Action Thread 12

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Action Thread 12

#41 Post by Zhym »

Having had so little luck with his staff, Wulfgard attacks one of the entangled creatures with his mace.

Mace (THAC0 20): [1d20] = 13, Damage: [1d4+1] = 2+1 = 3

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#42 Post by Alethan »

Ilhalevar strikes over Zafalia's head, attacking from the second rank with her quarterstaff...

Melee Attack, Quarterstaff+1 [1d20+1] = 14+1 = 15
Damage, Quarterstaff+1 [1d6+1] = 4+1 = 5
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

saalaria
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#43 Post by saalaria »

Can Varkos get to the one heading out the back - he wants to stop him. Assuming yes see attack below, if not I will amend this action

Varkos moves to attack the flee-er (sure that's not even a word?!):

Longsword [1d20+3] = 3+3 = 6 Dam [1d8+5] = 8+5 = 13

Nuke66
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#44 Post by Nuke66 »

Thanking the powers that be, Al'Zur sneaks up on the lone un-entangled foe-man.

Moving quietly, he carefully positions himself for a mighty leap, stabbing his longsword into what he deems a critical spot.....

[1d20+5] = 7+5 = 12 to backstab [1d8] = 4 vs Med [1d12] = 12 vs Lg

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#45 Post by tkrexx »

The Ranger, lost in battle-lust, continues his attack on the leafy beast in front of him.

To hit: [1d20-1] = 16-1 = 15, damage with hand axe, non-proficient: [1d6+1] = 4+1 = 5

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#46 Post by Argennian »

Confident that her spell is at least slowing down if not outright holding the podmen in place, Zafalia will move to the side of the passage, set down her spear & shield out of the way, and equip her sling. "Praise the Oerth Mother for this boon!"

The little hobbit druid will then look to target any of the podmen that aren't engaged and/or looking to try and escape them...

To Hit, Sling (includes Dex & racial bonus) [1d20+6] = 9+6 = 15 (hits AC5), Damage vs small/medium creatures [1d4+1] = 3+1 = 4

OOC: marking off sling bullet!
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)
Brok Sterling: Human Assassin3 (ToniXX's Incursion into Newiron OSRIC Playtest)
Tanik Tremwoodak: Dwarf Cleric3 (Dave's 1e Skype Game)

DM: home-brew OSRIC "A New Hope to the West" campaign

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#47 Post by rredmond »

Day 2 – 12:28 p

ROUND 2

Map in Map Thread with AOE of spell.

At this point all of the creatures are held by their own vines, except for one in the back left (see map), and also at this point, the pod (back right) not in the Area of Effect starts to shake and split open. While the pod in the AoE cannot fully open, the one outside of it does pop open, releasing another of the creatures all covered in slime that looks to be made of fish… as well as other tidbits. It moves to the back as that’s the only passage out.

The party starts attacking the creatures trapped in their own vines!

Al’Zur appears behind the unentangled one, and slices it open from stem to stern, it falls at his feet a pile of mold smelling leaves.
Wulfgard brings a mace down on one, pulping it’s leafy skin. While Ilhalevar does something similar with another with her staff.
Varkos sees his initial target go down and alters his attack to one entangle. Though his aim is a little off, his muscles make up for the almost miss with some big damage. The creature he hits stops struggling and hangs in its own cage of vinery.
The ranger cuts some of the leafy hide off of the creature in front of him, but it continues to struggle.
Meanwhile the druidess aims a careful sling bullet at the newly freed from the pod creature. She hits, slowing it momentarily as it continues on its way.

I will not need initiative for Round 3. The creatures entangled up front are easy targets, all attacks are +4 to hit on top of any other bonuses.
Map is here: viewtopic.php?p=99936#p99936 .

