The Village of Herebury (Drafts)

zebediah
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Re: The Village of Herebury

#41 Post by zebediah »

Larea, the fisherman's daughter

As he grew closer to the village's fishermen Jonas ended up becoming friends with Larea, daughter of Lark, one of the friendliest men in the village. Lark was a leader among the men of his trade and also an important leader of the local community, taking an active role in organizing some of the local celebrations and festivals, helping neighboors in need and being a spokesman for those who would or could not speak for themselves.

Larea was just as well-liked as her father and Jonas felt attached to her before he realized it. Whenever he was not hanging around with the boys it would be a sure guess he would be at her side. They shared stories, both those told to them by others and those made up by themselves, and built together each other's worldviews

Beginning the alligator hunt season, one year, Lark lead most of the fishermen and many of the hunters down the Serene river as they did every year. Lark never came back, his canoe being turned around when he was chasing the largest alligator anyone in town had ever seen. The men returned to town with the bad news, and the next morning Larea was missing. Two weeks later she was found by the fishermen many miles away, looking for her father. She was forever changed since that day, the closeness with Jonas seemingly forgotten.

KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#42 Post by KingOfCowards »

Jenna Weaver

Born Jenna Sykes after her father, Jenna was eldest of three children who were raised by her widow mother, Sara Weaver. At a young age she was enamored with the shy blacksmith's son, who had often avoided her advances. Eventually the two became good friends and spent quite a few happy summers together. Life seemed to be leading them towards marriage, but the blacksmith's son had turned away from his father's trade and followed a path of religion, thus forfeiting his future with Jenna. Jenna went on to marry a tanner instead, but was soon widowed herself when her husband died of an infection. She has since taken up her mother's occupation and runs a loom with her younger sister, Farrah.

MonkeyWrench
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#43 Post by MonkeyWrench »

Victor and Maya Direnni Ha! They got married and have moved to another story! :lol:

Victor, an older man with an always present smile and mischievous look to his eyes, came to the town several years ago with his traveling companion Maya, a rigid and brave woman that had a military history as well as an adventurers. They were adventurers, leaving on missions to different lands but always coming back for some reason and help the townsfolk. Victor would tell stories of his and Maya's adventures to the townsfolk, especially the children, while Maya helped with more practical things such as guarding the town, helping with manual labor, and sometimes with basic combat training if people asked enough. Marcus was completely enamored with both of them, as if they were his own parents.

He would always want another story of adventure and heroics from Victor, which the older man would greatly enjoy. Marcus also helped Maya with whatever she was doing, she would also give him training and spar with him which he always never seemed to get enough of. Eventually the two decided that it was time they were together in name and married, at the Guardians Grove to the townsfolk's dismay, and settled down in the village. They still continue to help the townsfolk with whatever is needed, be it getting rid of wild animals or bandits, repairing things, or creating grand illusions and entertaining people at festivals.

And at the end of most nights everyone will come to Eights for good company, a good drink, and to hear a story from Victor as Maya watched him perform.

Since we have a few from the game Victor and Maya are in I feel I should say that this would probably be several years after that game, probably 8-12. :D
Life is a roller coaster, if you don't stop to enjoy it then you may as well not even ride.

KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#44 Post by KingOfCowards »

The Temple of the Old Gods

On the outskirts of the village, deep into a forested area there stands the remains a long abandoned ancient temple that was used generations ago to worship the old gods. Decades of neglect have left the temple overgrown with trees, moss, and lichen. What once was a cobblestone path is now a patchwork of stones scattered among the green wilderness. Inside the temple, the condition of the stone walls is better, being somewhat protected from the elements. The center holds a large fire pit built into the floor. Three statues still stand in tribute to Dianae, goddess of nature and animals, Janus, the god of men and the skies, and Volos, the mysterious god of the underworld and magic. Worn and engravings that decorate the walls show primitive instructions of obsolete rites as well as likenesses to other minor gods such as Lyr, god of the sea and Epona, goddess of fertility.

