Magic in Effect: None
Vorsyin: 48/48
Gaerys: 60/60
Hollis: 50/50
Lorath: 40/40
Ethan: 71/71
Marcus: 35/35

[DM to update based on level gains]

With tired bodies and heavy hearts, the party looked over the carnage that had just ensued while contemplating the fate of their former companions. Circumstances had grown more desperate, if that had even been possible. But the certainty that can grow only from one's deepest fears had left the heroes more united and resolute than ever.

Niamah and Antheris had insisted on scouting forward alone. Antheris in lynx form. Nia, slipping through the shadows. Five minutes, then ten, had passed without a sign of them. Tybalt, the first to sense something was amiss, had bravely charged forward, only to find the thief and druid paralyzed on the floor in the very room where the party now stood, having become an impromptu feast for a huge pack of wandering ghasts and hornfeet. An odd corrosive bile had belched forth from the maw of one of the foul creatures, ruining his sword and armor, and leaving him an easy target for their dreaded paralysis.

The remainder of the party had followed and, after a desperate pitched battle, stood victorious, though battered, bloodied, and with most of their spells depleted. Fortunately, none of their foes had escaped, so no alarm was raised.

The party had prepared to retreat for the Fist, but one item changed their minds: A scroll, on the person of one of the hornfeet, showing a plan for an imminent attack on the Fist, including a summoning of an army of creatures of darkness over the course of a fortnight from deep within the bowels of the Steading...a fortnight that ended that very evening!!!

Fortunately, the party managed to recover a few choice items from the bodies of their fallen companions...and the last wish from Nia's luck blade had restored the party to full strength. The trials of the prior ten days had left the party stronger than ever!!!

XP AWARDED! Party fully healed and full compliment of spells restored!!! See treasure thread for recovered items.

Before leaving, Nia had popped the locks, and disarmed the traps, on all the chests but one. Nosra's treasure was now the party's. The haul was rich with coins of various realms, gems, and -- most notably -- a stash of magical armaments and scrolls that had previously belonged to Lorath's companions.** The spellsword was able to readily identify the items, making their allocation a simple matter.

The party had a few moments to arm themselves with their new-found arms, tie up any loose ends in the treasure room (e.g., determining what to haul away), and move against the darkness.

It was now or never...........

**See party treasure thread for spoils

Computer +1
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: Take Two...

#2 Post by Computer +1 »

Vorsyin was saddened by the loss of the party members. Although none of the group knew each other long, they had all faced the dangers together which still formed some kind of bond. The druid was a valuable ally, even if he and Vorsyin did not see eye to eye. The thief and the warrior were still barely known to Vorsyin but their loss was still felt.

We are fortunate that we have these additional weapons to aid us, and the magically gifted rest and recovery. With the loss of three members our work will be that much more dangerous. He looks over the assorted treasures. I would ask permission to take the Gem of Water Elemental, I have the most experience in dealing with its kind, and the Wand of Lightning. He takes his dagger out of his sheath and replaces it with the magical dagger. And I cannot promise to match any of your combat ability but perhaps this will help he says with a small smile.

He then inspects the monetary treasure. He scoops up a handful of gems and throws them into his backpack. I doubt we wish to carry a heavy load into combat. I have taken a handful of gems and no more. If we survive we can always return for the loot.

While in his backpack he opens a packet of trail rations and eats. He offers it to anyone else who is interested. He also takes out the bottle of wine and drinks deeply before passing it around. Before it is completely emptied he carefully pours the potion of poison into the wine bottle, re-corks it and puts it back into his backpack. If I die remember not to drink my wine he says with a wink.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by Zhym »

Gaerys shares Vorsyin's meal. He also looks for the druid's cask of ale, so often used to defuse tensions. If the ale survived, he pours a glass for everyone, and offers a toast to their fallen comrades.

