Action Thread 12

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Action Thread 12

#1 Post by rredmond »

Day 2 – 12:18 p

The party reforms into marching order (check below let me know if anything needs to change) and heads west. The tunnel heads west for a bit over 20 feet and then makes a sharp turn south. It opens up into a large cavern that's lit by dimly glowing walls. Four cages of a strange, fleshy substance seem to grown from the stone floor at a, b, c, and d, and roughly in the center of the room at e stands a large wooden box with a funnel on top and a spout at the bottom. The box is connected to a small water wheel that turns with the river’s flow, this reminds you very much of the fish musher on the level above, but it's much larger. The river runs into the chamber of the box and pours away into what looks like a deep shaft in the floor next to the small mushing water wheel. The wheel is attached by a small driveshaft to the mincer box, which creaks ominously from the inside. The funnel at the top of the mechanism is six feet in diameter, and the hole leading into the box is about four feet in diameter.

Cage a has a female human standing in it, b has a cranky looking dwarf sitting on the floor of the cage, c is empty, and d has a human male in it. The human male physically looks like he could handle himself in a fight, but he's pacing and glances nervously from the female to the northwest of the room, where there may be some sort of alcove or exit that you can't see because of where you were standing. He looks completely out of sorts.

The front rank of the party are standing at the entrance of the cavern, where the river enters the cavern, you have not yet entered. There doesn't seem to be any guards or other baddies, and though the cavern is lightly lit, the passage is dark and you are all presently in the shadows.

What would you like to do?
Picture1.gif
Picture1.gif (22.24 KiB) Viewed 1151 times
[/b]HPs: Varkos - 16/22; Ilhalevar - 8/8; Al'Zur- 5/7; SoT - 19/25; Wulfgard - 10/12; Zafalia - 11/11
WIH: Varkos: long sword; Ilhalevar: quarterstaff; Al'Zur: long sword; SoT: Spear, shield; Wulfgard: staff; Zafalia: spear, shield;
MO (10’): Zafalia; Varkos; Ilhalevar; Al'Zur; SoT; Wulfgard
Consumables: Hooded lantern (Zafalia) - 4 hours left (off), 30' radius; Torch, 60 minutes (SoT) OUT, 40' radius; lamp 20 minutes (Wulfgard) 20’ radius; Torch, 60 minutes Zafalia, 40’ radius OUT.
--------Spells: Ilhalevar: 1-1/1; Al'Zur: 1-1/1; Wulfgard: 1-2/4; Zafalia: 1-4/4, 2-2/3

This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

Re: Action Thread 12

#2 Post by Alethan »

OOC: I'm wondering if, once we're done in this room, we shouldn't go back and destroy the first mincer we came across. What is it mincing? And why? I'm sure it can't be good, which means destroying it probably IS good. Plus, it disturbs the plans of this evil-doer we're after.
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by Argennian »

Not being sure if there might still be a trap or guard hidden where they can't see it, Zafalia will motion for quiet and creep as stealthily as she can into the chamber along the northern wall, headed west. She'll then work her way down the western wall of the cavern, past the large wooden box (marked e) until she gets to where that alcove is in the western wall (just over halfway down the western wall).

Once in position, she'll cautiously peak around the corner and make sure the alcove is clear. If it isn't, she'll signal the others of the danger. If it's clear, she'll wave all clear and then scrutinize the southwestern portion and southern wall of the cavern to make sure there's nothing bad hanging out there.

Alethan wrote:OOC: I'm wondering if, once we're done in this room, we shouldn't go back and destroy the first mincer we came across. What is it mincing? And why? I'm sure it can't be good, which means destroying it probably IS good. Plus, it disturbs the plans of this evil-doer we're after.
OOC: Iirc, the previous mincer was just for fish but I believe the one in this room might be for mincing up prisoners to feed and fertilize the leaf-men pods. I was thinking the same thing initially but then thought that leaving it undisturbed would not only create noise to cover our movement but not tip the baddies off that we were here if they came a-looking. (of course, once they see the mad trees were destroyed, it'd be on like Donkey Kong). All for doing so once we confront Mr. Shroomy-poo though! :) )
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)
Brok Sterling: Human Assassin3 (ToniXX's Incursion into Newiron OSRIC Playtest)
Tanik Tremwoodak: Dwarf Cleric3 (Dave's 1e Skype Game)

DM: home-brew OSRIC "A New Hope to the West" campaign

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

Nuke66
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#4 Post by Nuke66 »

Al'Zur moves to his left, sneaking around the wall to the cage (A) before moving up the try and pick the lock on the cage.

saalaria
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#5 Post by saalaria »

Varkos remains stock still so the sneakers can sneak.