It has been nearly a generation since the temple was last used for any public ceremony. Hag Sal could tell you of the most recent vicar, an immense man with a great grey beard that covered his face and skin like a gnarly tree root, but he has since passed on some forty years ago. The only visitors now are brave children looking for adventure. But the unnatural silence and dark, haunting shadows give it an eerie feeling that is discomforting to almost all, and a seldom few would dare return for a second look. Some can tell you stories of mysterious firelight coming from inside the temple in the middle of the night, but none can vouch for this truth.
Temple of the Old Gods

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#45 Post by Pulpatoon »

Looking great! Let me add my two cents:

MonketWrench: How would you feel about making Victor and Maya much older? So that they might be able to mentor interested kids, but not go adventuring themselves? I might feel constrained in how I treat them like regular (disposable) NPCs, out of respect to their position as your player characters. But if they're way past their prime, they're less likely to get in trouble. Also, wouldn'tthey make an adorable old couple?

zebediah: There is a Holywell street in town, so there must have been a holy well somewhere around here at some point in time. Is it still around? Was it part of the temple? Sacred to Dianae, perhaps? Or maybe the town hall was built over top of it, or something.

mb.
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#46 Post by mb. »

Herebury Market
Every Fruday the market square is abustle with all manner of tents, shades, tables built on barrels, and blankets on the ground, all laden with fish, pottery, bread, cheese, produce, ironware and more; whatever can be bought (in daylight) in Herebury is sold there. Beyond that, Frumarkt is also the only time that those of the castle and village mingle openly, so it's a day or great gossip, or as some might say, news.

Apart from Fruday, the market square is also the site of the annual festivals – The Dance in spring and Willow Aften in autumn – as well as performances by occasional wandering troupes of players.

I know there's a Oat Market Road, but I figured a) there's likely to be much more at the market than just oats, and b) that little square at the southwest corner of the castle would be perfect for a market, so that's where I'm thinking it is. Still not sure about the scale of the map, so maybe that's a bit small?

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#47 Post by GreyWolfVT »

The Red Herring the local fishermen's favored tavern. Sure sure we all had that little tavern chatter earlier but meh. :P On corner of Bagenett Street and Ebbes Street. With a great big sign bearing the painted red herring fish upon it. The fishermen like to go here after a long day of fishing. The drinks are always cold and brewed locally and the food is always good and hot to fill aching stomachs. The Keeper of the place is a tall almost lumber jack looking man Horris Elstrom and his wife Kora. Kora makes the meals and Horris servers and brews the different ales. There is a young barmaid that works there Abel was very interested in he just never talked to her much. He name was Lola and she was a sweet kind girl with looks to match. There were some old fishermen that spent much time in the place telling old tales about fish they caught that were most likely exaggerated in size and weight. It was a place Abel considered his second home.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

zebediah
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#48 Post by zebediah »

Herebury's Hearth

The first thing you will see as you approach the point where Eastover Road meets the Old Salt Road, if you are approaching from one of those two roads, is a small poorly-kept stable. As you pass by the structure and walk into Bridge Road you will note the sign hanging above the large door of the square building next to the stable indicating that you have found the village's only Inn.

Managed by Fat Gruber the place has little business through most of the year, which explains the little care Gruber has on maintaining the place. Doors are normally closed except for festival season or at the times the regular travelling merchants are expected.

zebediah
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#49 Post by zebediah »

Pulpatoon wrote: zebediah: There is a Holywell street in town, so there must have been a holy well somewhere around here at some point in time. Is it still around? Was it part of the temple? Sacred to Dianae, perhaps? Or maybe the town hall was built over top of it, or something.
Hi Pulp, I believe the comment above relates to KingOfCowards' post above, right?

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#50 Post by Pulpatoon »

zebediah wrote:
Pulpatoon wrote: zebediah: There is a Holywell street in town, so there must have been a holy well somewhere around here at some point in time. Is it still around? Was it part of the temple? Sacred to Dianae, perhaps? Or maybe the town hall was built over top of it, or something.
Hi Pulp, I believe the comment above relates to KingOfCowards' post above, right?
Right, so it does.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#51 Post by Pulpatoon »

mb. wrote: I know there's a Oat Market Road, but I figured a) there's likely to be much more at the market than just oats, and b) that little square at the southwest corner of the castle would be perfect for a market, so that's where I'm thinking it is. Still not sure about the scale of the map, so maybe that's a bit small?
I think I'm leaning towards a pretty small scale for the village. Probably less than a hundred buildings in the whole town, not counting the fishing shacks down by the river.

I was thinking that the little square would be the town square, and the large parcel just south of it, on Grennes Street, would be the village green (or, at least, the northern 2/3's of it. So, both areas are probably turned over to the Market on market days.

A few thinks that I think are implied in the naming of the streets:
Oats, fish, sheep, and timber are the backbone of the local economy, the products that are produced in sufficient quantity to trade externally. Lots of other goods and produce come in for the local market.

