Out of Character Banter

Blackrazor
Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

Re: Out of Character Banter

#141 Post by Alethan »

Gibbering is not so eager to die just yet...

But we must each make our own decisions in the matter.
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

Merctime
Tracker
Tracker

#142 Post by Merctime »

Agreed! Sorrows doesn't want to die either. I just felt the need to make that statement 'around the table', as it were. Not too keen on bringing attention to our whole group by simply acting, even if Sorrows is Chaotic (He is, I'm not :P ). Again, just tossing it out there! Sorrows might try some diversionary action if I can think of something to attract the big beast away from the injured archer.

Blackrazor
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#143 Post by Blackrazor »

Not a mandate, an point of view

Why discuss actions here. Your characters do not currently have a disembodied venue to plan actions. Just do what you think is best for your character.

Al discussed a game where everything was PMed by players to the DM so the metagame is removed to some extant.

I am not advocating this, but thinking about the meta a bit.

Do not think this a criticism, just an observation. You may use this space as you all see fit, even action planning if that is your wish.

Remember that this encounter was rolled with real dice, with real consequences and was not planned out ahead of time. I had hoped that the archer would be in far better shape myself, but that is not the case as the bear rolled an 18 and 19 to hit and then rolled a d8 and d10 for damage...yikes.

What your characters do or do not do will change things. I have a plan, but it is easily taken in other directions. Do not fear to do as you see fit. The world is there to meet it as best it can :)

I am so proud to have you as my players.

Looking forward to how this plays out.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#144 Post by Alethan »

Way back when I first started doing PbP gaming, I liked having the IC threads for the actual game and the OOC thread for banter and the Strategy thread for planning things out.

Over the years, I've pretty much done away with doing things that cause game delay. That includes:
- responses in the current IC thread that do not further the progress of the game, like where someone just makes a quip or response that adds nothing to activity or IC discussion of situation at hand
- OOC or external strategy discussion

I do the first because I like to advance the game as much as possible. There is one game I'm in where the DM only checks the threads for an hour or so between updates, and he doesn't update the thread daily. If you don't get a good post in before he reads the threads, and your thread doesn't help advance the game, then the game doesn't get advanced that day. It's very frustrating, because the game is such an amazing one and there are so many things going on and I want to see them through. So I try and make my posts count, as it were.

In games I've been in with the strategy threads, it can sometimes bog a game down for a week or more with people going back and forth with what they think we should do and what they want to do and what they want other people to do... and then, more often than not, people don't do any of it right, anyway and it didn't matter that so much time was lost trying to plan it out! Or the NPCs/monsters react in some way that completely thwarts the plans. A whole week lost for naught.

I try to take a more realistic approach to my fantasy gaming, if you'll pardon the dichotomy. In a real-time situation, the characters wouldn't have time to sort out who was doing what. If actions for a situation weren't discussed ahead of time, then it's best to just go with whatever you want to do (or whatever you think your character would do, is really how I try and approach things).

I'm not opposed to using the occasional OOC/spoiler comment (spoiler if it is in the IC thread; I'm a big fan of keeping only IC action/discussion in the IC threads as much as possible, so I really try to take OOC comments to the OOC thread when possible), as long as it is brief and doesn't involve detailed strategy discussion.

Certainly this is all just my opinion and how I run my characters. Everyone should feel free to play how they see fit. But in the really good games I play in, I prefer as little as possible of time-wasting discussions and posts that don't advance the game.

Merctime
Tracker
Tracker

#145 Post by Merctime »

I apologize, fellows... I do understand that this is a meta-game scenario as our characters are in a point of not really being able to speak to each other for fear of being noticed. While I do understand that, I'm still pretty new to the PbP venue of gaming. I concede to others experience for that! So, please scratch my last posts here and I beg your pardon :) See you in game!

Blackrazor
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#146 Post by Blackrazor »

Do not take it like that Merc :), so many games - the vast majority have huge planning sessions in OOC or a similar forum.

