Part 2a: The Village Contingent: Pig-napping Most Foul!

KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: Part 2a: The Village Contingent: Pig-napping Most Foul!

#81 Post by KingOfCowards »

Simon agrees with checking the mill. He follows Jonas while looking around to all sides, ill at ease with the most recent discoveries and unusual quiet at the mill.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#82 Post by Pulpatoon »

The whistling thorn is as last you saw it.

The mill appears to have been abandoned in mid-job. An open bag of oats is spilled across the floor. There is grain under the mill stone, being ground over and over again with no one to clear it.

zebediah
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#83 Post by zebediah »

Jonas enters the mill and looks for any signs of struggle or anything else that catches his eye.

KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#84 Post by KingOfCowards »

Simon will go to the back of the house and try to get a look inside the Miller's home through a window.
I wanted to get your thoughts Zeb. I think we should try to find the Millers wife and daughters. With the Miller scarred up like others, I feel like either they are somehow involved or they are in trouble.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#85 Post by Pulpatoon »

zebediah wrote:Jonas enters the mill and looks for any signs of struggle or anything else that catches his eye.
Sounds like an INT roll! Please describe how you inspect the mill.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#86 Post by Pulpatoon »

KingOfCowards wrote:Simon will go to the back of the house and try to get a look inside the Miller's home through a window.
I wanted to get your thoughts Zeb. I think we should try to find the Millers wife and daughters. With the Miller scarred up like others, I feel like either they are somehow involved or they are in trouble.
Let's have a DEX roll for sneakily snooping!

KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#87 Post by KingOfCowards »

zebediah
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#88 Post by zebediah »

[1d20] = 17

First Jonas looks around for anything spilled/turned over or that seems to have been dropped at the ground, then he will look for any footprints or other marks in the ground and in the objects inside the mill.

My thoughs exactly KoC. If we don't find them here we have to look elsewhere, but shouldn't he do something about the Miller?

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#89 Post by Pulpatoon »

You don't see anyone on the ground floor of the Miller's house. The kitchen floor looks great, but none of the kitchen equipment has been moved back in. In the living room, a carpet is askew and bunch up on the floor, and the sideboard has been knocked over.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#90 Post by Pulpatoon »

zebediah wrote:[1d20] = 17
First Jonas looks around for anything spilled/turned over or that seems to have been dropped at the ground, then he will look for any footprints or other marks in the ground and in the objects inside the mill.
You see nothing of any significance.

KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#91 Post by KingOfCowards »

Simon ducks down and away from the window, and waits for Jonas to emerge from the mill. He'll signal him over and tell him what he saw in a hushed voice, "Something went on in the living room, the room is a disaster. Could be where the Miller was attacked or could be something else. Do we dare go in to investigate further? The Reeve will not be pleased should we get caught. But I think we need to know more about what's going on."

zebediah
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#92 Post by zebediah »

What time of the day is it now Pulp?

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#93 Post by Pulpatoon »

zebediah wrote:What time of the day is it now Pulp?
It is just past sunset. Looks like it is going to be an overcast night.

zebediah
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#94 Post by zebediah »

KingOfCowards wrote:Simon ducks down and away from the window, and waits for Jonas to emerge from the mill. He'll signal him over and tell him what he saw in a hushed voice, "Something went on in the living room, the room is a disaster. Could be where the Miller was attacked or could be something else. Do we dare go in to investigate further? The Reeve will not be pleased should we get caught. But I think we need to know more about what's going on."
It's late now and if we try breaking in and get caught we will be in trouble with the Reeve, as you just said. Let's go to the Reeve's place and tell him what you noted about the Miller being all weird, the lady and girls being missing and all other odd stuff we found. Even better, one of us go call him and the other remain here onthe lookout for any suspicous activity. What do you say?

KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#95 Post by KingOfCowards »

Simon nods nervously. "I'll go find the Reeve if you want to stay here." Simon will start back to where he last saw him, asking around for anybody who has seen him or knows where he went if there is no sign of him there. Then head back to where he normally stays if he is no longer in town.

I am fine staying if you wanted to track down the Reeve instead. I just thought that Jonas would be the more likely to want to stay and observe.

zebediah
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#96 Post by zebediah »

KingOfCowards wrote:Simon nods nervously. "I'll go find the Reeve if you want to stay here." Simon will start back to where he last saw him, asking around for anybody who has seen him or knows where he went if there is no sign of him there. Then head back to where he normally stays if he is no longer in town.

I am fine staying if you wanted to track down the Reeve instead. I just thought that Jonas would be the more likely to want to stay and observe.
Cool, I'll keep my eyes open. Don't forget to tell him that we were here only to get paid for our services so he doesn't think we're still trying to investigate...

Jonas looks for a place where he can sit in the shadows and have a good view of both the house's entrance and the mill.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#97 Post by Pulpatoon »

KingOfCowards wrote:Simon nods nervously. "I'll go find the Reeve if you want to stay here." Simon will start back to where he last saw him, asking around for anybody who has seen him or knows where he went if there is no sign of him there. Then head back to where he normally stays if he is no longer in town.
The Reeve has returned to his residence, on the small block just north of the village square, clustered among Herebury's few official buildings. He was just sitting down for dinner, and is not at all pleased to see you. "Listen, Simon, you're a fine boy, and your heart is in the right place, I'm sure. But all of a sudden, you and your friend are my own personal plague of boils. You have a job to do: go collect herbs for the witch. The Miller is a respected and successful member of the community. Keep your nose out of his business! He'll make good on his payment. And sometimes husbands and wives fight. It's not a mystery, it's just domestic life."

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#98 Post by Pulpatoon »

zebediah wrote:Jonas looks for a place where he can sit in the shadows and have a good view of both the house's entrance and the mill.
Everything is still and quiet at the Mill. At one point you think, perhaps, you catch the sound of faint sobbing, but when you listen more attentively to figure out its source, you can't here it anymore.

Then, as the evening's darkness deepens, you see the Miller emerge with a hat pulled low over his head and a cloak around his shoulders, emerge from his house and rush off.

KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#99 Post by KingOfCowards »

"Yes Sir. I can most certainly understand your position. My most humble apologies for the intrusion. I will only add that we must agree that something strange is going on in Herebury. Like most of the populace, it has been convenient to ignore the power of magic. But you cannot deny that something of its ilk was at play this afternoon. If the girls do not turn up by tomorrow, could you at least agree to check in on the Miller?"

CHA Check: [1d20] = 13 Wasn't asked for, but worth a try

Despite the Reeve's answer he nods a hasty goodbye and returns to meet with Jonas to let him know that we are on our own for now.
Last edited by KingOfCowards on Sat Jun 14, 2014 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zebediah
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#100 Post by zebediah »

Pulpatoon wrote:
zebediah wrote:Jonas looks for a place where he can sit in the shadows and have a good view of both the house's entrance and the mill.
Everything is still and quiet at the Mill. At one point you think, perhaps, you catch the sound of faint sobbing, but when you listen more attentively to figure out its source, you can't here it anymore.

Then, as the evening's darkness deepens, you see the Miller emerge with a hat pulled low over his head and a cloak around his shoulders, emerge from his house and rush off.
Jonas holds back cursing when he sees the Miller leaving. He looks around, hoping to see Simon approaching, and if his friend is not in sight he willfollow the Miller.

Return to “Adventure 1: Death Comes to Herebury”