! :) ):
- Emm

I know it's New Year's Eve today/tonight and the holiday tomorrow, so no real rush or pressure here. At least not yet, anyways! :geek: I'm planning on getting the latest encounter posted over the holiday and will be ready to roll my DM's Green Dice o Death again when the upcoming action goes down!

Happy New Year everyone!

Please be safe out there and don't drink too much (like I did over Christmas). Looking forward to 2015 and seeing through my resolution of being a postier DM and more active member of these boards!

Cheers & Best,

Mitch

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#55 Post by dmw71 »

Happy New Year, all.
-- Project --
-- DM --

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#56 Post by tkrexx »

I gotta think the invaders are top priority also. I don't really want to mess with them, but if we can learn what they're up too, who knows how we could benefit? The caves will be there for a while yet. I did want to snag a wild pig or 2 tho... But they will be around later too.

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

OOC/POPs for where folks want to go...

#57 Post by Argennian »

Just as a clarification point of order pomegranate, your characters do not have to all go the same way here. If you want to go as a party you can, but it's your individual call. Just wanted to make sure that you didn't think I was trying to get folks to go with a majority vote.

Fwiw, the soldiers are indeed a clear and present danger while on the island but with the absence of any visual reconnoiter intel from above, there's no way to tell where that navy warship is either. If it's anchored here offshore, that will definitely be important to know asap, and dictate what actions should/could be taken as a result.

So this is what I'm showing at present:

Accompanying Sorel to the cliff cave off the north trail:
- Bogdan
- Ulrich

Accompanying Cutler to go for the soldiers on the southern beach:
- Caelvanna
- Lauranna
- Emm

If that's not what & where your character wants to go, please chime in here and let me know by tonight. Otherwise, I'm planning to move us forward on both fronts no later than tomorrow morning.

Hope everyone had a Happy New Year's and that you don't have to go to work today like I do! :x

Best,

Mitch

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#58 Post by Argennian »

SocraticLawyer wrote:"I've no talent for subterfuge," says Ulrich. "So I will go explore the cave up in the cliffs." OOC: Assuming that doesn't disrupt training!
Training has been interrupted with the latest chain of events but that doesn't mean that you'll be losing what Ulrich has already earned towards 4th level.

I discussed this previously in more length & detail here: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=3130&p=120452#p120452
dmw71 wrote:... Where is the cave crevice that Aramis thought the faerie-fired creature might have escaped into?
That is where Bogdan, Caelvanna & Ulrich killed the giant boa and found the crates with the urns and small chest at the base of the cliffs: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=1360&start=60#p45473
dmw71 wrote:Also, I'm a bit confused here. If I'm not mistaken:
* Cutler went south and discovered the navy longboat and the marine guards.
* Sorel went north and discovered the two caves.
Correct on both counts! :)
dmw71 wrote:Emm indicated she was going to travel north, through towards the thicket, with Sorel (and Lauranna), and they could use their magics on the guards. Are there guards to the north as well that I missed?
No guards on the northern trail, only a few packs of wild boars that Sorel saw. There were 2 soldiers standing guard nearby a navy longboat on the southern beaches, one of which had a falconer's glove on. Cutler saw the tracks of at least a half dozen other soldiers or booted individuals that left that spot and headed inland towards the cliffs.
(Note: correction above indicates that the obstructing thicket is actually past both of the caves that he discovered)

~ Didn't see any objections to the above post about splitting of the party into the northern and southern groups, so I'm going ahead with that. Already working on both of the next action posts but had some RL drama erupt that I need to go handle. Looking to get these finished and the encounter thread updated later this evening!

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."

Nuke66
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#59 Post by Nuke66 »

Here's to us for making it to the top of the boards as the longest lived game!

Thanks Mitch

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#60 Post by tkrexx »

Here's to us for making it to the top of the boards as the longest lived game!
:mrgreen:

Return to “A New Hope to the West”