3-Return to the Surface (Roleplaying in Waterdeep)

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

Re: 3-Return to the Surface (Roleplaying in Waterdeep)

#41 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Glimbe "I'd be happy with the two story flat in the trade district."
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

ylinett
Ranger
Ranger

#42 Post by ylinett »

Thorax will push for the last choice. I can do the stonework needed and can start smithing us armor again. For 5 extra gold we would be fools to say no.

Spiderdown
Tracker
Tracker

#43 Post by Spiderdown »

spanningtree wrote:Tella - Elf Mage

That sounds like a good deal, how about you Muriel? Joining the order also sounds like something that will come in useful. If Muriel agrees she will produce her glowing dagger for identification.
That sounds perfect, Muriel agrees, although I'll need to wait for another time to take advantage of the identification spell as my purse is a bit light. I'm glad to join your most respectable order, and I have an item I'd love to have identified. When I can afford it, she finishes with a sunny smile.

spanningtree
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#44 Post by spanningtree »

Tella - Elf Mage

Muriel, the cost of the identification is covered with the book, as well as the fee to enter the order. Let's go ahead and make the trade. We'll find more coin down below.

Darkmane wrote: Our standard fee for identification spells is 500gp per item, but perhaps I can do two items for this book in trade? Also, if you ladies are interested in joining the Watchful Order, I could probably waive your entry fee? Membership, of course, gets you future discounts on potions, scrolls, spells for learning/tutelage, and normally we don't sell anything magical to non-members. If you are interested, I can take you through the responsibilities and rules of conduct for the Order, all fairly straightforward."[/dialog]
Anall nathrack uthos bethos doss yell yenva. -Merlin

Darkmane
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#45 Post by Darkmane »

Tella and Muriel - Item Identification:

It takes two days but after returning to the Tower of the Order, you find Olar there with the dagger, the sword, and then also a hammer, a vice, and a chisel made from strange metal - it might be mithral or adamantite?

These are very nice items, the dagger bears an enchantment of pussiance and the power of light.

(Game effect: +1 dagger, light source as a candle)

"The sword also has an enchantment of pussiance, but then has a very interesting ability. It regenerates almost any damage, and is extremely hard in addition. Normally, sword makers don't make swords out of metal this hard, since if they don't bend, they will shatter. This sword will never shatter. Watch this:"

Olar puts the sword in the vice, and then takes the chisel, puts it directly on the sword edge, and hammers it with a hard strike. He puts a dent in the blades edge, much smaller than you would have thought considering the strength of the strike. However, a few moments later, without you seeing it directly move, the swords edge is restored, and perfectly sharp. The blade looks perfectly formed again, with no scratches on the blade, except for the original ultrafine markes from the original sharpening strokes from the maker. Olar laughs at the changed blade and says, "Our spells revealed that, unless the enchantments were broken on the blade, you will never need to sharpen this sword, and any damage done to it will heal, within a minute or two."

(Game effect: +1 sword, "Unbreakable" - never needs sharpening, very hard and resistant to damage, any damage that does occur is healed quickly)

Spiderdown
Tracker
Tracker

#46 Post by Spiderdown »

An unusual enchantment for certain, Muriel considers the blade as she takes it back. Many thanks Olar! I was a little worried to use a weapon without knowing it was entirely safe. While we're here, she smiles at him, I should mention that we've been looking into the Undermountain. Does the Order have any business we can help with there? Missing people, items that need to be tracked down, unusual creatures and so on.

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#47 Post by ybn1197 »

Darkmane wrote:Balthorr's Rare and Wondrous Treasures

"A living indeed! I like your style young dwarf, but you must come back from that cloud you're on! How about 330gp? A bit more gold for you, but still leaving an old man room to feed his six children!" Balthorr rubs his large belly as if hungry and stares down Cormack, waiting for his answer.
Cormack scratches his chin and pauses to think for a moment. "Fair enough," he says with an air that sounds like Balthorr is getting the better of him.

Cormack also pushes for the third option of rental properties.

spanningtree
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#48 Post by spanningtree »

Tella - Elf Mage

Aye, indeed useful items.... would you be interested in trading the dagger for draughts of healing? I tend to think that where we came from thise might indeed be more useful to us.

Darkmane
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#49 Post by Darkmane »

Olar thinks about it a moment,"I believe I could take the dagger for 4 potions of healing. I think there are many wizards in the order would would be interested in this dagger. Very useful for reading your spellbook in the dark, without risking fire, and it creates much less light than a light spell!"
(If you accept the offer, mark the potions on your sheet and remove the dagger)

spanningtree
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#50 Post by spanningtree »

Tella - Mage

Four draughts of healing would be excellent. I will take you up on your offer. She will hand the dagger over and accept the vials. Do we have any other business Muriel? I think we need to catch up with the 'guys'! Tella will also take a closer look at the journal she recovered to see of there is any useful information in it. She will start to use the journal as her own and start inscribing a map of what little she knows of Undermountain into it.

OCC: Sheet updated. The dagger will be missed but being a member of the living is better.

Spiderdown
Tracker
Tracker

#51 Post by Spiderdown »

No, I'm good. Well met Olar! We'll probably see you again soon. Muriel waves goodbye to the Speaker of the Order.

ylinett
Ranger
Ranger

#52 Post by ylinett »

Early in the morning, or perhaps late at night by some standards Brother Thorax quietly rises and heads out the door. Stein in hand and three "breakfast beers" in an otherwise empty stomach he makes his way to the Plinth. Arriving roughly when the fourth is finished he enters the structure and begins to look for the proper floor.

