Part 2: The Barrow Fields

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Part 2: The Barrow Fields

#1 Post by ybn1197 »

Please post any additional equipment purchases and who is carrying it to the OoC thread. Please have this complete by this evening (EST). Moving on...

As the younger grumpy man in the square informed you, the mounds are located a half-day’s march from the village. The area of the mounds is ancient, damp, and obscured by mist. Everything is still and eerily quiet. No bird or animal sounds can be heard. You approach the mounds from the north. Looking out onto the field of mounds, you quickly decide their are just too many mounds to count. You are approximately 250 to 300 feet from the closest mounds, though you see no entrances into them. You can only assume that the entrances are on the south-facing side.

RiotInferno
Guide
Guide

Re: Part 1: Helix

#2 Post by RiotInferno »

Pyrrhic lowers himself to one knee, planting his sword down in front of him, saying a quiet prayer for those who rest here, and asking forgiveness for the defiling to come.

Tomcat42
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#3 Post by Tomcat42 »

Hedric, the Strange

Hedric keeps an close eye on the flora hereabouts, almost stumbling into his travelling companions several times, trying to identify any interesting herbs or other useful plants that he might harvest. Often times the most interesting things grow among those dead things returned to the earth.
DM: "Black Dougal gasps 'Poison!' and falls to the floor. He looks dead."
Fredrik: "I'm grabbing his pack to carry treasure in."

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#4 Post by Ludanto »

"Huh," Mortiganto muses. "Maybe the entrances are on the other side? I say we just head through to the other side until we find one."

"Also, it's very creepy here, so make sure to be on the lookout for... I don't know, wolves or ghosts or something."

He starts walking forward toward (and around) the nearest mound. "Everybody stay close," he says in a loud whisper.
"Mi pensas, ke mia simio metis sian piedon en vian trinkaĵon."
Neniam dividu la adventurgrupon.
"Ĉu vi volas koboldojn? Ĉar tiel estas kiel oni akiras koboldojn!"

Saxinis
Strider
Strider

#5 Post by Saxinis »

Uto Keitel

We should setup a base camp in the nearest mound. Maybe put a marker of some kind in case we become separated and lost.
* I'll be your huckleberry.
* I don't really care too much about the ruleset, I want a good setting and to have fun.

RiotInferno
Guide
Guide

#6 Post by RiotInferno »

"That's a good idea, Uto."

I'll keep an eye out for ghost wolves, drawing my bow and keeping it at the ready.

"Does anyone want to scout out the visible mounds and see if there are any obvious ways inside?"

MrHemlocks
Ranger
Ranger

#7 Post by MrHemlocks »

***Marcus, Outside Mounds***

Marcus steps off to the side. "Guys wait one minute please. I am going to look for tracks, of humanoid creatures, and see if they will lead us to an opened or looted burial mound. I am sure other semi-intelligent creatures had tried looting these mounds and they might of found an entrance or even made one themselves."

Keeping his bow at the ready an eyes scanning the mucky ground, Marcus searches for humanoid tracks.

I will let the DM roll for track for there are a lot of factors to take into account when using that skill. Still 90%+/- ?

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#8 Post by Ludanto »

"I don't want to be here all day," Mortiganto says as he shrugs off his pack. "You look for tracks. I'm going to check that nearest mound for entrances. Somebody watch my pack. I'll be right back."

He then jogs off toward the nearest mound, ready to run back if he finds trouble.

RiotInferno
Guide
Guide

#9 Post by RiotInferno »

"Morti, you might want to hold up for a second. Marcus is going to see if he can figure out those who came before us."
I'll keep a cover on Marcus as he's searching.

MrHemlocks
Ranger
Ranger

#10 Post by MrHemlocks »

***Marcu, Outside Mounds***

Stopping to look up at Mortiganto, as he noisily runs into the mist by himself, causes Marcus to mumble. "Crazy fool! He knows how dangerous this place is. Must have a death wish. All that noise he is making surely will drawn attention to us from any creatures within shouting range." Raising his bow an aiming at the back of Mortiganto skull, Marcus stops short of firing."I will not allow him to get me killed. Nope, I will not!"

Last edited by MrHemlocks on Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#11 Post by Ludanto »

"I'm still going," Mortiganto insists. "It'll only take a minute to round this one mound and come back."

DMStue
Tracker
Tracker

#12 Post by DMStue »

Watching the brash human thundering off into the mire, the diminutive Halfling turns to the rest of the group.

"Light on his feet is Dren. If you need a scout, or someone to keep an eye on the loud one, I will be willing"

Dren prepared himself to move ahead of the group if required.
Drendan Fallowbriar - Halfling Thief in "Valnwall: The Barrowmaze (LL)"

Saxinis
Strider
Strider

#13 Post by Saxinis »

Uto Keitel

"Wotan welcomes all who die in battle, even if by their own foolishness", says Uto chuckling at Marcus' reaction to Mort's running ahead.
* I'll be your huckleberry.
* I don't really care too much about the ruleset, I want a good setting and to have fun.

Tomcat42
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#14 Post by Tomcat42 »

Hedric the Strange

Hedric busies himself fastening one of his torches to the end of his staff with some twine. "Flitting about like a moth to the flame.." he mumbles to himself in elven.
DM: "Black Dougal gasps 'Poison!' and falls to the floor. He looks dead."
Fredrik: "I'm grabbing his pack to carry treasure in."

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by ybn1197 »

Skirting around the mound to come upon the south facing side, Mortiganto finds a stone door blocking access into the mound.

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#16 Post by Ludanto »

Mortiganto comes running back.

"Well, there's a big stone door on the other side of that first mound there."

He picks up his pack and waits for the tracker to finish tracking.

DMStue
Tracker
Tracker

#17 Post by DMStue »

Dren prepares his Thieves Tools, ready to move up to the door and check it for traps after the Ranger finishes his sweep for information.

MrHemlocks
Ranger
Ranger

#18 Post by MrHemlocks »

***Marcus, Outside Mound Door***

With a sweep of the area completed, Marcus heads over toward the door. "Well little friend, looking at the small hobbit standing beside the tombs entrance, you think you can spot a trap or so other nasty before we try to open the door?"

DMStue
Tracker
Tracker

#19 Post by DMStue »

Dren moves forwards slowly and carefully, scouring the ground before him, and then the door before him for signs of danger.

RiotInferno
Guide
Guide

#20 Post by RiotInferno »

"Dren, I don't supposed you'd care to tie some rope around you, would you? That way, in the event of something unfortunate happening, we can pull your motionless body away from the death zone and give you a proper burial."

Return to “Valnwall: The Barrowmaze (LL)”