(CLOSED) OOC

Antman9
GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

Re: OOC

#781 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Lol yeah well you know me right ;)
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Antman9
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#782 Post by Antman9 »

That sounds like fun GW. I will PM you later about the Woodsman Class.
DM - Dragons Belch: A New Beginning (Custom D&D)
DM - Ying Huo Chóng – The Way of Things (Cortex Plus - Firefly)

Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#783 Post by Dram »

Brodieze VanPoopinz izzz herze readize forz Duteeze.

I like playing the kobold. I think I will stay with him.
Current Characters/Games
Grakluse Longleaf-A Candle in the Darkness
Jacxor Ironforge-Dungeon of the Mad Mage (5e)
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls
Xlore Strongoak-B11 King's Festival & B12 Queen's Harvest - AD&D 2e

Antman9
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#784 Post by Antman9 »

Sounds good Dram. Thanks for checking in. Ill be making an initial post on Thirsday evening. Basically a getting started post.

Antman9
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#785 Post by Antman9 »

Hey All,

I wanted to share a PM I sent to GreyWolf with everyone concerning a new change I am considering to my core rule set. It's something I've been considering for some time now. MonkeyWrench is already working on a new character using this method, and I am willing to give everyone the opportunity to do so as well, should they feel so inclined. I am perfectly fine, however, if any of you decide to stick with what you have, I would also be fine with you tweaking your character using the new rule.

(GreyWolf: I made a few additions. So you might want to re-read this version here/below)

I'm trying something new with my core ruleset. I've been contemplating a classless system for some time, and now seems like a good time to give it a try.

I have always been irritated with the restrictive, stereotypical manner in which everyone thinks about (roleplays) race and class. I prefer to think more broadly (open) and feel that every race has a wide variety of skills and personality; otherwise how would they survive? If the Swiss only made watches, who would cook, or build their homes, or teach, etc?

So my thought is choose a background, personality, and the various quirks and faults that make each individual, well, an individual. From there decide what that character does best and worst. How do they make it in the world (what is their profession or love, what do they do to make a living, or have fun for that matter). Try not to thing black and white or stereotypically.

Here is where things get funky. Don't pigeonhole your character into a stereotypical "Class" that you might find in a D&D (or other) handbook. Basically I want you to tell me what background that character has in the job/personal history,the things they they do (or their life). Send your background, key personality traits, and key "Class" skills that you see being an integral part of your character's pathology/personality to me and then we will discuss how best to integrate those into your character.

So, say you choose to be a Kobold sous-chef who is in search of the perfect meal (MonkeyWrench is in the process of creating just such a character). What background might that character have that would allow them to become an adventurer and to assist their fellow party members. The sky is the limit here, just what is it that your character would be good and bad at. Having a few bad or otherwise unwanted traits would make for a well rounded character, because after all we can't all be perfect can we. I love it when players take seemingly simple skills, abilities, etc. and turn them into useful adventuring skills; one of the primary reasons I made the Commoner class.

The skills, and success or failure thereof, will be based on your character's stats, background, personality, and any pertinent DC checks. A good portion of the success or failure will fall in the realm of DM adjudication. I, as the DM, will know what your character's skills are and whether or not they would be able to accomplish the desired task. Keep in mind I like to adjudicate on a scaled system.

The character above might be able to flip a paring knife through a cracked doorway with much greater success than say a priest or a magic user (not to say that one of those other classes wouldn't or couldn't have that same skill based on their pathology and background). What do you envision your character doing or rather how do you envision your character? In my mind a Chef is not defenseless, neither is a scribe, or a common sailor, or anyone for that matter. Each and every person has a host of abilities/skills that make them affective as an individual. Let your imagination run wild. Keep in mind this is D&D not Marvel comics with super powers though :)

So when I say "traits or skills" I don't mean: proficient in two-handed sword, or backstab, or cooking, or climbing, or rope use. What I mean is, what distinct abilities has that character obtained through the various combinations of personality, trade (job), experience, beliefs, family background, etc. Quite often your character's personality, background, history, and quirks will be enough without specifically listing a bunch of skills. During game play you will role-play that character according to their pathology. Some people only attempt to do things they know they can accomplish while others attempt things they, quite knowingly, cannot. The DC system takes into account all of the factors, of both the character and the environment, involved. Sometimes you will want to do the hard thing and sometimes not. A character that has a history of slinking around in the shadows to avoid adverse circumstances in their life will have a much greater chance of succeeding than one who has not had that experience (but that doesn't mean the less skilled should not try). I encourage everyone to weight the pros and cons of each and every action their character makes. I believe it is also in good character to stay within character as well. Only when there is some obvious benefit to either the character or the party as a whole should any one character act out of character.

