OOC VII

Wyzard
Ranger
Ranger

Re: OOC VII

#3 Post by Wyzard »

Man. That was a heck of a disappointing roll on Sleep.

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by thirdkingdom »

So, it looks like a made a mistake in my previous IC post, that will be rectified soon. I'd like to clarify a couple of things, however.
1)If I make a mistake, or omit something, please bring it up here, as opposed to in a PM. I hope I never screw up egregiously enough that it has to be hashed out in PMs.
2)It looks like I haven't been clear enough about combat order, especially as it relates to missile fire. Unfortunately, Dark Dungeons does not go into as much detail as I would like on the matter. The below is from p. 131 of Dark Dungeons:
Although in reality combat is fluid with actions happening simultaneously, in Dark Dungeons the action is split into a number of discrete rounds during which each combatant (usually) gets one action. Within the round, the action of each combatant is handled one at a time, in order of their initiative.
The above essentially states that all actions within a round happen at roughly the same time, even though the actions of each combatant are dealt with one at a time. What this means -- or at least how I interpret it -- is the following:
1)Death is resolved at the end of the round. This is when I make the Save v. Death check to see if a PC really dies. This also creates instances where, for instance, the second shrew was able to attack, even though it had already suffered enough damage from the oil to kill it.
2)It is not possible to move in such a way to avoid being attacked. For instance, you can't declare that, if you get a higher initiative roll than your opponent, you are going to move in, attack, and then move away before your opponent can attack. It is also not possible to attack an opponent and then move out of the way to allow missile fire against the same opponent*. If a character is involved in melee with a monster, and the monster is subject to missile fire, there is a chance of hitting the character instead.
3)It is possible to beat a dead horse. In other words, if there are two PCS are attacking a single monster, and the monster is slain with the first PCs attack, the second PC's attack will also be made against the PC, even through their target is technically dead (also, see point #1, above).

*during the span of one round.

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by thirdkingdom »

Couple of things:

I'm going to say it takes one round to dispatch a sleeping orc, per orc. So, Severi by himself will be able to complete the job in seven rounds (there are currently seven orcs outside, that you see).

Also, while I totally think giant shrews are badass, they will be having a much more diminished affect the more often you encounter them. Essentially, every encounter will come with a progressively better chance of making the save against them. Hopefully, this will mean less running away, but will still allow the possibility of some running away. You know, for laughs.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#7 Post by Alethan »

thirdkingdom wrote:...You know, for laughs.
I thought it was funny.
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by thirdkingdom »

Al, I'm going to wait 'til we hear back from the other players before rolling out Rhys' action. I might have been a little too generous in syncing your time with the rest of the party, but the way it is set up now Rhys is planning on striding in during what would be Round Four -- GSW has five rounds remaining from this point in his attempt to heal himself with the First Aid skill, Severi has just dispatched his first orc and Mursely and Thurgan will just have returned from their little jaunt down the road. The men-at-arms who fled will return during Round Five, but keep in mind that they have no interest in venturing within any dungeons.

MonsterMash
Ranger
Ranger

#9 Post by MonsterMash »

I did find it funny suddenly having the PCs running while some of the mercenaries stood fast as failed saves are a thing with the OSR rules, glad that the effect of the shrews can diminish over time.

Thurgan will pretty much look to get into melee when he gets back as fighting orcs is definitely a Dwarf thing.

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by thirdkingdom »

Wyzard, don't know if you saw Tenkar's most recent post on G+ talking about the new Fantasy Trip clones. http://www.tenkarstavern.com/2014/05/fr ... w.html?m=1

Anyway, you executed that last orc just in time; I was ready to post that it called out to its companions.

Wyzard
Ranger
Ranger

#11 Post by Wyzard »

I had not seen that. Thanks!

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#12 Post by Alethan »

TK, what's the current day? I couldn't find it in any of the recent threads...

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by thirdkingdom »

Alethan wrote:TK, what's the current day? I couldn't find it in any of the recent threads...
It is Yarthmont 11. You can typically find that in the "Calendar" thread.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#14 Post by Alethan »

thirdkingdom wrote:
Alethan wrote:TK, what's the current day? I couldn't find it in any of the recent threads...
It is Yarthmont 11. You can typically find that in the "Calendar" thread.
Ah, ok. Thanks!

Wyzard
Ranger
Ranger

#16 Post by Wyzard »

I think we should circle around to the east or west, and come at one of the buildings that's off by itself.

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by shaidar »

how about we circle around and check out 9 and 10?

Wyzard
Ranger
Ranger

#18 Post by Wyzard »

I'd prefer to do 8, since it's more isolated. I could sign on to trying to creep up on the 9/10/11 cluster, though.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#19 Post by Alethan »

Wyzard wrote:I'd prefer to do 8, since it's more isolated. I could sign on to trying to creep up on the 9/10/11 cluster, though.
I'd rather try #8, as well.

MonsterMash
Ranger
Ranger

#20 Post by MonsterMash »

I'd say no 8 too.

Return to “In Search of Adventure”