Action thread 1 - the departing

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Action thread 1 - the departing

#1 Post by rredmond »

Pouring through as much of the journals as they could read, the party picked up pieces of Roghan and Zelligar's plans. They discovered a ruined city from ages past that were somehow connected with the barbarians. The journals showed that the Barbarian Chieftains were did not give up the information cheaply, and it seems extraordinary measures were used. But finally a location of this fabled city (and "wondrous riches") was extracted, and a general 'path' to the city was found. A nearby mountain pass, easily traveled by foot, but too treacherous for horses, led almost straight to the city within a week or two of travel. Not believing their luck, the party consulted the elders and those who call themselves "sages" in the village, but they have yielded nothing but wild stories about 20' tall hordes of giants and clusters of evil dark elves, among other things living in the mountain pass. The surety being that the pass was infrequently entered, but those adventurous enough to do so have never returned in living memory. But this is the path to the Legacy of the Unknown...

There is no one in the village willing to accompany you just for the adventure, mayhap you could pick up a hireling or two. But the villagers are willing to provide any normal equipment needed at no cost... your most recent adventuring seems to have benefitted them more financially than yourselves. But they are slowly getting back to their blue-collar lives, and the benefits of your 'celebrity' won't last much longer.
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

Re: Action thread 1 - the departing

#2 Post by Alethan »

Till requests the following from the villagers:

mule (1)
hooded lamp (1)
lamp oil (10)
torches (10)
woolen blankets (3)
tent (1)
sacks, large (4)
trail rations (120 days worth)
sling bullets (36)
spare dagger (1)
spare hand axe (1)

At the Weaponsmith, he will request a silver dagger. He is willing to pay for this if they won't make a gift of it.

He would also like to hire for one month:
Linkboy (1) (1 month)
Laborer (1) (1 month)

So he will post for those positions at the village pub.
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

migellito
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#3 Post by migellito »

Jeloon will ply the inns and other likely establishments (armorer, weaponsmith if available) in search of 2 light footmen. She offers 20 silver per month in wages, 32 gold each in equipment costs, and a bonus of 5 silver each for every battle she survives.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by rredmond »

There's a big town hall meeting called to fairly figure out how to accomodate your requests:

The following have been obtained without apparent worry, though they would like the return of anything unused :) :
mule (1)
hooded lamp (1)
lamp oil (10)
torches (10)
woolen blankets (3)
tent (1)
sacks, large (4)
trail rations (120 days worth)
sling bullets (36)
spare dagger (1)
spare hand axe (1)
one somewhat old silver dagger

Till has a buddy, who wasn't exactly invited to the meeting, who told him that there was some grousing about what to charge, but one of the oldtimers, Elder Bandyman, had put everyone in their place, and was one of the main suppliers of goods. The mule and silver dagger came from him. But the town still cheers the group's bravery as they ready for departure. The hirelings are a little more difficult, there is one, apparently untried, youngster in the town who wants to leave and will go with Jeloon for the hiring price. One of the guards of the caravan wouldn't mind going with you for 30 silver per month, he already has leather and 2 spears, with an axe and a shield, but wouldn't mind upgrading with the gold. As for the linkboy and laborer, they're a little tougher to find believe it or not, most folks have jobs in the town, but the guard wouldn't mind talking to a couple of his buddies in the caravan to hire them away, but it will cost 25sp a month, each.
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!

migellito
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#5 Post by migellito »

Jeloon speaks to the guard. "I think your experience is well worth the ten extra silver, and you're welcome to it. Spend the 32 gold as you like to better your armour."

She goes with the youngster to help him get kitted out. She buys him battle axe, large shield and studded leather, for a total of 35gp. She then gives the guard an extra 3gp to even it out.

She will then, while the others finish up preparations to leave, practice with the guard and the youngster, focusing mostly on the youngster and getting them used to the idea of a 2-man shield wall.

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Argennian »

Yosef asks for an audience with the elders and thanks them all, especially Elder Bandyman. He assures them that their investment in the party will also be to their benefit and that he and his proven companions will do their best to solve the mystery. He is curious to know about any expected encounters with barbarian tribes and the like they might expect and any useful or absolutely necessary protocols that should be observed. (OOC: I know IC that Jeloon would probably know as much, but can't hurt to get a different opinion! ;) )

Once those formalities are handled, Yosef will offer to assist Jeloon with the training and drilling of their new hirelings. He makes his 130 gold available for resources.

