4. The Spires of Ravenloft

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

Re: 4. The Spires of Ravenloft

#361 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Tibbius

Let's see.....can't sleep out in this weather......don't want to sleep with creepy statues.......oh, and did I mention it nearing midnight?

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#362 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Fendt "I've been trapped in a bed so sleep is not a major issue for me at the moment..... but finding a better space in this vile place to rest for you all will be fairly improbable it is the house of evil after all."
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#363 Post by Zhym »

Date: Nouluna 4, 1221
Time: 11:30 PM
Weather: Thunderstorm
Moon: Full

Fendt casts continual light on his bo stick. With the bright light from his shiny stick, you can now see a set of stairs leading down at the end of the hall of statues.

"Shoucth thor," mumbles Vorkath, motioning to the south door. Hearing no objections, you proceed in that direction. Agrippo steps forward and opens the door.

A blazing hearth fire fills the room before you with rolling waves of red and amber light. The walls are lined with ancient books and tomes, their leather covers well oiled and preserved through careful use. All is in order here. The stone floor is hidden beneath a luxurious rug of deep-patterned weave. A large, low table sits in the center of the room, waxed and polished to a mirrored finish. Even the poker next to the blazing fireplace is polished. Large, overstuffed divans and couches stand in order about the room. Two luxurious chairs face the hearth.

A huge painting hangs over the mantelpiece in a heavy, gilded frame. It is an exact likeness of the Burgomaster's daughter, Ireena Kolyana! Though the painting is obviously centuries old, the likeness is unmistakeable.

You see a door immediately opposite you in the south wall, a set of double doors in the west wall, and another door in the north wall to the east.

Actions?
Map 5.png
Map 5.png (157.79 KiB) Viewed 895 times
Status: Agrippo: 38/52, Vorkath: 26/36, Tibbius: 14/22, Randolph: 4/4, Iluq: 21/34, Tumbler: 24/39, Robert: 16/27; Fendt: 15/15
Effects: Log of Everburning (Robert): 1 turn

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#364 Post by Grognardsw »

Vorkath, paladin

Vorkath vaguely remembers that a library may have information about Strahd ( viewtopic.php?p=67714#p67714 ). He chalks out such on the floor.

The paladin detects evil. He does a quick perusal of titles.

Computer +1
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#365 Post by Computer +1 »

Tumbler takes a look through the books, keeping quiet.

GreyWolfVT

#366 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Fendt admires the statue. "Wow this is quite breathe taking isn't it. Almost looks real."
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#367 Post by Zhym »

Which statue is Fendt admiring?

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#368 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Tibbius

The little green elf is thrilled to see what's inside this room. He hates being cold and wet! He likes the look of the roaring fire and cautiously moves in closer to warm himself.

If it weren't for all these doors I'd say this is the perfect spot to rest. There is even furniture to sleep on. He takes notice of the thick rug covering the floor You boys know what's usually under a rug like this don't you?

GreyWolfVT

#369 Post by GreyWolfVT »

sorry meant the painting.
A huge painting hangs over the mantelpiece in a heavy, gilded frame. It is an exact likeness of the Burgomaster's daughter, Ireena Kolyana! Though the painting is obviously centuries old, the likeness is unmistakable.
That my bad so it's a painting.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#370 Post by Zhym »

Date: Nouluna 4, 1221
Time: 11:40 PM
Weather: Thunderstorm
Moon: Full

Vorkath tries to communicate by scratching on the rug. Then he turns about the room and concentrates on sensing evil.

Having detected no evil, the paladin starts browsing book titles. Tumbler quietly joins his perusal of the library. The shelves contain ancient texts on philosophy and architecture. Several tomes contain carefully-drawn reproductions of famous art works. There are books on history and the geneaology of noble families, all of which refer to distant lands and people. One wall is stacked with collections of stories and plays. The books are beautifully bound and probably quite valuable (if cumbersome to carry), but it's hard to imagine how anything you see could help you fight Strahd.

Fendt stares at the portrait. "Quite breathtaking, isn't it?" he says. "Almost looks real."