I apologize for the dissertation length PM but I wanted to make sure you understood what I'm asking for. The class you choose won't (or rather doesn't have to) follow the rules at all. In fact I would encourage you not to, but rather consider your character's pathology and background to guide you in designing your character's background/pathology. I want those race/class descriptions I provide, or you find elsewhere, to be a starting point (inspiration) for your own imagination.

Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#786 Post by Dram »

I would like to make a few updates them to Brodie. Do I PM you my ideas or is there going to be list of secondary traits to choose from. Or possible 2nd Edition traits.
Current Characters/Games
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls

Antman9
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#787 Post by Antman9 »

Dram wrote:I would like to make a few updates them to Brodie. Do I PM you my ideas or is there going to be list of secondary traits to choose from. Or possible 2nd Edition traits.
I will go ahead and open another thread to discuss this so everyone can benefit.

Antman9
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: OOC UPDATED

#788 Post by Antman9 »

I have created a Classless System The 0e Experience thread to post all of my ideas on the system something I was previously calling "The 0e Experience"

Lets go ahead and make any discussions about your characters here in the OOC Character Generation thread so we can keep the Classless System The 0e Experience thread clean for reference purposes.

So, you can either PM me your character ideas or post them in the Character Generation thread. Posting them there would be beneficial as then everyone would get to see the process, plus that makes it easier on me (less repeating myself via PM) :) But if you feel more comfortable PM'ing me then I'm OK with that too.

Thanks
Antman9 (Marc)

Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#789 Post by Dram »

Are there any racial bonuses to stats for the races?
Current Characters/Games
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls

Antman9
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#790 Post by Antman9 »

Dram wrote:Are there any racial bonuses to stats for the races?

Sorry Dram. I had started to get those added a while back and then got busy and forgot.

Here are the racial modifiers for the Dark Elf: +2 DEX, +1 CON, -1 CHA

I added them to the Dark Elf stats in the Race thread for future reference.

Antman9
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#791 Post by Antman9 »

Hello All,

Glad to have most everyone back. There are still several folks working on new characters so I will postpone making the first post until Sunday.

A note about the new rule system: For the most part you won't really see much of a change. The core mechanics work exactly the same; at least in the way I adjudicate the encounters. The primary difference comes in the form of character creation. In the new system I ask that you consider your character's pathology more deeply, and flush out the minute details that would bring the character to life. One thing I haven't stressed much, as far as the mechanics are concerned, is I held each player accountable for only the abilities for their race and class. Moving forward I will be asking each player to move toward a more realistic role-playing experience.

What I mean is, I want each of you to consider your character's pathology and post that characters actions accordingly, forgetting completely any and all class based abilities that you are familiar with. Those abilities are now tied to your character's pathology. I will make a separate post in The 0e Experience thread tomorrow concerning the specifics of those mechanics and the DC system. I would like each of you to start using the DC system more freely (this will make more sense once I make the post tomorrow).

Most of you are already doing this, so there won't be much of a change, other than a general mindset and a few extra words in your posts. For example, I would like each of you, when you make your post (or posts) to try and create a fluid series of event that fall in line like a story. For example, most posts presently, at least during battle typically come in the form of: Ragnark (previously a soldier before becoming an adventurer) attacks the Giant beetle with his broadsword while yelling, "Die!"

Moving forward we want those posts to be more colorful and full. In the following scenario three adventurers are in a small room with scattered furniture fighting a Giant Beetle. The player playing Ragnark makes the first post:

Ragnark quickly assesses the field of battle. Seeing the beetle heading toward Grimble (magic using adventurer) Ragnark calls out, "Belfast (a swift footed Wood Elf with woodsman experience), quick, Grimble is in danger." Ragnark kicks a nearby chair in front of the beetle and closes the distance.

Ragnark Initiative [1d10] = 1, Attack [1d20+3] = 19+3 = 22, Broadsword[1d8+1] = 4+1 = 5

The next couple of player come in and, if they so choose, can play off of Ragnark’s post, or choose to do their own thing. Although it would be nice if Belfast acknowledged (in the post) Ragnark’s command verbally, even if he doesn’t obey it, such as “He can fend for himself!” or something.

Belfast, being swift footed, might leap over a nearby table, grab a loose rope, and try to lasso the Beetle.

Because both of those characters have natural abilities in the actions they are attempting, there is no need to roll a DC. They only make the attack rolls: the broadsword attack and a DEX DC to lasso the Beetle. They are not attempting to do anything spectacular. However, the outcome of their actions will be dependent upon their opponents actions and rolls, as well as where their own rolls, and the overall initiative for each character during that round. In the simple scenario above we can extrapolate actions and visualize what is happening within the space (it will make more sense in game when I provide the details of the environment, which will typically include a map of some sort. Also something to keep in mind, if the Beetle is successfully lassoed, it will be considerably easier to defeat it. Always consider the long game. Sometimes it won't work out and you're character will have a campfire story to tell along with a pretty scar or two.