That done, Gaerys claims the goggles of minute seeing and Valyrian cloak. "I'd long thought one of these would be useful," he says of the cloak, "but this is not the way I had hoped to get one." He also picks out the ring of water walking and one healing potion.

"Let us plan our next moves," he says to the others. "Of this treasure, I suggest putting the Braavosian coins, the silver, the gems, and the copper ingots in the bag of holding. Whoever claims those gauntlets should be able to carry this bag without encumbering himself." (18/60 STR: +135 lb encumbrance. The Bag of Holding weighs 35 lbs)

"Something magical still lies under the yellow mold. Vorsyin, would you cast a continual light spell directly on the mold? That should neutralize it long enough to allow me to retrieve the magical item it covers. We could also burn the mold, but the fire might damage whatever magic item the mold conceals."

"Then let us quickly but carefully explore the secret room off the north stairs." (Room 33) "If everyone agrees, I will use the goggles to check that room for traps. Secret doors often conceal items of great use; I believe it's worth a slight delay to investigate."

"Once that is done, let us move to the south. I would scout ahead to see what awaits us, and again check for traps. We must be quick, but careful."

Gaerys waits for any discussion of his proposed plan of action.

Computer +1
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#4 Post by Computer +1 »

Vorsyin agrees to Gaerys plan. Unless anyone objects I will use the scroll of continual light as you desire. I still think that carrying the treasure is an unnecessary burden at this time, we have more important matters at hand.

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by drpete »

Ethan nods grimly at the suggestion to use the continual light scroll. He then dons the Valerian armor and takes one of the healing potions. Once this is done, he gives the spear and the potion of heroism to Marcus, and thanks him for his service.

"Lets take care of this business, then go deal with the Messenger. Rule number one. Protect Hollis and Vor. They are our most powerful weapons here."
GM: Dwimmermount (ACKS)

Zim: 7/7 | Torgyr: 14/14 | U Tar: 3/3 | Nazares: 6/6| Emm: 9/9 |Quinn: 13/13
Ranulf: 10/10 | Solaine: 12/12 | Liam: 4/4 | X | Randolpho: 10/10 | Audi: 8/8

Magnus
Ranger
Ranger

#6 Post by Magnus »

Time: 10:10

The party pulls together quickly, with only a small stumble among them as they figure out that the magic bag weighs the same full as it does empty. It is filled with coins and, perhaps, gems.

Marcus gives Ethan a stoic nod as he takes his place. The magic spear suits him...it's reach presents a viable tactical option. The young fighter shifts towards Vorsyin.

Gaerys swings north and finds nothing notable (left) in the room behind the secret door. The ranger also notes that at least two giants hauled ass up the staircase and are long gone.

No detours left, one piece of business remains: the yellow mold. The party backtracks, and Vorsyin casts a bright arcane light on the mold. There are no visible effects, other than the room brightening. The party has determined that the is something magical under the mold...but do they risk a touch for more potential treasure?

Couple Notes:

1. Make sure that your sheets are updated. This includes the treasure just recovered. I will check them on the fly.

2. I do NOT use the 1 GP = 1 XP standard. Obviously, having money will be useful, but the group does not need to try and drag every CP out of a dungeon. XP calculations are done ad hoc based on the party's accomplishment of its mission objectives, number of monsters slain, prisoners freed, treasure recovered and other achievements.

3. Lorath is being NPC'd for about a month.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by Zhym »

"The mold should be safe to search for at least 20 minutes" says Gaerys. "Unless anyone objects, I will do so. Please stay at least 15' from the mold, just in case. I will use Antheris's anti-ghast nose plugs and hold my breath when I first search the mold. If for some reason the spell did not put the mold into a dormant state, that should provide some protection. If the mold does not react when I first disturb it, it should be safe to breathe."

If no one objects, Gaerys proceeds with this plan.
Magnus, how much do mediocre small gems weigh? Less than a gold piece?

Also, can we keep track of treasure we put in the bag of holding in the treasure thread, rather than any individual's character sheet?

