#241 Post by migellito »

I say go for it :)

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

Re: Strategy thread

#242 Post by Alethan »

Yeah, I think I will! :)
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#243 Post by Argennian »

Yeah, I agree that's a capital notion, Al.

The fact that Till doesn't use a shield and has that 18 Dex kinda almost begs for it anyways! ;)
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)
Brok Sterling: Human Assassin3 (ToniXX's Incursion into Newiron OSRIC Playtest)
Tanik Tremwoodak: Dwarf Cleric3 (Dave's 1e Skype Game)

DM: home-brew OSRIC "A New Hope to the West" campaign

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#244 Post by Alethan »

And that effectively almost doubles Till's chances at being more useful in normal combat, too, since his standard attack isn't all that great.

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#245 Post by Argennian »

Yosef has lined out some things (in the Action Thread) that he wanted to accomplish for our first day at the hopefully "cleared-out" tower compound.

I know we're waiting for Ron to update with a response, but does anyone else have any ideas or strategies for doing a thorough and complete inspection of the compound or the items we've accumulated to date?
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#246 Post by dmw71 »

Alethan wrote:Hmmm... I think the time for parlay has passed. Unless by "parlay" you mean to stab them many times with the pointy end of a sword...
Just reading through this strategy thread and this cracked me up! :lol:
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#247 Post by Alethan »

dmw71 wrote:
Alethan wrote:Hmmm... I think the time for parlay has passed. Unless by "parlay" you mean to stab them many times with the pointy end of a sword...
Just reading through this strategy thread and this cracked me up! :lol:
:) I have my moments.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#248 Post by Alethan »

rredmond wrote: Hunting? Moving to the end of the pass? Barring any obstructions that is... :)
Well? Thoughts from the rest of the party?

Normally, I would be thinking that we needed to replenish our food supplies, but we did luck out with killing three giant snakes and the bear, and then had the foresight to cook as much of them up as possible for rations. That should help carry us for some time, I'd imagine.

Ron, what do you consider our food stocks to be at? I admit, I haven't really been tracking it like I should. Honestly didn't expect to be at Day 17 not having reached our destination yet... But I'm perfectly happy with slow and steady.

Do you need us to stall a bit until you have the rest of the module in-hand? Did they say what the delay was in getting it to you? Maybe if you directed them to our forum, they would see how much fun we're having with it and be happy to get it to you post haste? If it comes down to it, though, I'd be happy to either a) chip in a bit so you can just buy it or b) pay for it all myself and gift it to you.)

I'm still trying to figure out how we can keep the tower as a small base of operations. If we NPC Derek, then maybe Mr. DM will let us keep him here as a tower guard? I'd be willing to leave the porter here, as well, at least temporarily. I don't mind going into a compound with the link boy holding his light, as he's supposed to. But I also like the idea of having someplace to fall back to that is manned by friendly people.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#249 Post by dmw71 »

Alethan wrote:Normally, I would be thinking that we needed to replenish our food supplies, but we did luck out with killing three giant snakes and the bear, and then had the foresight to cook as much of them up as possible for rations. That should help carry us for some time, I'd imagine.
I would think, if we have an adequate food supply (?), I would just assume not risk hunting. Not that I'm worried about wildlife causing us issues, but we do expose ourselves to other random encounters which might be more deadly.

I vote we push on and head to the end of the pass.
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#250 Post by ToniXX »

dmw71 wrote:
Alethan wrote:Normally, I would be thinking that we needed to replenish our food supplies, but we did luck out with killing three giant snakes and the bear, and then had the foresight to cook as much of them up as possible for rations. That should help carry us for some time, I'd imagine.
I would think, if we have an adequate food supply (?), I would just assume not risk hunting. Not that I'm worried about wildlife causing us issues, but we do expose ourselves to other random encounters which might be more deadly.

Agreed (again)
"Sir, our research shows that the bird is equal to or greater than the word."

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#251 Post by Alethan »

Let's give Argennian time to throw in his two cents and we'll take it from there. :)

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#252 Post by Argennian »

Alethan wrote:Let's give Argennian time to throw in his two cents and we'll take it from there. :)
Many thanks for the consideration, good sir! :)
ToniXX wrote:
dmw71 wrote:

Agreed (again)
Also agreed.

In regards to the amount of food we should still have, I would think that the meat from those 3 snakes and the bear would be able to hold us over for quite some time. But, we do currently have 9 mouths to feed so it's understandable that we would be going through it all fairly fast. Did we get any iron rations off of the dwarves or their DAM?

Regardless, if we leave Derek and our porter behind, we'll have to leave them some rations as well...

I would think that we should be able to hunt small game or perhaps look for a river or pond to do some fishing as we move forward. Would hate to have to eat one of the DAMs, but if we do, let's eat the one from the dwarves first! 8-)

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#253 Post by Alethan »

Argennian wrote: Many thanks for the consideration, good sir! :)
I'm trying! :)

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#254 Post by ToniXX »

I just realized that I may have done (probably did) something stupid: The rat bites cause disease, not necessarily poison. If this is the case, than I wasted a neutralize poison scroll, and I don't think we have a cure disease spell or scroll. We may want to return to the druidess at once, or it might just be the cleric and the barbarian that live to see the next sunset.

Flambeaux
Strider
Strider

#255 Post by Flambeaux »

I got the distinct impression that it was poison, not disease, that we were dealing with and that Neutralize Poison was the correct course of action.
And, if it wasn't, our characters are doing the best they can with the resources they have...sometimes they'll make the wrong decision, too. 8-)

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#256 Post by Argennian »

I agree with Chris in this. Normally, there is a percentile chance to contract disease from a normal giant rat bite (like 5-10%, iirc) but I do not believe these rats to be of the normal variety. And what's happening to Yosef is waay beyond what the onset of said disease or similar ailment should be. So, although we have no way of knowing for sure, I feel that the bite delivered some form of poison or similar toxin involved. If that be the case, then it wasn't necessarily a wasted use per se.

Although the only thing I'm baffled with, admittedly, is that if Yosef was the only one showing symptoms, why did Bruard use the scroll on Till instead of him?? :?

Edit: not sure if Yosef condition is going to continue to degrade but in addition to the 1 damage from the giant rat's bite, he has lost another Hit Point and a Strength point as well. He already has a low strength so if it gets any worse, he's gonna become a liability real quickly!

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#257 Post by Alethan »

Mitch, probably because Till rolled a one on his save. But that is just a guess...

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#258 Post by Argennian »

Alethan wrote:Mitch, probably because Till rolled a one on his save. But that is just a guess...

No worries, it's all good, Al. Was just wondering if perhaps there was something I missed that might have been PMed.

Is Till showing signs of the bite already? Perhaps Bruard realized something In Game we aren't privy to?

Either way, all good. Nobody lives forever, not even elves! :)

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#259 Post by Alethan »

Aw, we're not going to let you die, man.

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#260 Post by ToniXX »

Argennian wrote:
Alethan wrote:Mitch, probably because Till rolled a one on his save. But that is just a guess...

No worries, it's all good, Al. Was just wondering if perhaps there was something I missed that might have been PMed.

Is Till showing signs of the bite already? Perhaps Bruard realized something In Game we aren't privy to?

Either way, all good. Nobody lives forever, not even elves! :)
Mitch, I got a PM stating that Till's case was advancing quicker than yours. Not to say that yours is not worrisome, but just that it seemed Till was in a worse state.

Soooo... given everyone's input here (thank you) I'll use the other neutralize poison on Yosef now.

Return to “Legacy of the Unknown - Pacesetter Games Playtest (OSRIC module)”