Action Thread 12

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Action Thread 12

#21 Post by tkrexx »

There seems to be a problem with the longer stabbing weapons. My spear goes right thru them, as do my arrows, the Ranger mumbles almost absentmindedly, eyes still to the rear. My small ax works well, tho.

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#22 Post by Argennian »

Seeing no one else offer lamp oil for the burning option, Zafalia prepares to move forward and attack when the others do.

"Son of Thunder, if you and Varkos move up to engage them, Ilhalevar and I can back you up and fight from the second rank. I am ready..."
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)
Brok Sterling: Human Assassin3 (ToniXX's Incursion into Newiron OSRIC Playtest)
Tanik Tremwoodak: Dwarf Cleric3 (Dave's 1e Skype Game)

DM: home-brew OSRIC "A New Hope to the West" campaign

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#23 Post by Alethan »

"I am ready, as well," Ilhalevar says, looking down at her quarterstaff and hoping it knows when to be ready for a fight.
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

saalaria
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#24 Post by saalaria »

"Son....shall we?"
Once the Ranger consents, Varkos will run to the attack with him

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#25 Post by tkrexx »

Yes, please, the Ranger responds almost without emotion. Only the most observant would notice his teeth gritting and the veins in his temples expanding.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#26 Post by rredmond »

Day 2 – 12:25 p

SURPRISE ROUND

New map in Map Thread.

Al'Zur returns and lets everyone know that there are 8 enemies in the northwest cavern.

Wulfgard prepares to Bless his companions. Varkos asks about oil to take care of these creatures. Al’Zur further explains that the creatures have yet to notice that anything is amiss. So Varkos recommends a surprise attack and the druidess readily agrees. After some bantering back and forth, Varkos and Son of Thunder rush to the attack, charging into the cavern!

The 8 creatures look almost as if they are tending the slimy pods. There are 10 pods in total, 8 are open and dripping fish guts and other disgusting bits of putridity, 2 look closed. All are man sized pods.

Of the 8 creatures, none were previously aware of you. They are shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here… er I mean, they are surprised. As they realize you are there, Ilhalevar's staff springs to life in her hands!

I will not need initiative, Varkos and SoT gain a Charge advantage on the creatures, and can attack once this round. They will both attack twice next round (with specialized weapons if they have them in hand). I need everyone to post actions and corresponding rolls to those actions.
Map is here: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=482#p96069 .

HPs: Varkos - 16/22; Ilhalevar - 8/8; Al'Zur- 5/7; SoT - 19/25; Wulfgard - 10/12; Zafalia - 11/11
WIH: Varkos: long sword; Ilhalevar: quarterstaff; Al'Zur: long sword; SoT: Spear, shield; Wulfgard: staff; Zafalia: spear, shield;
MO (10’): Zafalia; Varkos; Ilhalevar; Al'Zur; SoT; Wulfgard
Consumables: Hooded lantern (Zafalia) - 4 hours left (off), 30' radius; Torch, 60 minutes (SoT) OUT, 40' radius; lamp 20 minutes (Wulfgard) 20’ radius; Torch, 60 minutes Zafalia, 40’ radius OUT.
--------Spells: Ilhalevar: 1-1/1; Al'Zur: 1-1/1; Wulfgard: 1-2/4; Zafalia: 1-4/4, 2-2/3

This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

saalaria
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#27 Post by saalaria »

Varkos gets up too much speed on his charge and his swing is wild:

Longsword [1d20+3] = 9+3 = 12 Dam [1d8+5] = 3+5 = 8

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#28 Post by Zhym »

Just to clarify: did Wulfgard cast his bless spell?

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#29 Post by tkrexx »

Son of Thunder has learned a valuable lesson in the past when dealing with the "scarcrows," and thus will use his hand ax. With the war cry of his homeland he charges toward the foes he has learned to hate.

To hit: [1d20-1] = 4-1 = 3, damage with hand axe, non-proficient: [1d4+1] = 2+1 = 3

...And completely blows a surprise round!

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#30 Post by Argennian »

Zafalia nearly jumps out of her skin wincing when Son of Thunder bellows his war cry and charges in after Varkos! She hopes the many corners of this subterranean environ and the gurgling of its underground waterfalls and waterways will keep the echoing to a minimum. :)

With little hobbit teeth gritted, the druidess runs in behind the two big fighters. When she sees the podmen and all of the slimy pods they are tending, she suddenly gets an idea. She drops her spear and shield, retrieves a heavy pinch of mistletoe, and casts her entangle spell on the pods and podmen beyond her two companions!

OOC: Ron: Zaf is looking to place the spell further back in the cavern where it's 20' radius AOE will end before reaching Varkos and Son of Thunder. So looking at the map, trying to place it where it will encompass the pods & podmen behind the first two that were attacked.

