Chapter 4: Under the Tree

KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: Chapter 4: Under the Tree

#341 Post by KingOfCowards »

Simon pokes through the trinkets with curiosity, but seeing nothing abnormal he sets them aside for the now.
"Well, that didn't help solve this mystery. Should we have another look at the heart of the tree?"

mb.
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#342 Post by mb. »

"Aye lad, it's a good a place t'look as any other I reckon. But let's carry this lot out near the way out, an' pick it up later, aye?"

Bürd rigs the rope through the handles so they can each carry one end and drop it quickly if circumstances call for it. Unless anything stops us, we'll drop the buckets off near the entrance, circle around counter-clockwise, stop and wrap up tightly before carefully crossing the puffball chamber, and enter the chamber where the heart of the tree is.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#343 Post by Pulpatoon »

Making your way back through the chambers, everything looks exactly as it had, last night, except less smokey. there are no signs of disturbance or change. Picking your way carefully through the puffball chamber, you come to the root chamber. There, the heart of the oak beats weakly and erratically. The black oily mold growing on it has visibly spread, since yesterday, and the green toadstools are much larger. They almost obscure the heart, at this point.

KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#344 Post by KingOfCowards »

In a hushed tone Simon speaks, but its more to himself than to Burd. "The tree is doing worse. There must still be some other evil at work."
Unless we find something else to defeat, we'll have to fire it. It's nearing death already. I propose we return to the surface and look for clues again.

mb.
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#345 Post by mb. »

Bürd frowns and nods up at the roots, "Aye, looks uglier an' all. Y'think we kin at th'least scrape some off lad? It's naught but wee 'shrooms, aye? It's nary a solution, but I'd be bettin' it'll bring some measure a'relief."

KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#346 Post by KingOfCowards »

Simon nods absent-mindlessly, "I suppose it couldn't hurt. But they reproduce by their spores. From what I know of mushrooms, wouldn't they just grow back unless the conditions changed? The conditions being some kind of dark magic, I don't know if there is anything we can do."

Intelligence Check for Mycology (9): [1d20] = 19
Forget about that. Simon knows nothing of mushrooms. These probably look tasty to him.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#347 Post by Pulpatoon »

Mycology is not yer strong suit. Maybe Religious Lore?

KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#348 Post by KingOfCowards »

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#349 Post by Pulpatoon »

KingOfCowards wrote:Religious Lore: [1d20] = 14
Simon's INT is 9, +2 for Religious Lore=11. Sadly, that's a failure. Simon is at a complete loss.

mb.
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#350 Post by mb. »

Bürd scratches his chin, "It won't heal th'tree fer sure, but scrapin' a bit a the 'schrooms off kinnae hurt, can it?"

mb.
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#351 Post by mb. »

Bürd shrugs and sighs, "I'm sure yer right lad, it's th'cause we're needin' t'find t'be sure. Anythin' else is jus' a soppy bandage. Let's be off up top again an' see what we're seein'. I'm at a loss where we should be off t'next, but we're not growin' no smarter down here." He turns towards the exit and stumps back towards the grove.

KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#352 Post by KingOfCowards »

Simon stares dumbfounded at the mushrooms for a few moments, then scurries after Burd.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#353 Post by Pulpatoon »

As you head topside, you hear voices in the Grove. You recognize Marcus and Gizzy's voice, and some other, older voices, as well.

New thread time!

Return to “Adventure 1: Death Comes to Herebury”