Character generation

Kanye Westeros
Tracker
Tracker

Re: Character generation

#61 Post by Kanye Westeros »

Spartakos wrote: --Did you meet Bedwyr in Urbem, or did we perhaps meet while we were both living in the wood? Not sure how old you are. But it's possible our respective peoples might have had dealings at some point.
Aziza is about 22, I'm imagining we met in some brawl or at a party or something in Urbem, I've been living there for a year now. I think you're cool because you aren't as stuck up as most Leaf Eaters. Also, my people are from WAAAAAAAAAAY deeper into the woods than elves typically like to go. So Halfling (Ur'Kaleen) contact with elves isn't very frequent, and usually happens between druids (because they're the ones who tend to wander the deepest into the wild)
--What with the mentioning of marriage and tasting his blood...are you envisioning any kind of physical relationship? Bedwyr is a hedonist, who enjoys 'new experiences'...

If you weren't leaning that way, no problem; he got the vibe and can treat you like a carousing buddy. Maybe you bit him in a bar brawl or something. :)
The marriage mention was a joke (you're so cool I could marry you, but won't). Aziza has zero romantic interest in Bedwyr, but there's mutual respect, and appreciation. It's always nice to have someone watching your back who's as crazy as you are. Skull-kicker BFFs and drinking buddies.

Since I don't actually like the 'tasting blood' bond in a literal sense, I'm choosing a more poetic interpretation. I've been in a fight with you (probably one of many) and so we've "tasted blood" together and bonded over it. either us fighting each other, or us versus a group of other foes, whichever you think sounds cooler.

On a personal note, I actually tend to hate most of the standard bonds, but they are what they are.
--I find it hilarious (and kind of awesome) that your halfling druid (female, no less) is going to be the physically strongest character in the party.
Dude, the Ur'Kaleen may be small, but we ain't weak, with almost twice the bone and muscle density of humans, so that's probably 2.5 times what Elves have. :p

Also, as to how Aziza operates, she's very physical in the sense that she'll be running around and acting like another fighter right up until the moment she turns into a bear and eats someone's face. As contrasted against the typical druid, which is often played like a nature themed wizard
Remember, the thing about us halflings is, We fear nothing. Show me an enraged dragon, or a fierce barbarian, it matters not, I will climb it and stab it in the face for no other reason than because it is taller than me and looks like a challenge. :D

Which reminds me, I gotta buy a backup dagger once we earn some coin...
Hey yo, I'm really happy for you, and I'mma let you finish, but...WINTER IS COMING.
Aziza Faster-than-Death - The Balance Shifts
Lvl 2 Halfling Druid
HP: 19/19
Armor 1/1
XP 2/9
Animal Forms: Wolf, Bear, Badger, Elk, Eagle, Hawk, Salmon, Rat, Beaver, Cricket, Spider
Sentinel - Vanguard: Comic Book Campaign

Spartakos
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#62 Post by Spartakos »

Kanye Westeros wrote:The marriage mention was a joke (you're so cool I could marry you, but won't). Aziza has zero romantic interest in Bedwyr, but there's mutual respect, and appreciation. It's always nice to have someone watching your back who's as crazy as you are. Skull-kicker BFFs and drinking buddies.
That's cool, say no more. But keep in mind that even though Bedwyr probably has a blast partying with you, his affections probably don't actually run all that deep. Most of his relationships tend to be fairly shallow, in an emotional sense; he expects to outlive most of the people he knows (who aren't elves), so he doesn't get attached.
Since I don't actually like the 'tasting blood' bond in a literal sense, I'm choosing a more poetic interpretation. I've been in a fight with you (probably one of many) and so we've "tasted blood" together and bonded over it. either us fighting each other, or us versus a group of other foes, whichever you think sounds cooler.
Both work...and both probably happened, I'd guess. :)
On a personal note, I actually tend to hate most of the standard bonds, but they are what they are.
You are not alone. :) For instance, none of the fighter ones seem to fit as a bond for Bedwyr and Aziza.
--I find it hilarious (and kind of awesome) that your halfling druid (female, no less) is going to be the physically strongest character in the party.
Dude, the Ur'Kaleen may be small, but we ain't weak, with almost twice the bone and muscle density of humans, so that's probably 2.5 times what Elves have.[/quote]

Oh yeah, I got that...it just strikes me amusing. :)

mb.
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#63 Post by mb. »

With regards to the standard bonds, I'm perfectly happy for you to suggest one that fits.

KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#64 Post by KingOfCowards »

The more I think about it the more I like Aziza's bond that Boggs smells more like prey than hunter. It fits perfectly with his no BS, rough exterior. I'd say he smells like prey because she creeps him out; A crazy, halfling chick with WOLF eyes for gods sake.

Kanye Westeros
Tracker
Tracker

#65 Post by Kanye Westeros »

mb. wrote:With regards to the standard bonds, I'm perfectly happy for you to suggest one that fits.
Cool! I know you're wanting to stick pretty close to vanilla DW for this venture, and didn't want to push too far.
KingOfCowards wrote:The more I think about it the more I like Aziza's bond that Boggs smells more like prey than hunter. It fits perfectly with his no BS, rough exterior. I'd say he smells like prey because she creeps him out; A crazy, halfling chick with WOLF eyes for gods sake.
Yeah! I love that one.
My original thinking is that of the group, you're the one I don't know, and haven't met before. So it'll be a fun way of RPing through a typical 'Aziza first meets someone' situation where I totally come on too strong and my eyes are creepy and just 'oh god get her away from me'. Like, I've probably seen you around and seen your face in town, but our meeting in game will be the first time we talk to each other.
I also have a bond with you that you're being pursued by a spiritual threat. I don't know if you have anything in mind for it?
Hey yo, I'm really happy for you, and I'mma let you finish, but...WINTER IS COMING.
Lvl 2 Halfling Druid
Armor 1/1
XP 2/9
Animal Forms: Wolf, Bear, Badger, Elk, Eagle, Hawk, Salmon, Rat, Beaver, Cricket, Spider

KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#66 Post by KingOfCowards »

Kanye Westeros wrote: I also have a bond with you that you're being pursued by a spiritual threat. I don't know if you have anything in mind for it?
My bad, I missed that one. I thought I read in OOC tavern that it was Bedwyr being followed, but your character sheet says Boggs. If its a spiritual threat, I like the thought of a vengeful ghost. Someone he screwed over or killed during one of his capers. There are probably numerous examples of both. A more short term explanation could be whatever this gnoll-god-like-being ends up as. Boggs lifted the silver necklaces from his servants in the first place and that didn't seem to sit well.

Kanye Westeros
Tracker
Tracker

#67 Post by Kanye Westeros »

I'm down for that!
Lvl 2 Halfling Druid
Armor 1/1
XP 2/9

mb.
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#68 Post by mb. »

Even if we're not going to fully play out the bonds forming, let's think about them a bit more.

So Aziza has these bonds with Bedwyr:
1. Bedwyr ap Llewellyn has tasted my blood and I theirs. We are bound by it.
2. The Spirits spoke to me of a great danger that follows Bedwyr ap Llewellyn.

Regarding #1, we already know that you've fought with each other a few times and enjoyed it, but as you mentioned above, you've also fought each other. Tell us, either/both of you:
What did you fight over, who won, and what resentment do you still harbour?

As for #2, Aziza, tell us: how Bedwyr will die? This doesn't mean he necessarily will die this way. It's just your interpretation of whatever vague scene the Spirits showed you.

Kanye Westeros
Tracker
Tracker

#69 Post by Kanye Westeros »

I think Bedwyr and I met in bars and various bar fights in Urbem. The first fight he probably won, but it would have been a tough enough fight to earn his respect. Since then, we've been drinking buddies, and often enough at least one of us is mouthing off to someone. I don't resent him, but I do wish he'd be a little bit more committed to something, some ideal or cause (like I am the World Spirits).

I have the "chased by spirit" bond with Boggs.
It's all very vague and layered in metaphor, but the Spirits have shown me a Wolf hunting and chasing a Rabbit. The Wolf catches the rabbit, and pulls its head off, grabbing a valuable light from its body and making its head sing unnatural lullabies that lead more wolves, legions of wolves to the gates of Urbem, the lead wolf still holding the rabbits head aloft, and the head still singing that awful song.
The Spirits have shown me Boggs is the one being chased, past the point of all endurance, like the rabbit from a predator.
Boggs was saying he might've been pursued by a ghost or spirit due to the failure of a previous job, I'd imagine whatever he stole would be the 'light' and perhaps the rabbit stumbled on some big cult working with dark spirits, or maybe some kind of plan for spirits attacking Urbem, I don't know. And the singing could be as simple as him giving up information, or they could literally be keeping Boggs' head for something, either way, we should all do everything we can to keep Boggs' head on his shoulders, yeah?
Lvl 2 Halfling Druid
Armor 1/1
XP 2/9

mb.
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#70 Post by mb. »

And the second bond? The Spirits spoke to me of a great danger that follows Bedwyr ap Llewellyn. Or did you mean Boggs there?

