Strategy thread

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Strategy thread

#1 Post by rredmond »

I'll read the OOC thread, and probably this one, but this one is for the interactions between the party members, so I won't feel obliged to read it :) . Feel free to use it as such. Talk about equipment needed, marching order, whatever.

My guess is it might be superfluous, but I'm trying something different from other PbPs I've seen.
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

Re: Strategy thread

#2 Post by Alethan »

Ok, so I have the first question to pose the rest of the party...

Should we try to hire a packhandler/torch bearer or two? Per the OSRIC rules, they run about 30 sp/month. I'm not a big fan of the kind of play where everyone has two or three henchmen fighters and you end up with a party of 17 traipsing through a dungeon and unable to sneak up on deaf elephant. But I'm not at all opposed to hiring a few people to carry extra supplies (food, ammo, torches or lanterns) in and help haul treasure out. Though I don't expect them to fight, I usually arm them with a short sword or an axe or something, just in case.

But I'm open to other ideas (or not hiring anyone). Thoughts?

I can never remember when CHA comes into play (hirelings or henchmen? or both?), but I think I'm the only one who didn't make CHA a dump stat (you can't be a suave and friendly thief without a high charisma!), so I don't mind doing the hiring if we would have the occasional CHA check.
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

migellito
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#3 Post by migellito »

I actually like to hire as many hirelings as possible. Not only is it more in line with real old-school play, but it vastly improves the PC's chances of not getting killed :)

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#4 Post by Alethan »

migellito wrote:I actually like to hire as many hirelings as possible. Not only is it more in line with real old-school play, but it vastly improves the PC's chances of not getting killed :)
The groups I played Holmes and 1e with back in the 80s never had a lot of hirelings. My biggest concern with larger numbers is you get too many hirelings fighting and taking 1/2 shares of treasure and XP and you severely gimp the party's ability to level. I'm fine with going with the party consensus if everyone else wants a bunch of hirelings, but I probably wouldn't be the one to hire (i.e. manage) them, then.

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#5 Post by ToniXX »

I think one, maybe two hirelings would be alright, but it would be more challenging if it's just the four of us. I don't imagine we'll be too bogged down with treasure (or will we???), and at the moment I don't think any of use are overly encumbered.
"Sir, our research shows that the bird is equal to or greater than the word."

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Argennian »

I'm not necessarily opposed to hirelings, per se, but am also one who doesn't prefer a bunch of red shirts. I would vote for maybe a donkey (burro) or two to carry our supplies, with say a teamster (if needed/available), especially if we are going to be heading through a rugged mountain pass? As Ron stated in the other thread, none of the village folk (npcs) were too keen on heading into an area that none have ever returned from.

As far as the CHA, yeah, it affects moral/reaction & a PC's ability to lead whether it's a hireling or henchman (henchmen typically have a higher base percentage for loyalty factor). Till's high CHA would make him a great choice to do the hiring but also believe ToniXX's cleric has a decent score too!
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)
Brok Sterling: Human Assassin3 (ToniXX's Incursion into Newiron OSRIC Playtest)
Tanik Tremwoodak: Dwarf Cleric3 (Dave's 1e Skype Game)

DM: home-brew OSRIC "A New Hope to the West" campaign

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#7 Post by Alethan »

The first description said horses can't pass through the mountain, so I'm not sure if the DM will allow donkeys, either, but it might be worth a shot. If it is allowed, then one to carry supplies would be good, and then two hirelings (linkboy and laborer) for holding torches and such would be my suggestion.

migellito
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#8 Post by migellito »

I guess I would at least like 2 shieldbearers for a front rank in dungeons, then I'd get a spear to attack from the 2nd rank. I'd just pay them as opposed to giving them shares of treasure, although I realise that might not make a difference as far as xp is concerned. If it's ok with everyone, I'll go ahead and post an attempt to hire a couple :)

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by rredmond »

Donkey's have been taken into the pass, how far they've gotten has yet to be determined :)

Horses haven't made it in - at it's beginnings there is some shifting loose rocky soil, and, at least at it's start, the path can be very narrow.
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#10 Post by Alethan »

migellito wrote:I guess I would at least like 2 shieldbearers for a front rank in dungeons, then I'd get a spear to attack from the 2nd rank. I'd just pay them as opposed to giving them shares of treasure, although I realise that might not make a difference as far as xp is concerned. If it's ok with everyone, I'll go ahead and post an attempt to hire a couple :)
Like I said, I have absolutely no problem with anyone else hiring red shirt combatants - certainly there are different playing styles and I don't necessarily think one is any better than the other. It just isn't something I would normally do (having one dedicated henchman aside, that is).

That would be just one full additional person to divide up XP with, so that isn't too bad.

I think we should get a little donkey or burro to pack supplies - we'll need a bit of food for a two week journey through the mountains, assuming it takes us that long to come back! I'll be happy to have Till hire out the linkboy and laborer. Does anyone think we need more than one donkey? Or more laborers?

I'll write up a list later this evening of a few supplies we'll accept from the townspeople before we leave...