Afterthought Edit: OOC: If either of Jeloon's men are proficient with a bow, Yosef will happily buy them one and a full 24 arrow quiver. Couldn't hurt to have more than one archer present when needed!

Ron, I will update the list of additional personal equipment requested. Not sure if you're using prices for arms and equipment straight out of the Osric rulebook on these but will list it anyway.
Last edited by Argennian on Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)
Brok Sterling: Human Assassin3 (ToniXX's Incursion into Newiron OSRIC Playtest)
Tanik Tremwoodak: Dwarf Cleric3 (Dave's 1e Skype Game)

DM: home-brew OSRIC "A New Hope to the West" campaign

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

migellito
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#7 Post by migellito »

"Thank you Yosef! Let's start with these" she hands Yosef a length of branch about the size of a sword, then addresses the hirelings "you two just with your shields.. don't let us hit you!"

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by rredmond »

Bandyman is an ancient, but jovial man, and he hasn't lost a bit of his wit. Having no airs (though lots of respect) he leans on Yosef, preferring to walk as they talk. "I wish there were more that I can tell you about the barbarians, but they disappeared about the same time as Rogahn and Zelligar. They were skilled, but ruthless warriors. They gave, and expected no quarter, and Rogahn and Zelligar had to become the same to beat them back."

The guard, Van Deim, is skilled with the spear, he is comfortable using the shield. Though initially guarded, and almost elitist, he watches you all intently, and he loosens up a bit after there was no haggling, and Jeloon threw the extra gold his way. After training, you find him a quiet, cautious, man but good humoured and apparently loyal. The youth, Eyman, is a step above hopeless, but trainable. Fearing contact, he likes the shield an awful lot, but Jeloon thinks he's trainable.

Unfortunately neither of them is decent with the bow. Van can throw a spear well, as well as use it in combat. Van is more comfortable than Eyman defending against the "sword" branch, and both are comfortable with their axes.

EDIT: yep prices right out of OSRIC for the most part.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#9 Post by Alethan »

rredmond wrote:As for the linkboy and laborer, they're a little tougher to find believe it or not, most folks have jobs in the town, but the guard wouldn't mind talking to a couple of his buddies in the caravan to hire them away, but it will cost 25sp a month, each.
Till agrees to the suggestion of the guard's buddies for two additional hands and adds, "How about we make it an even 30sp a month each? I value loyal and honest men and compensation for such values come easily enough. And please understand... disloyalty and lies will quickly find you unemployed. We'll fit you with swords and leather, if you want, but I do not expect you to fight except in defense of your lives."

To further ensure their loyalty, Till will pay each of them a one-time signing bonus of one month's pay (30sp each).

If they agree to that, then we'll just put the hand axe and spare dagger on the mule in case they are needed (who doesn't need a spare hand axe, right?) and Till will purchase a long sword and studded leather armour for each of the men (60gp total).

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#10 Post by Alethan »

Till also makes it clear to Van Diem and Eyman that, though the other men are being paid the same monthly wages as them, they are not contracted to receive any shares of any loot the party may find if they simply maintain the status of "porter" and "linkboy". Van Diem and Eyman should, however, receive a 1/2 share each as part of their compensation.

He just wants to make sure they understand the other two aren't being paid just as much simply to carry torches and heavy things.

migellito
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#11 Post by migellito »

"Shares for the hirelings?! I mean.. yes, of course, shares for the hirelings. Half shares. Of course."

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by rredmond »

The Linkboy and Porter both quickly agree and get to work straightaway to prepare for leaving, and obviously proving their worth.

Van's eye's widen at Till's remark and allows himself a small smile and quick salute. "You wouldn't know the worth of my word yet, though you folks sure have a way of ensuring loyalty."

Eyman's mouth drops open. He stands speechless and Van has to actually pull him away, shaking his head. Though Eyman works even harder during practices.

