Action Thread 20

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Action Thread 20

#81 Post by ToniXX »

Bruard speaks: I say let the halfling go up the ladder in stealth, to get an idea of what's up there. We stick close behind, at the ready to ascend the ladder and take out any enemies.
He then looks for the horn that was in the hands of the large goblin, and carefully packs it away once he finds it.
"Sir, our research shows that the bird is equal to or greater than the word."

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#82 Post by Argennian »

Yosef stands vigil off to the side of the ramp with bow and readied arrow to hand and trained on the ladder. Although giddy to the gills with excitement that the ruse worked and that they got away with dispatching the humanoid scum as quickly and quietly as they did, he stifles his unelf-like smile and dons his businesslike visage once again.

The fighter/mage listens to his companions and considers the options discussed before offering his two mental coppers. "We could lay an ambush and simply wait for them to come down from above when the sun rises? Likely we would stand a better chance of catching them by surprise..."

OOC: Ron, based on the last few days of our uber-astute spying on the goblin sector from Melissa's slice, what is the normal protocol for their guard shift changes at dawn that we've observed? Did we ever see any other goblins climb up to relieve the ones up top or did they appear to simply climb down when the sun came up? Also wanted to confirm if this happens before or prior to the gobbies that will be coming in from their compound sometime around/after dawn.
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)
Brok Sterling: Human Assassin3 (ToniXX's Incursion into Newiron OSRIC Playtest)
Tanik Tremwoodak: Dwarf Cleric3 (Dave's 1e Skype Game)

DM: home-brew OSRIC "A New Hope to the West" campaign

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#83 Post by rredmond »

New goblins come across the elevated walkway and old goblins depart. Sometimes it's only four, but most of the time twelve goblins replace twelve goblins.
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#84 Post by dmw71 »

Jeloon begins to fidget as she tightens and loosens her grip on the hilt of her sword. "Good plan, me sure," she says to the elf, "But me no want to sit and wait that long."

"Goblin should fear us, not the other way around."
she finishes impatiently.
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#85 Post by Alethan »

Till nods, "I agree. We can't wait for the change in guards. We need to finish them off quickly and move on to the others. Let me see if I can sneak up the ladder and get a look at the situation."

If all agree, Till will attempt to silently climb the ladder to get a peak at the situation on top of the tower.
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#86 Post by ToniXX »

Bruard stands near the base of the ladder, alert with mace and shield in hand, watching for any enemies, while Till quietly ascends the ladder.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#87 Post by rredmond »

Day 22 – Pre-Dawn Sortie -- 6:36 am

The party discusses strategy. Then Till takes a quick peek at the top of the ladder. You can see his legs though his body disappears into the darkness, though the ladder looks rusty and squeaky the halfling makes no noise going up. He sits watching.

We'll see what Ethan wants to do in PMs. When he's done, he'll come back to this thread.

HPs: Jeloon - 29/29; Till - 36/36; Yosef - 13/13; Bruard - 19/19
WIH: Till: short sword (15' radius light); Jeloon: Longsword (20' radius light), shield; Yosef: long sword; Bruard: Mace, shield; Van: +1 ogre spear, shield; Eyman: +1 Battle Axe, shield
MO: 1- Till; 2- Yosef; 3- Jeloon; 4- Bruard BEHIND: Eyman and Van; Ancor, Rosin, DAMs
Consumables: Lantern - (Bruard) continual light 60' radius; Torch, 50 minutes (Yosef), 40' radius; Torch, 60 minutes (off), 40' radius.
--------Spells: Yosef: 1-2/2, 2-1/1; Bruard: 1-5/5, 2-4/4

This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#88 Post by Alethan »

Quiet as a mouse, Till climbs back down after a few minutes of observation.

He shares the following information with the others...

* There's a table almost right in the center of this "rooftop" guard station.
* one of the guys walks the perimeter of the roof top, looking mainly outward
* Mostly it's four goblins, sitting and talking at the table.
* They don't seem too concerned about attack, but also seem less tired than the guys on the first floor
* It looks like the leader has a horn strapped across his chest, similar to the one on the first floor

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#89 Post by Argennian »

Not wanting to argue tactics nor offer additional poltroonish estimations, Yosef simply nods businesslike and whispers back. "Best take the one with the horn first. I'll cover the walkway..."

