Chpt. 4 - The Tower of Roses

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Chpt. 4 - The Tower of Roses

#1 Post by Grognardsw »

That night the Fellowship of Law sleeps uneasily. Distant noises from below occasionally interupt sleep. Raquinel in particular, who has beeen prone to visions these last few days, seems particularly restive. The adventurers are tired, drained physically and mentally by the various ordeals in the Palace. Some wonder if the experiences in the Palace reflect the larger challenges facing the forces of Law in the Realms as they battle encroaching Chaos. War is hell.

It is well past midnight when everyone, even Flint and Honnilee who are on watch at that moment, experience the same dream/vision...
It is sundering the Palace from beneath, devouring all, a behemoth growing and growing...

Thank the gods it is only a dream. The next morning, only a little better rested, the party eats rations and continues on its way.
Second level map thus far, from the entry from the Tower...

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

Re: Chpt. 4 - The Tower of Roses

#2 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Bjorn arises and checks on Raquinel he had dreamt about her and checks her unfortunately he knows her condition will not change. Terrible feelings stir in him that he knows of no healing that can reverse her condition ans so he frets and fusses to take care of her.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

MonkeyWrench
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by MonkeyWrench »

Ianin stretches and collects his gear, "Let us make the necessary preparations for everyone and be on our way, I think dawdling here any longer is a mistake yes?"
Life is a roller coaster, if you don't stop to enjoy it then you may as well not even ride.

Marcel
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#4 Post by Marcel »

Poltux readies the make-shift stretcher. He'll position his weapons and have an idea how to guard if the situation calls for it. " Lady Raquinel, when your ready, me and Bjorn are going to move you onto the stretcher, the time is right and returning for you is not an option. Are you ready Bjorn? On three.....one....two....three..." With a firm grip, Poltux brings-up the rear with Ranquinel in-tow.

GreyWolfVT

#5 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Marcel wrote:Poltux readies the make-shift stretcher. He'll position his weapons and have an idea how to guard if the situation calls for it. " Lady Raquinel, when your ready, me and Bjorn are going to move you onto the stretcher, the time is right and returning for you is not an option. Are you ready Bjorn? On three.....one....two....three..." With a firm grip, Poltux brings-up the rear with Ranquinel in-tow.
Bjorn "Aye Poltux I am ready. I appreciate you offering to do this."
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by tkrexx »

Flint's eyes seem swollen and unwilling to open. He feels as though too much wine has been consumed the eve before. A nightmare while fully awake is an omen not to be taken lightly. His eyes lance from one party member to another, seeking answers from his kin, yet none seem forthcoming. Finally he decides to give voice to his fears. I am not accustomed to having nightmares before I sleep. Please tell me I am not the only one among us who had a dreadful vision last night? I have had fitful dreams since entering this accursed place, but last night I was on watch, and not asleep. The creature I saw... Was horrible. So much so I lowered my eyes, then I saw a book. A book of evil spells I must guess. That is my most vivid memory. He looks to the other members of the company for explanation.

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by tkrexx »

WHY would you bring that up now? Honnilee groans as she rolls her bedding. I'm trying to forget that nasty... Ugly... Hideous... She throws her hands up and sighs. But I was awake also. Why would anyone have that dream while still awake? She waits until someone else speaks, then retrieves the sack of gems she stashed the night before.

MonkeyWrench
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by MonkeyWrench »

Ianin comments while getting his things in order, in a tone that suggests he has more important things to think about, "We have experienced visions and dreams from the beginning, one can infer that these dreams have been getting worse each night we spend. So the real question is are they getting worse because we are nearing our goal, or do they get worse the more time we spend here, gradually doing more harm the longer we stay. Either way the answer is clear, we should press on and retrieve the staff, if it is here and not dally around longer than needed."
Life is a roller coaster, if you don't stop to enjoy it then you may as well not even ride.

GreyWolfVT

#9 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Bjorn briefly involving himself in this discussion of dreams and visions "I think it has more to do with the curse upon this place. It eventually drove the princess mad and I am sure the good people that had lived here experienced these nightmares as it were. This place has a foul stench of chaos and evil upon it and the land here is somewhat blighted. I imagine out druid has a similar assessment. If we were to remove the artifact that has fouled the place the strange ruby as I suspect the curse eventually might wear off over time."

greyarea
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#10 Post by greyarea »

Shen says, it could be this place. It could also be the war between Chaos and Law invading our dreams. The Lords of Chaos know that we exist, right? Perhaps they wish to deter us in whatever way they can.

Shen will eat a quick meal and then check the halls on the way to the Tower of Roses.

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by Grognardsw »

"Aye, your theories all sound plausible," adds Idwellin the druid. He holds forth a jug. "I found this routing around in the burned room early this morning on my watch. It contains some of that pink liquid from the Hall of Pools!" He offers it to his companions.

Bjorn the cleric and Poltux the fighter carry Raquinel in the stretcher as the adventurers move down hallway to the Tower stairs. Shen searches for dangers in the corridor but finds none. It is probably 9:00 am. The hall is quiet. The stairs continue up to the third level, opens to a portal in the third floor, and continues up. From your vantage at the third floor portal, there is a corridor stretching the whole distance of the tower (dividing the floor in half.) There is a door in the middle of the south wall, and two doors in the north wall.
- Those who'd like a swig of the pink, roll 1d8+1 for healing. You'll recall the effectiveness of the liquid deteriorates over time outside the Hall.
- Spells recovered for casters.
- Hit Points

Shen the Monk: 18/18
Ianin the Magic-User: 12/12
Andover the Ranger: 23/31
Honilee the Thief: 16/18
Bjorn the Cleric: 14/17
Flint the Illusionist: 9/9
Poltux the Fighter: 19/20
Idwillen the Druid: 9/17
Raquinel the magic-user: 1/10

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by Zhym »

Andover takes a drink from the jug and keeps an eye out for hostiles.

GreyWolfVT

#13 Post by GreyWolfVT »

greyarea
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#14 Post by greyarea »

Shen doesn't take any pink stuff. He instead listens at the three doors, the one to the south first, the other two in turn, trying to remain quiet as he investigates. He motions for Honilee to check them as well.

Marcel
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#15 Post by Marcel »

With a hand gesture, Poltux declines the drink. He looks ahead at the doors in the north wall and then at the door in the south wall. Listening as he waits.

MonkeyWrench
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by MonkeyWrench »

Ianin ponders, "I wonder if that healing liquid can restore her back?" He otherwise declines the offer with a friendly head shake and gets ready to move on.

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by Grognardsw »

"I will try some of the pink liquid," says Raquinel. While it does heal some of her bruises and battering (3 HP), her paralyzation remains.

Shen the monk and Honnilee the hobbit creep forward down the hallway. 

They listen at the doors and hear nothing. The south door is unlocked; the two north doors are locked.

greyarea
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#18 Post by greyarea »

Shen lets the others know and suggests they try the south door.

If he gets the go-ahead, he will open it.

GreyWolfVT

#19 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Bjorn "As usual I agree with Shen, but it matters not as at the moment my hands are full. Honnilee couldn't you pick the locks before Shen goes and breaks the door down?"

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by tkrexx »

Honnilee gives the Dwarven Priest a look. One door at a time, she hisses just above a whisper. We unlock too many doors at once and things might be able to escape. Once the south door is open, she'll give a couple of quick "turkey-looks" to check its contents.

Return to “War is Hell - Palace of the Silver Princess”