Action Thread 12

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Action Thread 12

#61 Post by tkrexx »

The Ranger glares at the two Humans conversing, then at the surly Dwarf. Anything to add? He barks at the bearded one. Tomohok ax already in hand, he bends low to see if the "root" vine of the Dwarf's cage can be chopped.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#62 Post by Zhym »

"If the cage is sentient, I might be able to command it to open," suggests Wulfgard, "if I knew the language to do it in."

saalaria
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#63 Post by saalaria »

Varkos moves to keep lookout at the entrance whilst the others deal with the cages.

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#64 Post by Argennian »

Realizing that the podman "finger key" will not work, Zafalia gives in to a quick let-down-frown and puts it back in her pouch. When she sees Varkos move over to guard and cover the entrance, she urges her cousin Odo to join him and help keep watch. While Son of Thunder examines the root anchor of the silent dwarf's cage at Ilhalevar's beckoning, the druidess moves over to the one where the captive woman resides.

After the woman merchant finishes relaying their story, the little hobbit replies. "Well met then, Merithina. And to your friend, Ulster. My name is Zafalia Sojafa. My companions and I are here on behalf of a village not far from this place. Those podmen have been issuing forth from this place and taking local woodsmen, hunters and cattle for their master's ill and most evil designs. That Mushroom-man you described appears to be the one in charge down here, and so has much to answer for! Tell me, when last was it here? Did it communicate with either of you? And what about him?" she queries, indicating the dour, silent dwarf with her tiny thumb. "How long has he been here? I communed with some of the animals down here and they told me about a "big green man" that was kept as a prisoner here... have you seen him?"
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)
Brok Sterling: Human Assassin3 (ToniXX's Incursion into Newiron OSRIC Playtest)
Tanik Tremwoodak: Dwarf Cleric3 (Dave's 1e Skype Game)

DM: home-brew OSRIC "A New Hope to the West" campaign

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

Nuke66
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#65 Post by Nuke66 »

Al'Zur speaks up with more question. "How often does the mushroom appear? And when would you expect it to return?"

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#66 Post by rredmond »

Day 2 – 12:47 p

Illhalevar notes the differences in the cage vines. The stand-root being more choppable than the bars.

tkrexx wrote:The Ranger glares at the two Humans conversing, then at the surly Dwarf. Anything to add? He barks at the bearded one. Tomohok ax already in hand, he bends low to see if the "root" vine of the Dwarf's cage can be chopped.
The guard in the back cage glares back at the ranger, but lightens up when the ranger questions the dwarf. The dwarf just sits in his cage grumpily, staring off into space. I’ve never heard him speak, the guard says with a gulp. He’s been here longer than us, Merintha adds, who knows the atrocities he’s seen… I don’t even want to recount the blood and screaming we’ve experienced here. She gets quiet in her cage after that.
Zhym wrote:"If the cage is sentient, I might be able to command it to open," suggests Wulfgard, "if I knew the language to do it in."
In response to Zhym, Ulster says there is a secret word… we haven’t been able to hear it. We don’t know if there’s one word for all the cages or different ones. he says in frustration, attacking the bars and bending them again, just to see them snap bar to their original cage-like form.

Varkos and Odo move to guard the only entrance.

Zafalia steps up to Mirintha’s cage:
Argennian wrote:"Well met then, Merithina. And to your friend, Ulster. My name is Zafalia Sojafa. My companions and I are here on behalf of a village not far from this place. Those podmen have been issuing forth from this place and taking local woodsmen, hunters and cattle for their master's ill and most evil designs. That Mushroom-man you described appears to be the one in charge down here, and so has much to answer for! Tell me, when last was it here? Did it communicate with either of you? And what about him?" she queries, indicating the dour, silent dwarf with her tiny thumb. "How long has he been here? I communed with some of the animals down here and they told me about a "big green man" that was kept as a prisoner here... have you seen him?"