Van comes back a little later to ask when you'd like the group to be ready to leave.

migellito
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#13 Post by migellito »

"Van, let's look at supplies. As soon as it's all ready, we can go."

I will then try to buy:
2 donkeyassmules - 36gp
3 dozen arrows - 6gp, 4lbs
50' hemp rope - 1gp, 10lbs

If the villagers are willing to send more trail rations along, as well as 3 more blankets, I will accept them gratefully, promising a blood-debt to pay them back with treasure from our expedition. I also visit Eyman's family, and Van's if he has family here, and promise them 20gp as weregild if their sons don't return. I poke my right hand and put a hand print in blood next to their front door.

I pack up the arrows and whatever donations the villagers give me on the mules, using the rope. If the group is gathered somewhere handy, the inn perhaps, I will go there.

"I plan to stretch our rations by hunting along the way. I am ready to leave."

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by rredmond »

They make good for the 120 days of trail rations for the, now, eight of you - there's not much more.
Your purchases go off without a hitch, I'm assuming new donkeys carrying the new purchases?

Three more blankets are no problem.

migellito
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#15 Post by migellito »

Yep, new stuff on new donkeys. :)

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#16 Post by Alethan »

Till is ready to leave bright and early on the 'morrow after breaking fast.

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#17 Post by ToniXX »

Bruard is also ready to depart. He would like to help out with pay for the hirelings and donkey team, and for anything else anyone thinks we need.
"Sir, our research shows that the bird is equal to or greater than the word."

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by Argennian »

Yosef would also like to get his additional gear settled and will work with Jeloon to get it stowed, as well as all the rations and other gear, on the party's pack animals.

He'll spend their last night in the village inn with his companions and their newly-hired men. Although his mind is racing with thoughts of their morning departure, the journey and the harrowing mystery of which they hope to solve, Yosef will sip his wine slowly and casually chat and joke with the others.

OOC: Here is the finalized list of additional items that Yosef purchased. These are listed with E = Encumbrance & C = Cost:

2 quivers, 24-arrow cap. E:4 C:50sp
48 arrows E: 16 C: 8gp
winter cloak, hooded E:4 C:5sp
winter boots E:4 C:2gp
winter blanket E:2.5 C:free?
bedroll E:5 C:2sp
waterskin E:1 C:1gp
wineskin, full (local fine wine) E:5 C:3gp
(note: will mark on character sheet as well! Yosef should still have around 110 - 112gp left over and will happily use this to pay back Jeloon, Bruard & Till for any group expenses!)
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)
Brok Sterling: Human Assassin3 (ToniXX's Incursion into Newiron OSRIC Playtest)
Tanik Tremwoodak: Dwarf Cleric3 (Dave's 1e Skype Game)

DM: home-brew OSRIC "A New Hope to the West" campaign

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by rredmond »

I'm going to continue on in this thread, mainly because I recieved the rest of the PDFs for the module and it will make things easier, but let me know if you need me to clean it up. I can move posts around or delete them, but otherwise the sun rises...

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by rredmond »

It's a cool, clear spring day, few clouds in the sky. You all feel the excitement of impending adventure. All the hirelings are quite businesslike and finish preparations to leave - all except Eyman who's a bit overexcited and bothers the others trying to help, until Van forces him to sit on a rock and wait.

Elder Bandyman brings you to the opening of the mountain pass. Foreboding it looks, but hopeful in the light. Though it's a tight beginning (about 6 to 8 feet across) it does open to the sky, and looks as if it gets wider the further you go in - it's sort of like the bases of two mountain ranges starting at the same place. "Be careful of your footing, that'll be important," the Elder says unnecessarily, leaning on Yosef as he seems to enjoy doing. The ground is rocky, unlike anything you've seen before, covered in rocks, and looking like slow and steady will be a necessity. But again the day has a good feeling to it and your adrenaline pulses a positive energy throughout your bodies.

"I can't wait, we're going to be rich," Eyman busts out from his rock.

"Shh!" Van cautions, rolling his eyes, as he helps packing Fred. Bandyman chuckles as he backs away.

Let me know any further preparations you'd like, it's about 7am.

Return to “Legacy of the Unknown - Pacesetter Games Playtest (OSRIC module)”