Keeping his bow and readied arrow to hand, the chided fighter/mage moves over to the far side of the open doorway. Staying in the shadows the best he can, he'll keep his elf eyes trained on the far end of the walkway.
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#90 Post by dmw71 »

Jeloon looks at the elf with the bow. "Maybe you shoot leader before we go up?" she wonders aloud. "You shoot. We follow behind... quickly." she says with a toothy grin.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#91 Post by Argennian »

dmw71 wrote:Jeloon looks at the elf with the bow. "Maybe you shoot leader before we go up?" she wonders aloud. "You shoot. We follow behind... quickly." she says with a toothy grin.
Not wanting the goblins above to hear them discussing the situation, Yosef moves back over and replies in a hushed voice. "Since I cannot shoot the one with the horn from here without getting him to come to the opening, nor from the walkway without getting him to show himself at the outer edge of the tower roof, it seems that you are asking me to ascend the ladder in metal armor, get up top and reequip my bow without attracting attention and being attacked, and then shoot the one with the horn before he or his fellow scum can react?" Yosef asks matter-of-factually.

Although he does not want to insult his fellow fighter, he feels it best he be honest in his tactical assessments, regardless of whether or not they appear pusillanimous or unpopular with her or the others. "Without some kind of diversion or magics to conceal any one of us that tried, save maybe Till, it would seem a risky attempt at best, even against goblins. Of course, that is merely my opinion. I do not wish to stand in yours or anyone else's way. If you cannot wait for them to descend, I will not try and stop you..."

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#92 Post by ToniXX »

Bruard listens to Yosef. Before the half-orc can reply, he speaks up Perhaps I could ascend the ladder, metal armor and all, with the attention of casting hold person upon the goblin with the horn. I then step aside and allow you to quickly ascend and hack the other beasts to pieces. I also like the idea of waiting for them to descend at their change of shift, but we probably don't have that kind of time. What say you, friends?

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#93 Post by Alethan »

OOC: Ron, for clarification, we started this around midnight, right? And shift change isn't until dawn? So we'd have to wait a good 6 or more hours if we waited for that to happen. Lot can happen in that time.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#94 Post by rredmond »

Hmm, I thought the idea was an hour before dawn to set out. Which makes shift change only 30-45 minutes away.
We can retcon that though if need be. But I was under the impression you were hitting them right before shift change.

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#95 Post by Argennian »

rredmond wrote:Hmm, I thought the idea was an hour before dawn to set out. Which makes shift change only 30-45 minutes away.
We can retcon that though if need be. But I was under the impression you were hitting them right before shift change.
OOC: No, that's exactly correct, Ron. We launched the pre-dawn sortie about 1 hour before dawn, iirc. So I actually thought we were a lot closer to dawn time-wise, more like a within a turn (10 minutes) at best, based on previous estimations.

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#96 Post by Alethan »

OOC: Sorry, my mistake. In that case, Till is fine with waiting for the guard change.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#97 Post by rredmond »

Actually I have in my notes that the sun comes up at 7a. Which makes you about 26 minutes (give or take) from there.

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#98 Post by ToniXX »

rredmond wrote:Actually I have in my notes that the sun comes up at 7a. Which makes you about 26 minutes (give or take) from there.
Oh yeah, if that's the case, I say we wait too.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#99 Post by dmw71 »

As she listens to Yosef admonish her plan, Jeloon finds her hand reaching for the bow strapped to her own back -- but is intercepted by Bruard. She accepts the the plan to wait for the changing of the guard, but is definitely ready to release some pent up frustrations on some hapless goblins.
-- Project --
-- DM --

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#100 Post by rredmond »

Just a reminder that the roof goblins may come down, but it's just as, if not more, likely that there will be goblins headed your way on the walkway.
Also, you've got Van and Eyman waiting.
Other than that, you are on the second level right now. Anything else before awaiting the changing of the guard?

Return to “Legacy of the Unknown - Pacesetter Games Playtest (OSRIC module)”