Heh, I know I'm taking a chance on using this spell. I had originally hoped that it could be deployed against the podmen themselves, since they appear to be part plant in make up. If it works against them, then that would be rad, but if not, I'm hoping there is enough floral material in and about the pods for the spell to affect. Only one way to find out, as they say!
:geek:
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#31 Post by rredmond »

Zhym wrote:Just to clarify: did Wulfgard cast his bless spell?
I apologize Zhym, I did not make it clear, but Wulfgard was able to cast the spell. Sorry about that!
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#33 Post by Zhym »

Wulfgard clumsily attacks with his staff, reminding himself why he tries to stay out of combat.

Staff (THAC0 20): [1d20] = 3, Damage: [1d6] = 5

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#34 Post by rredmond »

Day 2 – 12:26 p

SURPRISE ROUND

Map in Map Thread.

Wulfgard casts his Bless spell and all feel emboldened as they rush into the room. The druidess starts casting her spell, Al’Zur disappears into the edges of the battle, and the others attack!

Feeling the effects of the spell, Varkos feels a poor attack actually bite into the leafy hide of one of the creatures. The strike may not have been too exacting, but big chunks of leaf falls from the creature. Son of Thunder, unfortunately, doesn’t have the same luck with his axe. Neither does Wulfgard with his staff.

At the finish of her spell, leafs seem to sprout a bit from the creatures, and they seem to slow with effort, but it’s uncertain yet as to how they are being affected.

I will not need initiative for Round 1, Varkos attacks first and gets two attacks everyone else attacks before the creatures do. I need everyone to post actions and corresponding rolls to those actions.

HPs: Varkos - 16/22; Ilhalevar - 8/8; Al'Zur- 5/7; SoT - 19/25; Wulfgard - 10/12; Zafalia - 11/11
WIH: Varkos: long sword; Ilhalevar: quarterstaff; Al'Zur: long sword; SoT: Spear, shield; Wulfgard: staff; Zafalia: spear, shield;
Consumables: Hooded lantern (Zafalia) - 4 hours left (off), 30' radius; Torch, 60 minutes (SoT) OUT, 40' radius; lamp 20 minutes (Wulfgard) 20’ radius; Torch, 60 minutes Zafalia, 40’ radius OUT.
--------Spells: Ilhalevar: 1-1/1; Al'Zur: 1-1/1; Wulfgard: 1-2/4; Zafalia: 1-4/4, 2-2/3

BLESS - 6 minutes left

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#35 Post by Alethan »

Ilhalevar attacks from the second rank with no apparent effect...

Melee Attack, Quarterstaff+1 [1d20+1] = 6+1 = 7
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#36 Post by Argennian »

Although not sure what kind of effect her spell had on the pods and podmen, Zafalia quickly picks up her spear and shield and moves to attack the one that Son of Thunder is currently engaged with.

"I am hopeful that my spell will at least slow them down and make them easier to hit!"

To Hit: Spear [1d20] = 4 (miss), Damage: vs sm/med sized creatures [1d6] = 4

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#37 Post by Zhym »

Wulgard, something of a slow learner, tries again to smite a creature with his staff. This one is less clumsy, but still not enough to do damage.

Staff (THAC0 20): [1d20] = 9, Damage: [1d6] = 2

saalaria
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#38 Post by saalaria »

Varkos collects himself then swings a more measured blow into the midriff of the creature:

Longsword [1d20+3] = 12+3 = 15 Dam [1d8+5] = 7+5 = 12

Next attack:

Longsword [1d20+3] = 1+3 = 4 Dam [1d8+5] = 5+5 = 10

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#39 Post by tkrexx »

Son of Thunder's battle-lust will not allow him a moment to worry about his last fumbled attack.

To hit: [1d20-1] = 14-1 = 13, damage with hand axe, non-proficient: [1d6+1] = 2+1 = 3

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#40 Post by rredmond »

Day 2 – 12:27 p

ROUND 1

Map updated in Map Thread with AOE of spell.

As the party attacks they see the scarecrow creatures start to sprout all over themselves... the party steps back (except for Al'Zur - more on that later) and the creatures slow to a complete halt entangled in themselves! Even several of the pods (one of the closed ones as well) are sprouting vines that tie them to the ground.

Both Varkos and SoT are able to land their blows, but everyone (including Varkos' second shot) else are so surprised by the turn of events that their attacks miss.

At this point all of the creatures are held by their own vines, except for one in the back left (see map), and also at this point, the pod (back right) not in the Area of Effect starts to shake and split open. The creature in the back left starts to move up toward what looks like a small passage through the mass of vines, unawares as to what might be behind it.

I will not need initiative for Round 2. The creatures entangled up front are easy targets, all attacks are +4 to hit on top of any other bonuses. PM to Al'Zur).

BLESS - 5 minutes left
ENTANGLE - 10 minutes left

Return to “Pod-Caverns Of The Sinister Shroom”