HPs: Varkos - 16/22; Ilhalevar - 8/8; Al'Zur- 5/7; SoT - 19/25; Wulfgard - 10/12; Zafalia - 11/11
WIH: Varkos: long sword; Ilhalevar: quarterstaff; Al'Zur: long sword; SoT: Spear, shield; Wulfgard: staff; Zafalia: spear, shield;
MO (10’): Zafalia; Varkos; Ilhalevar; Al'Zur; SoT; Wulfgard
Consumables: Hooded lantern (Zafalia) - 4 hours left (off), 30' radius; Torch, 60 minutes (SoT) OUT, 40' radius; lamp 20 minutes (Wulfgard) 20’ radius; Torch, 60 minutes Zafalia, 40’ radius OUT.
--------Spells: Ilhalevar: 1-1/1; Al'Zur: 1-1/1; Wulfgard: 1-2/4; Zafalia: 1-4/4, 2-2/3

BLESS - 4 minutes left
ENTANGLE - 9 minutes left

This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#48 Post by Alethan »

Ilhalevar dawdles not at striking the entangled creatures with her quarterstaff...

Melee Attack, Quarterstaff+1 [1d20+1] = 11+1 = 12 +4=16 To Hit
Damage, Quarterstaff+1 [1d6+1] = 6+1 = 7

saalaria
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#49 Post by saalaria »

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#50 Post by Argennian »

"Give those plantmen some room lest you become entangled with them as well, friends!" cautions Zafalia to Al'Zur and the others that are engaged nearby.

The little hobbit druidess quickly reloads another sling bullet, winds up and lets fly at the newly-hatched podman she hit previously...

To Hit, Sling (includes Dex & racial bonus) [1d20+6] = 13+6 = 19 (hits AC1 base), Damage vs small/medium creatures [1d4+1] = 1+1 = 2

OOC: Ron, not that she needed it, but was that +4 to hit bonus inclusive of missile weapons too?

(marking off another sling bullet)
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#51 Post by tkrexx »

Son of Thunder has learned to hate the scarecrows, and his hatred is clear in his fury.

To hit: [1d20-1] = 8-1 = 7, damage with hand axe, non-proficient: [1d6+1] = 3+1 = 4

His hatred is clear, his aim, not so much.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#53 Post by Zhym »

Wulfgard whacks at the monsters with his staff.

Staff (THAC0 20): [1d20] = 13, Damage: [1d6] = 5

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#54 Post by rredmond »

Day 2 – 12:32 p

ROUND 2

Map in Map Thread with AOE of spell.

The creatures are still completely held by their own vines, except for that just emerged from its pod and walking around the back, heading Al’Zur’s way. While the pod in the AoE still cannot open.

The party starts attacking the creatures trapped in their own vines!

Al’Zur plunks two arrows in the newly emerged creature coming from the other side of the back. They puncture the leaves and then, after another sling bullet bounces off its head from the druidess, the creature looks pretty shabby and hurt at this point.
Wulfgard brings his staff into play, again damaging the one in front of him in the vines.
Ilhalevar seriously damages the one in front of her with her staff. It’s moving slow is not all due to the vines at this point, and it looks to the point of shedding all its skin.
Varkos charges through the small, unvined opening to the back of the cave. His rush is too fast he is able to connect with his first strike, but his backswing misses the creature coming through the rear unvined passage. But that is enough to finish the creature, as it falls to the opposite side of the cavern, not making it there alive.
The ranger curses his poor strike, but is lucky his opponent is immobile as he is able to slice some more of the leafy hide from the creature in front of him, its struggles are starting to lessen, but still it moves.

At this point, with the Bless and the Entangle rocking, and no further unencumbered opponents, the party quickly finishes off the podmen as they have no chance and Illhalevar's staff goes limp. As the creatures die and the spell ends, they slowly lower to the ground out of their own body prisons into piles of leaves, like some sort of strange green-brown waxwork figures melting.

That was truly impressive work! The human male in the cage in the back yells. The female human applauds with a relieved smile.

Do you know how to free us?She asks plaintively.

Map is here: viewtopic.php?p=99936#p99936
The cavern is pretty well lit, and there seems to be no other exits/entrances except the one you entered.