Should a magic using, frail, quivering, ball of nerves adventurer attempt to jump over a table with two daggers in hand and stick an ogre in the chest…well, I think we all know how that’s going to turn out, regardless of the roll. In this case that character would have to make a DEX DC to see if they make it over the table first (they are most likely not very swift footed or desxtrous), and then deal with the dagger attack roll (also something they most likely won’t be proficient at). But Belfast from above would be able to pull it off fairly easily with a hand/forest axe or two anyway.

My point is, I want you guys to try stuff. Use the environment I give you to your advantage and paint a colorful picture of your character’s actions and verbals. I want you to know and believe in your character and make posts that utilize their pathology. If you want to pick up a rock or a chair and hurl it or club something with it, by all means have at it (sometimes I will ask you for a DC check and sometimes I will make one for you, we can talk about this in more detail later. I will add in any damage rolls for unknown attack weapons).

The other change I want to make is for you guys to feel free to make multiple posts, even during combat. A round in this rule set is one full minute. Lots of stuff can happen in one full minute. I will make a separate post about this in The 0e Experience thread as well so we all understand the mechanics of actions in combat and making multiple posts between DM summary posts.

Think of each and every round like a puzzle that needs solving. You’ve got all of your character’s skills, those of your fellow adventurers, and everything in the environment. Use it all to your advantage, because I promise the opposite side is going to.

I guess that’s enough of my blathering for today. Look for a few posts in The 0e Experience thread tomorrow, along with a few posts in the Character Generation thread.

I will be condensing and cleaning up some of the overly verbose threads, especially those concerning the new system and the core rules, so keep an eye on the DM Notes thread for those changes. I often make changes to an exiting post and then make a note about those changes in the DM Notes thread.

Thanks for everyone’s patience and hard work. I’m looking forward to getting this thing back off the ground.

Thanks
Antman9 (Marc)

GreyWolfVT

#792 Post by GreyWolfVT »

is there anything more you need from me or is my half fire giant good as is Antman?
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

Sol
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#793 Post by Sol »

Enjoying the new backstory that everyone is putting up. : )
Ready your Sword, your Spells, your Warhammer. The Iron Realm Podcast awaits!
http://theironrealm.blogspot.com/

MonkeyWrench
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#794 Post by MonkeyWrench »

I agree! I'm glad everyone from before is on board to continue this shindig.

We have an awesome group of players here and I think with the new characters this new run is gonna be a very interesting one!
Life is a roller coaster, if you don't stop to enjoy it then you may as well not even ride.

GreyWolfVT

#795 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Would you expect different? I wouldn't :)

MonkeyWrench
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#796 Post by MonkeyWrench »

GreyWolfVT wrote:Would you expect different? I wouldn't :)
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I guess I wouldn't really expect different either with the people gathered here.
Life is a roller coaster, if you don't stop to enjoy it then you may as well not even ride.

GreyWolfVT

#797 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Apologies folks my internet has been turned off so i am not able to post as often having to hook up with free guest wifi where i can.

Antman9
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#798 Post by Antman9 »

Hello all,

Thank you all for sticking around. I hope I can continue to meet everyone's expectation for a fun and exciting experience. I have made the first adventure post for this round: In Gods We Trust. Hopefully it isn't too over the top or on the nose, or just dumb altogether. I've had a rough couple of weeks at both work and my first few weeks at school, so I'm not 100% up to snuff at the present. Hopefully that will change soon though.

As I stated previously I will be making my summary posts on Sunday and Thursday evenings. So try to squeeze in your posts between now and Sunday evening. For those of you still working out the details for their character's we will do that moving forward. I will try to post messages for those folks in the next 24 hours, specifically MonkeyWrench, thesniperknight1, and Sol. If anyone else wants additional info or to make additions to their character please feel free to make those posts in the Character Generation thread.

As always, please feel free to shout out any comments, questions, concerns, or criticism as you like.
Thanks
Antman9 (Marc)

GreyWolfVT wrote:Apologies folks my internet has been turned off so i am not able to post as often having to hook up with free guest wifi where i can.
GW: No problem sir. post when you can.

Sol
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#799 Post by Sol »

A rich and tantalizing story hook. I will be digging in with my first post shortly.
Ready your Sword, your Spells, your Warhammer. The Iron Realm Podcast awaits!
http://theironrealm.blogspot.com/

GreyWolfVT

#800 Post by GreyWolfVT »

I'll do my best i get the ISP all paid off and they say it will be a week until they turn me back on. I'm looking for some alternatives at the moment. ;)

Return to “Dragons Belch: A New Beginning”