Computer +1
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#8 Post by Computer +1 »

Vorsyin uses the scroll and then withdraws to the doorway as Gaerys moves to investigate the mold. At the first sign of any activity from the mold he will retreat even further away.

saalaria
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#9 Post by saalaria »

Hollis collects the scrolls and dons the gauntlets, feeling the power they bestow coursing through his upper body.

"Ha now where are those giants? I think I could wrestle one to the ground right now!"

He will watch the rear whilst the others deal with the mold.

Magnus
Ranger
Ranger

#10 Post by Magnus »

Time: 10:15

Gaerys approaches the yellow mold with due caution. As he squints through the bright light of Vorsyin's spell, he pokes his hands into the mold. He is surprised when the mold offers no resistance...it is as if it is not even there...the ranger soon realizes that the yellow mold is an arcane trick -- an illusion.

The ranger drags from behind the illusion: a quiver of fine arrows with Valyerian Steel tips, a black arrow with a great wyrm inscribed onto it, a suit of very fine Valyerian chain and a mostly-ruined spellbook, with a few choice bits of arcane knowledge remaining therein. Lorath immediately identifies the items as belonging to his former companions, which is both extremely useful but also unsatisfying in an odd way.

The party's bravery pays off handsomely! They are now ready as ever to proceed Against Darkness

Recovered:

--My suggestions/recommendations below. Even though he is being NPC'd, Lorath has to take something!

Arrows +2 (Lorath)
Arrow of Dragon Slaying (Lorath)

Valyerian chain suit +3 (Gaerys)

Spellbook:
Monster Summoning III
Locate Object
Jump
Infravision

(Useful for both mages, though should be held by Vorsyin...these spells can be copied into spellbooks or read as scrolls.)

NB: Antheris was killed when he was in animal form so all of his possessions were lost (other than the spear, which was already in Marcus's hands). The other two party members' equipment was ruined by the ghasts.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by Zhym »

Gaerys, impressed by the Valyrian armor, turns to Lorath the spellsword. "This belonged to one of your companions," he says, holding up the chain mail. "Such fine armor should be an heirloom. Is there anyone to whom its ownership passes by right? If so, I would ask to wear it until it can be returned to its rightful owner." Assuming Lorath consents, Gaerys performs a quick wardrobe change into the new armor. He stashes his old armor into his pack* and pulls his black tunic over the armor. It would be a shame to paint such fine armor black.

When he has changed into the new armor, he asks the other party members if they have any instructions before he leaves to scout. If not, he pulls his cloak around him, tries to blend into the shadows, and carefully works his way toward the passage leading south out of the main dungeon hall. He uses his mirror to look around corners and the goggles to check for traps, particularly near the secret door and in the south hallway.

Gaerys adds one more comment to Vorsyin before setting off. "I would leave it to your discretion whether you think it worth using a spell to see what's in the locked chest."
*Or the bag of holding, if people think that's better. Carrying the old armor drops Gaerys's movement rate to 90'. I'm a bit worried about putting too many of our magical eggs in one, er, bag, in case that bag is stolen, but if people think it would be better for Gaerys to move at 12" move rate, he'll stash it in the Bag.

Magnus: If this is too much to try to do in one post, I apologize and please truncate as necessary. I'm not sure how much you want to cover in one move.
Last edited by Zhym on Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Computer +1
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#12 Post by Computer +1 »

Vorsyin takes the found spell book from Gaerys. Should I hold on to this until we return or would you prefer to? he asks Lorath. If Lorath agrees to let him hold it he carefully opens it and inspect the book to see what spells it contains.
The surviving spells are appealing to Vorsyin and, if not for the incoming attack to the Fist, he would like nothing more then to retire in study of its contents for a few days.