HPs: Varkos - 16/22; Ilhalevar - 8/8; Al'Zur- 5/7; SoT - 19/25; Wulfgard - 10/12; Zafalia - 11/11
WIH: Varkos: long sword; Ilhalevar: quarterstaff; Al'Zur: long sword; SoT: Spear, shield; Wulfgard: staff; Zafalia: spear, shield;
Consumables: Hooded lantern (Zafalia) - 4 hours left (off), 30' radius; Torch, 60 minutes (SoT) OUT, 40' radius; lamp 20 minutes (Wulfgard) 20’ radius; Torch, 60 minutes Zafalia, 40’ radius OUT.
--------Spells: Ilhalevar: 1-1/1; Al'Zur: 1-1/1; Wulfgard: 1-2/4; Zafalia: 1-4/4, 2-2/3

This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!

saalaria
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#55 Post by saalaria »

Varkos checks out the rear corner the pod men appeared to be heading for - checking there is definitely no exit.

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#56 Post by tkrexx »

The Ranger pauses a moment to collect himself. What goes on here? He demands of the 2 prisoners. He waits for an answer before making a move to free them.

saalaria
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#57 Post by saalaria »

Varkos turns back from his examination of the alcove, frowning.

"Hmm there is no way out back there but I could hve sworn one of them was heading that way. So what about these prisoners?"

He turns to examine the cages

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#58 Post by Argennian »

As soon as her Entangle spell ends, Zafalia will move forward and make sure that any potential living contents within the pods are dispatched forthwith. She will then enlist Odo and any others willing to help her search through the pods and dead podmen for any items of interest.

Once that is done, the little hobbit druidess will join her companions at the cages. She considers the cages that the prisoners are in as Son of Thunder queries them, removing the "finger key" from her pouch and looking to see if it might fit the locks.

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#59 Post by rredmond »

Day 2 – 12:42 p

ROUND 2

Varkos and Zafalia check to ensure that the pod cavern is emptied and all enemies dispatched. As normal, the scarecrow creatures themselves seem to have no treasure, and there is none about.

The Ranger demands what’s going on from the prisoners. The women in cage A (nearest you) speaks, while the dour looking dwarf in cage B continues to sit there looking surly, and the man in D bends at the bars, which seem weirdly flexible. The woman responds to the ranger, her voice showing a mixture of extreme anxiety with some relief:
My name is Merithina. I am a trader, leading caravans of my father’s merchandise, selling from place to place. The fellow in the last cage back there is Ulster.
Ulster continues to struggle with the bars as he grunts agreeance.

Ulster may be the last of the five guards that accompanied me on my last journey when we were captured by a group of these pod men. Three of the guards were…
At this point Merithina’s voice cracks a bit with emotion, but she quickly regains her composure. Ulster stops struggling with the bars, listening downcast. She points to the mincer (at E) and continues

They were put into that machine there which chopped them into bits, and the bits were brought into the pod cavern. A fifth guard, Thuskar was never imprisoned here, he must be still alive somewhere in the depths of these accursed caverns.

At this point Ulster chimes in, Merintha’s father is a wealthy merchant, and would pay well to see his daughter back safe. I would like to find Thuskar, and destroy as many of these pod men as I can.

Ulster looks as he can handle himself, though he and Merintha are in basic civilian clothes, unarmored and unarmed.

Upon closer inspection the cages are made of a weirdly elastic fungus substance, seemingly impossible to break or cut, which snaps naturally back into shape after being stretched or pulled as you can see from Ulster's struggles. They are attached to the floor by a thick vine, which seems to be different than the vine that makes up the bars. The druidess sees no key holes, and looks up at Merintha.

There is a creature; it looks like a 9 foot tall mushroom with arms, legs and a sword. Only one comes, but it comes with 5 or more pod men. It says something quiet to the bars that make them pull apart for a few minutes while his pod men henchmen extract the person and bring them to the mincer. We were unable to hear what he is saying as they pull us back from the opening. I’m not sure there’s any other way to open the cage.

Map is here: viewtopic.php?p=99936#p99936
The cavern is pretty well lit, and there seems to be no other exits/entrances except the one you entered.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#60 Post by Alethan »

Ilhalevar studies the root/cage structure.

"It seems the bars may not be severed with an edge, but possibly the root below it can and, thus severed, the bars can be dealt with accordingly. Anyone care to hack at the main root to one of the cages and test that theory out?" she asks, obviously not equipped to complete such a task herself.

Return to “Pod-Caverns Of The Sinister Shroom”