Characters (Generation)

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Characters (Generation)

#1 Post by Pulpatoon »

Okay, so.

In Beyond the Wall, characters are typically generated out of playbooks representing various character archetypes, and it is done as a group, so that everyone can take into consideration each other's developing history.

This is the thread where we'll do that. It will take a few days, as there are quite a few rolls to make. You are allowed to ditch one roll entirely if it takes your character down a path you really aren't interested in.

Here's our line up, so far:
GreyWolfVT: Assistant Beast-Keeper
MonkeyWrench: Village Hero
zebediah: Heir to Legend
MrHemlocks: please select a character archetype in from the Character Generation Overview post.
Dizlexus: Young Woodsman
KingOfCowards: Devout Acolyte
mb: Dwarven Rune Caster

GreyWolf: The old witch in the village took a liking to you when you were still young, and you now keep her animals for her. While what you do may seem inconsequential, the witch seems to consider you to be vitally important, and favors you above all others. You dream of a more exciting life.
You have a knack with animals. Your Constitution and Wisdom begin at 10, and all of your other ability scores begin at 8.

Monkey Wrench: While you are still young, you have made quite the name for yourself in the village. The common folk look to you to solve their problems and protect them from dangers.
You are sturdy and well-built. Your Strength and Constitution begin at 10, and all of your other ability scores begin at 8.

Dizlexus: Hunter, gatherer, or guardian, it takes a brave soul to wander the woods. You go where few in your village would dare, and, moreover, you feel at home in those places. You know every twig and leaf for miles around, and all your friends look to your guidance when leaving home.
You are agile and insightful. Your Dexterity and Wisdom begin at 10, and all of your other ability scores begin at 8.

KingOfCowards: While your childhood was that of an ordinary villager, something miraculous happened when you came of age. After a dramatic event, you felt the call of the old gods, and now worship them openly, as your ancestors did. One of these ancient deities shows you particular favor, and you now do his work amongst your people.
You are wise beyond your years. Your Wisdom begins at 12, and all of your other ability scores begin at 8.

mb: Even more than others of your kin, you grew up valuing the past and keeping the stories and chants of your people. At a young age, you were apprenticed to the rune master and learned the secret magic of the dwarves.
You are tough, and hold much lore in your head, but sometimes have little time for fools. Your Constitution, Intelligence, and Wisdom begin at 10, your Charisma begins at 6, and all of your other ability scores begin at 8.

Let's begin with a d12 roll from everybody to find out what your childhood was like.

Dizlexus
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Re: Characters

#2 Post by Dizlexus »

Smokey, young woodsman
[1d12] = 12
All GMs are evil.
What foulness goads your laughter? (Pulpatoon, 03/26/14)

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by Pulpatoon »

Dizlexus wrote:Smokey, young woodsman
[1d12] = 12
What did your parents do in the village? What did you learn from them?
Your father was a local merchant. You learned to name your price and charm your customers.
+2 Cha, +1 Int, +1 Dex, Skill: Haggling

zebediah
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#4 Post by zebediah »

Jonas will be a Heir to a Legend. Here goes the roll:

[1d12] = 11

mb.
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#5 Post by mb. »

Bürd Makelucky, Dwarven Runecaster
[1d12] = 6

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Pulpatoon »

zebediah wrote:Jonas will be a Heir to a Legend. Here goes the roll:

[1d12] = 11
Your father has always told you stories of how great a hero he was. Many of the other villagers scoff at his stories and pity you for being raised by such a liar, but you know that he is true and honest. Now you have his sword, a mighty weapon of power, and you will make a name for yourself to make him proud.
You are athletic and adventurous. Your Strength and Dexterity begin at 10, and all of your other ability scores begin at 8.

What did your parents do in the village? What did you learn from them?
You went on journeys into the woods to gather herbs and berries.
+2 Wis, +1 Con, +1 Dex, Skill: Herbalism

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by Pulpatoon »

mb. wrote:Bürd Makelucky, Dwarven Runecaster
[1d12] = 6
Even more than others of your kin, you grew up valuing the past and keeping the stories and chants of your people. At a young age, you were apprenticed to the rune master and learned the secret magic of the dwarves.
You are tough, and hold much lore in your head, but sometimes have little time for fools. Your Constitution, Intelligence, and Wisdom begin at 10, your Charisma begins at 6, and all of your other ability scores begin at 8.

What is the history of your clan?
They were the ruling clan of a mighty hold.
+2 Cha, +1 Con, +1 Int, +1 Wis

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by Pulpatoon »

After you have rolled your d12 and gotten the first bit of information about your character's background, please write a sentence or two describing a significant location in or near the village.

This location may or may not be directly related to the result that they just rolled. Feel free to use the result as inspiration or just to make up something that interests you.

Post the description in the "Village of Herebury" thread.