Kanye Westeros
Tracker
Tracker

#71 Post by Kanye Westeros »

mb. wrote:And the second bond? The Spirits spoke to me of a great danger that follows Bedwyr ap Llewellyn. Or did you mean Boggs there?
Yeah I meant Boggs there, it was originally Bedwyr, but I switched it really early on as I was developing my ideas for my backstory.

It makes sense to me that Aziza gets a vision of Boggs being pursued, and he also smells like prey being hunted, those two bonds go hand in hand in my opinion.

As for when these happen, since (technically) Aziza hasn't actually met Boggs yet, I'd imagine the vision would occur right after meeting him and the scent would be observed from then on. (so within a minute of us meeting).
Lvl 2 Halfling Druid
Armor 1/1
XP 2/9

mb.
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#72 Post by mb. »

Okay, so same question, just for Boggs: how will he die? This doesn't mean he necessarily will die this way. It's just your interpretation of whatever vague scene the Spirits showed you.

Kanye Westeros
Tracker
Tracker

#73 Post by Kanye Westeros »

mb. wrote:Okay, so same question, just for Boggs: how will he die? This doesn't mean he necessarily will die this way. It's just your interpretation of whatever vague scene the Spirits showed you.
Boggs will be hunted down by something wolflike, maybe literally wolf spirits, or wolf spirits possessing bodies in a form of lycanthrope, or more metaphorical (maybe it hunts in a pack, maybe its quiet and swift, maybe it has sharp teeth.) Whatever it is, it has Boggs' scent, and it is in hot pursuit. And the spirits tell me that if they catch him, it's gonna be bad for everyone.

If that happens they will rip Boggs to shreds, physically and spiritually (probably us along with him) and use his blood to fuel some dark rite involving the object he stole. What they do will gather obscene amounts of spiritual and arcane energy that can be used for all manner of rituals and curses (Oelle would be more suited to explaining that part.) Tbis wouldn't be any old spell, we're talking world changing levels of power here. Old style d&d Wish spell, the final act of Ghostbusters when all the ghosts get loose, a magical nuke, this would be the song that unmakes the world.

This is how Boggs would die.
Lvl 2 Halfling Druid
Armor 1/1
XP 2/9

mb.
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#74 Post by mb. »

Diabolical GM cackle. ;)

Kanye Westeros
Tracker
Tracker

#75 Post by Kanye Westeros »

mb. wrote:Diabolical GM cackle. ;)

YES
Lvl 2 Halfling Druid
Armor 1/1
XP 2/9

mb.
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#76 Post by mb. »

:lol:

So a summary of everyone's drives (I prefer this word, rather than "alignment motivations") and bonds. I've suggested bonds to Aziza for Boggs and Bedwyr, based on the discussion above. Let me know if you're all happy with these.

Bedwyr
Drive: "Defeat a worthy opponent."
Boggs owes me his life, whether he'll admit it or not.
I will help Oelle survive this adventure.
Aziza is a kindred spirit when it comes to cheerful murder. (edited)

Boggs
Drive: "Avoid detection or infiltrate a location."
Bedwyr knows one of my secrets.
Doctor Oelle knows incriminating details about me.
Aziza is a dangerous freak and can't be trusted.

Doctor Oelle
Drive: "Use magic to directly aid another."
I hope to emulate Bedwyr's heroic self sacrifice.
Bedwyr is keeping an important secret from me.
Aziza is keeping an important secret from me.

Aziza
Drive: "Eliminate an unnatural menace."
The Spirits spoke to me of a great danger that follows Boggs.
Boggs smells more like prey than hunter.
I have shown Doctor Oelle a secret rite of the Land.
Bedwyr has tasted my blood and I theirs. We are bound by it.

Kanye Westeros
Tracker
Tracker

#77 Post by Kanye Westeros »

Looks good to me
Lvl 2 Halfling Druid
Armor 1/1
XP 2/9

Spartakos
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#78 Post by Spartakos »

Kanye Westeros wrote:
mb wrote:Regarding #1, we already know that you've fought with each other a few times and enjoyed it, but as you mentioned above, you've also fought each other. Tell us, either/both of you:
What did you fight over, who won, and what resentment do you still harbour?
I think Bedwyr and I met in bars and various bar fights in Urbem. The first fight he probably won, but it would have been a tough enough fight to earn his respect. Since then, we've been drinking buddies, and often enough at least one of us is mouthing off to someone. I don't resent him, but I do wish he'd be a little bit more committed to something, some ideal or cause (like I am the World Spirits).
(from Bedwyr's point of view...)