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by tkrexx »

The Ranger will make certain nothing steals up behind the party whilst the sneaking ensues.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by rredmond »

Day 2 – 12:20 p

With the party standing in the shadows, as quiet as they can be behind him, Al'Zur heads in to the cavern hugging the wall, toward the nearest cage.

The woman is looking behind at the man as Al'Zur hugs the shadows against the wall. She doesn't notice anything, but as Al gets about a third of the way there, the man does notice the elf. He starts to cry out, but catches himself. He looks at the woman and puts a finger to his lips. What? she asks quietly. He waves both hands at her and then at Al'Zur, then he points to the northwest corner of the cavern.

Al'Zur turns around to look, stopping his forward movement.
PM to Al'Zur,
I'm going to put the map in the map thread here: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=482&p=93101#p93101 .

HPs: Varkos - 16/22; Ilhalevar - 8/8; Al'Zur- 5/7; SoT - 19/25; Wulfgard - 10/12; Zafalia - 11/11
WIH: Varkos: long sword; Ilhalevar: quarterstaff; Al'Zur: long sword; SoT: Spear, shield; Wulfgard: staff; Zafalia: spear, shield;
Consumables: Hooded lantern (Zafalia) - 4 hours left (off), 30' radius; Torch, 60 minutes (SoT) OUT, 40' radius; lamp 20 minutes (Wulfgard) 20’ radius; Torch, 60 minutes Zafalia, 40’ radius OUT.
--------Spells: Ilhalevar: 1-1/1; Al'Zur: 1-1/1; Wulfgard: 1-2/4; Zafalia: 1-4/4, 2-2/3

This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by rredmond »

Day 2 – 12:21 p

With the party continuing at the entrance of the cavern, they watch as Al'Zur turns and looks towards the northwest corner. Meanwhile the two humans seem to be now in sync. They are both quiet and watching the elf.

Al'Zur with a look at the party, heads quickly toward the northwest corner, nimbly and oh-so-quietly leaping the stream, and pressing his back to the wall. Then the party loses sight of him as he inches his way north.

Another PM to Al'Zur,
Map thread is here: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=482&p=93101#p93101 .

HPs: Varkos - 16/22; Ilhalevar - 8/8; Al'Zur- 5/7; SoT - 19/25; Wulfgard - 10/12; Zafalia - 11/11

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#9 Post by Alethan »

Ilhalevar glances down at her... quarterstaff to see if it... ummm... if it believes combat is eminent in the near future.

OOC: You know how long it takes me to write sentences that include that magical staff to avoid making them full of dirty innuendo???

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by rredmond »

The staff hangs limp.
;)

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#11 Post by Alethan »

rredmond wrote:The staff hangs limp.
;)
Ilhalevar shakes her head in disgust.

;)

Nuke66
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#12 Post by Nuke66 »

Al'Zur leaps the stream again, making his way back to the party. "We have company. We have eight scarecrow men back in that cavern. Any ideas?"

Distorted Humor
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#13 Post by Distorted Humor »

Odo groans as there more fighting ahead, and makes sure his blade is sharp.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by Zhym »

Wulfgard offers the blessing of his god to his companions in the coming battle.

saalaria
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#15 Post by saalaria »

Varkos keeps watch behind Al Zur.
"These wooden men die easily enough. How much oil do we have left - that could help."

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#16 Post by Alethan »

Ilhalevar looks down at her quarterstaff again and frowns, "Are they animate? Are they moving? Or just standing there? My new staff does not seem to sense any danger. Maybe they have not been... activated, or... whatever."

saalaria
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#18 Post by saalaria »

"Shall we strike first with surprise then? Who is with me?"

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by Argennian »

Zafalia shakes her head to make sure she's not in some kind of mushroom trance and tries to determine why her previous intentions became suddenly obscure and unattainable... :)

saalaria wrote:Varkos keeps watch behind Al Zur.
"These wooden men die easily enough. How much oil do we have left - that could help."
"I am out of lamp oil," Zaf states matter-of-factly.

saalaria wrote:"Shall we strike first with surprise then? Who is with me?"
"I am," the little hobbit druidess answers, gripping her spear and shield and nodding to the big fighter.
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)
Brok Sterling: Human Assassin3 (ToniXX's Incursion into Newiron OSRIC Playtest)
Tanik Tremwoodak: Dwarf Cleric3 (Dave's 1e Skype Game)

DM: home-brew OSRIC "A New Hope to the West" campaign

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#20 Post by Alethan »

"How much room is there," Ilhalevar asks. "Can we hem them in and only fight a few at a time? If enough people have longer weapons, we could fight from two ranks..."

Return to “Pod-Caverns Of The Sinister Shroom”