Action Thread 11

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Action Thread 11

#21 Post by Argennian »

max_vale wrote: OOC: And Argennian; this is 1E; so it's THIEVERY Blodgett engages; none of that new-fangled ROGUE stuff for us old-schoolers! :)

P.S. In case the smiley wasn't enough; I'm just joking....just in case some new-school dude decides to hurl flames at me for a silly bit of nonsense....we now return you to your regularly scheduled PBP game; already in progress....
OOC: Ha! So noted, Max! :lol:

Apols for my unintended slight upon the revered ranks of Grognards!
:oops:
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)
Brok Sterling: Human Assassin3 (ToniXX's Incursion into Newiron OSRIC Playtest)
Tanik Tremwoodak: Dwarf Cleric3 (Dave's 1e Skype Game)

DM: home-brew OSRIC "A New Hope to the West" campaign

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#22 Post by Alethan »

max_vale wrote:Ogre looks like a combination of bored and anxious....he wants to get the slaves out of there and he also wants to smash things; so he's torn....

OOC: And Argenian; this is 1E; so it's THIEVERY Blodgett engages; none of that new-fangled ROGUE stuff for us old-schoolers! :)

P.S. In case the smiley wasn't enough; I'm just joking....just in case some new-school dude decides to hurl flames at me for a silly bit of nonsense....we now return you to your regularly scheduled PBP game; already in progress....

Rogue? Don't you mean <This section of the post was automatically redacted by Rule of Etiquette #3>
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#23 Post by Argennian »

The still-invisible Blodgett creeps back to his mates for a quick debrief. He clears his throat softly as he gets close, so as not to spook those waiting more than necessary.

"Save them three horses and the four dead half-orcs we left in there, doesn't look like anyone's been inside, or that anything's been disturbed from what I can see," he whispers. "Shall we then?"
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#24 Post by Alethan »

Freda replies, "Yeah, let's do this."

saalaria
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#25 Post by saalaria »

"I agreed - lets move quickly."

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#26 Post by tkrexx »

Yes, yes, let's get these people out of here, Phanstern's voice is heard from behind.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#27 Post by Stirling »

"ok, lets do it, perhaps keep the slaves in chains and in tow through the town outskirts, putting on a charade of whipping them and take them back to the boat? If we al play our part and the two invisibles remain that way we can see this through." Kayen will agree to go to the stables and prepare the horses, saddling and check on the outside stable doors.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#28 Post by rredmond »

Day 1– In the complex – 12:40 p

The Upper Level - Stables

Blodgett and Phanstern remain invisible.

The party moves, as quietly as they can, into the stables with the slaves. It's pretty tight in there, but the slaves are excited about getting out of the slavers' lair and fill stables and the loft as they wait. A couple of them kick the dead half-orcs. The party explains the plan that they are leaving in plain sight with just-bought "slaves".

Kayen begins preparing the horses to leave, the saddles are by the wood double door exits. And the party maintains a lookout through those doors. With everyone's help it takes but a few minutes to get things prepared to leave. You had seen groups of humanoids come in and out of this door before you entered the "secret" door in the southern end of the ruined temple. They always hailed the guards inside the double doors and were let in. You haven't seen parties leave with slave, but you hadn't seen parties leave with slaves at all before you entered. Other than the guards inside the stable, there were those patrolling on the roof as well.

Just as you get ready to move out, the lookout at the door shushes people and folks get quiet moving up to peek out of the slats of the double doors. You see two creatures, as they get closer you can see they must be ghouls, and they are coming from the town. What's worse than the fact that they are heading toward the stables is the grisly, bloody remains of some poor unfortunate soul that they carry along with them. They aren't quiet and seem to be communicating with each other in some sort of grunting guttural language. Before you can do anything they veer off to the north side of the double doors, and start to climb the wall sharing their burden.

Currently you are in the stables: viewtopic.php?p=101941#p101941
Blodgett and Phanstern remain invisible.

HPs: Ogre (1) - 45/45; Elwita (1) - 32/50; Delgath (6) - 25/25; Blodgett (3) - 10/20 ; Freda (-5) - 29/40; Phanstern (2) - 25/25; Eljayess (1) - 17/25; Kayen (2) - 25/25
WIH: Ogre: Long sword (20' radius light) (short bow), shield]; Elwita Hammer (heavy xbow): Staff; Delgath: Staff; Blodgett: short sword (sling); Freda: long bow (long sword), shield; Phanstern: dagger, lantern; Eljayess: Spear, shield (long bow); Kayen: long sword (long bow), shield]
MO: Blodgett, Kayen, Ogre, Freda, Delgath, slaves, Phanstern, Eljayess, Elwita
Consumables: Bullseye Lantern OUT (Phanstern) - (121 minutes left OUT) 80' radius, 10' wide beam; Torch - (not lit, 60 minutes), 40' radius.
--------Spells: Delgath 1-3/4, 2-1/2, 3-1/1 : Phanstern: 1-3/4, 2-2/2, 3-0/1; Eljayess: 1-2/4, 2-2/3; Kayen: 1-3/3, 2-2/2

Invisibility potion: 2 doses left.

This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#29 Post by max_vale »

Ogre moves to put himself between the horrible ghouls and the slaves and whispers urgently for them to "Move, quickly now"; while keeping his sword and shield at the ready....

