The OOC Tavern

mb.
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

The OOC Tavern

#1 Post by mb. »

Feel free to post anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, that isn't in character, here!

Spartakos
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Re: The OOC Tavern

#2 Post by Spartakos »

Is this a good place for questions about the game, then?

1.) When something says "+ ability" (the way carrying capacity is +Str), does that mean add your entire score, or your bonus? For carrying capacity, I followed the lead of the other players...but if armor and sword only weigh 1 each, that seems like a lot of capacity.

2.) Just to be clear, I get all the starting fighter moves, correct (not just my choice of 1)?

3.) One of my options for starting gear was 22 coins...can I spend those before play begins, or do I just have a pocket full of spark from my last escapade?

4.) Would anyone (player or DM) object if Bedwyr were evil? He's not evil in a "complete villain" sort of way, but on the fighter character sheet, it suggests that evil would "kill a defenseless or surrendered enemy"...if Bedwyr considers you an enemy, he's likely to kill you any way he can (although he would take his allies' opinions into consideration, when it comes to taking prisoners). But he's not apt to kill random people or innocents or anything. I envision him similar to Jayne Cobb, from "Firefly" if anyone is familiar with that character...
"I'll kill a man in a fair fight...or if I think he's gonna start a fair fight. Or if he bothers me. Or if there's a woman. Or if I'm getting paid. Mostly when I'm getting paid."

mb.
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#3 Post by mb. »

Perfect place for questions Spartakos. :)

1. If a move says "roll+STR" that's 2d6 + your strength modifier, not your strength stat. So if you have a strength of 17, it's +2.

2. Yup, all starting moves, so one based on race, and Bend Bars, Lift Gates, Armored, and Signature Weapon.

3. If you don't want to buy anything too crazy, sure, consider it bought.

4. The move written under the alignment is one of the ways you accrue XP. So if Bedwyr was evil and he killed a defenseless or surrendered enemy, he'd get XP for it. It means an act like that defines his character, so he'd also necessarily be an unpleasant fellow in other ways. I'm generally not crazy about evil characters, because they tend not to work very well in groups. Maybe neutral would be better and he's occasionally rough with prisoners?

jbinc
Runner
Runner

#4 Post by jbinc »

FYI, your max HP is +Constitution (the big number) not +CON (the small number). Off the top of my head I think that's the only rule that uses the big number as a modifier. (Note your load is determined by your +STR, not your strength. Poor old Dunwick can carry 9+STR - since my STR is -1, he can only carry 8 weight!)

mb.
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#5 Post by mb. »

jbinc wrote:FYI, your max HP is +Constitution (the big number) not +CON (the small number). Off the top of my head I think that's the only rule that uses the big number as a modifier. (Note your load is determined by your +STR, not your strength. Poor old Dunwick can carry 9+STR - since my STR is -1, he can only carry 8 weight!)
Thanks for that Joe! I should've mentioned it.

Everyone should know that, although I've read the DW rules and played a couple games, Joe's the real expert and I've asked him to chime in when necessary. ;)

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Pulpatoon »

Good to know! Character sheet corrected. recorrected. unrecorrected.
Last edited by Pulpatoon on Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mb.
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#7 Post by mb. »

Load is the only exception that comes to mind, but the way to recognise the difference is:
  • If it says +STR, add your modifier, e.g. +2
  • If it says +Strength, add the stat itself, e.g. +17

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by Pulpatoon »

Now I'm confused. Is Load based on Strength or STR?

mb.
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#9 Post by mb. »

Ooops, sorry! Load is based on Strength.

Spartakos
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#10 Post by Spartakos »

mb. wrote: 4. The move written under the alignment is one of the ways you accrue XP. So if Bedwyr was evil and he killed a defenseless or surrendered enemy, he'd get XP for it. It means an act like that defines his character, so he'd also necessarily be an unpleasant fellow in other ways. I'm generally not crazy about evil characters, because they tend not to work very well in groups. Maybe neutral would be better and he's occasionally rough with prisoners?
Okay, neutral it is...I'll tone back his personality a bit and play up his whimsical side. It's not that he likes hurting people (though he does like fighting)...it's more that he's pragmatic, and doesn't especially care about other people most of the time.

mb.
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#11 Post by mb. »

Pulpatoon wrote:Now I'm confused. Is Load based on Strength or STR?
No, actually I'm confused. Sorry about that.

Load is your class base+STR, so in your case 7-1, so 6.

HP is your class base HP+Constitution, so in your case 4+12, so 16.

jbinc
Runner
Runner

#12 Post by jbinc »

Regarding alignment: in Dungeon World, alignment moves can shift over time. From the book:

"Alignment can, and will, change. Usually such a change comes about as a gradual move toward a decisive moment. [...] In some cases a player character may switch alignment moves while still keeping the same alignment. This reflects a smaller shift, one of priority instead of a wholesale shift in thinking. They simply choose a new move for the same alignment from below and mention why their character now sees this as important."

So, a neutral fighter starts with "defeat a worthy opponent". Depending on the fiction, that might shift to the also-neutral "Defeat a personally important foe", which might be closer to the Jayne archetype you mentioned anyway?

KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#13 Post by KingOfCowards »

mb. wrote:
Pulpatoon wrote:Now I'm confused. Is Load based on Strength or STR?
No, actually I'm confused. Sorry about that.

Load is your class base+STR, so in your case 7-1, so 6.

HP is your class base HP+Constitution, so in your case 4+12, so 16.
I think I got it now. I still have much to read I'm afraid, but I'll catch up eventually.

mb.
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#14 Post by mb. »

Don't stress about learning the rules. We've passed through the rulesy part of character generation, and as we go through the story, I'll introduce the relevant rules as we go.

mb.
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#15 Post by mb. »

Great stuff guys! You're coming up with some rich stuff in character generation, and I'm loving it. :)

I've created a "World" thread, to note and embellish some of the things you've brought up. As we go I'll add more for everyone's reference. Have a look: viewtopic.php?f=134&t=2872

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by Pulpatoon »

Lookin' good!

Spartakos
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#17 Post by Spartakos »

I am camping with my wife's family for the 4th, and probably won't get a 'real' post up until tomorrow (this is on my iPhone, already down to 55% charge).

mb.
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#18 Post by mb. »

Enjoy! And buy a car lighter phone charger. Mine's saved my life many times. :)

We might continue on a little without you and you can catch up when you're back in civilization.

mb.
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#19 Post by mb. »

Since it's an edit and not a post, you won't get a notification, so here's a heads-up: I added a map and a few details to the "World" post. Check it out.

mb.
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#20 Post by mb. »

Just to let you know guys: I'm driving back up to Denmark today, and it takes about 10 hours, so I probably won't reply much until tomorrow morning. See you then!

Return to “The Balance Shifts... (Dungeon World)”