Ral's Run (IC - Ral. Beniliusbob only)

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Ral's Run (IC - Ral. Beniliusbob only)

#21 Post by Grognardsw »

Ral the thief peers around the corner. From his position in the southeast corner, he sees the room is 20' across and 30' long. To his right in the middle of the east wall is a door. Across from it in the west wall is a 1' diameter metal gong, held inside a locked cage with bars an inch apart. The distance from bars to the gong is about 16".

Above the gong is a wall sconce with a lit torch. In the middle of the room, sitting in a simple wooden chair, is a roguish chap with a 10' pole. "Heard the creaking, boy, come on in. Your task: ring the gong. My task: stop you."

Swinging the pole, the man gets up from his chair.

beniliusbob
Ranger
Ranger

#22 Post by beniliusbob »

It's getting real!

Two questions:

1. Can I drop my dagger, load a bullet, and sling it at the gong in a single round?

2. Did the door I just came through open into the room I'm in now, or did it open into the corridor I came from?

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#23 Post by Grognardsw »

beniliusbob wrote:It's getting real!

Two questions:

1. Can I drop my dagger, load a bullet, and sling it at the gong in a single round?

2. Did the door I just came through open into the room I'm in now, or did it open into the corridor I came from?
1. If you win initiative, literally drop dagger, yes. Tough target given bars are inch across.
2. The corridor.

beniliusbob
Ranger
Ranger

#24 Post by beniliusbob »

One last question: in the corridor, how far from the door to the pit? Was it more than five feet?

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#25 Post by Grognardsw »

The door to the corridor/room is about 30' from the pit, which is across the previous room near the foot of the stairway up.

beniliusbob
Ranger
Ranger

#26 Post by beniliusbob »

Ral keeps a hold on his dagger but lets his arm fall to his side. He stands up and smiles at the approaching rogue.

"I'm afraid your task is pointless, mate. Why would I want to ring a gong? There's neither girls nor groats nor gems to be had from it, and that's all Ral the Darling cares for. Now, why don't you stand over there and guard the gong, and I'll be on my way?" Ral waves at the other door with his free hand.
They don't call him Darling for nothing... Charisma check, [1d20] = 6 versus 14

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#27 Post by Grognardsw »

The thug gives Ral a suspicious look. "If you don't want to ring the gong, then move along." He points to the door in the east wall.

beniliusbob
Ranger
Ranger

#28 Post by beniliusbob »

"I knew we could come to an understanding."

Ral sheathes his dagger, retrieves his candle (which he slips into his backpack) and his pole (which he cocks over his shoulder jauntily in the least threatening manner possible), and smiles at the rogue as he strolls over to the other door.

"You won't mind if I poke around a bit first, will you? Fellows like you and I can never be too careful, not in this line of work."

Ral scrutinizes the door, the handle, and the area around it, sniffing for traps.
Satisfied, he ducks down and presses an ear to the crack beneath the door to have a listen.
"Beautiful," he whispers to himself. "Now let's not have such a screechy time as last." He scrubs the heel of the half-used candle against both hinges, hoping that the oils will quiet them.

Ral gives the rogue a final smirk and a nod - "Be seeing you, friend," - and opens the door.

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#29 Post by Grognardsw »

The thug watches Ral. "Skipping the gong will cost you a point, but there is no rule against it."

While there are no traps on the door, it is locked.

beniliusbob
Ranger
Ranger

#30 Post by beniliusbob »

"I know how it is, brother. Say - why don't you take this bottle of wine? To seal the friendship, as it were. It must be awfully boring down here, and I'm sure defending the gong against all the challengers is hard work. Why don't you relax with this nice purple vintage while I get this door unlocked?"

Ral pulls the wine out of his pack and offers it to the rogue.

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#31 Post by Grognardsw »

The thug watches Ral carefully. "Mighty kind of you. But just leave it on the floor there."

beniliusbob
Ranger
Ranger

#32 Post by beniliusbob »

Ral winks and puts the bottle on the floor, then turns to try his hand at the lock.
When he hears the tumblers make their sweet music, Ral whistles, opens the door, and steps through, shutting the door behind him before looking around at the new space.

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#33 Post by Grognardsw »

Ral's fingers finesse and his tools tickle the door lock. It yields. Beyond the door is a 15' shaft down. Iron rungs in the wall form a ladder down.

beniliusbob
Ranger
Ranger

#34 Post by beniliusbob »

Ral checks the top rung to make sure it's sturdy.
Ral shuts the door behind him and stands on the lip of stone before the shaft (or the top rung, if necessary - unless it's false) and tries to peer back through the keyhole to watch the rogue in the first room.

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#35 Post by Grognardsw »

The ladder rungs feel solid. Ral peers through the key hole and sees the thug quickly retrieve the bottle of wine, return to his seat, and put it under the chair.

beniliusbob
Ranger
Ranger

#36 Post by beniliusbob »

Ral breathes as quietly as he can and watches the thug while he counts to 300, waiting to see if the other man will take a drink of the wine or if he shuts his eyes for a snooze.

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#37 Post by Grognardsw »

The thug sits down and twiddles his thumbs for the 300 seconds.

beniliusbob
Ranger
Ranger

#38 Post by beniliusbob »

"Of all the scoundrels in this city, I get the sober one," Ral mutters. "Well! He won't get my wine without a fight." He plunks a bullet in his sling, throws open the door, and whizzes the stone at the gong!

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#39 Post by Grognardsw »

The sling stone bounces off one of the cage bars, not passing through.

"Huh?!" The thug jumps up and charges Ral with his pole, lance-style.

Actions!
I gave Ral the surprise on the sling attempt. Now regular round.

beniliusbob
Ranger
Ranger

#40 Post by beniliusbob »

Ral, cursing the hand that fate dealt him, awaits the charge. When the blow is ripe to land, he grits his teeth and leaps forward, attempting to roll between the thug's legs - and hoping that Lady Luck is kinder this time.
Not sure what to roll here, so I'll let you make the checks if that's okay!

Return to “Assassin's Run (1e)”