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#11 Post by Alethan »

Would like to hire for one month:
Linkboy (1) (1 month)
Laborer (1) (1 month)

Tentative list of supplies I'd like to get from the villagers:
mule (1) (carrying...)
- hooded lamp (2 wt)
- 10 pints lamp oil (10 wt)
- 10 torches (10 wt)
- blankets, woolen (3 ct)(6 wt)
- tent (20 wt)
- sacks, large (6 ct)(4 wt)
- trail rations (60 days worth)(60 wt)
- sling bullets (36) (12 wt)

60 days of trail rations for the two hirelings (to be carried by them)
10' pole for the laborer (increases carrying capacity)
dagger (for the linkboy)
hand axe (for the laborer)

We will need more supplies than this - probably another mule, even. I figured I'd shoot for a load weight of 100 lbs for one mule... this is 123 lbs and not even close to what we might really need. I've only accounted for enough food for two people for a month (plus the hirelings' food). We have to count on it taking the same amount of time to go through the mountains coming back as it did to go there in the first place, so we might be looking at being gone at least one month just in travel time.
Last edited by Alethan on Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by Argennian »

Agreed on the extra rations and supplies, which Yosef is willing to help pay for. He would probably want to purchase another quiver or two with extra arrows, an extra waterskin, and maybe a couple of other items, based on our destination. Curious what season it is and what the weather will be like, if we're going up into the cold (and snow?) and so forth. The extra food you noted will be a must regardless! :)

Also not sure if a mule would be able to handle the terrain that was forecast, although it can carry a lot of gear. We might just need to get a couple or three donkeys, as you stated previous, and hopefully a linkboy and laborer. I know we're also trying to hire a couple men at arms, so we might need to pool our gold and supply them with some good gear (Yosef has 130gp).
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#13 Post by Alethan »

This is from the OSRIC rules (monster --> animals section)...
Mules, sterile crosses between horses and donkeys, are surefooted
enough to be taken into dungeons. Their stubbornness
is legendary. The stats given for mules can also be used for
asses and donkeys, although these should have their hp rolled
on d6s rather than d8s to reflect their smaller size.
So I was assuming the mule is what we would need. Also, mules are listed as being for sale in the Equipment list.

From a realistic point of view, I grew up on a farm. Our neighbors helped us with various tasks and any time we had to get equipment or do some work on a certain part of the farm that was impossible to get to with tractors, they would bring their three mules over. They were fence-jumpers and sure-footed and always able to get to the back corner when nothing else could (aside from walking). So I think if mules can't make it, then nothing probably could.

I'm going to update my list a bit, since you mentioned ammo... Also, it might not matter what the season is where we currently are; once we get into the mountains, we could get high enough that there is snow regardless. (hence the three wool blankets).

migellito
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#14 Post by migellito »

I would prefer asses to mules or donkeys, to facilitate lots of puns. :)

Agreed on all the above, by the way - looks good. We may want more than one tent, depending on how big they are. In my 1e days we played the standard tent as a 2man, but if we increased the price a bit maybe we could get a mash-style everest expedition size model. :)

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#15 Post by Alethan »

I agree we definitely need more supplies. The lanterns/torches and some of the rations were for party consumption, but the tent and blankets were for me/the hirelings I picked up.

I was counting on others to post some equipment requests for the rest of what we needed so as to avoid being unofficially designated as the supply officer. :D

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by Argennian »

I posted a request for some additional items as well but might need to amend or add to that prior to departure. I know we still need to know if we'll be able to find hirelings, and if so, what their current equipment and gear situation is (if any).

Based on current season/time of year (spring time), a winter cloak and boots might not be necessary, but as Alethan stated, if this mountain valley is high enough in altitude, there could easily be snow and icy conditions present. I guess when we get our lists of needed gear and support personal confirmed, we'll see how many mules we'll need! :)

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#17 Post by Alethan »

I'd say at least one more mule, if not two, will be necessary. If all we got additionally were enough rations for Yosef, Jeloon, and Bruard for a month, then that would be 90 lbs right there (unless you all wanted to carry your own).

But if Migellito gets two hirelings, then that's another 60 days worth of rations we'll need. Plus, as he mentioned, we'll probably want a few more tents, maybe some more lamp oil or torches, and spare ammo for Jeloon and the Jeloon Goons. I think that's going to mean two mules. We might want to have another laborer, so we have a linkboy and two laborers to watch the three mules (and it wouldn't hurt to have them on hand with a pole, as well, just in case we have to pack stuff).

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by Argennian »

I had the intention during our journey, if we came into contact with friendlies, Yosef would ask if any had seen or heard anything of/about Rogahn and Zelligar and what might have happened to them.

I had originally thought to keep our foray into the Caves of Quasqueton to ourselves, but it is possible that these elves might have already heard this had occurred and that there had been a lengthly celebration at the village. If directly questioned about it, Yosef does not plan to lie but figures it might behoove us not to offer this fact up straight away.

Any thoughts or ideas on strategies regarding this going forward, gang?

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#19 Post by Alethan »

Hmmm... A halfling, an elf, a half-orc, and a human cleric clean out the caves. The village celebrates for a few weeks. Later, a group of elves comes across a party containing a halfling, an elf, a half-orc, and a human cleric leaving on a path from that same village. Nobody thinks anything of it.

That doesn't seem very likely.

A group of elves come across a party consisting of, among other obvious hirelings, a halfling, an elf, a half-orc, and a human cleric. This sounds suspiciously like the same group of people who recently cleaned out the Caves of Quasqueton. They might not say anything, but they know they are speaking with somewhat experienced people.

That seems more likely.

I suppose it would depend on the people we meet, Arg. In some cases, I'd imagine our exploits would have reached their ears and, unless they have the brains of gully dwarves, they'll be able to put two and two together. In some cases, they could be supportive of the cause or, at least, willing to be helpful or non-hindering.

Of course, we could also try to use the previous exploits as some kind of "fear factor" should we want to bluff our way out of a situation.

I think we'll have to play it by ear. But definitely good things to think about.

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#20 Post by ToniXX »

Good points Arg and Alethan. I think Arg outlined the best policy, at least for now with what we know.
Argennian wrote:If directly questioned about it, Yosef does not plan to lie but figures it might behoove us not to offer this fact up straight away.
"Sir, our research shows that the bird is equal to or greater than the word."

Return to “Legacy of the Unknown - Pacesetter Games Playtest (OSRIC module)”