Tibbius the elf is attracted to the fire. He moves in closer to warm himself. "If it weren't for all these doors I'd say this is the perfect spot to rest," he says. He takes notice of the thick rug. "You boys know what's usually under a rug like this don't you?"

Randolph cat scopes out the perimeter of the room, decides there is no immediate threat, and curls up in front of the fire.

Robert's torch finally flickers out. But the fire and Fendt's glow-bo stick provide plenty of light.

Status: Agrippo: 38/52, Vorkath: 26/36, Tibbius: 14/22, Randolph: 4/4, Iluq: 21/34, Tumbler: 24/39, Robert: 16/27; Fendt: 15/15
Effects: None

GreyWolfVT

#371 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Fendt "Under a rug such as this trap doors and sometimes safes. At least that is what I'd keep under a rug of this sort."

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#372 Post by Stirling »

Agrippo will take the painting fom the wall and breaking the frame take the portrait out and roll it up. "so the old dog is in love with some long lost flame. But this might help us locate the girl before he gets to familiar with her".

Not sure how the picture will do that, we could meet someone and say "have you seen this girl..?"..

" be prepared to barricade the doors though, I would say that we are expected here and might get another fang-toothed welcome during the night hours. I will take the first watch. Perhaps our good rogues may lock the doors for security". Agrippo will swish his Sunsword in motion and push a couch over to block the door to the battlements.

MonkeyWrench
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#373 Post by MonkeyWrench »

Illuq, "I will take second watch then."
Life is a roller coaster, if you don't stop to enjoy it then you may as well not even ride.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#374 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Tib

Before he can fall asleep Tib must be sure there is no way for a scary monster to get him. He goes around and fiddles with all the books, candle sconces, anything on a shelf, all the doorknobs, or anything else that might be able to be used to trigger a sliding panel or some such device. He will pull the rug up if he can and make sure there are no trap doors to a nasty dungeon of living death. He checks under all the furniture. When the fire dies down a bit he will even look up the chimney for some hiding undead monster. He double checks all the barricaded doors (you know, to make sure they don't open out :roll: ) and only when he is satisfied that the room is safe will he lay down with his ugly cat Randolph and get some hard earned rest. He will take last watch so he can use that time to study his next spells.
Last edited by OGRE MAGE on Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GreyWolfVT

#375 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Fendt "I'll take third watch if you all don't mind."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#376 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Tib

No offense buddy but......I don't think I want this newcomer to take a solo watch. How do the rest of you feel about that?

MonkeyWrench
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#377 Post by MonkeyWrench »

Illuq, "We are in a castle, surrounded by danger. I don't mind him taking watch, if Strahd were planning something devious he would probably do it with more of an evil flare.."
Life is a roller coaster, if you don't stop to enjoy it then you may as well not even ride.

GreyWolfVT

#378 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Fendt "There you and I can take a shift then since I am still not well trusted."

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#379 Post by Zhym »

Some clarifications before the next move:

Stirling: The stone hearth over which the painting is hung is astoundingly huge—a man could walk into it upright. The mantel is over even Agrippo's head. He'd have to find a way to get up to the painting before he could try to remove it from the wall.

Ogre Mage: What you describe for Tibbius would take a long time—at least an hour, maybe two, to check all the books, look under the furniture, lift the rug, etc. Does Tibbius want to take the time to do so? As for "anything else that might be able to be used to trigger a sliding panel or some such device," you'll have to be more specific. If there's anything to be triggered (and I'm not saying there is), you aren't going to trigger it by saying "I try everything that might be a trigger." :D You can, of course, search for secret doors as normal.

Also, so far I haven't seen anyone say that they're actually barricading the doors. It's only been suggested. FWIW, the two doors in the north door both open into the room. The west and south doors open out. And the chimney is currently over a blazing fire. Will Tibbius stick his head in the fire to look up the chimney?

Finally, please give me the full watch schedule if you'll be turning in here for the night.

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#380 Post by Grognardsw »

Vorkath drinks the bittersweet potion in hopes it heals his mouth or more.

Return to “Ravenloft”