Action Thread 20

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Action Thread 20

#61 Post by Argennian »

Yosef shrugs off Jeloon's contemptuous comments of impatience and frustration. He knows his fellow fighter companion wants more blood and wants it now. Although he truly believes that the utilization of stealth and beguilement will serve their common designs and purposes much better than an all-out forward assault, there is no one he knows that he'd rather stand toe to toe with against an enemy when the time comes to let their steel sing...

Hearing the exchange below, Yosef quickly slings his bow and carefully draws his sword. He knows if Till gets found out it could become four on one very quickly. He also knows that his desire to get Jeloon and Bruard in on a ruse he'd been thinking about will take too much time to elaborate on now. He makes a few quick hand motions to Jeloon and Bruard to tell them he's going down the ramp and to give him a 3-count before they follow. He figures Jeloon might be good for maybe half that time at best.

Once the fighter and cleric acknowledge, Yosef will pull his hood over his head, crouch low to make himself look smaller and use the shambling gait akin to how goblins do to move down the center of the ramp. In in his best grizzly-humanoid voice, he will call out to the goblins below in their tongue. "What all racket down here? Someone at door you idiots!"

Hoping to pull the goblins' attention and also cause them some confusion, Yosef will move towards the outer door of the tower without looking up to show his non-goblin visage. He's looking to try and get within melee range of at least one of them before he springs his surprise. If he sees one of the goblins off to the side, or isolated by himself, he'll move on that one.
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)
Brok Sterling: Human Assassin3 (ToniXX's Incursion into Newiron OSRIC Playtest)
Tanik Tremwoodak: Dwarf Cleric3 (Dave's 1e Skype Game)

DM: home-brew OSRIC "A New Hope to the West" campaign

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#62 Post by ToniXX »

Bruard acknowledges the high elf's hand motions, and stays at the ready. He can't help but laugh inside when he hears the elf speak in the humanoid tongue, although he doesn't understand what is being said. The cleric is prepared for a fight.
"Sir, our research shows that the bird is equal to or greater than the word."

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#63 Post by rredmond »

Day 22 – Pre-Dawn Sortie -- 6:28 am

The half-orc grumbles to herself, but readies her sword. The goblins seem to stay at the bottom of the ramp. So the elf pulls up his grey cloak indicating to the others that he's heading down and calls out in goblin, which makes the cleric smile.

As Yosef heads down the goblins seem to move forward a little bit. What in the hells are you doing? One calls up to Yosef.

There is two on the ramp, one a bit closer than the other (who is at the very bottom). The other two move up, closer to but not on the ramp.

They don't seem to be alarmed at all. The ruse apparently is working. Hmm, Yosef has no shield? Map: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=351&p=112622#p112622

HPs: Jeloon - 29/29; Till - 36/36; Yosef - 13/13; Bruard - 19/19
WIH: Till: short sword (15' radius light); Jeloon: Longsword (20' radius light), shield; Yosef: long sword; Bruard: Mace, shield; Van: +1 ogre spear, shield; Eyman: +1 Battle Axe, shield
MO: 1- Till; 2- Yosef; 3- Jeloon; 4- Bruard BEHIND: Eyman and Van; Ancor, Rosin, DAMs
Consumables: Lantern - (Bruard) continual light 60' radius; Torch, 50 minutes (Yosef), 40' radius; Torch, 60 minutes (off), 40' radius.
--------Spells: Yosef: 1-2/2, 2-1/1; Bruard: 1-5/5, 2-4/4

This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#64 Post by ToniXX »

Bruard holds his position while the ruse is still working. He'll spring into action at the first sign of hostility.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#65 Post by dmw71 »

Jeloon grips the hilt of her longsword and itches to engage, but surprises herself with the amount of restraint she's able to demonstrate by following Bruard's lead and holding her current position.
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#66 Post by Argennian »

rredmond wrote:... As Yosef heads down the goblins seem to move forward a little bit. What in the hells are you doing? One calls up to Yosef.

There is two on the ramp, one a bit closer than the other (who is at the very bottom). The other two move up, closer to but not on the ramp. ...
"Making sure you keeping watch! They at door now you idiots!" Yosef replies in his grizzly-humanoid voice, his hooded head raised just enough to see their feet and lower legs so he won't give away his pretty elf visage. He continues to descend the ramp with his lowered, shambling gait, hoping his ruse of feigned declaration will get at least one or a few of them to look back toward the main doors.

As soon as he's almost right next to the one closest on the ramp, he'll spring into action and launch himself at the two goblins below the two that are on the ramp, swinging his longsword with inbred humanoid-hatred. He's hoping his ruse works well enough that the two on the ramp won't be prepared to stop or engage him, and that they'll turn to see him attack their compatriots below, therefore exposing their rear flanks to Jeloon and Bruard above. If that's not the case, then he'll swing at whichever one (or two) moves to confront or block him.