He is busy looking over the spells when Gaerys's question snaps him out of his concentration.
He looks over at the chest and thinks for a moment.
Do you gamble? I do not. I have a spell ready to open a lock but I think it would be best held in case we are trapped behind a door. He pauses for a moment before continuing, Then again, an item that could help us in our fight could lay within.

This decision should be made as a group.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by Zhym »

"For what it's worth," offers Gaerys, "I did not detect magic from that chest. Whether that was because it's an iron chest or because nothing magical lies within, I cannot say without knowing the thickness of the chest's walls. So make of this information what you will."

saalaria
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#14 Post by saalaria »

"A conundrum in no mistake, I am inclined to say leave it as we have found many items to aid us in our quest and surely we are pushing our luck. How about we leave the chest until later - if its still here, its a sign from the Gods we should open it?"

Magnus
Ranger
Ranger

#15 Post by Magnus »

Time: 10:20

The party takes and distributes the items found under the illusion.

The party discusses their final loose end: the still-locked chest. Gaerys and Vorsyin defer to the group. Hollis, and then Lorath, vote for moving on from the chest for now. A majority reached, the party makes its next move...sending their ranger out to scout.

Gaerys carefully works his way toward the passage leading south out of the main dungeon hall. He uses his mirror to look around corners and the goggles to check for traps, particularly near the secret door and in the south hallway. He finds no such traps, and otherwise finds the main dungeon hall quiet and unoccupied, save for the predictable pile of rotting corpses.

As he reaches that passage, he notes that the dim light from the torches fades to inky blackness approximately 20' down the wide hallway. He will need to employ a light source (or other means to see). The ranger knows that any light source would likely give his presence away and attempting to navigate darkness without sight - especially alone - would be suicide.

Gaerys also recalls that some hornfeet, among other cave-dwelling wildlings, have developed the ability to "see" in the dark through a combination of low-light vision, coupled with acute hearing and smell. Presumably, the undead also do not need light to "see." None of the party knows whether the mysterious and foul marsh giants require light to be effective in combat.

Does the ranger return to gather the group to blaze the trail together or does he have a trick of some kind to navigate the darkness?

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by Zhym »

Gaerys hates venturing where he has no idea what lurks, but he has no tricks to navigate the darkness. He returns to the others and suggests that they set out in (what now passes for) force.

Computer +1
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#17 Post by Computer +1 »

If the darkness is a problem we could use a spell from the recovered book to grant you the ability to see in the dark. He grimaces slightly, The magic would then be lost and I would be unable to cast it again but, this may be the best use for it anyway.

If everyone agrees, Vorsyin will cast Infravision on Gaerys so improve his scouting ability. He silently mourns the loss of the magical recipe.

Magnus
Ranger
Ranger

#18 Post by Magnus »

Lorath votes against burning the spell for a one-time use. The intelligent mage argues that "the spell will better serve the party when it can be cast upon more than one of our group...save it for the future. And, in any event, any advantage of surprise or scouting will be negated when the party follows up on our scouting efforts bearing light sources. Let us storm the dungeon by force now -- moving with swiftness and as much subtly as the situation allows.

*Just to be clear, I am in full-out NPC mode here...not trying to steer the party in any direction via the voice of an NPC. The party is locked and loaded for the next stage of the adventure.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by Zhym »

Gaerys agrees with Lorath. "That spell is too valuable to use only once, unless it means the difference between life and death. Keep it for future days and future battles."

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by drpete »

Ethan ages with Lorath. "Let's just hit them, and hard. If we move fast, we should be able to do some damage... But save the loud spells for after the alert has been raised. Darkness is not our ally today."
GM: Dwimmermount (ACKS)

Zim: 7/7 | Torgyr: 14/14 | U Tar: 3/3 | Nazares: 6/6| Emm: 9/9 |Quinn: 13/13
Ranulf: 10/10 | Solaine: 12/12 | Liam: 4/4 | X | Randolpho: 10/10 | Audi: 8/8

Return to “Against the Giants (OSRIC)”