Aziza and I first got into it at the Jade Falcon, a bar and gambling den in Basetown. I was enjoying some mid-quality intoxicants of the inhaled variety (Jonda-weed only rarely causes blindness) and betting on the outcome of some lizard races...several lizards would be released at one end of a narrow channel, while a live rodent is released at the other end; the lizard who eats the rodent first is the winner.

I had been betting on this fellow with a blue stripe, and there was some serious coin riding on the outcome of this latest race...when this crazy little fwcar busts up the game and eats the damn mouse herself! Well, naturally some of us who had wagers riding on this took exception to her decision to do this (still not sure why she did it, but who knows why Aziza does half the things she does?). Harsh words were spoken, and a man was head-butted in the crotch. She and I got into it during that brawl, and while I like to think I won, by the time it was over I felt worse than after some fights I'd lost. But somehow, after things calmed down, we ended up sharing a bottle of blackberry brandy together, and I guess you could say we made pax.

Since then we've gotten together on occasion to raise various kinds of hell around Urbem. Like her or hate her, you can't say interesting things don't happen around her...and that's good enough for me.

(For his part, Bedwyr doesn't harbor any resentment--he's pretty much forgiven her that fight, and he doesn't mind any others she's roped him into since--but he gets irritated by her attempts to make him care about stuff. Why does she have to take things so seriously? Very few things are worth taking seriously.

EDITED TO ADD: If you want some good imagery of the Bedwyr-Aziza fight, listen to the latter half of the Johnny Cash song "Boy Named Sue".
Well, I'll tell you, I've fought tougher men
But I...really can't remember when...

Mb wrote:Bedwyr
Drive: "Defeat a worthy opponent."
Boggs owes me his life, whether he'll admit it or not.
I will help Oelle survive this adventure.
Aziza is a boon companion when there's killing to be done.
How do you feel about this verbiage change for Aziza: "Aziza is a kindred spirit when it comes to cheerful murder". :)
Last edited by Spartakos on Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

mb.
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#79 Post by mb. »

:) All sounds good to me. Bond edited above.

Kanye Westeros
Tracker
Tracker

#80 Post by Kanye Westeros »

Spartakos wrote: (from Bedwyr's point of view...)

Aziza and I first got into it at the Jade Falcon, a bar and gambling den in Basetown. I was enjoying some mid-quality intoxicants of the inhaled variety (Jonda-weed only rarely causes blindness) and betting on the outcome of some lizard races...several lizards would be released at one end of a narrow channel, while a live rodent is released at the other end; the lizard who eats the rodent first is the winner.

I had been betting on this fellow with a blue stripe, and there was some serious coin riding on the outcome of this latest race...when this crazy little fwcar busts up the game and eats the damn mouse herself! Well, naturally some of us who had wagers riding on this took exception to her decision to do this (still not sure why she did it, but who knows why Aziza does half the things she does?). Harsh words were spoken, and a man was head-butted in the crotch. She and I got into it during that brawl, and while I like to think I won, by the time it was over I felt worse than after some fights I'd lost. But somehow, after things calmed down, we ended up sharing a bottle of blackberry brandy together, and I guess you could say we made pax.

Since then we've gotten together on occasion to raise various kinds of hell around Urbem. Like her or hate her, you can't say interesting things don't happen around her...and that's good enough for me.

(For his part, Bedwyr doesn't harbor any resentment--he's pretty much forgiven her that fight, and he doesn't mind any others she's roped him into since--but he gets irritated by her attempts to make him care about stuff. Why does she have to take things so seriously? Very few things are worth taking seriously.

EDITED TO ADD: If you want some good imagery of the Bedwyr-Aziza fight, listen to the latter half of the Johnny Cash song "Boy Named Sue".
Well, I'll tell you, I've fought tougher men
But I...really can't remember when...
This is great! Another good take on the Bedwyr/Aziza fight could be this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9rrgJXfLns
"Aziza is a kindred spirit when it comes to cheerful murder". :)
and I love this one.
Lvl 2 Halfling Druid
Armor 1/1
XP 2/9

Return to “The Balance Shifts... (Dungeon World)”