Merintha responds as such: We have been down here for two days and have seen the mushroom-man three times at various times of day, there seemed to be no pattern. But each time we saw him,her voice catches and she takes a second or two to regain her composure, he took one of our companions and fed them to the mincing machine and then brought their minced bodies into the pod room over yonder. She indicates the cavern north of you where you finished off the podmen, as Ulster attacks the bars of his cell again, an exercise in futility, but he appears to be pretty strong.

As far as communication, the mushroom-man barely noticed us. He spoke quietly to the bars of the cage where his victim was, the bars spread apart by themselves, and the victim was taken. The dwarf has been here longer than us, and has been in that state since we got here. We haven't seen any other creatures, other than the podmen, mushroom-man, the dwarf, and ourselves.

Nuke66 wrote:Al'Zur speaks up with more question. "How often does the mushroom appear? And when would you expect it to return?"
Turning to Al'Zur, she responded: He has appeared at different times, and we were brought here unconscious, so it has been hard to tell time. Since there are two of us left, we unfortunately assumed he'd be back. Our only plan was for whoever the next victim was, to get the password to relay to the other, and attempt escape.

Map is here: viewtopic.php?p=99936#p99936
The cavern is pretty well lit, and there seems to be no other exits/entrances except the one you entered.

HPs: Varkos - 16/22; Ilhalevar - 8/8; Al'Zur- 5/7; SoT - 19/25; Wulfgard - 10/12; Zafalia - 11/11
WIH: Varkos: long sword; Ilhalevar: quarterstaff; Al'Zur: long sword; SoT: Spear, shield; Wulfgard: staff; Zafalia: spear, shield;
MO (10’): Zafalia; Varkos; Ilhalevar; Al'Zur; SoT; Wulfgard
Consumables: Hooded lantern (Zafalia) - 4 hours left (off), 30' radius; Torch, 60 minutes (SoT) OUT, 40' radius; lamp 20 minutes (Wulfgard) 20’ radius; Torch, 60 minutes Zafalia, 40’ radius OUT.
--------Spells: Ilhalevar: 1-1/1; Al'Zur: 1-1/1; Wulfgard: 1-2/4; Zafalia: 1-4/4, 2-2/3

This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#67 Post by Alethan »

tkrexx wrote:The Ranger glares at the two Humans conversing, then at the surly Dwarf. Anything to add? He barks at the bearded one. Tomohok ax already in hand, he bends low to see if the "root" vine of the Dwarf's cage can be chopped.
Ilhalevar nods at Son of Thunder, pointing at the most likely place he should start chopping to sever the root. Then she quickly pulls her hand back and holds the dwarf's cage steady while the warrior chops at the vine.
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#68 Post by tkrexx »

The Ranger begins hacking at the base root in earnest.

Nuke66
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#69 Post by Nuke66 »

"May I suggest we lay a trap and await this Mushrooms return? Should we expect him soon perhaps?" Al'zur queries

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#70 Post by rredmond »

tkrexx wrote:The Ranger begins hacking at the base root in earnest.
The root is rather easily chopped, the cage tumbles to the ground, the dwarf looks just as surly.
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#71 Post by Alethan »

Ilhalevar checks the cage to see if the structure of the bar changes after being detached from the root.

"I might need your help here, Master Dwarf, if you want to be free of these bars."

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#72 Post by rredmond »

Day 2 – 12:50 p

Son of Thunder chops down the cage quite handily. Al'Zur recommends that they set a trap for the return of the mushroom creature.

Ilhalevar exhorts the dwarf to help be free of the bars. But the dwarf, other than to move from a tilted position to an upright seated position, doesn't move or acknowledge the party's existence in any way. Ulster on the other hand, tries his mettle against the bars again. They flex and bend, but he can't get them far enough apart to get through.

The hall from the exit remains quiet and no one is coming by.

Map is here: viewtopic.php?p=99936#p99936
The cavern is pretty well lit, and there seems to be no other exits/entrances except the one you entered.