Thank you.

KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#9 Post by KingOfCowards »

Simon Glenross, Devout Acolyte

Childhood background: [1d12] = 5
Last edited by KingOfCowards on Fri May 16, 2014 3:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#10 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Abel assistant beast-keeper [1d12] = 3 bah i need tables so I can just do this lol. The waiting is killing me. But I cannot buy that pdf either only got 12 $ to my name until Friday.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by Pulpatoon »

KingOfCowards wrote:Simon Glenross, Devout Acolyte

Childhood background: [1d12] = 5
Your father was the local smith and taught you both hammer and bellows.

+2 Str, +1 Dex, +1 Cha, Skill: Smithing

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by Pulpatoon »

GreyWolfVT wrote:Abel assistant beast-keeper [1d12] = 3 bah i need tables so I can just do this lol. The waiting is killing me. But I cannot buy that pdf either only got 12 $ to my name until Friday.
Your parents were fishermen and you grew up by the river.

+2 Dex, +1 Str, +1 Wis, Skill: Fishing

Patience! All good things come to those assistant beast-keepers who wait.

GreyWolfVT

#13 Post by GreyWolfVT »

My parents were fishermen and I grew up by the river. Abel raised up as a fisherman came to long for taking care of animals. He longs for a life of travel though working as an assistant best-keeper is a job he wanted as a child but now even that and the life of fishing as a hobby and for food has made Abel grow bored with the simple life he wants to travel see things have an adventure. The river is very relaxing and is Abel's favored location as it relaxes him and reminds him of his childhood.

Abel patiently awaits further instructions. ;)
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by Pulpatoon »

GreyWolfVT wrote:Abel patiently awaits further instructions. ;)
It's my hope to keep everyone progressing through the tables at about the same pace, so I'm waiting till the d12's are in before asking for the next roll.

If anyone hasn't chimed in within... oh, 36 hours or so? I'll roll their die for them.

GreyWolfVT

#15 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Pulpatoon wrote:
GreyWolfVT wrote:Abel patiently awaits further instructions. ;)
It's my hope to keep everyone progressing through the tables at about the same pace, so I'm waiting till the d12's are in before asking for the next roll.

If anyone hasn't chimed in within... oh, 36 hours or so? I'll roll their die for them.
makes sense. ;)

MonkeyWrench
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by MonkeyWrench »

This seems fun :lol:

Here's Marcus's roll! [1d12] = 11

Life is a roller coaster, if you don't stop to enjoy it then you may as well not even ride.

GreyWolfVT

#17 Post by GreyWolfVT »

silly me forgot the share of the character sheet.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by Pulpatoon »

MonkeyWrench wrote:This seems fun :lol:

This is the same childhood description as Jonas, heir to legend. It's up to you a zebediah to work out the implications of this: are you his younger brother? Were you friends who played in the fields while your parents picked herbs? Where your parents rivals who competed for the rarest herbs?

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by Pulpatoon »

I've been asked to provide a bit of clarification here, since this not the normal OSR procedure.

First, let me say, this is going great. Herebury is already starting to look like a really interesting place.

Basically, we're co-designing a setting. The village of Herebury, and the entire world that surrounds it are unfomred. As you learn more about your character, you'll also add details to that world, one element at a time. All of these elements will build off each other to create something pretty great that no one of us would have come up with on our own. And, hopefully, you'll all feel as knowledgeable and invested in the place as if your characters would their hometown!

Some very general advice for collaboration:
1. Be specific enough to give other people things to spark off of, but not so specific that you have told the definitive story and shut anyone else out of being able to add on or change things.
2. Don't get too precious about anything you add to the mix. It will very likely get changed or tweaked or recontextualized as it simmers in the stew of our collective imaginings.
3. This is an old rule of improv: When something strikes you as wrong, don't say "No," say "Yes, and..." See how you can extend the idea to a point where it fits.
4. Don't worry about messing up or being boring or whatever. You never know what little detail is going to inspire someone else.

Okay, that's the general. Now to the specific.
1. Right now, you know a little bit about your character's early childhood. No need to project them into adulthood yet. There's a lot more to learn about their history.
2. Your location descriptions can be as long and elaborate or as short and straight-forward as you like.
3. Once all the d12 rolls are in, we'll proceed with the next table. It deals with what made your character stand out as a child.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

zebediah
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#20 Post by zebediah »

Pulpatoon wrote:
MonkeyWrench wrote:This seems fun :lol:

This is the same childhood description as Jonas, heir to legend. It's up to you a zebediah to work out the implications of this: are you his younger brother? Were you friends who played in the fields while your parents picked herbs? Where your parents rivals who competed for the rarest herbs?
Edit: just saw MW's post in the other threat, great stuff!

Return to “Adventure 1: Death Comes to Herebury”