Oat market is probably an old name from when it was just a path used to bring oats to market, as Purlambs Walk was for people bringing in sheep.

There are old salt mines to the north, and, many hundreds of years ago, they were a source of wealth and political power. However, as things became more lawful in the surrounding countries, cheaper, higher-quality sea salt became available. The regional economy has been pretty small-fry since then.

Okay, once I start coming up with trade histories for a campaign setting, I know I'm succumbing to the clomping foot of nerdism, and it's time to start looting kobold corpses.

zebediah
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#52 Post by zebediah »

Pulpatoon wrote:
Something finally pushed you to go make a name for yourself. What was it? Smokey, The Young Woodsman was there when it happened.

Someone or something connected to your father’s adventures came seeking revenge, and you had to fight it off.
+2 Str

Smokey helped you in the battle, and gains +1 Str.
A lone traveller once stopped by the Herebury's Hearth and remained there for a couple of days, talking to no one but Fat Gruber. In the morning of the third day after his arrival he came to Jonas' home asking about Barton. Jonas told him that Barton was his father and that he was dead, to which the stranger responded that he knew it but he would still be getting his vengeance anyway and knocked Jonas down. Just as the man was about to slit the young man's throat Smokey, who just happened to be passing by, charged the man using whatever he had at hand as a weapon. Smokey's timely action allowed Jonas to get back on his feet and arm himself. Fighting together the kids managed to keep the man at bay and just as people were starting to notice the struggle the attacker ran away, escaping the city before anyone could try to stop him.

Later that day Jonas and Smokey explained the incident to their friends and Bürd said that, judging by the description, that man was probably a barbarian from far north, most likely connected to the barbarian warlord Barton overthrew many years before.

mb.
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#53 Post by mb. »

Pulpatoon wrote:Okay, once I start coming up with trade histories for a campaign setting, I know I'm succumbing to the clomping foot of nerdism, and it's time to start looting kobold corpses.
That gives me an idea… or is this too weird?

Wicht Hill
This is just a small hill at the furthest southwest corner of the village, just inside The Ditch, with a stunted oak growing at the apex. Most people in Herebury would never give it a second glance.

What very few villagers know is that Wicht Hill hill was formed a couple generations ago when the village was attacked by a large pack of kobolds. It was a close fight, but the villagers won with heavy losses, and this is where the kobold corpses were piled after the battle.

Dizlexus
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Re: The Village of Herebury (Drafts)

#54 Post by Dizlexus »

NPC and LOCATION

In the Herebury Market stands Herebury's Fur Trader run by ol' Harry. Ol'Harry is a retired adventurer who lost an eye fighting Goblins. He spends all his spare time in The Red Herring telling stories no one believes.

Smokey knows Ol'HArry real well. He brings him furs when the hunting is good.
All GMs are evil.
What foulness goads your laughter? (Pulpatoon, 03/26/14)

KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#55 Post by KingOfCowards »

Pulpatoon wrote:zebediah: There is a Holywell street in town, so there must have been a holy well somewhere around here at some point in time. Is it still around? Was it part of the temple? Sacred to Dianae, perhaps? Or maybe the town hall was built over top of it, or something.
The holy well that gave Holywell street its namesake is not actually a well at all, but a natural spring that feeds off of the Serene River underground. Historically it was named after the goddess, Sereidonna, the ancient protector of the Serene River. But few even remember that goddess now, a shrine commemorating the spring has long since crumbled and has been either transplanted or repossessed for scrap.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#56 Post by Pulpatoon »

It's gonna be hard to make the scenario live up to all this solid gold awesomeness! Good job, folks.

GreyWolfVT

#57 Post by GreyWolfVT »

I love it when a plan comes together. ;) We did it guys we really messed up the DM :lol:
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

mb.
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#58 Post by mb. »

Yeah, maybe we should just generate characters and stop? :lol:

Pulp: it'll be awesome. We have faith in you. The nerd is strong in this one. ;)

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#59 Post by Pulpatoon »

mb. wrote:Yeah, maybe we should just generate characters and stop? :lol:
So, for future reference, there is a game called Microscope, which is nothing but collaborative world creation. It's actually the game that got me back into gaming. Super-highly recommended. We should give it a spin, sometime.

GreyWolfVT

#60 Post by GreyWolfVT »

sounds like a plan Pulp. If and when just let me know. ;)

Return to “Adventure 1: Death Comes to Herebury”