HPs: Varkos - 16/22; Ilhalevar - 8/8; Al'Zur- 5/7; SoT - 19/25; Wulfgard - 10/12; Zafalia - 11/11
WIH: Varkos: long sword; Ilhalevar: quarterstaff; Al'Zur: long sword; SoT: Spear, shield; Wulfgard: staff; Zafalia: spear, shield;
MO (10’): Zafalia; Varkos; Ilhalevar; Al'Zur; SoT; Wulfgard
Consumables: Hooded lantern (Zafalia) - 4 hours left (off), 30' radius; Torch, 60 minutes (SoT) OUT, 40' radius; lamp 20 minutes (Wulfgard) 20’ radius; Torch, 60 minutes Zafalia, 40’ radius OUT.
--------Spells: Ilhalevar: 1-1/1; Al'Zur: 1-1/1; Wulfgard: 1-2/4; Zafalia: 1-4/4, 2-2/3

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#73 Post by Alethan »

Ilhalevar stares at the dwarf for a moment, then shrugs. Finally, she says, "Freedom begins inside yourself, master dwarf. Good luck to you."

Looking up, she says, "Emmett, let's try Ulster's cage." She moves to his cage and makes sure the root is exposed so Son of Thunder can hack at it.

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#74 Post by tkrexx »

The Ranger hacks at the second root/pillar, then the third when called upon.

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#75 Post by Argennian »

While Son of Thunder moves over to work on Ulster's cage, Zafalia will inspect the one that the ranger already hacked down. Although she realizes it's likely a long shot, the little druidess is hoping a closer scrutinization might yield some kind of clue about its makeup, and perhaps if fire or some other element might affect it.

While in such close proximity to the dwarf, she decides another quick query certainly couldn't hurt. "If you do not wish to tell us your name, master dwarf, so be it. Is there anyone outside this place that you wish us to inform, regarding your captivity? Are you absolutely sure you do not want to be freed? If you cannot speak, then nod your head yes or no..."

If Zaf gets no response in common, she'll repeat her words in dwarvish.
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#76 Post by rredmond »

The dwarf responds to no one, not whether using common or dwarvish. Nor does he move his head in assent or dissent.

The second cage is chopped down as easily as the first.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#77 Post by Alethan »

Ilhalevar grabs the two nearest bars on Ulster's cage and says, "OK, Ulster, let's try to get you out of there now. We'll try to spread the bars on three... two... one... go."

Ilhalevar attempt to move the bars with Ulster's help.

saalaria
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#78 Post by saalaria »

Seeing the duo attempting the bar pull, Varkos softly calls over:
"If you cant succeed, perhaps let me try as I may have more luck"

As if to underline his comment, his biceps flex as he speaks

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#80 Post by Argennian »

The druidess announces her findings to the others. "These plant-cages are made from a very resilient material. I doubt even fire would burn them or do much to affect their integrity. This Mushroom-man appears to have unique and disturbingly powerful magics at his disposal..."

Learning nothing new or advantageous about the components of these floral cages, Zafalia considers the dwarf again. She moves over in front of him and waves her hands to see if he moves his eyes to follow her. "Perhaps he is under a spell or some form of sedative?" she opines aloud before moving back over to observe the others as they try and free Ulster from his magical floral prison.

"Perhaps laying a trap for this Mushroom-man would fare better for us then attempting to attack it in its chambers where the rest of the pod-men are guarding it? My worry is that if it finds the trees we destroyed before it returns to this chamber, it will be on the defensive, and could send the remainder of its pod-men against us. We could become trapped in this area here...

"Or we could free these prisoners and return them to the surface. Once that is done we could return to confront it or find a more suitable place to lay a trap. Perhaps we could also agree upon a bottleneck to contain them if we are forced to fall back or take the defensive? What say you, friends?"

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."

Return to “Pod-Caverns Of The Sinister Shroom”