Part 2a: The Village Contingent: Pig-napping Most Foul!

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Part 2a: The Village Contingent: Pig-napping Most Foul!

#101 Post by Pulpatoon »

zebediah wrote:Jonas holds back cursing when he sees the Miller leaving. He looks around, hoping to see Simon approaching, and if his friend is not in sight he willfollow the Miller.
Since Simon made a pretty short appearance at the Reeve's place, let's say he shows up just as the Miller is starting to get out of sight.

The Miller is walking at a hurried clip west on Ebbes St.

KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#102 Post by KingOfCowards »

If Jonas expresses the need to follow the Miller, Simon will interject that this also might be the best time to search the house while the Miller is out.

We'll need to make a decision quickly though, because Mr. Miller is already on the move
I hate to admit, it might be another chance to split yet again.

zebediah
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#103 Post by zebediah »

Ok, you try to get in the house and I will follow him. As soon as I see what he is doing I'll come back to help you. after saying that Jonas will give chase to the Miller.

KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#104 Post by KingOfCowards »

Simon will enter the mill once again where they have had no luck searching without interruption. He first holds his holy symbol and prays, "Menrva, give me the wisdom and insight to find what we search for."
Bless Cantrip: [1d20] = 3
He then starts to look around the floor for seams that would identify a secret opening in the floor or a sign of what happened to the girls.
INT Check: [1d20] = 20 wtf. The gods hate me.
I think I will use a fate point on that roll to avoid whatever fate Pulpatoon had planned for my critical failure.
INT Check: [1d20] = 2

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#105 Post by Pulpatoon »

KingOfCowards wrote:Simon will enter the mill once again where they have had no luck searching without interruption. He first holds his holy symbol and prays, "Menrva, give me the wisdom and insight to find what we search for."
Bless Cantrip: [1d20] = 3
He then starts to look around the floor for seams that would identify a secret opening in the floor or a sign of what happened to the girls.
INT Check: [1d20] = 20 wtf. The gods hate me.
I think I will use a fate point on that roll to avoid whatever fate Pulpatoon had planned for my critical failure.
INT Check: [1d20] = 2
The Blessing Cantrip allows you aid an ally. Is this what you mean to do?

Looking around, you find no secret doors. You do find some items stashed under a loose floorboards: a bundle of letters addressed to one of the girls, a cheap locket, and some pressed flowers.

Otherwise, everything is as it appeared, earlier: work left unattended, spilled bag of flour on the floor.

KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#106 Post by KingOfCowards »

Pulpatoon wrote: The Blessing Cantrip allows you aid an ally. Is this what you mean to do?
You are correct sir. I was hoping to cast a blessing on myself, but the wording clearly states that a blessing is placed upon an ally. My mistake.

Who is the sender of said letters?

Simon will move to the house to see if the Miller has locked the front door? Is there a back door?

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#107 Post by Pulpatoon »

The letters are from Caldwell, a young man (few years older than you lot) with a faraway cast in his eyes, whom you've met in Ravengard's library. His family owns a huge herd of goats.

There is a backdoor, accessible from a sidedoor from the Mill. It is locked, as is the front door.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#108 Post by Pulpatoon »

zebediah wrote:Ok, you try to get in the house and I will follow him. As soon as I see what he is doing I'll come back to help you. after saying that Jonas will give chase to the Miller.
The Miller follows Ebbes St. to Purlambs Walk. He appears to be heading the Western Ditch, where Timber and West meet.

zebediah
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#109 Post by zebediah »

Jonas continues to follow the Miller from a safe distance.

Is the Miller walking normally in the middle of the street or is he trying to be discreet?

KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#110 Post by KingOfCowards »

Simon will circle the house to inspect the windows. If any of them open up he will try to pry them open with his knife or hope that the Millers left one cracked while they worked on the kitchen floor.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#111 Post by Pulpatoon »

zebediah wrote:Jonas continues to follow the Miller from a safe distance.

Is the Miller walking normally in the middle of the street or is he trying to be discreet?
The Miller walks quickly, with his head down and his hat pulled low in the dark.

He continues on to the ditch, where he meets five other men on horseback. He swings up beside one of the riders, and they all head directly north, over the field, towards the Thousand Acre Wood.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#112 Post by Pulpatoon »

KingOfCowards wrote:Simon will circle the house to inspect the windows. If any of them open up he will try to pry them open with his knife or hope that the Millers left one cracked while they worked on the kitchen floor.
You do indeed find a window that has not been latched looking into the kitchen. You are pretty sure you could pry it open with a knife.

You are less sure you could squeeze through.

zebediah
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#113 Post by zebediah »

Pulpatoon wrote: The Miller walks quickly, with his head down and his hat pulled low in the dark.

He continues on to the ditch, where he meets five other men on horseback. He swings up beside one of the riders, and they all head directly north, over the field, towards the Thousand Acre Wood.
That doesn't look good. Jonas says to himself as he turns around and runs backto the Miller's place to meet Simon.

KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#114 Post by KingOfCowards »

Pulpatoon wrote:
KingOfCowards wrote:Simon will circle the house to inspect the windows. If any of them open up he will try to pry them open with his knife or hope that the Millers left one cracked while they worked on the kitchen floor.
You do indeed find a window that has not been latched looking into the kitchen. You are pretty sure you could pry it open with a knife.
Simon will pry open the window assuming he can reach it. When he gets the window open he calls inside, "Is anybody in here? Mrs. Miller? Anybody? He'll give himself a moment to listen, before going to look for something to stand on in order to contort himself inside.

The center crossbeam seems to be its own piece of wood, so it may be removable in a pinch.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#115 Post by Pulpatoon »

KingOfCowards wrote:
Pulpatoon wrote:
Simon will pry open the window assuming he can reach it. When he gets the window open he calls inside, "Is anybody in here? Mrs. Miller? Anybody? He'll give himself a moment to listen, before going to look for something to stand on in order to contort himself inside.

The center crossbeam seems to be its own piece of wood, so it may be removable in a pinch.
Let's have an INT for listening and a DEX-2 for contortion.

KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#116 Post by KingOfCowards »

Pulpatoon wrote: Let's have an INT for listening and a DEX-2 for contortion.
INT Check: [1d20] = 7
DEX Check -2: [1d20] = 16
The blacksmith's solid shoulders make it near impossible to get anything below his neck through the window. He retreats back to the ground, defeated. Before hatching a new plan, he will look around for his friend in between nervously pacing and muttering to himself, "Please come back, Jonas".

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#117 Post by Pulpatoon »

Jonas arrives back at the Mill to find Simon looking vexed at a half-open window.

Simon: you're pretty sure you hear muffled sobbing from upstairs.

zebediah
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#118 Post by zebediah »

Hey Simon, what's the situation? The Miller met five other guys at the the edge of town and rode with them to the forest.

As Simon updates Jonas he looks at the window trying to assess how can they get in more easily Perhaps if one of us supports the other we'll have more leverage to slip through the window.
If it looks like Simon won't manage to pass through the window Jonas will try it himself. In any case, one of the two should assist the other climbing up. In case a roll is needed here it goes:
[1d20] = 11

KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#119 Post by KingOfCowards »

As Simon hoists Jonas up, he whispers "Unlock the back door after you get in."

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#120 Post by Pulpatoon »

Jonas slithers in through the window, landing on the kitchen floor you have been working so hard on. Inside the kitchen is still and dark.

Return to “Adventure 1: Death Comes to Herebury”