You guys like planning - cool no problem. It is all good.
You guys want to fly by the seat of your pants sans meta - cool. It is all good.
Want to take actions to PMs - cool. It s all good,

Al's comments are from his heart and I too have seen games bogged down by meta gaming, but in a 4e pbp game meta was very essential. So it's not bad, it is what it is.

The pace so far feels good. I hope it is. Please do not be afraid to be your character. There are always consequences, good and bad, but isn't that part of the fun of roleplaying.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#147 Post by Alethan »

What BR said.

If everyone played the game the same way, it'd be pretty damned boring. Play what works best for you. Or, better yet, play a few different ways to better find out what works best for you. THEN play what works best for you.

RPGing is a very personal thing for many people. Everyone has their own style and way of doing things. The key to having a good game isn't finding five people with the exact same play style. That's be terribly hard to do. It is to find people who can work together, regardless of style.

I was just putting out there what my gaming style is so it's clearly stated. Doesn't mean I'm not adaptive and it doesn't mean I'm not open to playing with people with other play styles.

I firmly believe 75% of all life's problems are related to communication - either mis-communication or a complete lack of it. So when possible, I try to state things as clearly as possible. Sometimes it comes across as abrupt, though it generally isn't intended that way.

Merctime
Tracker
Tracker

#148 Post by Merctime »

Guys, for the record... I didn't take it 'badly'... It was more like, listening to other people speak, and coming to a realization. And that's ok with me :)

I'm enjoying the game and looking forward to playing more! I didn't mean to come off like I was licking my wounds or something... I just wanted to intone to you all that I'm just fine with backing off and going about something differently. See you in game!

Blackrazor
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#149 Post by Blackrazor »

Enjoy your labor day folks. Have fun.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#150 Post by Alethan »

Was doing just that until the youngling jerked his head back as I was leaning forward to push him on the swing and I misjudged the space between us.

His (very dense and solid) head connected with my nose with a crunch.

So now I'm looking over an ice pack to type...

Blackrazor
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#151 Post by Blackrazor »

Yikes! I hope things fare better.

Merctime
Tracker
Tracker

#152 Post by Merctime »

Geez! Glad he is OK, but I hope you get well pretty quickly, Alethan!

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#153 Post by Grognardsw »

Hope you feel better.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#154 Post by Alethan »

Think it's all good.

Was worried for a bit because I've had two major sinus operations (My first ENT gave me an award for being the worst sinus infection case she'd ever worked on) and I've no desire to see a third. Recovery from a sinus operation is the opposite of fun.

But there is no bruising and the swelling wend down pretty quickly. Hopefully not a big deal.

Blackrazor
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#155 Post by Blackrazor »

Things of note

1 - I hope you heal fast and stay healthy Al
2 - Al, you have not posted an action yet, so I am assuming (yikes) that you are still doing as you last posted - Gibs is taking a wait and see approach. Am I correct? If you want to act please go ahead.
3 - New job is super mega hard. Like head implosion difficult. I may be on and off over the next two weeks as I get up to speed and meet my deadlines.

Smiles everyone smiles :)

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#156 Post by Alethan »

Ah, apologies. Was just assuming the non-post would be read as continuation of previous action (i.e. wait and see). Will update.

Merctime
Tracker
Tracker

#157 Post by Merctime »

Gentlemen, I apologize but my ability to post is going to be spotty until tomorrow evening. I'll try to check in at work in the morning but that's going to be iffy. I'll get back as soon as I can, but if need be, please play sorrows as a man of caution and only supportive in combat as opposed to a front-line glory seeker. Might not need to as I'll be regularly posting again soon, but just in case!

Blackrazor
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#158 Post by Blackrazor »

Me too, work has been a bear.

Merctime
Tracker
Tracker

#159 Post by Merctime »

Well back up and ready to go here.

Blackrazor
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#160 Post by Blackrazor »

Folks as an aside, do not expect me to declare combat and initiive... you will attack or be attacked accordingly based on your actions. I feel the whole, roll initivie combat starts vibe to be too inorganic.

I hope this does not bother you. Please comment if you have reservations.

Return to “Carcosa (LotFP and S&W)”