To Hit: Longsword [1d20+1] = 2+1 = 3 (miss), Damage: sm/med sized creatures [1d8] = 6

To Hit: Longsword [1d20+1] = 13+1 = 14 (hits AC3), Damage: sm/med sized creatures [1d8] = 3

OOC: Ron: not sure if Yosef is going to achieve surprise here, but if he does, figured I'd include both attacks, assuming both of the two he's attacking are close enough together that he can engage both of them. If not, go ahead and apply both attacks on whichever one he gets to first.
If no surprise achieved, and/or he can't get off both attacks, I'll apply that second attack roll for next round; also confirmed no shield equipped.
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#67 Post by rredmond »

Day 22 – Pre-Dawn Sortie -- 6:30 am

Yosef shuffles on down as the others all wait to attack. Then as he exclaims They at door now several things start to happen almost all at the same time. There's a bigger goblin fully off the ramp that starts to lift the horn to his lips as he turns toward the double doors behind him. Everyone can see this because not only are there torches down there, but Till's face lights up from out of the shadows as he brings his flaming dagger down on the horn goblin's back! At the same time Yosef throws himself at the horn goblin and his crossbow wielding friend next to him. Yosef and Till seem to be more surprised than the goblin though, because both of their attacks do no more damage than cause him to drop the horn to his hip (it's on a shoulder strap) and bring his short sword to bear. He steps back toward the door, but more faces Till as Yosef turns toward the second goblin.

The second goblin is ready for the assault though as the other two goblins on the ramp turn to attack Yosef (achieving the wanted result) but is momentarily distracted by an arc of flame as Till tosses his dagger to his off hand while he draws his own short sword to face the goblin with the horn. Taking advantage of that distraction Yosef gets through the goblin's defenses and brings him down with one sword stroke.

Till and the goblin with the horn square off and Till brings both blades down as the goblin swipes with his own sword. Till misses, but ([1d20] = 16) so does the goblin, barely.

The two goblins from the ramp though move forward and strike at Yosef with their swords. [1d20] = 14 [1d20] = 8 Neither one being able to hit the rampaging elf.

There are three goblins still standing, a rather larger one facing Till by the door, and two others at the end of the ramp, facing Yosef. The two facing Yosef do have their backs to Bruard and Jeloon, but unfortunately bar the path to get to Till and the goblin he faces. Behind Yosef (as he has now turned to face the two attacking him) is a goblin unmoving on the ground.

So far there doesn't seem to be any goblins coming down from the roof, but there hasn't been an opportunity for these goblins to yell out -- yet.

I'll need someone to roll initiative and everyone to state their actions and make the rolls associated with those actions. Map: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=351&p=112622#p112622

WIH: Till: short sword (15' radius light); Jeloon: Longsword (20' radius light), shield; Yosef: long sword; Bruard: Mace, shield; Van: +1 ogre spear, shield; Eyman: +1 Battle Axe, shield
MO: 1- Till; 2- Yosef; 3- Jeloon; 4- Bruard BEHIND: Eyman and Van; Ancor, Rosin, DAMs
Consumables: Lantern - (Bruard) continual light 60' radius; Torch, 50 minutes (Yosef), 40' radius; Torch, 60 minutes (off), 40' radius.

This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#68 Post by dmw71 »

rredmond wrote:I'll need someone to roll initiative
Initiative [1d6] = 4
-- Project --
-- DM --

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#69 Post by dmw71 »

The time for patience clearly having passed, Jeloon rushes out from her position and quickly assesses the situation. Identifying two immediate targets, stupid goblins with their backs turned to her, she lashes out, her blade a flurry of activity as she seeks to end the threat to Yosef before moving on to do the same with the opponent squaring off against Till.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#70 Post by Alethan »

With a growl of frustration, Till swings at the larger goblin again with glowing sword and fiery dagger.

To Hit, Shortsword+1 [1d20+1] = 10+1 = 11 and Flametongue Dagger +1 [1d20] = 19

Damage, Dagger+1 (Small/Medium) [1d4+1] = 3+1 = 4

(OOC: Don't know what kind of bonus the flaming bit does. If you let me know, Ron, I'll adjust my macros.)
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#71 Post by ToniXX »

Bruard follows Jeloon into the fray, and swings at any goblin still standing after Jeloon releases her fury:

Mace to-hit [1d20] = 13 damage (sm/m) [1d6+1] = 3+1 = 4
Hits AC 5

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#72 Post by Argennian »

Trusting that Jeloon and Bruard will be charging down to either finish off or at least engage the two goblins still on the ramp, Yosef tries to outflank them and focus his martial attention and rampaging humanoid hatred back upon the big gobbie with the horn facing off against his fearless halfling companion.