Darkmane
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#53 Post by Darkmane »

Thorax at the Plinth

Thorax heads across town into the trades ward, It isn't a long walk from where you were staying, and although you get lost once or twice during your stroll, you have your stein to keep your feet merrily thrumming down the cobblestones.

When you get to the needle-like spire that is known as the plinth, you see that it is an extremely high tower, soaring up into the early morning smoke from the fires of Waterdeep. Along the base are a series of large rocks, with a heavy iron wood door set into them. Amongst these rocks are flowers of every colour, some of them are tied with embroidered scarves bearing the names of newborns or deceased, you know not. Off the tower is a chapel, and there are some simple prayer chambers on the other side. You see a group of watchmen near the main door to the Plinth, they look a bit tired, so they are probably ready to come off shift soon.

"Morning sir dwarf! Arriving early for prayers!" The watchman is a young man, in his late teens or early twenties and he looks, frowning, at your stein, "Quick warning sir dwarf, desecration or damaging any temple including the Plinth carries a strict fine, also drunkeness at a place of worship is considered a crime if it interferes with worship services in progress. You don't look drunk to me, but why don't you leave that stein down here while you pay your respects, we can't let you wander around the plinth with that in hand, or everybody will be doing it soon."

OOC Apartment Voting:

I'm waiting on input from Tella, Dagmar, and Muriel on the apartment situation. We have 2 votes for Heroes Rest (cormack and Thorax) and 1 vote for the city apartment in the Trades Ward (Glimble). I'm assuming you chose that same day and have moved into a place (otherwise hotel fees alone would have chewed into your loot from your first mission.

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#54 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Glimble to those voting for apartments "You do realize that even though there are some huge places for decent prices we would be a larger target for robbery. I am sure Muriel has already come to that conclusion especially if I a mere cleric of Gond has come to that same conclusion. You might want to rethink your votes Cormack and Thorax."
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Spiderdown
Tracker
Tracker

#55 Post by Spiderdown »

GreyWolfVT wrote:Glimble to those voting for apartments "You do realize that even though there are some huge places for decent prices we would be a larger target for robbery. I am sure Muriel has already come to that conclusion especially if I a mere cleric of Gond has come to that same conclusion. You might want to rethink your votes Cormack and Thorax."
I'm with Glimble on this one. While we're out exploring the Undermountain I'd rather not have the local thieves' guild exploring our living room.

Which raises an excellent question; are there any courtesies that Muriel would normally pay to the local criminal institutions? Or does her alignment largely preclude dealing with such ruffians?

Darkmane
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#56 Post by Darkmane »

Muriel, you haven't heard anything yet about any organized criminal guild, but you haven't visited any of the places they might hang out. You don't have to kick in to anything like that, especially due to your alignment, unless you were forced to. So far, unless you were to start pick pocketing on the streets or start sneaking into homes or something, nothing you have done would trigger notice of any sort. In fact most would think you an elfy wizard.

ylinett
Ranger
Ranger

#57 Post by ylinett »

Thorax straightens to his full height, a massive brute of a dwarf he says "I am no supplicant, I am a true follower and servant of Clangeddin. Not only is my stein a vessel for holy water, but it is integral to worship. Next thing you'll be wanting to take my weapons!".

Assuming he is not detained he will enter the plinth and begin looking for the right place.

If he is detained things are about to go significantly down hill for our boy.

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#58 Post by ybn1197 »

GreyWolfVT wrote:Glimble to those voting for apartments "You do realize that even though there are some huge places for decent prices we would be a larger target for robbery. I am sure Muriel has already come to that conclusion especially if I a mere cleric of Gond has come to that same conclusion. You might want to rethink your votes Cormack and Thorax."
Cormack scratches his beard. "Aye. I have been giving what you say to thought. Mayhaps the villa is too big for us right now. Once we as a company get bigger, maybe then."

spanningtree
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#59 Post by spanningtree »

Tella - Elf Mage

After finishing up her epic study with session Tella will look into getting something she can store her spellbook in that would afford it some protection from water and the elements. I was thinking an leather bag/satchel that had some oil infused into or the like.

Darkmane
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#60 Post by Darkmane »

Thorax's Plinth Trip

As Thorax rises up and gets loud in the streets, early in the morning, the guards get nervous and begin reaching for their clubs and swords.

The young guard that originally was talking to you crouches a bit, and has his hand readied at his waist, "Hold on Sir Dwarf, don't get excited. You'll understand that we do have to hold on to that Stein if you wish to enter the plinth. Otherwise, just be on your way! We don't want trouble. You say your Stein is integral to your worship, and killing small animals or children is integral to the worship of Bane or Malar. None of that is going to happen on my watch at the Plinth. Why don't you set the Stein down on this rock over here, go up and say your prayers, and you can meet us out some night in a bar and we can all toast your God properly with tankards."

Tella

Water resistant bags are pretty common and you would be able to find them at many of the local shops:

"Duck-skin" Bag - water-resistant, take the price of a Bag from the PHB or Aurora's Whole Realms and multiply by 2x

If you found the right shop you might be able to find a bag that is water-proof, and maybe flame resistant also! By asking around you might find the right shop... (roll 3d6 under your charisma score if you are interested)

Return to “Under Streets of Splendor (2ed)”