Out of Character Banter

Blackrazor
Blackrazor
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Out of Character Banter

#1 Post by Blackrazor »

The forum for respectful discussion about our game, or other topics of interest.

Blackrazor
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Re: Out of Character Banter

#2 Post by Blackrazor »

I sent a PM to Merctime, but no response yet. I am not sure he logs in here much. Dogma, as he stated in his in test to join, is on and off over the summer. I am going to assume we are mostly cool with using our own dice if we have them, or the dice roller of needed.

Here is the basic idea regarding character generation.

3d6 roll down the line S I W C D CH
You maybe reroll one roll under 9 taking the highest.

If the character appears hopeless,we can discuss rerolling. I have no interest in seeing you folks run guys who can barely walk and think.

Character names on Carcosa are different. Rather than Ivlenaril Ekskayvar or Hrothgar, or something along those lines, names are like titles.

Splendid Lord in Chains
The Darkness that Consumes
Mighty Axe of Many Metals
Left hand of Swiftness
Silent Hunter

These are poor examples but hopefully gave you an idea.

2 classes - Fighter and Socerer
All Sorcerers are Fighters but risk life,limb and sanity to the study of the occult.

Hit Points - 8 at start plus con bonus which maxes at +3. Lets give you a fighting chance.

You maybe begin with 3 weapons or 2 weapons and a shield a suit of armor of light or medium make. Armor could be piecemeal and be made of chiton, carapace, leather, or maybe even a scale mail of metal. You would have a pack of some kind, flint and tinder, a bowl, some torches, dried food. If you want or need something else, ask and we will see if we can make it happen.

No money as in minted coins. There are riches to be had for sure, but it is a barter economy. So a good charisma helps a lot.

Sorcerers may have an oddity. That's a chat with the GM.
if you want a chance at psioncs please ask me. I will roll for it and inform you if your character possesses the talent.

Sorcerers can learn spells beyond the standard ones cornering summoning, binding and coercing alien powers/gods. These spells must be discovered during play.

Fighters only may gain the ability to subclass - it's a mini boon that separates one fighter from the next. I picked the up from Dyson Logos S&W houserules.

Fighters and Sorcerers also gain the ability to earn extra attacks as they increase in level though fighters will have an increased crit range offered to them as they level.

Questions, concerns, please voice them here so we can all be on the same page when the character generation thread goes up.

Thanks

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#3 Post by Alethan »

What are the subclass options and when does that kick into effect? Or where can I read these rule mods?
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

Blackrazor
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#4 Post by Blackrazor »

Fighter Subclasses - available at at Level 1

1. Hunter - Bushcraft 3 in 6 chance, Stealth 3 in 6
2. Swashbuckler - +1 AC in chain or lighter armour
3. Hulk - + 2 melee damage
4. Berzerker - Can frenzy in battle 1/day: +2 to hit and damage -2 to AC. Damage increases every 3 levels by +1 so 4 +3, 7 +4, 10 +5. Immune to fear while Berzerk.
5. Archer - +1 to hit and damage with bows
6. Soldier - +1 AC in heavy armor, +1 damage with Melee weapons
7. Cutthroat- +1 AC in leather armour, +1 on damage multiplier on backstabs, Stealth 3 in 6
8. Mounted Warrior- +1 to hit and damage while mounted, good judge of domesticated riding beasts (roll mount hit points twice, take the better)
9. Brave - +4 to AC when wearing no armor. - may use a shield
10. Sentinel - Shield gains an extra +1 to AC, can give up the shields bonus to grant a ally next to the Sentinel +1 AC.

Your thoughts?

Blackrazor
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#5 Post by Blackrazor »

Fighter/Sorcerer extra attacks with melee weapons

Level 5 2 Attacks
Level 10 3 Attacks

Fighter only crit bonus

Level 5 19-20
Level 10 18-20

Blackrazor
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#6 Post by Blackrazor »

I think these small additions will help characters survive a bit longer on Carcosa.

What do you all say?

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by Grognardsw »

Sounds good. I'll do bezerker.

Merctime
Tracker
Tracker

#8 Post by Merctime »

Hello everyone, nice to meet you. I apologize for taking so long to get here; Entirely my fault :(

I might go sorceror; I don't know, never played Carcosa before! A Fighting-man would be really fun, too, though... Hmm, names...

If I go Sorceror, perhaps my name will be "Sorrow of Vale and Mire"

If I go with a Fighting-man, maybe I'll go with "Hymnal of Ringing Steel"

Is this stuff to uh, flowery? haha.

Blackrazor
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#9 Post by Blackrazor »

I think the names are amazingly cool!!!! Well done! Very well done Merctime.

As for class, Sorcerers really are fighters most of the time mechanically. I have added the ability to cast spells beyond those to summon and bind elder things, but each of these new spells will have its own unique mechanic and they are rare.

Do not get me wrong when sorcerers perform their 1st sacrifice and get hold of an elder "it" the game gets very interesting.