"All you idiots must die!" he whispers venomously in their corrupted tongue as he swings his already-bloodied steel with further bad intentions...

To Hit: Longsword [1d20+1] = 15+1 = 16 (hits AC1), Damage: sm/med sized creatures [1d8] = 5

To Hit: Longsword [1d20+1] = 14+1 = 15 (hits AC2), Damage: sm/med sized creatures [1d8] = 5

OOC: If Yosef can attack the one with the horn (even if it provokes an attack(s) of opportunity), he will do so. If he cannot get to the horn-goblin, he will attempt to hack through the two gobbies now facing him and hope that either Jeloon or Bruard can charge in against him.

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#73 Post by rredmond »

Day 22 – Pre-Dawn Sortie -- 6:31 am

Well, an initiative roll of [1d6] = 1 isn't going to help.

Though not surprised by the initial assault, the attack has them caught quite flatfooted and the party attacks first.

Before the two on the end of the ramp can even turn around mace and cuisinart sword bash and slice them down. There's naught even a gurgle as they die before even having the chance of being awed by the party descending upon them. Bruard and Jeloon, both with splashes of goblin blood across their legs and lower torsos, press forward.

Meanwhile Yosef turns around to plunge his sword into the back of the goblin facing Till. As he does so, he sees a flaming tip of metal come out of the back of the goblin's throat. Just the hint of goblin meat, well done, coming with a wisp of smoke and a quiet sizzle. Till sees the eyes of the goblin, at least he saw it coming, widen and then drop to the horn as they glaze over.

You all look at each other, glad to have taken care of the second floor first but amazed at what little amount of noise you made in this melee. It isn't likely the top floor heard much of anything, as these goblins didn't put up much of a fight - heck only a little more of a fight then the goblins on the second floor. Now you've secured the bottom level of the tower, there's still the top level, and your henchmen.

Wow. Okay that's a kill, or part kill for everyone in this battle. Plus it was done with relative quiet, wasn't sure if your initiative roll was going to hold out, but with their 1, and Jeloon and Yosef's multi-actions, wasn't much of a fight. Map: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=351&p=112622#p112622

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#74 Post by rredmond »

I added a map for the first floor at the same link above... not really any different than the second.
The double doors are barred from the inside and look extremely sturdy. It would've taken more then brute strength to get in them that's for sure. Other than four dead goblins and goblin blood on the floor there isn't really anything in this level.
Each goblin has a short sword, a light crossbow and 20 bolts. The weapons seem in pretty decent condition. They wear animal skins and each have a pouch. The guy with the horn has 4gp and 6sp in his pouch, the other three have: 3gp and 5sp, 3gp and 3sp, and 1gp and 2sp.

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#75 Post by Argennian »

"As I said...idiots!" Yosef whispers sarcastically, just loudly enough to be heard by his fellow goblin-slayers. He offers Till a quick nod of well-done as he wipes the dark humanoid blood from his blade and returns it to its scabbard. He then grabs the wrists of the horn-goblin and begins to drag it back...

"Let us get them out of sight," the elf details as he drags that one back out of view from anyone that might look down the ramp from above. Once finished, he reequips his bow and arrow and takes up a fire position at the bottom of the ramp.

OOC: now THAT is what I call a sneaky-subterfuge-stealth-attack, good people! :P

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#76 Post by Alethan »

Till helps drag the bodies out of sight.

"If we even plan on using the quadrant as a base of operations, we'll need to move the bodies elsewhere. And soon."

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#77 Post by ToniXX »

Bruard helps with moving the bodies as well. Then he cleans off his mace and prepares for the next fight.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#78 Post by dmw71 »

"We go up now?" Jeloon wonders aloud.

Without waiting for a response, she starts heading towards the ramp almost turning her question rhetorical, but stops at the base to look back and make sure she's not foiling any unspoken plans of her companions.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#79 Post by Alethan »

"One of them is likely to have a horn," Till warns, rushing to catch up to the half-orc fighter. "We'll need to catch that one by surprise. Or take it out first.

Want me to try and scale the wall from the outside? Or... anyone have any other ideas?"

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#80 Post by dmw71 »

"Maybe no horn?" Jeloon says, still holding her position at the bottom of the ramp. "But surprise not me thing." she admits, lightly tapping the blade of her bloodied longsword against her chain mail armor resulting in a clinking sound. Now, in a more controlled state of mind, she wipes her blade clean. "What if you fall?" she wonders at the suggestion of scaling the wall. "Make horn, if there is one, seem like no big deal if that happen, no?"

"Me thinks we just go up,"
she starts, but quickly offers to let the halfling go first if stealth is a concern.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Return to “Legacy of the Unknown - Pacesetter Games Playtest (OSRIC module)”