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#30 Post by tkrexx »

Phanstern will ready his Change Self spell in case the ensemble is challenged.

saalaria
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#31 Post by saalaria »

Dredd previously looking confident and happy is looking nervous and worried. He stays quiet. He isn't even muttering to himself anymore...

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#32 Post by Argennian »

Still invisible but aware of what the others are seeing from his vantage point by the outer doors, Blodgett moves over to whisper his thoughts and last minute queries to the others.

"So we wait for the undead to climb up and over the wall with their meal and then we make our move, right?

"Okay then, who's going to be the one in charge if our casual waves to the guards don't work? Do we have a plan "B", other than every man for himself if it all goes to shite? What about our slaver prisoner? If anyone out there sees him with us and tied up, I doubt our bluff will go very far. Should we cover him up with a cloak or blanket, or leave him stashed in here? And if being left behind, that would mean dead, of course..."

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#33 Post by tkrexx »

I'll take the form of our friend with the weasels, Phanstern whispers, If that fails, I'll fill the area with a blanket of pea-soup fog to cover our movements. He waits for responses and other ideas.

Nuke66
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#34 Post by Nuke66 »

Eljay adds "Cover and gag our prisoner and tie him to a horse." She selects a horse before climbing into the saddle. "We should plan that our ruse will end, and the mounted one will cover those running. I'm sure we can slow the pursuit since we have all the horses."

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#35 Post by Stirling »

"Well guards on the roof will also be satying clear of that pair, not wanting to be a desert to their meal. So give it a minute and then open the doors, ", Kayen will advise, twitching his sword in hand. As elves probably stand out in the crowd in this city, Kayen will pull the hood of his cloak up and tuck his ears into the helemet just a little bit more.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#36 Post by rredmond »

Just to recap, the ghouls are climbing up the wall to the north of you with lunch.

Ogre consuls moving "quickly now" as he readies to fight his way out.

Dredd is quiet and nervous, but invisible Phanstern asks if he should use an illusion to make himself look like the slaver leader or one that creates fog.

Invisible Blodgett recommends moving after the ghouls reach the roof (which won't take long, they climb rather well with those blackened nails) and wonders what the party should do if their bluff doesn't work. And what they should do with their prisoner.

Eljay mounts a horse and recommends tying the prisoner to another horse. Eljay recommends taking all three horses and a plan B of those mounted covering those on foot if the ruse doesn't work.

Kayen also recommends a quick departure, as the orcish roof guards will probably give the ghouls plenty of space and won't be that focused at that side of the temple.
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#37 Post by Argennian »

rredmond wrote:Just to recap, the ghouls are climbing up the wall to the north of you with lunch. ...
OOC: Ron, this mean the north wall just outside the stables, right?
(Just want to be sure I'm seeing this right! :geek: )

Q: did we see these ghouls coming from the west or the north?
(not sure what direction they were coming from in relation to the map. Top is north, right?)

(Also thought it couldn't hurt to post this from your map thread, just to give everyone a recap...)

The Temple in Highport is the headquarters for the Slavers, all reports would indicate. The main entrance is through well defended portcullises to the North. By all accounts the utility shed and stable entrances are well defended also. The whole city is filled with ruined, burnt buildings. The Temple is no exception though it shows signs of some upkeep. Obviously it was once a 3 story building, but the upper levels are collapsed by fire and war, but it seems the roof has been reinforced as you see patrols on the stone ramparts. At infrequent intervals guards will be seen patrolling the walls. From the secret door northward, the walls are 15' - 20' high, but the eastern part, which looks like the temple proper, starting about 30' west of the portcullis and including everything on that side, except the charred wooden areas (which I indicated) the walls are higher, around 35' high, and there are guards patrolling throughout. These will be humanoids or humans in small groups, apparently bored with their duties. At other times parties on foot or horseback will arrive at either the stable door or the main gate. These visitors will hail the guards, announcing themselves as having business; they are then admitted by the guards in small groups. These visitors appear to be either merchants with guards or parties of adventurers. At night, the guards will be more numerous and creatures will be seen to flutter up from within the compound to fly off into the night. No slaves or slaving parties will be observed in the time that the characters are in the area. The walls are constructed of large blocks of stone, closely fitted together. The temple itself is located on the edge of the city and most of the buildings around it have been destroyed, or torn down, giving the roof patrols pretty good line-of-sight. There is little traffic about and while you were walking around in the day, passersby paid no attention to the party. It was recommended that you sneak to the secret door, in the south of the Temple, away from the main entrances, and enter in that manner, but how you accomplish the mission is up to you. At night you can see it would be easy to get the whole party right up to that door, and get in without being noticed - as long as you are careful.

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#38 Post by Stirling »

Kayen will suggest we gag and tie up the slaves and prisoners, just to keep any ruse going and also that no one will shout "oi! they are escapees!". Maybe Phanstern should make 'like an ogre' and swing a riding whip to keep the chain-gang in order. Others mount up or guard and away we go, chancing our luck going south around the outer walls.

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#39 Post by tkrexx »

An Ogre! Phanstern's eyes grow bright. No, not you, my friend, one of the ugly sort. What a brilliant idea! He eyes the others excitedly, tho they can't see him. Is this the plan, then?

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#40 Post by Alethan »

Freda nods in agreement. "Whatever we do, let's make it fast before a patrol comes around and finds us. But that sounds like a good enough plan to me."

Return to “Slave Pits of the Undercity”