I picture sorcerers sort of like Indiana Jones types, hunting down knowledge everywhere in order to obtain the ritual instructions, materials, locations, and sacrifices to power the sanity warping magics.

I also see them fascinated by technology, where others may fear it. I fell many on Carcosa believe that technology is magic.

Merctime
Tracker
Tracker

#10 Post by Merctime »

Well, now that I have taken the time to try and ingratiate myself with some people here that I let down around a year ago, I think I am ready to game.

Glad you like the names, BZ... Considering you're ideas on the Sorcerors here in Carcosa, I just may play one.
Not entirely sure I want to support the old ones, though... Are you ok with a Neutral Sorceror? I cannot for the life of me recall if I just read if Sorceror's can be Lawful or not! :P

If they can be, he will be Lawful, and will in fact be called "Sorrows of Vale and Mire". I am unsure as to what type of man he will be as of yet. I kind of want to shy away from the Jale men, as that kind of seems like a gimme from what I am reading. He will be desirous of technology insofar as to reduce the sadness in the land from the chaotic forces that bend it's natural beauty. Haw, never thought I'd play a green peace activist :lol:

This is of course considering that the forces of chaos are in fact changing the land in some way; magical, ethereal, or scientific teraforming etc... But if this isn't a part of your game, his name will simply state that he is a person who attempts to keep the sorrows of the wide green expanses at bay through magic/technology. This stuff ok?
EDIT: Put the bulk of my out-dated initial character idea in spoilers to save forum space
Last edited by Merctime on Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

Blackrazor
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#11 Post by Blackrazor »

Sorcerers use the magic of the long dead snake men to summon and bind Old Ones to their will. This would make one in league with the Old Ones and thus Chaotic.

Here is the alignment post from Carcosa

Alignment on the planet of Carcosa is defined solely by one's stance towards the Great Old Ones. Nothing else is considered. All behaviors, including the most noble and altruistic as well as the most vile and despicable, are found amongst all three alignments. Similarity of alignments does not necessarily indicate friendship, and opposite alignments does not necessarily indicate enmity. For example, nothing is unusual in a lawful man and a chaotic man joining forces to defeat a lawful foe. Law is the alignment of those who oppose the Great Old Ones. This opposition need not be (and is usually not) active. If, however, an Old One were to be released from imprisonment, those of lawful alignment would fight against it. Neutrality is the alignment of those who neither oppose nor serve the Great Old Ones. If an Old One were to be released from its prison, those of neutral alignment would simply seek to avoid it. Chaos is the alignment of the Great Old Ones and their servants. If an Old One were to be released from its imprisonment, its servants would aid it.

Now, I could see a Lawful Sorcerer, who may try to obtain banish spells/rituals to get rid of Old Ones, but they would be rare and a huge target.

Neutral Sorcerers would not likely exist, if they don't really care about the Old Ones and would rather avoid them, they would not be Sorcerers.

Technology may be considered magic, and a fighter could be considered a witch or sorcerer just from the use of technology he or she uncovered and figured out how to use. The fighter would not BE a sorcerer, but may be considered one.

Blackrazor
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#12 Post by Blackrazor »

The world is not a green paradise, it's more like Dark Sun - a wasteland - wasted by magics and technology over the ages. There are of course areas of farming and trees, but these areas are more rare and fought over.

Your knowledge of the world would not go back to a time of green lushness. History is largely unknown, save for local tales about local events.

Carcosa is primitive, 6th century england at it's best, the tribes of King Kong just about spot on.

Technology isn't technology, your characters do not know what technology is, you guys barely forge metal. They would know items of power exist that are strange or magical. Sorcerers may discern that these items use different magics than the ones they use to summon old ones, but Arthur C. Clarke quote on technology rules the day - magic and technology are indistinguisable.

Carcosa is less Thundarr, though it can get there, and more stone age fantasy in a way.

Each vision of the world is different of course, mine borders on men beginning to crawl from tribal savagery as they try to survive.

Blackrazor
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#13 Post by Blackrazor »

I love the creativity Marctine, please do not take my words as moratorium. We can work on something, if you so desire.

Merctime
Tracker
Tracker

#14 Post by Merctime »

Considering your words, may I present...

.~-= Sorrows of Vale and Mire =-~.
Race: Blue Man
Alignment : Chaotic

Class & Levels: Sorceror 1
Experience Points: 0
XP Bonus: + ? % (unsure here)

Appearance
Aged, whispy milk-white hair with a bit of salt and pepper to it rides long upon a gaunt, drawn face. Sorrows of Vale and Mire does not smile. Skin the consistency of slightly cured leather, yet light of complexion, and the color of fast-moving rivers. He stands a few inches taller than some other men. He is not heavy or light, having a rangy build to him; Lean, and not bulbous but as firmly muscled as any other fellow. He generally wears things woven of the edge of the waters; Reeds, long stout fronds, or large drapings of river-lilly leaves. He will mix this with the textile cloths of civility when he has the opportunity to wear such finery.

Abilities
STR : 9
INT : 14 (+1)
WIS : 6 (-1 save vs mind-influencing magical effects)
CON : 14 (+1 hp/hd)
DEX : 12
CHA : 11

Armour Class: 15
Hit Dice: 1
Hit Points: 9 (+1 constitution bonus)

Attack Bonus: +2

Saving Throws:
Poison: 12
Wands & Rays: 13
Paralysis & Petrification: 13
Breath Weapon: 15
Spells: 14
Note: -1 saves vs mind-influencing magical effects

Equipment
-Breastplate, Vambraces, and Greaves of soft Mire-beetle carapace
-Helm of giant vale garfish scales, with sinew chinstrap
-Necklace of vale garfish sinew, bearing shiny rocks and bits of polished coral tied into it

-Broadsword of hardwood, edged with garfish teeth; Handwrap of bandercat-skin
-Shortbow, rimmed and studded with various shells and bits of lake-coral
-Quiver of woven maiden's hair, holding 20 arrows

-Stitched bladder of a giant vale garfish (or suitable strange creature; functions as backpack)
-Flint and tinder
-Glazed ceramic bowl (decorated with ritual scenes performed by deep ones)
-4 willow-wood torches
-Week's worth of dried cam-cam berries, dawnthistle nuts and jerked mire-hog meat
-Deck of waxed river-weed playing cards, showing women in various states of misvirtue
-Pressed wood-pulp scroll rolled upon willow-wood scroll handle, detailing "The many blasphemies of the illuminated madness and turmoil of endless frothing waves"
-Wind-chime of beaten brass and polished coral, bearing carven motif's of the Elder ones venturing forth from the black gulf. This he holds in his left hand at all times when not employing his shortbow.

Wealth
None yet!

Spells
Hmm..

Hirelings/Retainers
I'll update as needed
EDIT: I've placed the character sheet in spoilers, as it's quite large, to save forum space as above.

Also, I've borrowed the character sheet code/format from Waysoftheearth, of OD&D proboards/Immersive Ink/Delving Deeper fame.
Last edited by Merctime on Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:58 am, edited 3 times in total.

Blackrazor
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#15 Post by Blackrazor »

Wisdom - would be mind influencing magic, and that is a departure from the LotFP rules.

I want folks to know that Merctime's character is just awesome. Amazing detail.

As I had stated earlier, I had wanted the players to all be from the same racial color stock, but if you all want to depart from that, I think I can make it work.

Please let me know, as it will certainly change the adventure.

Blackrazor
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#16 Post by Blackrazor »

Oh the AC would be 15 not quite Chain Mail which is 16. We will use ascending AC as per LotFP.

Please note all fighters/sorcerers have a base +2 to hit as per LotFP. Fighters would add subclass goodness to this base, if applicable.

Merctime
Tracker
Tracker

#17 Post by Merctime »

Blackrazor wrote:Wisdom - would be mind influencing magic, and that is a departure from the LotFP rules.
Thank you! So I believe that Intelligence offers no bonus in that area now, I presume? I'll make both adjustments :)
Blackrazor wrote:I want folks to know that Merctime's character is just awesome. Amazing detail.
Eh, I am going to be embarrassed :oops: But, thank you, BZ!
Blackrazor wrote:As I had stated earlier, I had wanted the players to all be from the same racial color stock, but if you all want to depart from that, I think I can make it work.

Please let me know, as it will certainly change the adventure.
If my choice is bothersome for anyone/everyone, it's an easy fix. I just picked one, heh. His 'Blue Man' race isn't set in stone. Especially if it will change the game!

Regarding the AC and the bonus to hit, I'll add those also... Thanks again!

Blackrazor
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#18 Post by Blackrazor »

Great stuff Merctime! Sadly bed calls, as I have to wake up early to change street parking, then drive some family about for a bit. I can not wait to see what others come up with.

I get this feeling, that this is going to be great. Man, I sound like Flounder from Animal House!

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by Grognardsw »

In progress:

Blood Skald of Doom
The Dour Dirge of the North
(Whose Secret True Name is Kane Wind Breath, Ancestor to MacMorrissey of the Silver Discs)  
Reaver, Roamer, Bezerker

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#20 Post by Alethan »

What color did you have in mind, BR? I'm fine with all of us being the same colour. My only issue with "blue" is that I keep alternating between picturing smurfs and the Blue Man performing group. ;)

Working on character sheet stuff. Used RL dice at home over the weekend for the rolls, but apparently my Carcosa rules .PDF is only on my work PC, so I didn't have any of that available. I'll fix that today.

Do you want to create a Character thread for people to post their character sheets in? (I could do it, but I don't like stepping on DM toes, so I figured I'd just suggest it. :) )
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

Return to “Carcosa (LotFP and S&W)”